Don't Worry About Singularity, We Can't Even Copy an Amoeba

Internet Fads, Fallacies, and GroupThink - and their influence on Wikipedia.
Information must be free, as is your hard work.
EricBarbour

kołdry

Don't Worry About Singularity, We Can't Even Copy an Amoeba

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:02 am

Artificial Intelligence, Really, Is Pseudo-Intelligence

By a UC Berkeley philosophy instructor. Replete with raging nerd comments, mostly from "Gravitas Shortfall", such as:
I don't have words to express just how fundamentally wrong this statement is. Can we please have articles on here from people who actually have even the faintest clue what they're talking about?
It was posted on Slashdot, where similar snotty putdowns ensued.

It never fails. Point out that the AI field has resulted in very little in the way of actual "intelligence", and that the wonderful Singularity still is nowhere in sight, and nameless manchildren will crawl out of their mancaves and scream at you. I suspect that "transhumanists" tend to be very smart, but broken, minds.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Re: Don't Worry About Singularity, We Can't Even Copy an Amo

Unread post by lilburne » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:18 am

hahaha! I'm amused that they always bring up chess and the Kasparov game in these discussions. Deep blue managed to win because they gave up on AI and resorted to brute force. By the mid 1990s processor speeds were such that positions could be analyzed in depth, no AI involved at all. Let them produce a chess program that plays like Mikhail Tal, or Emanuel Lasker.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:00 am

Back in the day, I felt the two things you needed to do were to encourage your AI routine to make mistakes, evaluate against survival and environmental exploitation statistics, and if a mistake worked well, have a subroutine incorporate new code in the AI's own programming once per generation to make that mistake more likely. I did this in C. It offended the classic AI types. Oh, I always intended to create more than one instance and have them interact socially, but could not get that part to work. The hardware we have now is SO much better I bet if I picked this up again, I could get it to do some weird stuff. *mulls* They have Swarm OS (no Wikipedia article?) and mesh networking (T-H-L) now. I could implement this in small mobile devices.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:16 pm

Old CS joke: "What do you call AI that works? 'Programming.'"

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:28 am

Zoloft wrote:Back in the day, I felt the two things you needed to do were to encourage your AI routine to make mistakes, evaluate against survival and environmental exploitation statistics, and if a mistake worked well, have a subroutine incorporate new code in the AI's own programming once per generation to make that mistake more likely. I did this in C. It offended the classic AI types. Oh, I always intended to create more than one instance and have them interact socially, but could not get that part to work. The hardware we have now is SO much better I bet if I picked this up again, I could get it to do some weird stuff. *mulls* They have Swarm OS (no Wikipedia article?) and mesh networking (T-H-L) now. I could implement this in small mobile devices.
Newly (barely?) formed intelligences communicating in pseudo information via mobile devices?

Did you just invent Twitter?
-----------
Notvelty