Fundraising/Donor love

Discussion of financial interests of Wikimedia and companies who contribute, or simply spend money on a Wikipedia presence.
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Fundraising/Donor love

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:18 pm

In January 2019, the Wikimedia Foundation fundraising team asked our donors a single question: Is there anything you want to say to the volunteers who make the Wikimedia projects possible? The result was enchanting. More than 5,000 donors took the opportunity to express their thanks, gratitude, and love for the contributors who give the world the joy of free and open knowledge. Here is just a sample of their messages to you.
Meta

As a matter of interest, surely these donors' messages are copyright and the WMF has no right to post them on Meta, implying that there is a CC licence.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Re: Fundraising/Donor love

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:21 pm

That's because the vast majority of those donors don't edit and don't know how the sausage is made. if they took the time to edit and see the hostile environment for themselves they likely wouldn't give another cent.

It's also worth noting that I have talked to several people and have seen complaints online about the WMF taking money the individual didn't agree too. In several cases they intended to make a one time donation and then it took them several months to stop it. Apparently it's very easy to give money and next to impossible to stop it once it's started.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:32 am

Kumioko wrote:It's also worth noting that I have talked to several people and have seen complaints online about the WMF taking money the individual didn't agree too. In several cases they intended to make a one time donation and then it took them several months to stop it. Apparently it's very easy to give money and next to impossible to stop it once it's started.
That might be worth looking into - if you can find any links to someone saying that, then by all means, please spill. There are plenty of people who agree that the WMF has more money than it needs, wastes a lot of what it gets, and keeps asking for more anyway, but I'm having a hard time finding (at least via the search engines) anyone saying they abuse automatic monthly debiting. Frankly I wasn't even aware they did that at all, though that's hardly surprising since I've obviously never donated any money to them.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:40 pm

the thing at the top of the page when I open a Wikipedia page wrote: Hi, reader in the UK, it seems you use Wikipedia a lot; that's great! It's a little awkward to ask, but this Saturday we need your help. If you have already donated, we sincerely thank you. We’re not salespeople, but we depend on donations averaging £10, and fewer than 1% of readers give. If you donate just £2, the price of your coffee this Saturday, Wikipedia could keep thriving. Thank you.
Why do they assume that I drink coffee?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:37 pm

el84 wrote:
the thing at the top of the page when I open a Wikipedia page wrote: Hi, reader in the UK, it seems you use Wikipedia a lot; that's great! It's a little awkward to ask, but this Saturday we need your help. If you have already donated, we sincerely thank you. We’re not salespeople, but we depend on donations averaging £10, and fewer than 1% of readers give. If you donate just £2, the price of your coffee this Saturday, Wikipedia could keep thriving. Thank you.
Why do they assume that you only pay £2?

el84
Gregarious

Unread post by el84 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:14 pm

Poetlister wrote:
el84 wrote:
Why do they assume that you only pay £2?
They assume we buy it from McDonalds.

Silent Editor
Regular
Wikipedia Review Member: Silent Editor

Unread post by Silent Editor » Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:13 am

You'd think, after all these years of asking for money, they'd have overcome the awkwardness of so doing.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:13 pm

Silent Editor wrote:You'd think, after all these years of asking for money, they'd have overcome the awkwardness of so doing.
"Awkwardness" works.

There are lots and lots of things WP does incompetently, including virtually every single last thing that involves spending money, but raising money — that they do very, very well. I wonder how low their fundraising cost is compared to other organizations of comparable size? I imagine it is excellent. Their steady increase in quantitative terms speaks for itself.

RfB

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:31 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Silent Editor wrote:You'd think, after all these years of asking for money, they'd have overcome the awkwardness of so doing.
"Awkwardness" works.

There are lots and lots of things WP does incompetently, including virtually every single last thing that involves spending money, but raising money — that they do very, very well. I wonder how low their fundraising cost is compared to other organizations of comparable size? I imagine it is excellent. Their steady increase in quantitative terms speaks for itself.

RfB
They don't need to spend anything on advertising; they just put banners up on Wikipedia. Presumably there are transaction costs in receiving the money via Paypal or whatever, but those can't be huge.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:19 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
"Awkwardness" works.

RfB
They don't need to spend anything on advertising; they just put banners up on Wikipedia. Presumably there are transaction costs in receiving the money via Paypal or whatever, but those can't be huge.
The WMF does have a fundraising team though, with lots of salaries to pay. Which is largely the point of the fundraising really, to pay WMF salaries.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:01 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
"Awkwardness" works.

RfB
The WMF does have a fundraising team though, with lots of salaries to pay. Which is largely the point of the fundraising really, to pay WMF salaries.
True enough, but I'll bet that cost is well under 1% of money raised, which is kicking ass for a non-profit raising money.

Observation: Fundraising costs would be an excellent budget line to hide shit that one wanted to hide, if someone wanted to hide controversial expenses.

RfB

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:18 am

Randy from Boise wrote:True enough, but I'll bet that cost is well under 1% of money raised, which is kicking ass for a non-profit raising money.RfB
But for a non-profit raising money under false pretences, to keep the servers running, when it's actually just to pay salaries? How do similarly dishonest non-profit organizations compare to that?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:34 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:True enough, but I'll bet that cost is well under 1% of money raised, which is kicking ass for a non-profit raising money.RfB
But for a non-profit raising money under false pretences, to keep the servers running, when it's actually just to pay salaries? How do similarly dishonest non-profit organizations compare to that?
You will never, ever hear me defending WMF in that regard. But give the devil his due.

RfB

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:30 am

Randy from Boise wrote:True enough, but I'll bet that cost is well under 1% of money raised, which is kicking ass for a non-profit raising money.
Probably more like 5 percent, but admittedly that's still not bad.

(It's an easy "ballpark"/guesstimate calculation actually, because they claimed to have taken in $100M in their last financials, there are just under 30 employees in the fundraising staff, and there are about 300 employees total, so it's 10 percent of the employees, and their salary expenses are about $40M, so that's 10% of $40M = $4M, but I'm rounding it up to $5M because the fundraising staff probably get paid more than most of the WMF people.)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:30 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:True enough, but I'll bet that cost is well under 1% of money raised, which is kicking ass for a non-profit raising money.

(It's an easy "ballpark"/guesstimate calculation actually, because they claimed to have taken in $100M in their last financials, there are just under 30 employees in the fundraising staff, and there are about 300 employees total, so it's 10 percent of the employees, and their salary expenses are about $40M, so that's 10% of $40M = $4M, but I'm rounding it up to $5M because the fundraising staff probably get paid more than most of the WMF people.)
I'm surprised there are that many people but doubt that they make more than the average, executives being executives and engineers being engineers and all.

RfB

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:37 pm

The WMF is in the position that it needs more and more staff so must raise more and more money to pay them. Its overheads are pretty high. The proportion of its expenditure that goes towards its stated objectives is far lower than for most charities, as thekohser was fond of pointing out.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:17 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:

Salary is only one component of the cost of employing someone, so you could probably quite comfortably double your estimate to at least 10%.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:21 pm

Poetlister wrote:The WMF is in the position that it needs more and more staff so must raise more and more money to pay them. Its overheads are pretty high. The proportion of its expenditure that goes towards its stated objectives is far lower than for most charities, as thekohser was fond of pointing out.
I don't think it needs more and more staff, just that it's driven by an insane agenda to create meaningless roles as jobs for the boys and girls.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:30 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

Salary is only one component of the cost of employing someone, so you could probably quite comfortably double your estimate to at least 10%.
I think the salary costs in the accounts include pension contributions and so forth. They don't include the cost of renting the building, and of course with fewer staff they might have a smaller hence cheaper office.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

I think the salary costs in the accounts include pension contributions and so forth. They don't include the cost of renting the building, and of course with fewer staff they might have a smaller hence cheaper office.
That's not the way it usually works; salary is what's on your payslip, not all the hidden costs.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:40 pm

They must have an annual expense report going into great detail about these things, yes?

RfB

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:10 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:They must have an annual expense report going into great detail about these things, yes?

RfB
No great detail. From the auditor's report for 2017-2018, first column is 2018. The only category employee benefits like insurance, pensions, wellness programs etc. would fit into would be salaries and wages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:42 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Poetlister wrote:I think the salary costs in the accounts include pension contributions and so forth. They don't include the cost of renting the building, and of course with fewer staff they might have a smaller hence cheaper office.
That's not the way it usually works; salary is what's on your payslip, not all the hidden costs.
When I've seen audited accounts of bodies of which I'm a member, all staff costs are always lumped together as one item.

SLW80
Contributor

Unread post by SLW80 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:11 pm

This is awkward to admit, but I have to be honest: 98% of our readers don't give; they simply look the other way. And without more one-time donors, we need to turn to you, our past donors, in the hope that you'll show up again for Wikipedia, as you so generously have in the past.

If all our past donors gave a small amount today, our fundraiser would be over. But most people will ignore this message. We have no choice but to turn to you: please renew your gift to ensure that Wikipedia remains independent, ad-free, and thriving another year.

Let me share what your donation means to us: We are a non-profit and believe knowledge should be free. In times when the internet has been contaminated with the interests of a few, we survive without ads, without shareholders, and without profit. The articles that millions of people read on Wikipedia each day are created by volunteer editors and supported by only 350 staff members. The bottom line: Your donation means a lot. It keeps knowledge neutral and free.

Wikipedia is different in that it doesn't belong to the highest bidder, the advertisers or the corporate giants. It belongs to you, the readers, editors and donors. You're our community, our family. You're the reason we exist. The fate of Wikipedia rests in your hands and we wouldn't have it any other way.

It's folks like you who safeguard our non-profit mission. You help us maintain our integrity, quality, and accessibility. And today, you have the power to keep this wonderful website free and independent for another year.
From the fundraising e-mail I got today.

Ha! Not a chance, Katherine. Not after I've seen your numbers. And not while you've got grifters all through that 350.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:36 pm

SLW80 wrote:Ha! Not a chance, Katherine. Not after I've seen your numbers. And not while you've got grifters all through that 350.
Why do they need 350? There were only 300 Spartan soldiers at the Battle of Thermopylae! :B'

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:14 pm

This is awkward to admit, but I have to be honest: 98% of our readers don't give;
What a turn! I've expected: "This is awkward to admit, but I have to be honest: we are asking you for money" :rotfl:
No-shame:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:29 am

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 am

Jans Hammer wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:29 am
Research has shown that American consumers value @Wikipedia at about $42 billion...
"Research," in this case, consists of a single article in the Harvard Business Review claiming that "the median value that U.S. consumers place on Wikipedia is about $150 a year." They're not saying how they chose their sample (my guess would be Harvard students, or worse, Harvard graduates), but they do at least admit that the number is based on how much respondents say they would pay, "validated" by choosing a few respondents at random, actually having them avoid the site for a month or two, and paying them that amount. Anyway, based on this, they're taking a population of 280 million US consumers (a dodgy number in itself) and simply multiplying by 150 to get Wikipedia's "consumer surplus value."

Obviously, anyone who has ever tried to get large numbers of people to actually pay for non-specialized static web content of any kind (aside from pornography, maybe) will tell you this is an absurd methodology. You might be able to get a large number of people to shell out some money for access to Wikipedia if there was no free alternative, but of course someone will always come out with a free alternative. And in any event, that number isn't likely to be all that close to 280 thousand, much less 280 million.

It might be more accurate to say that people would pay something for access to reference information in general, because (from their perspective at least) they already do in the form of ISP internet access fees. But we'll never really know how many or how much people would be willing to pay for "encyclopedia access," because Wikipedia exists.

I guess the WMF realizes that too, so they figure they can get away with saying whatever ridiculous thing(s) they want on the subject.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:25 am

Poetlister wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:36 pm
SLW80 wrote:Ha! Not a chance, Katherine. Not after I've seen your numbers. And not while you've got grifters all through that 350.
Why do they need 350? There were only 300 Spartan soldiers at the Battle of Thermopylae! :B'
Yes, but there weren't only Spartans, there were also Thespians and Thebans, making a force of more than a thousand, so plenty of scope for the WMF to expand.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:33 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:46 am
It might be more accurate to say that people would pay something for access to reference information in general, because (from their perspective at least) they already do in the form of ISP internet access fees. But we'll never really know how many or how much people would be willing to pay for "encyclopedia access," because Wikipedia exists.
In the UK at least, public libraries offer free online access to the Encyclopedia Britannica, so that's the benchmark. Why pay for a far inferior product?

el84
Gregarious

Unread post by el84 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:59 pm

I can't be arsed to start a new thread for this.

