There IS a limit to what Wikipedia can accomplish!

Jimbowatcher's paradise
Anroth
Nice Scum
kołdry

There IS a limit to what Wikipedia can accomplish!

Unread post by Anroth » Mon May 13, 2013 10:41 am

So sayeth Jimbo!
"The inherent pettiness, greed, and selfishness of mankind." With all due respect to our excellent engineers, I do not think fixing that is within their capabilities.
I dont know, there are plenty of technical solutions to stop people being a dick. Or at least helping to cut it down heavily. There are even more social/administrative solutions....

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: There IS a limit to what Wikipedia can accomplish!

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon May 13, 2013 12:05 pm

Anroth wrote:So sayeth Jimbo!
"The inherent pettiness, greed, and selfishness of mankind." With all due respect to our excellent engineers, I do not think fixing that is within their capabilities.
I dont know, there are plenty of technical solutions to stop people being a dick. Or at least helping to cut it down heavily. There are even more social/administrative solutions....
It's very simple. You start an RfC on the subject, and at the end of it you create a policy WP:NOPETTINESSGREEDORSELFISHNESS. Anybody who flouts the policy can be reprimanded by Arbcom. Problem solved!
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Re: There IS a limit to what Wikipedia can accomplish!

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon May 13, 2013 1:59 pm

Outsider wrote:
Anroth wrote:So sayeth Jimbo!
It's very simple. You start an RfC on the subject, and at the end of it you create a policy WP:NOPETTINESSGREEDORSELFISHNESS. Anybody who flouts the policy can be reprimanded by Arbcom. Problem solved!
Anybody who can be accused of flouting the policy can be templated on their talk page by a thirteen-year-old troll, pushed out of the way by a paid editor, dragged to AN/I, topic-banned by three meatpuppets coordinating on IRC, reprimanded by Arbcom, and finally blocked indef. Problem solved!
:D

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing