Two more Reddit horror shows for your amusement

Internet Fads, Fallacies, and GroupThink - and their influence on Wikipedia.
Information must be free, as is your hard work.
EricBarbour

kołdry

Two more Reddit horror shows for your amusement

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:12 am

First: "For the third time in two years, feminists at a major Canadian university interrupt a male issues lecture on campus. The feminists yelled and talked over the lecturer, blew air horns in the lecture room, and later pulled a fire alarm to sabotage the lecture." (warning: stupid and loud)
Which produced a massive Reddit thread, full of raging against the "evil feminists". Inevitably, some of it was split off and stuck into r/shitredditsays, where massive downvoting ensued. By this time, r/shitredditsays has become a sewer of racist, misogynist, and other invective/trolling.

Second: this post, about the notorious Richard Dawkins critique of Sokal and Bricmont's Intellectual Impostures, the greatest work of mockery of the absurd parts of postmodern philosophy ever written. But the Reddit post isn't about the postmodernists Sokal and Bricmont tore into, it was about one French feminist, Luce Irigaray, and her rather bizarre and eccentric ideas. Mockery ensued.
(The latter story relates to Wikipedia. Go and look at Luce Irigaray (T-H-L). Especially the talkpage. That "LotLE" editor who spent years trying to defend Irigaray against criticism? That's David Mertz. Remember him?)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Re: Two more Reddit horror shows for your amusement

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:40 pm

EricBarbour wrote:First: "For the third time in two years, feminists at a major Canadian university interrupt a male issues lecture on campus. The feminists yelled and talked over the lecturer, blew air horns in the lecture room, and later pulled a fire alarm to sabotage the lecture." (warning: stupid and loud)
Which produced a massive Reddit thread, full of raging against the "evil feminists". Inevitably, some of it was split off and stuck into r/shitredditsays, where massive downvoting ensued. By this time, r/shitredditsays has become a sewer of racist, misogynist, and other invective/trolling.

Second: this post, about the notorious Richard Dawkins critique of Sokal and Bricmont's Intellectual Impostures, the greatest work of mockery of the absurd parts of postmodern philosophy ever written. But the Reddit post isn't about the postmodernists Sokal and Bricmont tore into, it was about one French feminist, Luce Irigaray, and her rather bizarre and eccentric ideas. Mockery ensued.
(The latter story relates to Wikipedia. Go and look at Luce Irigaray (T-H-L). Especially the talkpage. That "LotLE" editor who spent years trying to defend Irigaray against criticism? That's David Mertz. Remember him?)
:rotfl:

(Too bad it's not really funny.)

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:56 pm

This thread deserves this banner:

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Johnny Au wrote:This thread deserves this banner:
So does en.Wikipedia. ColonelHenry would have been blocked for his repeated PAs against a male, but not against me.

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:58 am

There is currently no article on Janice Fiamengo in Wikipedia.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:34 am

Cla68 wrote:There is currently no article on Janice Fiamengo in Wikipedia.
Can you imagine how messy that would get?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:20 pm

Reddit is yet another general content box, just a little more organized than 4chan.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:36 pm

:welcome: to Textnyymi.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Drowninginlimbo
Critic

Unread post by Drowninginlimbo » Sun May 18, 2014 5:15 am

Textnyymi wrote:Reddit is yet another general content box, just a little more organized than 4chan.
I'm not entirely convinced that Reddit is any better than 4chan. At least the filth on 4chan disappears before it has the time to fester and inspire more filth. It's true that some of the content on certain boards like /b/ and /pol/ boards is disturbing, but the users don't take its sexist content nearly as seriously as those on subreddits such as /r/theredpill and /r/mensrights.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun May 18, 2014 6:25 am

Drowninginlimbo wrote:I'm not entirely convinced that Reddit is any better than 4chan. At least the filth on 4chan disappears before it has the time to fester and inspire more filth. It's true that some of the content on certain boards like /b/ and /pol/ boards is disturbing, but the users don't take its sexist content nearly as seriously as those on subreddits such as /r/theredpill and /r/mensrights.
Not to mention r/spacedicks, r/beatingwomen, r/eatingwomen, r/niggas, r/gonewild and numerous offshoots, etc. etc.

Plus the "meta" section r/shitredditsays, always full of the worst of Reddit.

Our collection of Reddit garbage just keeps getting longer and longer. And we are supposed to be focusing on Wikipedia. Reddit is such an insane, deviated place, you can't look away.

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Sun May 18, 2014 9:53 am

EricBarbour wrote: Our collection of Reddit garbage just keeps getting longer and longer. And we are supposed to be focusing on Wikipedia. Reddit is such an insane, deviated place, you can't look away.
Actually, I have always found it very easy to avoid Reddit, which is something less true of Wikipedia. I don't know if this is based on forum structure, or just on some form of google-fu of which I was not aware.

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Sun May 18, 2014 10:17 am

2 years ago Reddit was ranked as the 150th most visited site globally.
Today it's ranked as the 58th most visited site globally, 21st in the US. It's much more popular than 4chan, ranked as 1055th most visited site.
Since it's structured like Usenet and other BBS sites, there may be another "Eternal September" effect taking place, with teenagers and people with smartphones invading the site and driving away users who would like a more controlled and serious environment.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Sun May 18, 2014 4:59 pm

Blame CGP Grey (T-H-L) as well:
Notice that his channel cannot be viewed with safety mode on.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sun May 18, 2014 5:35 pm

greybeard wrote:Actually, I have always found it very easy to avoid Reddit, which is something less true of Wikipedia. I don't know if this is based on forum structure, or just on some form of google-fu of which I was not aware.
It depends on your interests. For some topic areas, the reddit subforum for that topic is the best available source of information. I rarely end up on a reddit forum as a direct result of a search, though; I usually end up there after chasing links for a while (e.g. end up on a blog, wiki, or traditional forum that then links to a reddit thread). I rather suspect that Google penalizes linksharing sites (e.g. reddit, digg, stumbleupon), either intentionally or as a side-effect of its antispamming algorithms, while Wikipedia obviously gets upscored in Google search results.

Outside of topically specific subreddits, though, Reddit is a seething mass of DramaDramaDrama. That's the problem with being a content vehicle with no specific goals or aspiration. The high-traffic non-topically-specific Reddits are just firehoses pumping out whatever crap they can find as fast as they can, and the main measure of success is how many eyeballs you can attract. Nothing attracts attention like an ongoing trainwreck.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon May 19, 2014 1:30 am

Kelly Martin wrote:It depends on your interests. For some topic areas, the reddit subforum for that topic is the best available source of information. I rarely end up on a reddit forum as a direct result of a search, though; I usually end up there after chasing links for a while (e.g. end up on a blog, wiki, or traditional forum that then links to a reddit thread). I rather suspect that Google penalizes linksharing sites (e.g. reddit, digg, stumbleupon), either intentionally or as a side-effect of its antispamming algorithms, while Wikipedia obviously gets upscored in Google search results.
Because Gizoogle luv Wikipedia. Jimbo Is Ouw Widdle Fwiend For Evew and Evew, he give us Fwee Stuff. :pbbbt:
Outside of topically specific subreddits, though, Reddit is a seething mass of DramaDramaDrama. That's the problem with being a content vehicle with no specific goals or aspiration. The high-traffic non-topically-specific Reddits are just firehoses pumping out whatever crap they can find as fast as they can, and the main measure of success is how many eyeballs you can attract. Nothing attracts attention like an ongoing trainwreck.
Lately it appears that Reddit has been cracking down on a lot of outright trolling on the major/popular sections. I bet they are constantly being pressured by users to "clean it up", especially the misogyny and the political squabbling. (The sysops recently made r/TwoXChromosomes a "major" subreddit, putting it on the top list that all new users see by default. It was promptly attacked by a wave of angry misogynist boys, and requested to be made "semi-private" again. Try this as an example.)

I also bet Reddit's management are being harassed by investors to improve their rankings, which would require making Google like them better somehow. Have fun with that, kids.

(Like headaches? http://www.reddit.com/r/rainbowbar)

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon May 19, 2014 4:25 pm

According to the BBC, Reddit is popular with males 18-30 (which happens to be exactly the same demographic that likes CGP Grey's videos). That demographic is most likely to condone misogyny in public (note films, television shows, and video games that target that demographic mainly have misogyny).

Drowninginlimbo
Critic

Unread post by Drowninginlimbo » Fri May 30, 2014 2:17 am

Johnny Au wrote:According to the BBC, Reddit is popular with males 18-30 (which happens to be exactly the same demographic that likes CGP Grey's videos). That demographic is most likely to condone misogyny in public (note films, television shows, and video games that target that demographic mainly have misogyny).
It being most popular with males 18-30 does not surprise me at all. The misogynistic content is probably the most disturbing aspect of the website because it is so widespread. I feel so sorry for the moderators at feminist related forums on there. I read that the forum that shares the most commentators with r/feminism is r/mens rights. This is not true the other way around (it's r/askmen I think). That means that there are more people posting on r/feminism who also post on r/mensrights than those on any other forum on the website. Considering the way that men's rights posters act, let alone the red pill filth, I am not surprised that female users are not thriving on the website.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri May 30, 2014 2:27 am

Alexa presents a contradictory analysis: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/reddit.com