Just clicked on Wikipedia's home page, and was confronted with this banner:
To all our readers in the UK,
Please don't scroll past this. This Wednesday, for the 1st time recently, we humbly ask you to defend Wikipedia's independence. 98% of our readers don't give; they look the other way. If you donate just £2, or whatever you can, Wikipedia could keep thriving. Most people donate because Wikipedia is useful. If Wikipedia has given you £2 worth of knowledge, take a minute to donate. Our community of volunteer editors ensures that the information you read here is evidence-based and reliant on facts. If you are one of our rare donors, you have our gratitude, and we warmly thank you. Your donation matters.
At least they aren't being awkward this time?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:21 pm

el84 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:59 pm
Our community of volunteer editors ensures that the information you read here is evidence-based and reliant on facts.
It's good of the WMF to remind people that it's the (unpaid) volunteers who provide the content and of course receive little or no benefit from the donations the WMF seeks.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:50 pm

If Wikipedia has given you £2 worth of knowledge, take a minute to donate.
Or, if Wikipedia has denied you thousands in income and other opportunities due to unfairly-advantage free-sector competition, maybe just take 15 years to help us point out how damaging it's been to world culture, journalistic/academic standards, and society in general.
Our community of volunteer editors ensures that the information you read here is evidence-based and reliant on facts.
So maybe people should just give them the money instead.

Without Comfort
Banned

Unread post by Without Comfort » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:25 am

They don't even include a link to their financials that prospective donors might wish to examine. I wonder if they A/B tested that because I'd have thought it would fool more people into giving than the number it would dissuade when they realized the WMF is rolling in dough.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:47 am

As ever, Andreas sums things up beautifully.
The figures in the Annual Plan make interesting reading when contrasted
with the fundraising banner a proportion of Wikipedia readers in the UK
were shown today. It said,

*To all our readers in the UK,*

*Please don't scroll past this. This Wednesday, for the 1st time recently,
we humbly ask you to defend Wikipedia's independence. 98% of our readers
don't give; they look the other way. If you donate just £2, or whatever you
can, Wikipedia could keep thriving. Most people donate because Wikipedia is
useful. If Wikipedia has given you £2 worth of knowledge, take a minute to
donate. Our community of volunteer editors ensures that the information you
read here is evidence-based and reliant on facts. If you are one of our
rare donors, you have our gratitude, and we warmly thank you. Your donation
matters.*

Similar fundraising banners are also being shown to readers in Japan, where
the month-long campaign has just kicked off.

So at the same time as readers in the UK and Japan are told that money is
needed today to "defend Wikipedia's independence", the WMF plans to
increase its annual spending by $38 million, mostly to benefit its
"Thriving Movement focus area". (The WMF has also just exceeded its own
published revenue year goals for the 2020/2021 year by at least $50
million.)

I am appalled at the lack of correspondence between the banner texts and
actual spending plans.

Andreas

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:07 pm

15 Jul 10:21 p.m.
A few responses to questions raised here about the annual plan:

Thanks Mike for your question about community input into the annual plan, which I answered
briefly on Meta [1]. Yes, you are correct that the annual plan is a finalized product as
it has been each year since the launch of the Foundation’s Medium Term Plan (MTP) in 2019
[2]. Basically, the Annual Plan is a set of commitments on areas of work along with goals.
It is produced through Foundation teams connecting the long term ambitions voiced through
collaboration with volunteer communities with our budget, staff, legal and fiduciary
requirements, technical systems, and other constraints. It’s not meant to be a list of
activities that we’ll do - this level of detail is worked out (and evolves a lot!)
throughout the year in collaboration with volunteers within individual projects. But the
annual plan guides Foundation teams in building their strategies and work plans throughout
the year.

