Ted Rall fired from PandoDaily over CIA "secret"

Internet Fads, Fallacies, and GroupThink - and their influence on Wikipedia.
Information must be free, as is your hard work.
Stierlitz
Regular
kołdry
Wikipedia User: not a Wikipedian
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Ted Rall fired from PandoDaily over CIA "secret"

Unread post by Stierlitz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:28 am

(Note: I'm not doing another PandoDaily thread unless they collapse or their building catches fire.)

Last weekend Ted Rall was fired from PandoDaily right before he was to publish the name of a CIA officer. David Sirota was also canned for BS reasons. Rall wrote a column on what happened. Some quotes:
I know the identity of the man who was CIA chief of station in Kabul — up until just a month ago.

Turns out the exact name of the top spook in Afghanistan was circulated in an email to 6000-plus reporters. It showed up on an attendance list of senior U.S. officials participating in a meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama during his surprise visit with U.S. troops.

The government spotted the error and asked journalists not to post it.

The journalists agreed! Yet it’s still all over the Internet.
....We intended to publish the name. This was not to endanger him — impossible in any case because Langley already has yanked him off his spook post. We intended to publish it as a way of taking a stand for brave reporting and adversarial media.

Journalists ought to publish news wherever they find it, whatever it is, damn the consequences.

Credible media organizations don’t protect government secrets. They don’t obey spy agencies and take their requests like waiters.

Real journalists don’t cooperate with government — any government, any time, for any reason.

My editor and I believed that, by demonstrating a little fearlessness, we might inspire other media outfits to grow a pair and stop sucking up to the government.

Only problem is, now there is no longer a “we.” Pando fired me over the weekend, along with the investigative journalist David Sirota.
Where I found out about this:
The White House asked reporters to dutifully “zip it” and that’s exactly what they did. The one reporter who dared to cross the line and mention the station chief’s name and in print, Ted Rall, was summarily fired before he got the chance.
And that was from here. Thank you, Bill Blunden.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: Ted Rall fired from PandoDaily over CIA "secret"

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:21 am

Stierlitz wrote:(Note: I'm not doing another PandoDaily thread unless they collapse or their building catches fire.)

Last weekend Ted Rall was fired from PandoDaily right before he was to publish the name of a CIA officer. David Sirota was also canned for BS reasons. Rall wrote a column on what happened. Some quotes:
I know the identity of the man who was CIA chief of station in Kabul — up until just a month ago.

Turns out the exact name of the top spook in Afghanistan was circulated in an email to 6000-plus reporters. It showed up on an attendance list of senior U.S. officials participating in a meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama during his surprise visit with U.S. troops.

....We intended to publish the name. This was not to endanger him — impossible in any case because Langley already has yanked him off his spook post. We intended to publish it as a way of taking a stand for brave reporting and adversarial media.

Journalists ought to publish news wherever they find it, whatever it is, damn the consequences.

Credible media organizations don’t protect government secrets. They don’t obey spy agencies and take their requests like waiters.

Real journalists don’t cooperate with government — any government, any time, for any reason.

My editor and I believed that, by demonstrating a little fearlessness, we might inspire other media outfits to grow a pair and stop sucking up to the government.

Only problem is, now there is no longer a “we.” Pando fired me over the weekend, along with the investigative journalist David Sirota.
The White House asked reporters to dutifully “zip it” and that’s exactly what they did. The one reporter who dared to cross the line and mention the station chief’s name and in print, Ted Rall, was summarily fired before he got the chance.
Not sure about the timing of the firing, the Rall piece describing the incident is printed in the current issue of ''The Progressive Populist'' (a newspaper, anybody remember those?) and I've had that for damned near a week.

tim

Stierlitz
Regular

Unread post by Stierlitz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:42 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Stierlitz wrote:(Note: I'm not doing another PandoDaily thread unless they collapse or their building catches fire.)

Not sure about the timing of the firing, the Rall piece describing the incident is printed in the current issue of ''The Progressive Populist'' (a newspaper, anybody remember those?) and I've had that for damned near a week.

tim
He said the 25th, which was last Friday. His "Rallblog" didn't mention it at all except maybe cryptically.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:22 pm

Actually this is fairly old news, it happened sometimes in June I think. Its still a pretty profound thing thought that the White house communications office blundered so badly, but it happens.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:23 am

An anonymous source alerted Valleywag to the firings. Neither Rall nor Sirota would comment on why they were fired. But there was a consensus among sources that the decision was not related to budgetary concerns. "It was completely from Sarah Lacy. Paul was the executioner. Apparently it came from complaints from investors in Pando," according to one Valleywag source. "Sarah basically said there was not enough tech and too much politics."
Sarah Lacy is an incompetent "journalist". This does not surprise me.
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/03 ... zucke.html

Besides, her "investors" are among the worst people available in the valley. Read PandoDaily (T-H-L), especially the "Events" part. Pando's own investors (Thiel, Hoffman, Hsieh) use their "tech news website" as a soapbox.

I could go on and on about Peter Thiel. He's a "libertarian" in quotes.

Stierlitz
Regular

Unread post by Stierlitz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:20 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
An anonymous source alerted Valleywag to the firings. Neither Rall nor Sirota would comment on why they were fired. But there was a consensus among sources that the decision was not related to budgetary concerns. "It was completely from Sarah Lacy. Paul was the executioner. Apparently it came from complaints from investors in Pando," according to one Valleywag source. "Sarah basically said there was not enough tech and too much politics."
Sarah Lacy is an incompetent "journalist". This does not surprise me.
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/03 ... zucke.html

Besides, her "investors" are among the worst people available in the valley. Read PandoDaily (T-H-L), especially the "Events" part. Pando's own investors (Thiel, Hoffman, Hsieh) use their "tech news website" as a soapbox.

I could go on and on about Peter Thiel. He's a "libertarian" in quotes.
I agree that Pando is a Silly Valley Libertarian rag; after all, they would publish articles by Tim Worstall, and I loathe how they have these "adver-articles" from this company or that "thought leader." Rall worked for them because the number of publications picking up his cartoons has dropped. The only reason I look at Pando is that it has the survivors of the NSFWCorp crew who were ex-eXile writers, and I liked that "expats in Moscow" publication. In a better world, Pando would have gone belly up and NSFWCorp would have survived, and poor David Sirota would have somewhere decent to work.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Stierlitz wrote:after all, they would publish articles by Tim Worstall
Looks like he's been editing his own Wikipedia bio, or paying someone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... d=73251934
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Co ... /James1071

And someone else chopped it down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =557456420

Worstall is (was?) also one of the world's leading dealers in rare earths. He's mentioned all over Theodore Gray's website.
In a better world, Pando would have gone belly up and NSFWCorp would have survived, and poor David Sirota would have somewhere decent to work.
If these gents were wise, they would get a job with Greenwald's new thing, The Intercept. But then, it was also funded by a Silly Valley libertarian billionaire (Omidyar), and will probably end up with the same problems.

Stierlitz
Regular

Unread post by Stierlitz » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:52 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Stierlitz wrote:after all, they would publish articles by Tim Worstall
Looks like he's been editing his own Wikipedia bio, or paying someone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... d=73251934
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Co ... /James1071

And someone else chopped it down.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =557456420

Worstall is (was?) also one of the world's leading dealers in rare earths. He's mentioned all over Theodore Gray's website.
In a better world, Pando would have gone belly up and NSFWCorp would have survived, and poor David Sirota would have somewhere decent to work.
If these gents were wise, they would get a job with Greenwald's new thing, The Intercept. But then, it was also funded by a Silly Valley libertarian billionaire (Omidyar), and will probably end up with the same problems.
NSFWCorp was possibly the only publication to slam both Greenwald and Omidyar and The Intercept, so that bridge has been burnt.

Worstall playing around with his Wikipedia bio, or having some schmuck intern do it, sounds like something he would do. Guy is pompous and boring, if he didn't write for Forbes magazine I would assume he was a business blogger or small-time hack.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:18 am

Stierlitz wrote:NSFWCorp was possibly the only publication to slam both Greenwald and Omidyar and The Intercept, so that bridge has been burnt.
Which makes me glad that I saved their lengthy attack on Omidyar. It appears that all of NSFWCorp's content is gone, purged when Pando took over.

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:37 am

Rall: "Journalists ought to publish news wherever they find it, whatever it is, damn the consequences." link What a psycho.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:01 am

Anthonyhcole wrote:Rall: "Journalists ought to publish news wherever they find it, whatever it is, damn the consequences." link What a psycho.
So, are you in favor of censoring Wikipedia?

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:34 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Anthonyhcole wrote:Rall: "Journalists ought to publish news wherever they find it, whatever it is, damn the consequences." link What a psycho.
Alec, I'll take 'Loaded Questions for $400.'

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:19 am

EricBarbour wrote:
I'm in favour of Wikipedia acting morally; which includes taking into account the consequences of its actions.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
I'm in favour of Wikipedia acting morally; which includes taking into account the consequences of its actions.
That would certainly change the culture of the place a bit, and for the better.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:01 am

How the Snowden Leaks Gave Pierre Omidyar a Cause — and an Enemy
By Andrew Rice, New York Magazine, 2 November 2014 linkhttp://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... media.html[/link]

This article may be of interest to posters here. Omidyar and his Foundation have been mentioned on this site from time to time. The charitable activities of Wikipedia Zero's South African "partner", the Praekelt Foundation, are entirely funded by the Omidyar Network: linkviewtopic.php?f=6&t=3043&p=68635&hilit= ... ion#p68635[/link]
former Living Person

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:09 am

Wow, if ever there was a "too long, didn't read" article in NY Magazine, that's it.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:52 am

Just as an aside: it's now on Wikipedia. Complete with incorrect dates.

List of CIA station chiefs (T-H-L)
Gregory Vogel: Kabul ?-2004[16]
An article that was created in 2013 ... by The Cunctator. Amazing he's still around.