Perplexity

Internet Fads, Fallacies, and GroupThink - and their influence on Wikipedia.
Information must be free, as is your hard work.
No Ledge
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Perplexity

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:06 am

Ten years after The Daily Dot asked Is Google accidentally killing Wikipedia?, The New York Times asks Can This A.I.-Powered Search Engine Replace Google?

And now the worry isn't just whether Wikipedia is getting killed, but whether A.I. will kill the entire for-profit media industry.

Inquiring minds want to know

:flaming-v: still has a job, letting me know what questions to ask :D
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Perplexity

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:08 am

I've been playing with it, but it's not a general search engine.

I'm still on the fence.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:35 pm

I find it strange that as soon as you put the "AI" in front of something, it becomes magic. How do people think Google translates whatever gibberish I type in the search into a plausible query? When you ask your phone to tell you who did that song that goes la la la la, it's not someone typing it into Google for you. Sigh.

If I'm looking for facts, this kind of search engine is great, but a lot of the time when I am searching, I don't want "the answer" or a summary, I'm looking for where the search words exist so I can find their context or connections to other things.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:48 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:35 pm
If I'm looking for facts, this kind of search engine is great, but a lot of the time when I am searching, I don't want "the answer" or a summary, I'm looking for where the search words exist so I can find their context or connections to other things.
Yes. A kind of 'keyword in context'?
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:54 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
I find it strange that as soon as you put the "AI" in front of something, it becomes magic. How do people think Google translates whatever gibberish I type in the search into a plausible query? When you ask your phone to tell you who did that song that goes la la la la, it's not someone typing it into Google for you. Sigh.

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/ai-9
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:59 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
...for which Google has gotten increasingly bad of late. Checking GHits, or just looking for sources, is bread and butter WP work, and clickbait sites have been supplanted by results that are just flat-out wrong in that they don't actually include the search parameters.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:05 pm

Ming wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:59 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:
...for which Google has gotten increasingly bad of late. Checking GHits, or just looking for sources, is bread and butter WP work, and clickbait sites have been supplanted by results that are just flat-out wrong in that they don't actually include the search parameters.
Google is currently shit.

The results appear to be skewed towards commercial sites for any query more than in the past.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:56 pm

I frequently search for something in the last 24 hours. Often 1/3 to 1/2 of the results returned are to "how to pronounce" or a .online site that redirects to a sketchy site that blocks me because I'm using a VPN, but the description is nonsensical anyways.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:43 am

I tried a couple questions normally answered wrong by a large percentage of lower grade references, It answered them wrong, based, no doubt, on those poor sources.

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:18 pm

I agree with all the grumbling that Google has been getting less useful for a while now. In related news, one of their useful features is going away:

Ars Technica: Google will no longer back up the Internet: Cached webpages are dead

Cached pages were helpful when you followed Google search result link only to find that your search term wasn't in the page anymore, as just one example.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:49 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:18 pm
I agree with all the grumbling that Google has been getting less useful for a while now. In related news, one of their useful features is going away:

Ars Technica: Google will no longer back up the Internet: Cached webpages are dead

Cached pages were helpful when you followed Google search result link only to find that your search term wasn't in the page anymore, as just one example.
I noticed that yesterday.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:11 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:49 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:

Well, that lacks. they were a useful way of getting past the "you only have a limited number of views on this website" limits.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:24 pm

Ming wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:11 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:49 pm
Giraffe Stapler wrote:

Well, that lacks. they were a useful way of getting past the "you only have a limited number of views on this website" limits.
It was also really useful for seeing articles on news pages that showed up in search results but were transitory.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:33 pm

Google cache still works if you put cache:hyperlink in the search box like

Code: Select all

cache:https://www.facebook.com/TheWikipediaForum/

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:18 am

tarantino wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:33 pm
Google cache still works if you put cache:hyperlink in the search box like

Code: Select all

cache:https://www.facebook.com/TheWikipediaForum/
:like:

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:12 pm

The Man Who Killed Google Search

An in-depth article by Ed Zitron about why Google search sucks so badly, based in part on internal emails released during the DOJ's antitrust case against Google.