Andreas - yes, you are correct that the Foundation’s annual budget has increased by $38
million this year, with the largest part of this growth going to supporting a thriving
Wikimedia movement. The Foundation has budgeted for a 157% increase in “Thriving
Movement” from last year, meaning this budget category has roughly doubled in size as part
of the Foundation’s overall budget. These new funds include an overall grants budget for
the movement that has almost doubled (from roughly $8 million to $15.6 million) and
support for initiatives like movement governance, movement strategy, better access to data
about the Wikimedia movement, and the Universal Code of Conduct.

In a world of widespread disinformation, sociopolitical instability, and threats to open
knowledge, a thriving and independent Wikimedia movement faces more challenges now than
ever before - and it is with the generosity of our donors across the world that our
movement answers this call.

Best,

Kelsi
kstinerowe(a)wikimedia.org
TL;DR - Because we can
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:24 pm

Andreas again.
Hi Kelsi,

Surely you realise I was commenting about the cognitive gap between
fundraising banners saying "This Wednesday, for the 1st time recently, we
humbly ask you to defend Wikipedia's independence" – as though you were
facing a financial threat – and your plans to increase your overall
spending by 35%.

This said, I am glad the current fundraising banners no longer tell people
to donate in order to "show the volunteers that their work matters". If
that's a sign of progress, then I for one am happy to see it.

Best,
Andreas

el84
Gregarious

Unread post by el84 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:21 pm

BIG RED BANNER AT THE TOP OF THE WIKIPEDIA HOME PAGE, AGAIN wrote: Hi reader, this Wednesday, for the 2nd time recently, we ask you to protect Wikipedia's independence. Thanks to the 2% of readers who donate, Wikipedia and the free knowledge movement are thriving. If you too have benefitted from using Wikipedia, take a minute to donate £2 to keep it growing for years. If you are one of our rare donors, we warmly thank you.
At least they can count (despite the awful grammar)?

el84
Gregarious

Unread post by el84 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:24 pm

Once more:
en.wikipedia.org/front page wrote: Hi, reader in the UK, it seems you use Wikipedia a lot; that's great! It's a little awkward to ask, but this Tuesday we need your help. If you have already donated, we sincerely thank you. We’re not salespeople, but we depend on donations averaging £10, and fewer than 2% of readers give. If you donate just £2, the price of your coffee this Tuesday, Wikipedia could keep thriving. Thank you.
Edited to add another one I got immediately after, along with a banner at the bottom of the screen, then one at the top of the screen begging as well:
en.wikipedia.org when you use an incognito window wrote:To all our readers in the UK,
Please don't scroll past this. This Tuesday, for the 1st time recently, we humbly ask you to protect Wikipedia's independence. 98% of our readers don't give; they look the other way. If you donate just £2, or whatever you can, Wikipedia could keep thriving. Most people donate because Wikipedia is useful. If Wikipedia has given you £2 worth of knowledge, take a minute to donate and help us create a world with more equal access to knowledge everywhere. If you are one of our rare donors, you have our gratitude, and we warmly thank you. Your donation matters.
Edited again as they sent me another different banner:
sigh wrote: Hi reader, this Tuesday, for the 2nd time recently, we ask you to protect Wikipedia's independence. Thanks to the 2% of readers who donate, Wikipedia and the free knowledge movement are thriving. If you too have benefitted from using Wikipedia, take a minute to donate £2 to keep it growing for years. If you are one of our rare donors, we warmly thank you.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:26 pm

"for the 1st time recently" :rotfl:

or was it the second... :thinking:

el84
Gregarious

Unread post by el84 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:34 pm

I got this one again on a random refresh:
en.wikipedia.org/front page wrote: Hi reader, this Tuesday, for the 2nd time recently, we ask you to protect Wikipedia's independence. Thanks to the 2% of readers who donate, Wikipedia and the free knowledge movement are thriving. If you too have benefitted from using Wikipedia, take a minute to donate £2 to keep it growing for years. If you are one of our rare donors, we warmly thank you.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:17 pm

I’m happy to announce the publishing of our annual fundraising report that
summarises fundraising activities for the financial year covering July 1,
2020 - June 30, 2021.

Fiscal year 2021 was an extremely pivotal time for the Wikimedia
Foundation’s commitment to providing reliable and neutral information to
the world. The COVID-19 pandemic shaped many of our experiences during this
time, and as the world moved online, we experienced a significant increase
in Wikipedia’s traffic as well as donor support. The 2020-2021 Fundraising
Report <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundrai ... -21_Report>
provides insight into our revenue model and the strategy that goes into
creating an impactful fundraising campaign to ensure the Wikimedia movement
has the resources it needs to thrive. ...

We welcome your feedback and questions on the talk page
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Fu ... -21_Report>.
I suppose someone could ask how much more money the WMF needs to thrive. It seems to have ample.

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:02 am

the world.
Surprised to learn that the WMF claims a commitment to providing reliable and neutral information, while simultaneously professing a profound disinterest in, and corresponding lack of responsibility for, the content of the community produced works hosted on its servers.

Of the two stances, which is "spin"?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:00 pm

Ryuichi wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:02 am

the world.
Surprised to learn that the WMF claims a commitment to providing reliable and neutral information, while simultaneously professing a profound disinterest in, and corresponding lack of responsibility for, the content of the community produced works hosted on its servers.

Of the two stances, which is "spin"?
This is a fundamental problem for the WMF. It claims its non-profit status, and WMUK and I think other chapters claim charitable status, because of the claimed educational value of Wikipedia and the work they do to encourage this. For example, WMUK arranges editathons and Wikipedians in Residence. Why doesn't this amount to some responsibility for contents?

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:14 pm

The foundation is buying ads on google to raise money.
wikimedia foundation - Google Search.png

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:23 pm

Jimmy Wales’ Final Email
Jimmy, knock it off with the scummy donation requests. Ask politely, but don’t try to guilt me into donating. Stop lying about who the email is from and stop saying this is your “final” email.

I won’t ask again.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:54 pm

tarantino wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:23 pm
Jimmy Wales’ Final Email
Jimmy, knock it off with the scummy donation requests. Ask politely, but don’t try to guilt me into donating. Stop lying about who the email is from and stop saying this is your “final” email.

I won’t ask again.
Someone "in good standing" should post this, exactly like that, on Jimbo's talk page, just to see if/how he responds. I'd do it, but I'd just be met with "first edit in x months - obvious trolling".

el84
Gregarious

Unread post by el84 » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:57 pm

I just got the "This Tuesday, for the 2nd time recently" banner, again.

They're apparently doing a full banner campaign on enwiki starting at the end of this month. I haven't seen where the last one finished.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:14 pm

There's now a long thread on Hacker News about this, started by the guy who wrote the Medium post.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:59 pm

tarantino wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:14 pm
There's now a long thread on Hacker News about this, started by the guy who wrote the Medium post.
bashmack 12 minutes ago | root | parent | next [–]

It's the best kept secret of Wikipedia that the volunteers generally despise the Foundation, and their long history of being unresponsive to their concerns and slow to act on their priorities while forcing the volunteers to adapt to what the Foundation finds things to spend all this money on, is a big reason for it.
lol

Someone should post a link to WO there.

BLPs get a mention.
jart 3 hours ago | root | parent | next [–]

The problem is their sources on living persons is usually clickbait and tabloids. If you feel like you've been treated unfairly, then there's no authority you can appeal to at Wikipedia. Even if you know an admin, they use a consensus process where if one of these anonymous accounts doesn't like you then they do nothing, and doing nothing for them means all the cruel, biased, misleading, false, and harassing content written by guys with names like Dingolover6969 remains as your #1 google search result. So what can you do other than sue for libel? Problem is you might as well be suing Santa Claus, since not many people understand what Wikipedia does, and these constant donation drives buy them an army of lawyers who'll just point the finger at the tabloids. There's no accountability for them either. The only chance you have of making a successful case is if you can argue you're not a public figure, but it's hard to make that argument if you're an open source developer. Even if you're a billionaire, it might take you ten years and millions of dollars to hold just one online tabloid accountable, only to see it sold off at bankruptcy to another head of the hydra that keeps its old harassing content on the web as read-only static content so that Wikipedia can continue to cite it.
WO should start a paid service to handle BLPs Gone Wild.
Metaphorically!
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.