Jimmy's off to Saudi Arabia

Jimbowatcher's paradise
tarantino
Habitué
kołdry

Jimmy's off to Saudi Arabia

Unread post by tarantino » Wed May 03, 2017 3:39 am

https://misk.org.sa/en/unesco-ngo-globa ... abia-misk/
Organized by the NGO-UNESCO Liaison Committee and UNESCO, in partnership with the Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Foundation (MiSK), the Seventh International Forum of NGOs in official partnership with UNESCO will be held in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, on 3rd and 4th May 2017 under the theme Youth and their social impact.

The forum, which has attracted a number of renowned philanthropists and internationally recognised individuals with a focus on empowering youth, including nine time Olympic gold medallist Carl Lewis and Jimmy Wales, the founder of Wikipedia, will be attended by more than 250 NGOs and over 1,500 delegates from around the world.
See the NYT article, Rise of Saudi Prince Shatters Decades of Royal Tradition for background on Mohammed bin Salman.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Jimmy's off to Saudi Arabia

Unread post by thekohser » Wed May 03, 2017 1:35 pm

"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed May 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Speaking of UNESCO, there are some concerns that it is on the verge of becoming an Islamist-led, anti-Israel body. I'm sure Jimbo, recent attendee of Shimon Peres' funeral, has a well-thought-out plan to change UNESCO for the better, by working with them, rather than against them, to bring about free knowledge and tolerance in Islamic societies.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed May 03, 2017 8:30 pm

thekohser wrote:Speaking of UNESCO, there are some concerns that it is on the verge of becoming an Islamist-led, anti-Israel body. I'm sure Jimbo, recent attendee of Shimon Peres' funeral, has a well-thought-out plan to change UNESCO for the better, by working with them, rather than against them, to bring about free knowledge and tolerance in Islamic societies.
It's been anti-Israel for years. But yes, there should be a Wikipedian in residence at UNESCO. That would serve them right.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sun May 07, 2017 5:29 pm

Saudi Arabia and Israel have secret military and intelligence cooperation (directed against Iran); the noise is just for show. Same goes for Turkey, except the cooperation is not secret. See this for some details.

As for UNESCO, there was a statement by the US Senate, which was signed by all 100 senators, condemning UNESCO for its anti-Israel activities. Such unanimity is rare outside of North Korea; I looked at the roll call votes for this year (this wasn't a resolution) and only found one unanimous vote out of 121.

The statement is demonstrably false, when it claims that "While the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) does some important work on Holocaust education, its member states continue to advance measures that target Israel and deny the Jewish and Christian connections to Jerusalem." The resolution passed recently by UNESCO says clearly: "The agreement reaffirms the religious importance of the Holy City to Christianity, Islam and Judaism." Here's the full text. The resolution is deemed "anti-Israel" because it notes, correctly, that Israel is the occupying power in Jerusalem; and, under international law, it is occupying power's responsibility to ensure access and freedom of movement, and protect cultural heritage, a responsibility which Israel routinely violates.

Poetlister is correct that UNESCO has been called anti-Israel for years; this isn't a new thing.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun May 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Israel allows people of all religions free access to the holy sites in Jerusalem. Did UNESCO ever condemn the Jordanian government for its blanket ban on allowing Jews access to the old city of Jerusalem, or the vandalism of synagogues there, during the 19 years that Jordan illegally occupied it?

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun May 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Perhaps every posting to this thread could contain a sentence explicitly making it clear what the connection is with the the Wikimedia Foundation, their staff, trustees, affiliates or projects?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun May 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:Perhaps every posting to this thread could contain a sentence explicitly making it clear what the connection is with the the Wikimedia Foundation, their staff, trustees, affiliates or projects?
That would probably help, quite a lot in fact... but unless I'm mistaken, the issue here is whether or not Jimbo is being a hypocrite by attending, and possibly being paid to attend, a UNESCO conference in Saudi Arabia - after spending the last 2-3 years bashing that very country for their cruel mistreatment of blogger Raif Badawi (T-H-L) (mostly via Twitter though, not anywhere genuinely consequential).

I just noticed, btw, that Jimbo gets a captioned photo of himself in Mr. Badawi's BLP article even though he isn't mentioned anywhere in the text. That's supposedly unusual, isn't it?

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Mon May 08, 2017 1:18 am

Sorry for the derailment. My first sentence was talking about Greg's point that Jimbo going to Saudi Arabia may not go well with Jimbo's Israel connections; I just made the point that Saudi Arabia and Israel are enemies in public and collaborators in private. The rest of the UNESCO part was a bit off-topic. I was just irritated since it was mentioned in this thread and I watched an interview with Sanders about it a few days ago. Ignore that part if you like.

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Mon May 08, 2017 2:04 am

He should wear a hijab.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon May 08, 2017 8:49 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:I just noticed, btw, that Jimbo gets a captioned photo of himself in Mr. Badawi's BLP article even though he isn't mentioned anywhere in the text. That's supposedly unusual, isn't it?
It's not just a photo; it's a video. Definitely it shouldn't be there unless it's referred to in the text, but then you'd need to make the case that it's notable; was Jimbo's intervention reported in reliable sources?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed May 10, 2017 10:15 am

Jimmy is safely back in London after his "UN" speech. Coretheapple, without any surprise, failed to ask a question having any impact whatsoever.

Soldado Sin Nombre
Critic
Wikipedia User: Joder Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Member: Soldado sin Nombre
Actual Name: Te dije que tengo nombre

Unread post by Soldado Sin Nombre » Wed May 10, 2017 11:26 am

thekohser wrote:Jimmy is safely back in London after his "UN" speech. Coretheapple, without any surprise, failed to ask a question having any impact whatsoever.
You mean a question like "Jimbo, what happened to the People's Operator, you know, the phone company that was supposed to fix the "broken" phone system?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed May 10, 2017 1:24 pm

Soldado Sin Nombre wrote:
thekohser wrote:Jimmy is safely back in London after his "UN" speech. Coretheapple, without any surprise, failed to ask a question having any impact whatsoever.
You mean a question like "Jimbo, what happened to the People's Operator, you know, the phone company that was supposed to fix the "broken" phone system?
Well, there's that... but more on topic would have been, "Jimbo, to what extent were you and your travel costs compensated for this 'UN' speech, and by whom, if at all?"

Soldado Sin Nombre
Critic
Wikipedia User: Joder Wikipedia
Wikipedia Review Member: Soldado sin Nombre
Actual Name: Te dije que tengo nombre

Unread post by Soldado Sin Nombre » Thu May 11, 2017 11:40 am

thekohser wrote:
Soldado Sin Nombre wrote:
Well, there's that... but more on topic would have been, "Jimbo, to what extent were you and your travel costs compensated for this 'UN' speech, and by whom, if at all?"
On topic for this thread, sure, but I'm surprised to by how short people's memories are. Wouldn't we be curious if Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg had other executive positions in other companies and wonder why he had so many different jobs? Jimbo's not just offering newer better products, he has a shifting assortment of jobs almost on a constant basis when compared to what most people consider his peers. But, it seems like the people on Wikipediocracy are the only ones who get it, or even worse, the only ones who care.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu May 11, 2017 3:36 pm

Soldado Sin Nombre wrote:On topic for this thread, sure, but I'm surprised to by how short people's memories are. Wouldn't we be curious if Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg had other executive positions in other companies and wonder why he had so many different jobs? Jimbo's not just offering newer better products, he has a shifting assortment of jobs almost on a constant basis when compared to what most people consider his peers. But, it seems like the people on Wikipediocracy are the only ones who get it, or even worse, the only ones who care.
Well, Der Jimbo probably fancies himself as Elon Musk -- PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity, etc.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 pm

thekohser wrote:
Soldado Sin Nombre wrote:On topic for this thread, sure, but I'm surprised to by how short people's memories are. Wouldn't we be curious if Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg had other executive positions in other companies and wonder why he had so many different jobs? Jimbo's not just offering newer better products, he has a shifting assortment of jobs almost on a constant basis when compared to what most people consider his peers. But, it seems like the people on Wikipediocracy are the only ones who get it, or even worse, the only ones who care.
Well, Der Jimbo probably fancies himself as Elon Musk -- PayPal, Tesla, SpaceX, SolarCity, etc.
More like Elon Bust.
Lots of ideas, they all suck ... and so does he.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu May 11, 2017 7:53 pm

Vigilant wrote:More like Elon Bust.
He's done far better for himself than Jimbo has, and probably less damage to others.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu May 11, 2017 9:20 pm

Poetlister wrote:
He's done far better for himself than Jimbo has, and probably less damage to others.
Sorry. I was unclear. I have immense respect for Elon Musk's accomplishments.

I meant that Jimmy's nickname should be 'Elon Bust', since he likes to think of himself as an entrepreneur, but he's an idiot.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri May 12, 2017 1:15 am

Vigilant wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

I meant that Jimmy's nickname should be 'Elon Bust', since he likes to think of himself as an entrepreneur, but he's an idiot.
I'm pretty sure that was assumed by pretty much everybody.
This is not a signature.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri May 12, 2017 1:26 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

And half of Peotlister's accounts?

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri May 12, 2017 1:27 am

Vigilant wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Poetlister wrote:

And half of Peotlister's accounts?
I wasn't counting those.
This is not a signature.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri May 12, 2017 10:33 am

Just a coincidence, I'm sure...

The non-notable Dr. Wayne Mackintosh is both a UNESCO Chair (whatever that is) and a seat on the Wikimedia Foundation Advisory Board (meaningless as that is).

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri May 12, 2017 1:06 pm

I have a different view. Jimbo's idea, Wikipedia was genius, but Jimbo has a talent to trust the wrong people. A talent as big as his genius invention. I think he knows things are going wrong, but he does not understand why. And it's so apity he's persistent in his wrong vision, because it will ruin his project.
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri May 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:I have a different view. Jimbo's idea, Wikipedia was genius, but Jimbo has a talent to trust the wrong people. A talent as big as his genius invention.
Even those are false premises. Larry Sanger presented and pushed the idea of Wikipedia, the name of Wikipedia, and the editorial structure of Wikipedia, onto Jimmy Wales. About four or five years later, Jimmy began taking sole credit for founding Wikipedia.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Fri May 12, 2017 1:25 pm

You are absolutely right, they act like idiots, including Jimmy. But I am talking about the start, the first steps. That was genius. After that he replaced anyone with vision by idiots, that's true. Also Singer. And it gets bigger idiots and even bigger idiots ebry day!
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sat May 20, 2017 12:57 am

UN to jailed Islamic dissidents: "You will love it"
Nothing like a UN conference in a country that turns the entire UN into a bitter joke.
Giulio Meotti - Arutz Sheva May 12, 2017
Participants of the gentle sex were asked to wear the abaya, the long caftan-like robe that veils Saudi women. Men were asked not to give their left hand, impolite under Islam.

The event was organized by a foundation of the Saudi ruling family and was attended by, among others, Unesco's Secretary General Irina Bokova, the founder of Wikipedia Jimmy Wales, the French intellectual Jacques Attali, and Bloomberg Media Executive, Justin Smith.

Obviously, to save face, all these humanitarian organizations had to ignore the fact that a few miles from their forum Abdullah al Attawi and Mohammed al Oteibi had been persecuted and found "guilty" of having founded a human rights organization.

The two stars of Western journalism present in Riyadh, the Wikipedia chief and Bloomberg executive, had to avoid thinking that a hero of freedom of speech and open sources of information regarding which Wikipedia pretends to be a pioneer, languishes in a Saudi prison at this moment. It is Raif Badawi, a liberal blogger lashed by the Saudi rulers.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat May 20, 2017 8:14 pm

No doubt the King of Saudi Arabia or one of his aides will be shortlisted for Wikipedian of the Year. The WMF could find a use for the money.

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Sun May 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Poetlister wrote:No doubt the King of Saudi Arabia or one of his aides will be shortlisted for Wikipedian of the Year.
Could be. Like his friend Tony Blair, Jimbo has a thing for oil-rich despots.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon May 22, 2017 7:45 pm

Cedric wrote:
Poetlister wrote:No doubt the King of Saudi Arabia or one of his aides will be shortlisted for Wikipedian of the Year.
Could be. Like his friend Tony Blair, Jimbo has a thing for oil-rich despots.
Now, now, he doesn't like the despot part. It's just that the "rich" part covers up a multitude of sins, given protestations of righteousness. Assume Good Faith and all that...

RfB

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:52 am

Kingsindian wrote:My first sentence was talking about Greg's point that Jimbo going to Saudi Arabia may not go well with Jimbo's Israel connections; I just made the point that Saudi Arabia and Israel are enemies in public and collaborators in private.
I noticed the following tweet from Mark Regev, Israeli ambassador to the UK, just a couple of days after Jimbo returned from Saudi Arabia:

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:16 am

The International Young Leadership of Keren Hayesod will jump for joy at that!

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:15 am

Kingsindian wrote:
Kingsindian wrote:My first sentence was talking about Greg's point that Jimbo going to Saudi Arabia may not go well with Jimbo's Israel connections; I just made the point that Saudi Arabia and Israel are enemies in public and collaborators in private.
I noticed the following tweet from Mark Regev, Israeli ambassador to the UK, just a couple of days after Jimbo returned from Saudi Arabia:
Im pretty sure that the female between them is former Israeli soldier Orit Kopel.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:08 am

The Adversary wrote:Im pretty sure that the female between them is former Israeli soldier Orit Kopel.
You're correct. She jets off to many exotic places with Jimmy -- a sort of personal traveling companion.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:08 pm

thekohser wrote:
Participants of the gentle sex were asked to wear the abaya, the long caftan-like robe that veils Saudi women. Men were asked not to give their left hand, impolite under Islam.
This just hit me...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:18 pm

thekohser wrote:
The Adversary wrote:Im pretty sure that the female between them is former Israeli soldier Orit Kopel.
You're correct. She jets off to many exotic places with Jimmy -- a sort of personal traveling companion.
Well, she is both the CEO of the Jimmy Wales Foundation and VP for Business Development and Managing Editor of Wikitribune.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:19 pm

There's no significance in being a former Israeli soldier, given that they have conscription there. Gal Gadot (T-H-L) is also a former soldier.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:40 pm

I'm sure there's a reason why a picture of this young woman in a bikini is relevant to a discussion about a proposed news crowd-sourced news business, but I have to say it escapes me just at the moment.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:27 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:I'm sure there's a reason why a picture of this young woman in a bikini is relevant to a discussion about a proposed news crowd-sourced news business, but I have to say it escapes me just at the moment.
Easy mistake to make, but that's not even the topic of this thread, either!

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:54 am

The topic of this topic is wondering around a bit. Maybe time to tie it off like a balloon neck?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:54 pm

Zoloft wrote:The topic of this topic is wondering around a bit. Maybe time to tie it off like a balloon neck?
:like:

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:10 am

:lock:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood: