Existential crisis at Encyclopedia Dramatica

Internet Fads, Fallacies, and GroupThink - and their influence on Wikipedia.
Information must be free, as is your hard work.
Triptych
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Re: Please Explain Encyclopedia Dramatica to Me

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:03 pm

thekohser wrote:What questions do you still have after reading Encyclopedia Dramatica (T-H-L) and all of the reliable sources linked from there?
Like I told another person that private messaged me, excuse me, I did not suppose ED would have a Wikipedia article. I see now that it has an extensive and notorious history. Thank you for the tip.

I guess I'd still be interested to hear opinion on whether those web advertisements here and there all over the site are generating revenue enough to cover upkeep or a bit more.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:27 pm

Triptych wrote:
thekohser wrote:What questions do you still have after reading Encyclopedia Dramatica (T-H-L) and all of the reliable sources linked from there?
Like I told another person that private messaged me, excuse me, I did not suppose ED would have a Wikipedia article. I see now that it has an extensive and notorious history. Thank you for the tip.

I guess I'd still be interested to hear opinion on whether those web advertisements here and there all over the site are generating revenue enough to cover upkeep or a bit more.
I saw they moved ED to Wikia for a while but it eventually got axed there too. I can't imagine it would be that hard to setup, but given the nature of some of the content they would need to host in someplace that had a pretty liberal liability policy. Certainly anywhere in the US or UK would be shut down pretty quick.

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:41 pm

ED can't set up in Canada either, since it has strict anti-cyberbullying laws.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:39 pm

Triptych wrote:

I'm more interested in spyware and sundry nasties that seem to be lurking around every time I touch that site.

RfB

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:29 am

You need to talk to Alison. She used to be a big cheese there.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:42 am

Poetlister wrote:You need to talk to Alison. She used to be a big cheese there.
We have bigger ED cheeses than even Alison as members.
We have a bit of an ED community here, quietly participating.
Big tent (T-H-L) here.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Zoloft wrote: We have a bit of an ED community here, quietly participating.
Sending messages to each other in broad daylight, steganographically hidden in public posts using seekret ED codes. :ph34r:
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Hex wrote:
Zoloft wrote: We have a bit of an ED community here, quietly participating.
Sending messages to each other in broad daylight, steganographically hidden in public posts using seekret ED codes. :ph34r:
I still regret making "Scott Martin is a prat" the code for "Hello".
Sorry about that.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Stierlitz
Regular
Wikipedia User: not a Wikipedian
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Unread post by Stierlitz » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:28 pm

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:08 pm

:XD
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

EricBarbour

Wnt's ED talkpage is "interesting"

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:10 pm

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/index. ... cid=832089
Hey Wnt, it's me CensoredScribe. I slipped up and didn't take a screen capture, but Ryulongs been white washing the edit history on Wikipedia; made it look like I reverted myself 5 minutes after the fact on super sentai, but nothing else, during that size change categorization edit war. Also erased me asking for the permission to add to his majesty Ryulongs article turf, even though I asked politely on his talk page. I was hoping someone here might be able to collect evidence and get David Gerard and Ryulong both banned from Wikipedia and hopefully arrested. Right now they are flash mob castrating me of sysops privlidges and putting me in the vandal bin on Rationalwiki; even though I'm on most of their pages as Exiled Encyclopedist. David Gerard white washed the presidents of category slaveholder but left Muhhamad; he's an Islamophobe and a historically revisionist racist. Ryulongs edit warring rape isn't unremitting horror; and pretending to be gay and afraid I'm going to call on Annonymous to dox him, rather than get his ass caught fucking with the logs and reported to the feds; which would do more damage and be more just.

I know it's been a long time no see, could you help me? I've heard Ryulong got doxed here and I've already read the page on David Gerard which no one wants to talk about on Rational Wiki. I would like to add that Gerard wants to fuck a human animal chimera with questionable ability to consent, seeing as he defends bestiality and is edit warring over Rational Wiki's page for genetic engineering to exclude Britain's become the island of Dr. Moreau. David Gerard reminds me alot of J Edgar Hoover and Buffalo Bill. He's probably going to start attributing my edits to others; doesn't want me having influence through the Gautama Buddha page or telling people about zombie powder and conceiving their own primitive streak stage emrbyo's to avoid crippling medical debt, fopr medical care that still leaves one crippled an on pharamcuticals not even tested on female lab rats. He/she/that ass hole told me he has access to Rational Wiki's servers and can erase me from history at any time. Is it true I can find some feds here, I just found out interpol is a joke with an 86 million a year budget?

Oh yeah, check out my edits on Wikipedia to random material substances like concrete, plastic, black carbon, titanium, and gold; I wanted to develop the bacteriotherapy for alveolar macrophage idea a bit more by collecting some organisms that might be useful. Also please check out the shit storm on Rational Wiki's chicken coop. It's good to speak with you again, I didn't make too many friends on Wikipedia. I also wrote a bunch of Uncyclopedia stuff as Irritable of Contents putting fiction on trial, like with Darth Vader.

I finally figured out what your name is a reference to after looking through some pop science, it's a chemical involved in forming memories, correct? [[User:CensoredScribe|CensoredScribe]] 12:37, 10 January 2015 (EST)
Similar rant on Gerard's ED article.
https://encyclopediadramatica.se/index. ... did=704850

The guy's userpage on RW.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/User:Exiled_Encyclopedist
Yep, blocked by Gerard for "(EE is posting about my personal life)".
So, David, are you in fact interested in fucking human-animal chimeras?

Wikipedia, ED, RationalWiki, what's the difference? Same bunch of crazies on all of 'em.
And David Gerard = COMEDY.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Re: Wnt's ED talkpage is "interesting"

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:55 pm

I wouldn't trust "CensoredScribe". I undid his or her revisions to Gerald's article.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:14 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:I wouldn't trust "CensoredScribe". I undid his or her revisions to Gerald's article.
Gerald? :XD

And why would you "not trust" them any more or less than any other anonymous contributor?

Do you think they are not the same person as the wikipedia "CensoredScribe", and if so, why is that important?

I'm with Eric: Same bunch of crazies on all of 'em.

But I confess, your link just made my eyes glaze over, so if there was something which explained it all, and its importance, I probably didn't get that far. In that case, sorry.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:47 pm

Jim wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:I wouldn't trust "CensoredScribe". I undid his or her revisions to Gerald's article.

And why would you "not trust" them any more or less than any other anonymous contributor?

Do you think they are not the same person as the wikipedia "CensoredScribe", and if so, why is that important?

But I confess, your link just made my eyes glaze over, so if there was something which explained it all, I probably didn't get that far. In that case, sorry.
I meant "Gerard" but I'm glad to have made you smile.

Have you read anything CensoredScribe said? Have you read through his (Exiled_Encyclopedist's) RationalWiki's contributions? Most anons at least know how to speak and present themselves sensibly. Even EricBarbour uses the word "rant" in his post. What do you see when you read CensoredScribe's posts?

Wikipedia's CensoredScribe is a friend of Wnt and was involved in an argument with Ryulong. He's hasn't given me a reason to believe they're not the same person. Why do you believe that I would doubt that they're the same person? There isn't any benefit to impersonating CensoredScribe. Is CensoredScribe's involvement in Wikipedia important? Yes, the conflict on RationalWiki stems from earlier issues on Wikipedia, and it shows why CensoredScribe would approach Wnt at ED. It's also why he or she chose "CensoredScribe" as an username at ED rather than "Exiled_Encyclopedist"; he or she wanted to use an username that Wnt would recognize.

However, as everyone is saying, Same bunch of crazies on all of 'em, so I rather not spent too much time here berating one and defending another.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:35 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Jim wrote:

But I confess, your link just made my eyes glaze over, so if there was something which explained it all, I probably didn't get that far. In that case, sorry.
I meant "Gerard" but I'm glad to have made you smile.

Have you read anything CensoredScribe said? Have you read through his (Exiled_Encyclopedist's) RationalWiki's contributions? Most anons at least know how to speak and present themselves sensibly. Even EricBarbour uses the word "rant" in his post. What do you see when you read CensoredScribe's posts?

Wikipedia's CensoredScribe is a friend of Wnt and was involved in an argument with Ryulong. He's hasn't given me a reason to believe they're not the same person. Why do you believe that I would doubt that they're the same person? There isn't any benefit to impersonating CensoredScribe. Is CensoredScribe's involvement in Wikipedia important? Yes, the conflict on RationalWiki stems from earlier issues on Wikipedia, and it shows why CensoredScribe would approach Wnt at ED. It's also why he or she chose "CensoredScribe" as an username at ED rather than "Exiled_Encyclopedist"; he or she wanted to use an username that Wnt would recognize.

However, as everyone is saying, Same bunch of crazies on all of 'em, so I rather not spent too much time here berating one and defending another.
Don't be offended, Michael.

I just don't get any of it, and I thought you might explain. You did that a bit now.
"CensoredScribe is a friend of Wnt and was involved in an argument with Ryulong.". I didn't know that. Why would I?

Wnt is a triple certified nutcase, Gerard is Gerard, and CensoredScribe is a minor name I once heard in an argument about categories or something.

It's not that I don't want to understand, it's just that, so far, I don't. Any of it. Sorry. I'm thick.

Maybe I need a wider picture, or maybe I need to be discounted from the conversation for not knowing the intricacies in advance, and just butt out.

Either is good. Honestly.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:38 pm

Jim wrote:Don't be offended, Michael.

I just don't get any of it, and I thought you might explain. You did that a bit now.
"CensoredScribe is a friend of Wnt and was involved in an argument with Ryulong.". I didn't know that. Why would I?

Wnt is a triple certified nutcase, Gerard is Gerard, and CensoredScribe is a minor name I once heard in an argument about categories or something.

It's not that I don't want to understand, it's just that, so far, I don't. Any of it. Sorry. I'm thick.

Maybe I need a wider picture, or maybe I need to be discounted from the conversation for not knowing the intricacies in advance, and just butt out.

Either is good. Honestly.
Alright, sorry.

Also,

http://rationalwiki.org/w/index.php?title=RationalWiki%3AChicken_coop&diff=1406184&oldid=1406182
David Gerard wrote::There's basically nothing to be done about ED; I ignore it. Just take heart that it's actually moved up in moral fibre since DeGrippo gave up - [[User:David Gerard|David Gerard]] ([[User talk:David Gerard|talk]]) 16:39, 11 January 2015 (UTC)
As an insider who has served as a sysop under Sherrod, Ryan, Garret, and Zaiger, I know that the opposite is true. Gerard is delusional.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:39 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:http://rationalwiki.org/w/index.php?title=RationalWiki%3AChicken_coop&diff=1406184&oldid=1406182
David Gerard wrote::There's basically nothing to be done about ED; I ignore it. Just take heart that it's actually moved up in moral fibre since DeGrippo gave up - [[User:David Gerard|David Gerard]] ([[User talk:David Gerard|talk]]) 16:39, 11 January 2015 (UTC)
As an insider who has served as a sysop under Sherrod, Ryan, Garret, and Zaiger, I know that the opposite is true. Gerard is delusional.
May I quote you?

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:41 pm

These guys' entire lives appear to revolve around messing with the Internet and certain websites and following certain Internet personalities. What are they going to do if the Internet goes down hard for a few days? Or, if it's suddenly replaced by a new technology? Gerard, at least, appears to have a hobby (if that's the best word for it) that gets him out of the house sometimes to interact with actual people. Ryulong and some of these others who waste vast amounts of time online don't appear to get out too much.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:00 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Michaeldsuarez wrote:http://rationalwiki.org/w/index.php?title=RationalWiki%3AChicken_coop&diff=1406184&oldid=1406182
May I quote you?
Go ahead.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:38 am

Cla68 wrote:Gerard, at least, appears to have a hobby (if that's the best word for it) that gets him out of the house sometimes to interact with actual people.
With "human-animal chimeras", you mean. :rotfl:

When pigs fly
Banned
Wikipedia User: two kinds of pork
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Browsing encyclopedia dramatica

Unread post by When pigs fly » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:56 pm

Wildly entertaining, but so annoying to read content with popups and sending you to the App Store. Is there a technical way to avoid all of this nonsense?

mac
Banned

Re: Browsing encyclopedia dramatica

Unread post by mac » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:07 pm

When pigs fly wrote:Wildly entertaining, but so annoying to read content with popups and sending you to the App Store. Is there a technical way to avoid all of this nonsense?
AdBlock Plus helps a lot. :)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:28 am

ED is the most annoying site I've ever had the displeasure of visiting. Phishing links galore and porno popups. Destroy with fire.

RfB

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:57 am

mac wrote:
When pigs fly wrote:Wildly entertaining, but so annoying to read content with popups and sending you to the App Store. Is there a technical way to avoid all of this nonsense?
AdBlock Plus helps a lot. :)
NoScript catches most of the rest.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:17 am

When pigs fly wrote:Is there a technical way to avoid all of this nonsense?
Add the following to your hosts file. In windows, it's usually located at C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts. In Unix type OSes, it's usually at /etc/hosts.

127.0.0.1 encyclopediadramatica.se

HTH

EricBarbour

My opinion of ED

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:37 am

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Re: My opinion of ED

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:43 am

There are pills for that

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:55 am

Thanks, Lavrentiy Beria (Jr). BTW, you got Euryalus wrong. Remember when I sent you that link last year?

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:17 am

I liked it. Left a comment.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:26 am

Earthy Astringent wrote:There are pills for that
Take the Blue pill, not the Red one!

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:42 am

tarantino wrote:you got Euryalus wrong. Remember when I sent you that link last year?
Please, feel free to refresh my memory.

Textnyymi
Gregarious
Wikipedia Review Member: Text
Actual Name: Anonyymi

Unread post by Textnyymi » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:32 pm

"Why I left 4chan":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhx6IfKrvEQ

"Why I left 4chan counterargument":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLt3vKWgJKI

The Internet sucks! I'm going to log off the Internet, and then I'm going back to log on the Internet :banana:

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:15 am

EricBarbour wrote:
tarantino wrote:you got Euryalus wrong. Remember when I sent you that link last year?
Please, feel free to refresh my memory.
I sent you the link in the comment here on Dec 17, 2014. I've never shared it with anyone else.

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:11 pm

ED is such a mixed-bag. Their articles on batshit entitlement drama collectives like Juggalos or furries are pretty good, but the deep dives into specifically obscure deviantart spats is just plain uninteresting to 99% of the readers. Like the Wikipedia, the editors who write those sorts of articles are doing it for the sake of themselves in a "this is mine look at what I created!" manner, rather than writing to inform the public of a topic. Most wiki-space projects are temples to one's own ego.

I wrote one article there, Alexander Pistoletov, and haven't been back much since. I'm not on the "ED sucks" bandwagon, but it is something that I've personally just moved on from.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:22 pm

Interesting read. Thanks for pointing out the abandoned realm of LiveJournal articles on ED - what a time capsule.

A bit of browsing around led me to the article about Erik Möller, which has this great nugget, in an email from Danny (T-C-L) about some ancient drama in 2006:
7. Yesterday afternoon, Erik entered the debate by unblocking the article and stating emphatically that there were no grounds for it to be protected.

8. This was discussed with Brad. At that time, there was no doubt in our minds that Erik was acting recklessly to score a point and win himself credit as a community hero against the ogre that is the Foundation.
And to think, this is the guy who would end up as the Foundation's man, forcing Superprotect on the community eight years later.
George Orwell wrote: The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:33 pm

HAHAHA. I love it. :nsfw: Thanks Eric! :B'
Last edited by Zoloft on Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: added nsfw tag

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:45 pm

Fox Web Security considers ED "an unsafe website."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:50 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Fox Web Security considers ED "an unsafe website."
As indeed it should; it's a very dodgy site from all sorts of points of view.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:21 am

Hex wrote:HAHAHA. I love it. :nsfw: Thanks Eric! :B'
Careful. Remember what they did to MONGO (T-C-L) years ago? Some ED jackass will replace your picture with a walrus having sex with an antelope and give you an unflattering biography. :sick:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:50 am

I was just surfing ED sans anti-virus software, then a few minutes later, went to check out Bashar al-Assad's page on WP...

:nsfw:
:nsfw:

...which had undergone a miraculous transformation!

:bow:

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:36 pm

The Joy wrote:Some ED jackass will replace your picture with a walrus having sex with an antelope and give you an unflattering biography. :sick:
At least on WP they rarely use that type of photo in a BLP.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:38 am

Poetlister wrote:
The Joy wrote:Some ED jackass will replace your picture with a walrus having sex with an antelope and give you an unflattering biography. :sick:
At least on WP they rarely use that type of photo in a BLP.
Wikipedia is far worse than ED in that anyone reading ED will realize it isn't a good education resource to say the least, but many accept Wikipedia as being a factual encyclopedia.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:14 pm

Not just that, but Wikipedia is not flagged by Fox Web Security as "unsafe."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:07 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Not just that, but Wikipedia is not flagged by Fox Web Security as "unsafe."
"Unsafe" isn't referring to the obvious content, though maybe it should. It refers to the risk of geting a virus or other malware.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Johnny Au wrote:Not just that, but Wikipedia is not flagged by Fox Web Security as "unsafe."
"Unsafe" isn't referring to the obvious content, though maybe it should. It refers to the risk of geting a virus or other malware.
I still remember visiting Wikipedia in 2004/2005 before Cascade protection and being greeted by giant dongs on the main page. Now, you have to go AN/I to find them.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:21 pm

The Joy wrote:I still remember visiting Wikipedia in 2004/2005 before Cascade protection and being greeted by giant dongs on the main page. Now, you have to go AN/I to find them.
Or RfA or any of the other drama boards. :rotfl:

I hardly ever look at the main page; I've bookmarked my watchlist and go straight there.

Johnny Au
Habitué

Unread post by Johnny Au » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:41 pm

Poetlister wrote:
The Joy wrote:I still remember visiting Wikipedia in 2004/2005 before Cascade protection and being greeted by giant dongs on the main page. Now, you have to go AN/I to find them.
Or RfA or any of the other drama boards. :rotfl:

I hardly ever look at the main page; I've bookmarked my watchlist and go straight there.
I don't read the main page at all. I too bookmark my watchlist and read from there.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Poetlister wrote:I hardly ever look at the main page; I've bookmarked my watchlist and go straight there.
Johnny Au wrote:I don't read the main page at all. I too bookmark my watchlist and read from there.
I never look at it either, unless something of interest on the page is pointed out. I'd guess the same is true for many "regulars".

Nevertheless, if you believe Wikipedia:Pageview statistics (T-H-L) *, and the linked tool:

(That's a snapshot - click image for "latest stats".)

Wikipedia:Pageview statistics wrote:Pageview stats refers to the number of times a particular page has been requested. Using this external link (maintained by user:Henrik), it is possible to see how many times any Wikipedia page name has been requested since 2007, for each day, month and for the previous 60 or 90 days. These figures do not reflect the number of unique visitors a page has received. They also do not reflect how often the page has been read or even viewed.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:56 pm

Jim wrote:
Poetlister wrote:I hardly ever look at the main page; I've bookmarked my watchlist and go straight there.
Johnny Au wrote:I don't read the main page at all. I too bookmark my watchlist and read from there.
I never look at it either, unless something of interest on the page is pointed out. I'd guess the same is true for many "regulars".

Nevertheless, if you believe Wikipedia:Pageview statistics (T-H-L) *, and the linked tool:
It's scarcely surprising that most people going to Wikipedia (other than through a Google search or a link) would go to the main page. But it says that "This article ranked 2 in traffic on en.wikipedia.org." What beats it? Jimbo's talk page?

turnedworm
Critic
Wikipedia User: Worm That Turned
Actual Name: Dave Craven

Unread post by turnedworm » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:02 pm

Poetlister wrote:It's scarcely surprising that most people going to Wikipedia (other than through a Google search or a link) would go to the main page. But it says that "This article ranked 2 in traffic on en.wikipedia.org." What beats it? Jimbo's talk page?
Two of the top 3 are a little... odd. http://stats.grok.se/en/top