thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Deleted by Jimbo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:28 am

Once again, when faced with evidence that a Wikimedia Foundation vendor is spiffing up its own article on Wikipedia, without disclosure, Jimbo's first instinct is to hide the facts.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:16 pm

thekohser wrote:Once again, when faced with evidence that a Wikimedia Foundation vendor is spiffing up its own article on Wikipedia, without disclosure, Jimbo's first instinct is to hide the facts.
And even as the discussion continues in the open again, Jimbo is quickly on the scene again to hide, hide, HIDE!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:50 am

I noticed that Guy is still a shithead.....

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:32 pm

What better way to kick off a Thanksgiving Day celebration than with a little hiding of the embarrassing Talk page discussions?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:54 pm

For posterity's sake (thanks to Dan Murphy -- I had forgotten about this one)...

Here is Jimbo erasing a detailed promise that the domain holder for Wikipediocracy harbors absolutely no physical threat to Wales or his family. That would have gotten in the way of his "I don't vote, because stalkers will find me at my house" schtick.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:30 pm

Here was a nifty "Deleted by Wehwalt" as an "in your face" turnabout moment for Jimbo.

Oh, darn. Wehwalt caved in, two minutes later. And then caved in again, ten minutes later. Come on, Wikipediots -- show some resolve.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:48 am

thekohser wrote:Here was a nifty "Deleted by Wehwalt" as an "in your face" turnabout moment for Jimbo.

Oh, darn. Wehwalt caved in, two minutes later. And then caved in again, ten minutes later. Come on, Wikipediots -- show some resolve.
Yeah, but Jimbo didn't delete it.......

(I have a bit of a problem saying something nice about Wehwalt. He's a very low character, if you ask me.)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:54 pm

Here's Jimbo tidying up some Wikipedia article content, probably as a favor to his new-found Labour buddies.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:48 pm

thekohser wrote:Here's Jimbo tidying up some Wikipedia article content, probably as a favor to his new-found Labour buddies.
Shouldn't he get someone else to do it? He can't be that careless.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Ogajur
Contributor

Unread post by Ogajur » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:01 pm

Poetlister wrote:
thekohser wrote:Here's Jimbo tidying up some Wikipedia article content, probably as a favor to his new-found Labour buddies.
Shouldn't he get someone else to do it? He can't be that careless.
But how exactly is it supposed to be a 'favor' for anyone? The omitted content doesn't seem to say anything positive or negative about Labour at all. It's pretty obvious that Greg is being tongue-in-cheek - clearly the reason why Jimbo looked at the article at all is that Greg pointed out that Fleishman-Hillard had engaged in COI editing of the article (albeit quite mild in the grand scheme of things).

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Ogajur wrote:But how exactly is it supposed to be a 'favor' for anyone? The omitted content doesn't seem to say anything positive or negative about Labour at all. It's pretty obvious that Greg is being tongue-in-cheek - clearly the reason why Jimbo looked at the article at all is that Greg pointed out that Fleishman-Hillard had engaged in COI editing of the article (albeit quite mild in the grand scheme of things).
Welcome, Ogajur! The problem, of course, is the oft-quoted problem that Jimbo himself has advised us all about, for years -- and that is that editors should avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest. Jimbo's new employer, The People's Operator, is known to be hand-in-hand with the Labour Party. Therefore, Jimbo is treading on dangerous COI-appearance ground when he picks THE ONE FRIGGIN' PARAGRAPH that mentions the Labour Party in the Fleishman-Hillard article, of all the paragraphs he felt the need to delete.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:58 pm

Jimbo suggests that an eight-year account on Wikipedia could possibly be a Joe job, rather than the obvious, that it's a self-interested autobiographical account. Another editor tells him that's a pretty foolish proposition. Poof! Away it goes!

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:09 pm

Have there been any other deletions from Jimbotalk in 2014? Nothing pops out at me right now.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:11 am

HRIP7 wrote:
thekohser wrote:A couple of "hat note" quasi-deletions by Jimbo today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =567476474

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =567476338

Note that in the second one, Jimbo says "Socialtext no longer exists". That's weird -- they seem to be up and running and thriving.
Inquiry to me based on false claims. I do not sit on the board of Socialtext, and have not for many years. Socialtext no longer exists, and I don't know anyone at the company that acquired them. I haven't looked at the article but of course my view is that if it needs improvement, it should be improved.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 01:17, 7 August 2013 (UTC)
Someone should update his Wikipedia biography then. It says in the infobox that he is a board member of Socialtext.
I just looked at the about page for jimmywales.com. It says "He serves on the Board of Directors of Socialtext".

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 am

"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:34 pm

An important historical marker for anyone interested in the theories and rationale of how and why Jimbo deletes things (or allows the deletion of things) from his Talk page is found here.

Some tidbits:
There is a very strong expectation that every question should be made in a nice, good-faith manner. If we don't have that expectation then we encourage the bad behavior of baiting/trolling and give ourselves an incredibly unpleasant environment. It is very well known that I will try in good faith to answer all kinds of questions, even pointed ones, but even I have limits. In this case, the editor was asking me to compare two completely unrelated things, bringing up a person I consider to be a danger to myself and my family, for reasons that I am not entirely able to share based on professional advice, as a way of (apparently) attacking another user, without even posting diffs or explanations of who they were talking about (and I have no idea). If this were a good faith question, it might be of the form: "Are you aware of a user saying things like this(link) and that(link) and who hasn't been blocked or even warned? What do you think of this and related situations?"--Jimbo Wales (talk) 14:48, 27 April 2014 (UTC)
I would speculate that the "professional advice" that Jimbo received was, "Jimmy, this guy really doesn't seem like a threat to you, but if you actually name him publicly and assert that he is a threat, given that you don't have any credible evidence to back it up, he might litigate and actually succeed in parting a significant amount of money in damages from you. So, for your own good, you're advised to not 'share' your various and scattered notions about him with the general public."

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:25 am

thekohser wrote:An important historical marker for anyone interested in the theories and rationale of how and why Jimbo deletes things (or allows the deletion of things) from his Talk page is found here.

Some tidbits:
There is a very strong expectation that every question should be made in a nice, good-faith manner. If we don't have that expectation then we encourage the bad behavior of baiting/trolling and give ourselves an incredibly unpleasant environment. It is very well known that I will try in good faith to answer all kinds of questions, even pointed ones, but even I have limits. In this case, the editor was asking me to compare two completely unrelated things, bringing up a person I consider to be a danger to myself and my family, for reasons that I am not entirely able to share based on professional advice, as a way of (apparently) attacking another user, without even posting diffs or explanations of who they were talking about (and I have no idea). If this were a good faith question, it might be of the form: "Are you aware of a user saying things like this(link) and that(link) and who hasn't been blocked or even warned? What do you think of this and related situations?"--Jimbo Wales (talk) 14:48, 27 April 2014 (UTC)
I would speculate that the "professional advice" that Jimbo received was, "Jimmy, this guy really doesn't seem like a threat to you, but if you actually name him publicly and assert that he is a threat, given that you don't have any credible evidence to back it up, he might litigate and actually succeed in parting a significant amount of money in damages from you. So, for your own good, you're advised to not 'share' your various and scattered notions about him with the general public."
Jimbo is such a charlatan and pretender. He probably got that "professional advice" from his psychiatrist helping him deal with his delusional thought processes. Really, he is a lowlife, if he put whatever his thinking re: "danger" out on the table, then it'd be debunked and people would laugh at him. His character-deficient preference is to rumour monger and nurture dark speculation. He's learned though to couch insinuation with escape hatch phrasing like "I consider" and "I believe" and so forth. So he talks like that because it makes it more difficult to sue him for defamation: "your honor, I only ever said no more than what I "thought" and "believed" about the plaintiff, I never specifically made factual assertions." Lowlife.

He's also wrongly calling the Favonian-reverted edit "trolling." The IP civilly made a comparison and said "what about this?" Was it insincere or designed to inflame? No. I've read Jimbo do similar before to stating his approval of Favonian's uncommented reverts. He wants these hyperactive administrative participants reverting madly at his talkpage. It's intellectually cowardly. Let the record be the record. I admire those who never revert on their talkpages. I guess for an annoying and unwelcome repeat visitor, it'd be fine to "hat" the comment with a pithy or dismissive summary.

And then "Dennis Brown" shows up. Before I became familiar with him I thought he was a reasonable and thoughtful guy. Wrong! That is only his tone and immediate appearance. When you look at what this dirtbag actually does as opposed to the superficiality of his demeanor and so forth, you recognize an abusive and stupid administrative participant in the classic Wikipedia mode. Enwikibadscience, who was horrendously wrongly and arrogantly blocked by him, will vouch this point. As well, it's my impression based on all I've seen, that "Dennis Brown" is a pseudonym, much as Wormthatwormed's claim that he is "David Craven" is fallacious, much as "James B. Watson" is fallacious. Pseudonym users are one thing, I of course am one, and they are understandable. But these are among the group of pseudonym users that deceptively use genuine-sounding names. What is Dennis' contribution to the linked talkpage discussion. He calls letting the IP be heard "appeasement" and likens those who'd do so to Neville Chamberlain." A stupid absurdity from the real jackass that is "Dennis Brown."
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:15 pm

thekohser wrote:
I doubt it because he actually named "him" publicly for example here:
A reporter suggested to me that Gregory Kohs was the person who had written the original article about The People's Operator, and I said that was mistaken (which of course it was) and that I'd rather not talk about him. I explained why I would rather not talk about him (the infamous photo that he posted of himself with a gun and his "joke" about getting into a shootout with me). I'd rather not have to talk about this at all, but as Mr. 2601 seems insistent. When I said "I'd rather not talk about him" I was referrring to Kohs, whom I fear is obsessed with my family and children and personal life and should not be given attention lest he grow worse. When I said that he didn't edit the Wikipedia entry about The People's Operator, I meant it. It is very well established and not a matter of current controversy at all there was COI editing of the TPO article (though, it should be said, I am told that it was not at the behest of the company, but by consultants doing a variety of "social media" work) long before I ever even heard of them or got involved with them. When I came on board I read them all the riot act about never ever under any circumstances editing Wikipedia, and that's very firm company policy.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 14:00, 19 February 2014

I think Jimbo simply wants to appear more important, or doesn't know what he's talking about.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:36 pm

This one is a classic... the live-in partner of the executive director of the WMF gets told by Jimbo that Der Founder has no interest in what breaks Wil Sinclair's precious heart.

Now that that uncomfortable passage is hidden, Wikimedia Movement™ functions and gatherings will be emboldened to be even more exclusionary and closed to the public. What's next? I predict that men wearing neckties will be uninvited from conferences.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:45 pm

thekohser wrote:This one is a classic... the live-in partner of the executive director of the WMF gets told by Jimbo that Der Founder has no interest in what breaks Wil Sinclair's precious heart.

Now that that uncomfortable passage is hidden, Wikimedia Movement™ functions and gatherings will be emboldened to be even more exclusionary and closed to the public. What's next? I predict that men wearing neckties will be uninvited from conferences.
"Excuse me, sir.
There *is* a dress code in effect.
Do you need to *borrow* a fedora?"
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:49 pm

Vigilant wrote:
thekohser wrote:This one is a classic... the live-in partner of the executive director of the WMF gets told by Jimbo that Der Founder has no interest in what breaks Wil Sinclair's precious heart.

"Excuse me, sir.
There *is* a dress code in effect.
Do you need to *borrow* a fedora?"
*ahem* The approved headwear in the manosphere is the pork pie, not the fedora.

Dood in a pork pie

Bogie in a fedora

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:05 pm

I think you'll find that it's most commonly the trilby.

My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:10 pm

Great Scott!

Perfect.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:29 am

Insert random Wikipedian's face there. (Nice place for Raul654's mug, actually.)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:51 pm

This one is not a "deleted by Jimbo", but definitely a candidate for a full oversight function. That's why I'll save it with an Archive.today link.

And let me be the first to say that I don't have anything to do with the User:What jimmy's good at.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:01 pm

thekohser wrote:This one is not a "deleted by Jimbo", but definitely a candidate for a full oversight function. That's why I'll save it with an Archive.today link.

And let me be the first to say that I don't have anything to do with the User:What jimmy's good at.
Damn it, Greg!

You made me laugh so loud that I scared my dogs.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:15 pm

thekohser wrote:This one is not a "deleted by Jimbo", but definitely a candidate for a full oversight function. That's why I'll save it with an Archive.today link.

Removed by Brad eight minutes later. Do Not Mock Jimbo-Ball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =611754088

Sparky
Critic

Unread post by Sparky » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:44 pm

EricBarbour wrote:

Removed by Brad eight minutes later. Do Not Mock Jimbo-Ball.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =611754088
And then, 11:30, 7 June 2014 JzG (talk | contribs) changed visibility of a revision on page User talk:Jimbo Wales: content hidden and edit summary hidden (RD2: Grossly insulting, degrading, or offensive material)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:25 am

It's good to see JzG finally seeing things my way.

Still, that Archive.today link is going to be a bear to oversight, ain't it?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:53 pm

Poof!

In less than an hour, too, Jimbo. Fifty-nine minutes -- damn, you're good. Hide that corporate cross-promotion, now, eh?

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:08 pm

thekohser wrote:Poof!

In less than an hour, too, Jimbo. Fifty-nine minutes -- damn, you're good. Hide that corporate cross-promotion, now, eh?
:D

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:32 pm

thekohser wrote:Poof!

This one is probably worthy of a blog post, because it also wraps into nontransparency at the WMF. If the WMF received any consideration from Qualtrics for that mention in their blog post (even if that consideration is merely free or reduced-cost licenses), the WMF should have disclosed that there. I have to wonder if part of the reason they didn't do so is that it would make the value of that donation compensation paid in exchange for advertising, and thus make that "donation" actually UBTI.....

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:52 am

It looks like Jimbo was asked to do a favor for some pal of his at The Observer. Poof!

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:21 pm

thekohser wrote:It looks like Jimbo was asked to do a favor for some pal of his at The Observer. Poof!
Don't be so cynical. Jimbo explains his edit.
I've just turned up here as a mere reader of Wikipedia, curious about the history of the Observer and what its current relationship to the Guardian is. I agree with the comment posted above: I don't see the importance and relevance of this to this article. I'm removing it now and encourage further discussion before re-inserting.
link
The comment he refers to has been there for nearly a year. If someone wanted Jimbo to delete that section, either that person or Jimbo has been very slow.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 pm

Poetlister wrote:The comment he refers to has been there for nearly a year.
So, you are saying that inappropriate content in Wikipedia articles can take nearly a year to be removed? That's reprehensible -- we've been told one of the advantages of Wikipedia is how quickly bad content can be removed or replaced!

I win, either way.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:31 pm

thekohser wrote:
Poetlister wrote:The comment he refers to has been there for nearly a year.
So, you are saying that inappropriate content in Wikipedia articles can take nearly a year to be removed? That's reprehensible -- we've been told one of the advantages of Wikipedia is how quickly bad content can be removed or replaced!

I win, either way.
No, I think it's good content. I'm surprised that people here consider Jimbo a good judge of what should be removed.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:48 am

thekohser wrote:The edit summary search tool is fairly helpful in finding these gems. Just search for "trolling" or "not interested", etc.
FYI, the tool has moved to a new server.

Thus, the search for "trolling" and for "not interested".

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:18 pm

Uncomfortable with a photo connecting Jimbo Wales and Cherie Blair that sat undisturbed on a high-traffic Wikipedia article for nearly two years?

Jimbo merely asks for it to disappear, and <poof!>, he receives his wish within just a few hours!

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:48 pm

thekohser wrote:Uncomfortable with a photo connecting Jimbo Wales and Cherie Blair that sat undisturbed on a high-traffic Wikipedia article for nearly two years?

Jimbo merely asks for it to disappear, and <poof!>, he receives his wish within just a few hours!
Just out of curiosity, do you think the article was better before, or afterwards? Or is this a case where your Jimbo-fixation precludes you from expressing any opinion that doesn't involve portraying him as a cross between a Bond villain and one of the Medici Popes?

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:52 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you think the article was better before, or afterwards? Or is this a case where your Jimbo-fixation precludes you from expressing any opinion that doesn't involve portraying him as a cross between a Bond villain and one of the Medici Popes?
I thought Wikipedia was supposed to be the "sum of human knowledge"? Is not a photo of Cherie Blair cutting a "10 year anniversary of Wikipedia" cake with the Founder of Wikipedia (one of the greatest accomplishments of the Internet) a potent part of that proverbial sum?

Furthermore, I thought every edit on Wikipedia can be inspected by the public, so that we know who added (or subtracted) what. Can you explain, why was the IP or user name of this edit removed from view? What needed to be hidden?

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:26 am

thekohser wrote:
AndyTheGrump wrote:Just out of curiosity, do you think the article was better before, or afterwards? Or is this a case where your Jimbo-fixation precludes you from expressing any opinion that doesn't involve portraying him as a cross between a Bond villain and one of the Medici Popes?
I thought Wikipedia was supposed to be the "sum of human knowledge"? Is not a photo of Cherie Blair cutting a "10 year anniversary of Wikipedia" cake with the Founder of Wikipedia (one of the greatest accomplishments of the Internet) a potent part of that proverbial sum?

Furthermore, I thought every edit on Wikipedia can be inspected by the public, so that we know who added (or subtracted) what. Can you explain, why was the IP or user name of this edit removed from view? What needed to be hidden?
Why was it removed from view? For the same reason that IPs of contributors who accidentally post while not logged in routinely are, I expect - for privacy. Though no doubt your well-fitting tinfoil hat will enable you to come up with another explanation.

And regardless of Jimbo's recycling of an old Encyclopaedia Britannica slogan, Wikipedia isn't (at least according to policies and guidelines) supposed to be a compendium of every photo and/or trivial bit of tabloid tat that can be shoehorned into tangentially-related articles. The photo (not one of Allan Warren's better efforts) has been removed because the fact that Jimbo once cut a cake with Cherie Blair isn't exactly a major part of her life story. Of course, If the photo hadn't been removed, you would no doubt be telling us how outrageous it was that Jimbo's grinning visage should feature prominently in an article on another subject.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:26 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:Why was it removed from view? For the same reason that IPs of contributors who accidentally post while not logged in routinely are, I expect - for privacy. Though no doubt your well-fitting tinfoil hat will enable you to come up with another explanation.

And regardless of Jimbo's recycling of an old Encyclopaedia Britannica slogan, Wikipedia isn't (at least according to policies and guidelines) supposed to be a compendium of every photo and/or trivial bit of tabloid tat that can be shoehorned into tangentially-related articles. The photo (not one of Allan Warren's better efforts) has been removed because the fact that Jimbo once cut a cake with Cherie Blair isn't exactly a major part of her life story. Of course, If the photo hadn't been removed, you would no doubt be telling us how outrageous it was that Jimbo's grinning visage should feature prominently in an article on another subject.
As for your first paragraph of rebuttal, I have to say that my special tinfoil hat must certainly give me special powers -- how else would I know that Jimbo Wales was using IP address 90.197.157.137 before it was covered up by an unknown henchman of his? I guess the all-powerful Jimbo is unfamiliar with the Streisand Effect.

As for your second paragraph of contemptuous bile, you may be correct, after all. Wikipedia is not supposed to be a compendium of every photo and/or trivial bit of tabloid tat, is it? You must be so much smarter than me, Andy! I should just quit Wikipedia criticism altogether.

AndyTheGrump
Habitué

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:52 am

This counts as Wikipedia criticism, does it? Really?

And yes, I'm sure the Streisand Effect is in full swing, as the twittersphere grinds to a halt due to the sheer numbers of excited postings about the astonishing revelation that Jimbo posted from a Sky Broadband IP in London. (Assuming that IP lookup works, which for the UK is questionable from personal experience.)

(P.S. Stop Press! Further breaking news. Jimbo's laptop has a flat battery, and he's gone to bed: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =623233784)

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:59 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:This counts as Wikipedia criticism, does it? Really?
It certainly seems to be doing a better job of Wikipedia criticism than your version, yes.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 am

AndyTheGrump wrote:Jimbo posted from a Sky Broadband IP in London. (Assuming that IP lookup works, which for the UK is questionable from personal experience.)
It is no doubt reliable in saying it's a Sky IP. Geolocation is another matter; I don't know about Sky, but for some ISPs geolocation is meaningless, something that many checkusers don't know.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Not so much a "delete" as a "chilling effect" by Jimbo.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 pm

thekohser wrote:Not so much a "delete" as a "chilling effect" by Jimbo.
User talk:Epipelagic (T-H-L)
Y'all are cordially invited to vent at Wikipediocracy, which is a swell place to do that. Carrite (talk) 05:39, 25 October 2014 (UTC)
:facepalm: Please don't.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:33 pm

Hex wrote:
thekohser wrote:Not so much a "delete" as a "chilling effect" by Jimbo.
User talk:Epipelagic (T-H-L)
Y'all are cordially invited to vent at Wikipediocracy, which is a swell place to do that. Carrite (talk) 05:39, 25 October 2014 (UTC)
:facepalm: Please don't.
Yes. I suspect my response to Mr "Cliques are bad so we should give more power to mine" would give Z a migraine. :-)
-----------
Notvelty

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:53 am

Moved off-topic posts into the bin. Don't. :axemurderer:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:19 pm

What's this? A conversation on Jimbo's Talk page about the history of Sarah Stierch's paid editing experience, and whether this casts doubt on her abilities as an administrator?

Too difficult a strait for Jimbo to navigate, so let's just hide that now.