"Cyberbullying" topic -> Crowdsourcing will save us

Internet Fads, Fallacies, and GroupThink - and their influence on Wikipedia.
Information must be free, as is your hard work.
560wasbullied
Contributor
kołdry

"Cyberbullying" topic -> Crowdsourcing will save us

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Hello. I wanted to say hello to this forum and I'm glad it's here. A few months back, I participated in editing a page on wikipedia (I am going to withhold details now until i publish them on the web shortly). The reason I jumped in with gusto was primarily I was shocked at the level of personal bias that was being conveyed on a BLP page - and in my opinion it was clear that a small group of editors took over a page and were bullying others away from it.

I was probably over confident at the time I could make a difference, but committed to this none the less. I researched as much as I could WP policy to understand how WP addresses various issues. I even hired a friend of mine who is an experienced wikipedian to help me with references and WP policy, to make sure I was following protocols.

Within 3 days of being on the page, I was harassed and had my personal identity and previous online activities going back 8 years brought into the discussion. I challenged this immediately in admin and I thought the issue was resolved, as the guilty party retracted and offered me an olive branch.

A few weeks later, I began formalising my arguments on the page - and many of them were taking root, with numerous other editors jumping on the page and supporting them.

A few weeks later, I was accused of sockpuppetry (which was dismissed) but then accused of trolling - with links to activities I participated in 8 years ago (off wikipedia, on one discussion forum) as the sole proof. There was no evidence provided that showed I was disruptive to the actual page in question.

What ensued was a horrible case of harassment and bullying, with members of that community sharing my personal information, getting me banned off of WP for life - and then publishing libelous information about me as a sort of hit piece on another site.

What is unique about my case is that it's so clear - the steps these editors took, and the blind eye of the admins has produced somewhat of a 'perfect storm' case study of abuses on wikipedia, and with support of friends and associates, I have decided to take my case public.

Which brings me here. I plan on going public within the week. I am curious to know of other stories or histories of cyber bullying on Wikipedia. I believe my case is crystal clear - and I am willing to go public in the hopes that it will make a difference, but also in the hopes that I will also clear my name.

Any advice, assistance, or help greatly appreciated. I'll post full transparent details soon. thank you!
Last edited by Zoloft on Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Changed title because topic changed, natch

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Re: A clear case of Cyberbullying on Wikipedia - my case

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Welcome to Wikipediocracy, I guess...? :unsure:

Without knowing your relationship (if any) to the BLP subject in question, i.e., whether or not the subject is you, it would be a little premature to point out past situations that are similar. However, I can almost guarantee that whatever has happened in your case, it's happened before, probably many times. Defamation is Wikipedia's stock-in-trade for a substantial percentage of their user-base, including quite a few administrators.

Why do you use the term "clear my name," though? Were you accused of something that is/was actually illegal, or are you just talking about this alleged use of multiple Wikipedia accounts? I mean, you did say that you "hired" someone to help, and while there's nothing illegal about that, it's something you should probably keep to yourself - whether or not the person actually posted any edits to the same article(s).

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:15 pm

Interesting story. I don't think anyone can help you or give an assessment without details. To be frank, I'm skeptical I'd share your perspective on whatever it was that might or might not have happened if I was given all the details.

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:36 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:Welcome to Wikipediocracy, I guess...? :unsure:

Without knowing your relationship (if any) to the BLP subject in question, i.e., whether or not the subject is you, it would be a little premature to point out past situations that are similar. However, I can almost guarantee that whatever has happened in your case, it's happened before, probably many times. Defamation is Wikipedia's stock-in-trade for a substantial percentage of their user-base, including quite a few administrators.

Why do you use the term "clear my name," though? Were you accused of something that is/was actually illegal, or are you just talking about this alleged use of multiple Wikipedia accounts? I mean, you did say that you "hired" someone to help, and while there's nothing illegal about that, it's something you should probably keep to yourself - whether or not the person actually posted any edits to the same article(s).
thx for your response! that's what I want to find, cases of this happening before. My case (i believe, as well as a few others) is crystal clear example. I believe the recent WP controversy over PR firms creating account and using paid editors with an agenda is somewhat of a strawman - the real issue is that agenda based editors can game the system and no one needs to pay them anything.

I want to clear my name because I was outed on Wikipedia, my personal identity revealed - and editors there are also involved on another wiki (wont post the name yet) and created a page about me - posting incredibly libelous information about me (continuing of course the theme that I was 'trolling'). I'm a professional in my industry, I am actually involved in collective editing platforms, so this is damaging to my professional reputation - thus I need to present my side of the story publically now since these editors are using my real name to discredit me.

Oh, and by hired someone, is was entirely harmless. I did not hire them to edit at all, just consult me on proper WP protocol, and help me with making sure my references were proper - that's it. I put a lot of my time and resource into making that page better.

I'll post more and reveal the case and who I am once I post it to the web.

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:40 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Interesting story. I don't think anyone can help you or give an assessment without details. To be frank, I'm skeptical I'd share your perspective on whatever it was that might or might not have happened if I was given all the details.
I think even the most ardent skeptic would agree - my case is very clear and straightforward. I was harassed and then banned for disrupting wikipedia, and there was absolutely zero evidence of me disrupting anything in the talk pages. It was all based on activities that happened 7 years previously on a discussion forum that no longer even exists. My case is supported very clearly in all the diffs. I actually spoke to an attorney about this - re: cyberbullying. My options were 1.)I could go to the FBI, an entirely unappealing option 2.) or I could fork over $100k and fight it as a civil case. Since both of those are unlikely, my only option is to get in front of this and explain my case as honestly as I can in full transparency. thx for stopping by!

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:00 pm

560wasbullied wrote: ... My case is supported very clearly in all the diffs. I actually spoke to an attorney about this - re: cyberbullying. My options were 1.)I could go to the FBI, an entirely unappealing option 2.) or I could fork over $100k and fight it as a civil case. Since both of those are unlikely, my only option is to get in front of this and explain my case as honestly as I can in full transparency...
i'm a big fan of dueling.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:08 pm

Way too few specifics for anyone to say anything informative.

A mystery person edited a mystery article but was bullied by mystery article-owners and the mysterious real life identity revealed, etc.

Publish your piece and then open a thread here if that's the sequence you want to do things...

RfB

P.S. Welcome to WPO, by the way...

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:A mystery person edited a mystery article but was bullied by mystery article-owners and the mysterious real life identity revealed, etc.
After further consideration, I'd be willing to bet my shorts that this is related to the Rupert Sheldrake bio (which we've already discussed somewhat), Mr. 560wasbullied is User:Tumbleman (T-C-L), and he's already posted a fair amount of material about it, including this post on Tumblr.

Luckily for me, it's wintertime here, so I'm not actually wearing the shorts.

This is not to say that he doesn't have a legitimate case to be made, but if he's defending Sheldrake, he'll be starting at a disadvantage, which might explain the "feeling-out" nature of the initial post here.
Last edited by Alison on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed a URL :) - Allie

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:45 pm

thanks for the welcomes! I appreciate it, and I will reveal very soon once the site is ready. I came here before to see if I could find similar cases while I am putting the site together, so if anyone can direct me to any of them or point me in the best place to look, I appreciate it.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:29 pm

560wasbullied wrote:thanks for the welcomes! I appreciate it, and I will reveal very soon once the site is ready. I came here before to see if I could find similar cases while I am putting the site together, so if anyone can direct me to any of them or point me in the best place to look, I appreciate it.
You might be able to write a good article about it, but you won't be able to do so without putting the spotlight on yourself. Wikipedia administrators are fish happily swimming in the waters of suspicion not fact, so anything that is unknown works to their advantage. It automatically becomes the most awful thing it possibly could be. Unless the suspect is an administrator, in which case it automatically becomes the most benign thing it possibly could be.

Not to be disrespectfully, but I've a feeling you'll mull it over more and decide it's not worth the hassle and then we'll not hear from you again. If on the other hand you manage a rough draft, you can post it here and I'm sure you'll get advice and assistance and pointers to other cases.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Bottled_Spider
Critic
Wikipedia User: None
Wikipedia Review Member: Bottled_Spider

Unread post by Bottled_Spider » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:16 pm

560wasbullied wrote: Any advice, assistance, or help greatly appreciated. I'll post full transparent details soon. thank you!
Alas, your case is all too common on Wikipedia, 560. My advice, when participating in Wikidrama on pages involving infamous pseudoscientists and raving quacks like Mr. Sheldrake is to amass a gargantuan army of sock-and-meatpuppets and attack, attack, attack. And then attack some more (element of surprise, y' see). And don't be stingy on issuing legal threats; these can be very effective when dealing with WikiEnemies. Your article - yes, there's nothing wrong with considering Rupert's article as yours - is your legacy and should be fought for as if it were your own child, or at least a distant relative like a third cousin twice removed, say. I'm rooting for you, here.

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:03 am

Very funny Bottled Spider - it's as if the voice of Vzaak was speaking through you :)

Anyway - I have a first pass of my entire case. I have written it in the simplest and plainest of language for the layman to read and will be going public with this shortly. I still have a lot of editing to do on it. If anyone here is *genuinely* interested in previewing my case and offering a critical eye, I would appreciate it.

If you are interested, please send me a PM. I need to be very protective of this for the time being, and will need a set of assurances if you want an invite for a preview.

1.)A general agreement for non disclosure of materials I share.

2.)A link to a facebook or linked in profile where I can confirm your identity to make sure you are not one of my detractors.

3.)an email address to send invite that matches the facebook or linked in page.

Many thanks!

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:20 am

560wasbullied wrote:Very funny Bottled Spider - it's as if the voice of Vzaak was speaking through you :)

Anyway - I have a first pass of my entire case. I have written it in the simplest and plainest of language for the layman to read and will be going public with this shortly. I still have a lot of editing to do on it. If anyone here is *genuinely* interested in previewing my case and offering a critical eye, I would appreciate it.

If you are interested, please send me a PM. I need to be very protective of this for the time being, and will need a set of assurances if you want an invite for a preview.

1.)A general agreement for non disclosure of materials I share.

2.)A link to a facebook or linked in profile where I can confirm your identity to make sure you are not one of my detractors.

3.)an email address to send invite that matches the facebook or linked in page.

Many thanks!
I don't like the smell of any of this.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:44 am

DanMurphy wrote: I don't like the smell of any of this.
former Living Person

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:49 am

560wasbullied wrote: Anyway - I have a first pass of my entire case.
Does it have anything to do with OS 0 1 2 , Rome?

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:50 am

Mancunium wrote:
DanMurphy wrote: I don't like the smell of any of this.
You should talk.

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:34 pm

thx everyone so far. lol nothing nefarious in my questioning at all. I just don't want any of my wikipedia detractors to review this before it goes public. I assume none of them would want me to know who they are so my litmus test is it's own filter. If I am transparent so should anyone who wants to review the evidence.

I'll make sure it's posted here when it's public though!

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:41 pm

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:51 pm

560wasbullied wrote:thx everyone so far. lol nothing nefarious in my questioning at all. I just don't want any of my wikipedia detractors to review this before it goes public. I assume none of them would want me to know who they are so my litmus test is it's own filter. If I am transparent so should anyone who wants to review the evidence.

Look, if you have the goods, give us the goods. Otherwise, you obviously don't have the goods and you are wasting our time.

Quit playing games or go elsewhere.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:14 pm

The Joy wrote:
560wasbullied wrote:thx everyone so far. lol nothing nefarious in my questioning at all. I just don't want any of my wikipedia detractors to review this before it goes public. I assume none of them would want me to know who they are so my litmus test is it's own filter. If I am transparent so should anyone who wants to review the evidence.

Look, if you have the goods, give us the goods. Otherwise, you obviously don't have the goods and you are wasting our time.

Quit playing games or go elsewhere.
:axemurderer:
...sooon...

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:07 pm

560wasbullied wrote:thx everyone so far. lol nothing nefarious in my questioning at all.
Since you don't seem to be very good at reading the subtleties, here's the sitch:

We don't know you, but you're trying to get us to buy into a story you don't want to tell just yet, and you're phishing for identities with the promise of some potentially interesting story. That doesn't really go well with this particular crowd.
This is not a signature.

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:01 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
560wasbullied wrote:thx everyone so far. lol nothing nefarious in my questioning at all.
Since you don't seem to be very good at reading the subtleties, here's the sitch:

We don't know you, but you're trying to get us to buy into a story you don't want to tell just yet, and you're phishing for identities with the promise of some potentially interesting story. That doesn't really go well with this particular crowd.
I am sharing it now privately with a few people - and the right people on this forum already have access to it.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:07 am

560wasbullied wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:

I am sharing it now privately with a few people - and the right people on this forum already have access to it.
Damn, it's your private club, and I am not a member. I is sad.

Next time, make your private announcements private. Then keep them private forever.

Ohhhh, I got a secret, and I told some privileged people, and, oh, you are not one of them.

Can a mod make this thread too exclusive for me to participate?

And so forth, and on and on.

And blah, blah, blah.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:46 am

:topicsucks:

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:22 am

Ruh roh, someone call a waaahmbulance!

That's ok, we'll make our own club...with blackjack and hookers...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:59 am

Lock the thread. Burn with fire.

RfB

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:40 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Lock the thread. Burn with fire.
What, just when we're starting to have some fun? :(

Anyway, I bet you'll be sorry when Mr. 560's Big Reveal turns out to be an exciting new multi-level investment opportunity that could provide financial freedom to you and your family for generations to come.

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:28 am

Midsize Jake wrote:

Anyway, I bet you'll be sorry when Mr. 560's Big Reveal turns out to be an exciting new multi-level investment opportunity that could provide financial freedom to you and your family for generations to come.
But wait! There's less!

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:20 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:

Oh! You are right! I just got an e-mail from the family priest in Nigeria! I am going to help him get his money out of Nigeria.

:offtopic: :fool: :fool: :dalek:

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:31 pm

I'm very sorry if anything I communicated led to this perception! I'm not revealing it publicly because it's not ready! I'm still editing it. It's a very detailed summary.

I came here to find some information so I could finish it properly and was hoping I could get some pointers from the community here. I am very sorry if this was taken in any other form.

Zoloft and another admin and i have been in touch via email - and they do have this report so far. Zoloft should be able to confirm it's real. I dont mind if anyone else reads it first, just not one of my detractors, who as evidenced from this thread, visit this forum often.

Okay, I am sure I will get even more reactions to this, please make sure they are funny :)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:21 pm

560wasbullied wrote:I'm very sorry if anything I communicated led to this perception! I'm not revealing it publicly because it's not ready! I'm still editing it. It's a very detailed summary.

I came here to find some information so I could finish it properly and was hoping I could get some pointers from the community here. I am very sorry if this was taken in any other form.

Zoloft and another admin and i have been in touch via email - and they do have this report so far. Zoloft should be able to confirm it's real. I dont mind if anyone else reads it first, just not one of my detractors, who as evidenced from this thread, visit this forum often.

Okay, I am sure I will get even more reactions to this, please make sure they are funny :)
I could say, "I honestly don't have the slightest idea why anyone would want to bully you," but the enormously sarcastic tone of my voice would be lost in the translation.

Put up or shut up. :-() <--------mirthful smirk to wrongfully imply that I'm not completely serious.

RfB

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:52 pm

560wasbullied wrote:

What ensued was a horrible case of harassment and bullying, with members of that community sharing my personal information, getting me banned off of WP for life
Don't worry, you'd be banned from wikipedia even after you die because for most administrators, arbitrators and other sickos wikipedia policies are more important than a well being and even the life itself of a real person, no matter how stupid those policies are.
Last edited by neved on Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:14 pm

560wasbullied wrote:I'm very sorry if anything I communicated led to this perception! I'm not revealing it publicly because it's not ready! I'm still editing it. It's a very detailed summary.

Well, I'll AGFIARWS (Assume Good Faith In A Real World Sense) and let you have a pass... for now. :banana:

We do have a blog here. If you think you could write your story into a blog post, talk to Zoloft or one of the staff/mods and we'll work with you. The worst we can say is "no."
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:39 am

560wasbullied wrote:I'm very sorry if anything I communicated led to this perception! I'm not revealing it publicly because it's not ready.
If it's NOT ready, then don't say ANYTHING about it. You could have e-mailed a couple of people here.

That's one blog I won't be reading. Your best move is not humor, but silence, and it would have been useful engaging it not only here before you annoyed people, but that failure was probably the root of your perceived Wikipedia issue, also.

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:32 am

Thanks for the good will and tip @The Joy. I've been in contact here and have emailed with the folks here, am still waiting for responses. I am sending you a link as well for your private viewing.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:04 am

560wasbullied wrote:Thanks for the good will and tip @The Joy. I've been in contact here and have emailed with the folks here, am still waiting for responses. I am sending you a link as well for your private viewing.
Damn, once more bullied into my proper place of being excluded. I is so unpopular.

Can someone close this, or move it to the little boys club at Wikipedia?

:deadhorse:

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:39 am

enwikibadscience wrote:
560wasbullied wrote:Thanks for the good will and tip @The Joy. I've been in contact here and have emailed with the folks here, am still waiting for responses. I am sending you a link as well for your private viewing.
Damn, once more bullied into my proper place of being excluded. I is so unpopular.

Click on the offender's profile button at the bottom of their post. In their profile, there is a link called "add foe" - click that.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:54 am

Zoloft wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:

Click on the offender's profile button at the bottom of their post. In their profile, there is a link called "add foe" - click that.
No idea what that does, but it felt good. Thank you.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:46 am

enwikibadscience wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:

You won't see their posts or any topic they start. Sadly mods and admins here can't use that link.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:58 am

Zoloft wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:

You won't see their posts or any topic they start. Sadly mods and admins here can't use that link.
:bow:

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:19 pm

ok - here is a preview. Still touching things up tho. it will be on this url for the next few days before it goes live officially on 'Wikipedia, we have a problem.com'

https://sites.google.com/site/wikipedia ... me/summary

Newyorkbrad
Gregarious

Unread post by Newyorkbrad » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:38 pm

560wasbullied wrote:ok - here is a preview. Still touching things up tho. it will be on this url for the next few days before it goes live officially on 'Wikipedia, we have a problem.com'

I strongly recommend that you remove the link to the video of your son from your website.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:46 pm

Ok. Our mystery poster (if he's telling the truth) is Rome Viharo.

Here is Mr. Viharo and a friend giving a talk about how knowledge can be obtained from plants by singing to them and positing that the google search algorithm is a sentient being. And "memes." Lots and lots of "memes."
Hey Mr. Viharo: "Social media is now being held as responsible for the collapse of the Egyptian government." No. Only by idiots. His friend says: "You must admit it's stimulating to consider that Google consciousness already exists and a sentient web is now attacking the very power structures that threaten its existence in the middle east."

Neither of you have any idea what you're talking about. Pretty much blinkered techno-libertarian claptrap with a sprinkling of new age nonsense all the way down.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:54 pm

And their username, having wandered through a few things to find it, was Tumbleman (T-C-L). Who disappeared for over four years, returning to jump into the Rupert Sheldrake debate, from what I can see. And appears to have done next-to-nothing from August 2013 (ie, when he returned) right up until his block in October 2013 other than things directly involving this issue.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:37 pm

It's too long of course, but aside from that, it does describe the process well and makes some effort to apply the specific case to the general problem (though not as much as would be ideal). The biggest problem is that it's not enough, and is in fact counterproductive, to simply say "I'm writing this from my perspective so I accept that the account will be biased" (and by implication, that you will be accused of same). You should give some sort of explanation of the underlying controversy, and you should state the biases of the other side and why they exist, denigrating them if you must. If you don't do this, people will simply reject your whole thesis as one-sided and self-serving.

This appears in Paragraph 3, and similar statements occur throughout.
I accept - my account of what occurred, regardless of how honest I believe I am being, is inherently going to contain my own natural bias as a human being.
No, this is incorrect, and also a dodge. The account actually contains your individual bias as a proponent of ideas that have been treated similarly to those of Rupert Sheldrake, if not of Sheldrake's ideas themselves. There is no "natural" bias involved here at all, and your status as a "human being" is completely irrelevant - and will (or at least should) be treated as such by most objective readers.

The thing is, by admitting you're a proponent of such ideas, you'd show the reader that you have the courage of your convictions. Otherwise you appear disingenuous, or even deceptive - it's just too easy for people to find and figure out what Sheldrake and his supporters are into. It may be that you can't accept that large numbers of people think Sheldrake is loony, or that perhaps you too are loony - which is perfectly fine, such as it is. But if that's the situation here, you shouldn't expect us to support you to the extent that we might support someone who openly admits that the hostility others have for him/her could be seen as legitimate, by a significant percentage of people.

That said, I can verify that a site-search on the word "atheist" returned zero results, and you use the word "agnostic" only to describe yourself, so you're way ahead on that score at least!

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:52 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Ok. Our mystery poster (if he's telling the truth) is Rome Viharo.

Here is Mr. Viharo and a friend giving a talk about how knowledge can be obtained from plants by singing to them and positing that the google search algorithm is a sentient being. And "memes." Lots and lots of "memes."
Hey Mr. Viharo: "Social media is now being held as responsible for the collapse of the Egyptian government." No. Only by idiots. His friend says: "You must admit it's stimulating to consider that Google consciousness already exists and a sentient web is now attacking the very power structures that threaten its existence in the middle east."

Neither of you have any idea what you're talking about. Pretty much blinkered techno-libertarian claptrap with a sprinkling of new age nonsense all the way down.
Hey Dan - did you have anything productive to contribute to the topic at all?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:58 pm

560wasbullied wrote:Hey Dan - did you have anything productive to contribute to the topic at all?
If you don't provide your own background info, others will be happy to provide it for you. It's one of the big reasons most of us are here, in fact.

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:It's too long of course, but aside from that, it does describe the process well and makes some effort to apply the specific case to the general problem (though not as much as would be ideal). The biggest problem is that it's not enough, and is in fact counterproductive, to simply say "I'm writing this from my perspective so I accept that the account will be biased" (and by implication, that you will be accused of same). You should give some sort of explanation of the underlying controversy, and you should state the biases of the other side and why they exist, denigrating them if you must. If you don't do this, people will simply reject your whole thesis as one-sided and self-serving.
THANK YOU! Yes it's painfully long and complex. Trying to whittle this down in easy steps is difficult. I'll put some thought into what you recommend above. Although my approach was to be a little conservative without judging the skeptics too much. I agree I should define the under lying problem clearer. good point!
Midsize Jake wrote:This appears in Paragraph 3, and similar statements occur throughout.
I accept - my account of what occurred, regardless of how honest I believe I am being, is inherently going to contain my own natural bias as a human being.
No, this is incorrect, and also a dodge. The account actually contains your individual bias as a proponent of ideas that have been treated similarly to those of Rupert Sheldrake, if not of Sheldrake's ideas themselves. There is no "natural" bias involved here at all, and your status as a "human being" is completely irrelevant - and will (or at least should) be treated as such by most objective readers.
hmmm, my point is that regardless of any bias I may have, wikipedia has all the evidence of what I write.

The thing is, by admitting you're a proponent of such ideas, you'd show the reader that you have the courage of your convictions. Otherwise you appear disingenuous, or even deceptive - it's just too easy for people to find and figure out what Sheldrake and his supporters are into.
I'm not a 'proponent' of Sheldrake's ideas. I am sympathetic to his story and his mistreatment, yes. I find his history interesting, yes. Do I propose his ideas are true? no. I am a proponent of being curious about many ideas and not being judged because of it. I am honestly an agnostic on the issue. I dont know why this is so hard for some people to accept. Because I find something interesting or curious does not mean I accept it at face value.

I also believe this is irrelevant to what happened on Wikipedia. I was arguing for a BLP, and only the lead section. I was arguing for 'basic data'. I think it's unfair to say what anyone believes personally about anything should be considered in defining their basic data about them.
It may be that you can't accept that large numbers of people think Sheldrake is loony, or that perhaps you too are loony - which is perfectly fine, such as it is. But if that's the situation here, you shouldn't expect us to support you to the extent that we might support someone who openly admits that the hostility others have for him/her could be seen as legitimate, by a significant percentage of people.
I'm not sure that's even true. I think large numbers of certain types of people think sheldrake's ideas are looney, but he is also widely popular. I dont care if people want to judge me for my work on Sheldrake's article. I intentionally took on a contentious subject.

That said, I can verify that a site-search on the word "atheist" returned zero results, and you use the word "agnostic" only to describe yourself, so you're way ahead on that score at least!
thank you! I truly am an agnostic and pride myself in being neither a believer or a denier - just someone who is curiouser and curiouser!

thanks for your feedback!
Last edited by Zoloft on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixie da quote stack

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:11 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
560wasbullied wrote:Hey Dan - did you have anything productive to contribute to the topic at all?
If you don't provide your own background info, others will be happy to provide it for you. It's one of the big reasons most of us are here, in fact.
thx for heads up!

my bio is here

http://www.romeviharo.com

the TEDx talk was about how we got the TEDx talk! 'Google Consciousness' and the web being sentient was intended clearly as a metaphor in our story. We even say 'We don't know what we're talking about!'. The metaphor signifies a 'global brain' as a way to look at the evolution of social media, including sites like Wikipedia and Google search, to evolve a process that will eventually replace government as we know it today. Lots talking about this idea too. Now Singularity Institute is promoting 'Bit Gov' (of which I am proud to be in talks with them over) It's a fun idea to consider. Not sure what the big controversy is for my detractors on this - lol storytelling is pseudoscience?

560wasbullied
Contributor

Unread post by 560wasbullied » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Newyorkbrad wrote:
560wasbullied wrote:ok - here is a preview. Still touching things up tho. it will be on this url for the next few days before it goes live officially on 'Wikipedia, we have a problem.com'

I strongly recommend that you remove the link to the video of your son from your website.
good point! I forgot who I was dealing with. thank you for the heads up. don't tell his mom she'll kill me :)