Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales says AI is a ‘mess’ now but can become superhuman in 50 years

Jimbowatcher's paradise
Hemiauchenia
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Hemiauchenia

Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales says AI is a ‘mess’ now but can become superhuman in 50 years

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:29 am

Wikipedia’s founder Jimmy Wales tells Euronews Next about the ‘terrible’ early stage of ChatGPT, the lesson for OpenAI and about his open-source social media platform.

ChatGPT, the wildly popular generative artificial intelligence (AI) tool from OpenAI, is currently a “mess” when it’s used to write articles on Wikipedia, the platform’s founder Jimmy Wales tells Euronews Next.

A Wikipedia article written today with ChatGPT-4 is “terrible” and “doesn't work at all,” he says, because it “really misses out on a lot and it get things wrong, and it gets things wrong in a plausible way and it makes up sources and it's a mess”.

He even goes as far as to predict that superhuman AI could take at least 50 years to achieve.

But while he believes it is possible for AI to surpass humans in the distant future, it is more likely that AI tools will continue to support intellectual activities, despite being in an early phase at the moment, he says.

The most valuable start-up in the United States, OpenAI catapulted onto the scene with its chatbot ChatGPT last year.

‘My concerns are more about people, institutions than the tech’: Signal’s Meredith Whittaker on AI
The technology takes instruction and questions and answers them with an eerily human-like response based on sources it gathers online. It can be used for writing essays, song lyrics, or even health advice, though it can often get the information wrong, known as “hallucinating”.

But even the most powerful chatbot AI start-up was thrown into chaos with the ousting of its CEO and co-founder Sam Altman last week and then his rehiring just days later after employees threatened the board they would quit en masse.

Wales said it is “worrisome” that this occurred for such an influential company but that it will “probably pass as if nothing happened”.

If anything, he said the company will likely get its house in order and that it is “a good lesson to start-ups of all kinds that you really do have to think even at a very early stage about governance, about the stability of decision making”.

Wikipedia and AI working together
Despite his criticism of current generative AI models, Wales has not ruled out AI being used for Wikipedia.

He said if a tool were built to find mistakes in a Wikipedia article by comparing it to the sources it uses, it could help to iron out inaccuracies.

He even told Euronews Next that he would consider a Wikipedia venture with an open-source AI company that is freely usable to match Wikipedia’s principles, but clarified there is nothing specific in the works.

However, he says that this would be a decision that would not be taken lightly.

“Most businesses, not just charities like us, would say you have to be really, really careful if you're going to put at the heart of your business a technology that's controlled by someone else because if they go in a different direction, your whole business may be at risk,” he said.

He would therefore think carefully about any partnerships but added that he was open to pilot programmes and testing models.

Wikipedia is still essential to generative AI as it sources information published online to produce content. Therefore, the online encyclopedia must be accurate and not produce bias, something that both AI and Wikipedia have been accused of.

Meet the first Spanish AI model earning up to €10,000 per month
To create a gender balance and combat disinformation, Wikipedia has its own army of “Wikipedians” who are mostly male volunteer editors. Wales said that Wikipedians can see the difference between fake websites and can easily tell if the text was written by a human.

But bias is much harder to tackle as it can be historical; for instance, there were fewer female scientists in the 19th century and not much was written about them at the time, meaning Wikipedians cannot write that much about them. Or it can be unconscious bias, whereby a 28-year-old tech nerd Wikipedian may have different interests compared to a 55-year-old mother.

Diversity is key in trying to combat bias, something the company is striving to achieve.

“It's a real problem and obviously we feel a heavy responsibility to the extent that the world depends on Wikipedia and AI models depend on Wikipedia,” he said.

“We don't want to teach robots to be biased, so we want to get it right as at the sort of the human heart of the whole thing”.

The beef with Elon Musk
Disinformation and online hate have been a grievance for Wales and one that has led to blows with the X (formerly Twitter) boss Elon Musk, who offered $1 billion (€915 million) for Wikipedia to change its name to “Dickipedia”.

Wales has never responded to Musk’s comment as he said it did not need an answer. “Everybody looks at that and says, ‘Are you 12-years-old, Elon?”’ he told Euronews Next.

The $1 billion offer came after Wales criticised Musk for laying off moderation staff at X, which the Wikipedia chief said had increased all kinds of serious racism and toxic behaviour on the platform and is likely to affect advertising revenue.

“You can't both run a toxic platform and expect advertisers to give you money, so that might change things,” Wales said, adding that he and Musk are “friendly” and do text and that the exchanges are “pleasant”.

He said he still uses X but has deleted the app from his phone, which has made his life “much better” as he can do other things that are less toxic.

His own social media experiment
Wales has launched his own social network platform which he says has a “completely different” approach to X.

Last week at Web Summit, Wales announced the beta version of his project called Trust Cafe, a new online community he says will give power to its most trusted members.

First revealed in September, he describes it as his experiment in a friendly and open-source social media platform that he is not taking too seriously as a business venture.

He called it a cross between X and Reddit, where you can discuss certain topics but are not limited to a certain number of characters and there is not one sole owner of a discussion.

‘Reddit is both fantastic and horrible. Whereas we're really pursuing a model that's much more the governance is across everything,” said Wales.

While he admits online hate and toxic behaviour will always occur within some users, he is optimistic.

“If you've got basically sensible people who have enough power, you'll get a basically sensible platform and there's always going to be somebody crazy. There's always going to be some debate that turns a little ugly. That's just human nature,” said Wales.

“But as long as you can keep the main thrust of it in a healthy channel, then you can have like a really interesting kind of open platform where people can really genuinely engage with ideas”.
https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/11/2 ... n-50-years

It's a bit rich for Jimmy to slam ChatGPT w.r.t. writing Wikipedia articles when many Wikipedia editors actual editing competence is no better, honestly.

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Re: Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales says AI is a ‘mess’ now but can become superhuman in 50 years

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:23 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:29 am
Wikipedia’s founder Jimmy Wales tells Euronews Next about the ‘terrible’ early stage of ChatGPT, the lesson for OpenAI and about his open-source social media platform.

ChatGPT, the wildly popular generative artificial intelligence (AI) tool from OpenAI, is currently a “mess” when it’s used to write articles on Wikipedia, the platform’s founder Jimmy Wales tells Euronews Next.... <snip>
We love to pick on Jimbo here because we know he’s not as smart as the world-at-large thinks he is. Not as saintly, either.

He’s also not as dumb or venal as we here think he is. He gets some things right, like most of his comments above.

I hope his new venture is a big success, not because I’m a Jimbo fanboy but because it would be such a big improvement on X and Reddit. (We don’t talk much about Reddit but I have a relative who’s been fully indoctrinated into weirdness by Reddit; it’s the only social media he uses).

Much of Wikipedia’s success was a result of random luck, timing and the work of others but he did some basic things right in getting it going.

Whatever his self-aggrandizing ways, Jimbo sounds like a fundamentally well-meaning person, especially when compared to so many more financially successful tech bros. Most of them got where they are through the same mix of good ideas, random luck, timing and the work of many others but much more ruthlessly.

Finally, for all its flaws, Wikipedia is amazing and sucks less than most of the big internet sites.
Last edited by Midsize Jake on Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Snipped quote

Hemiauchenia
Habitué

Re: Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales says AI is a ‘mess’ now but can become superhuman in 50 years

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:33 pm

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:23 pm
We love to pick on Jimbo here because we know he’s not as smart as the world-at-large thinks he is. Not as saintly, either.

He’s also not as dumb or venal as we here think he is. He gets some things right, like most of his comments above.

I hope his new venture is a big success, not because I’m a Jimbo fanboy but because it would be such a big improvement on X and Reddit. (We don’t talk much about Reddit but I have a relative who’s been fully indoctrinated into weirdness by Reddit; it’s the only social media he uses).

Much of Wikipedia’s success was a result of random luck, timing and the work of others but he did some basic things right in getting it going.

Whatever his self-aggrandizing ways, Jimbo sounds like a fundamentally well-meaning person, especially when compared to so many more financially successful tech bros. Most of them got where they are through the same mix of good ideas, random luck, timing and the work of many others but much more ruthlessly.

Finally, for all its flaws, Wikipedia is amazing and sucks less than most of the big internet sites.
Jimbo has a lot more intellectual credibility than Sanger, for sure. I definitely agree that most of the dislike for Jimbo here comes from his self aggrandizement, and lofty claims regarding new ventures like WikiTribune that inevitably fall flat.

However, I think the "sounds like a fundamentally well-meaning person" is somewhat of an act, given the blatant disrespect that volunteers at Jimbos for profit Fandom (formerly Wikia) are treated with. I know that Fandom these days is majority owned by a private equity firm, but these problems have gone on for almost as long as Fandom has.

As someone who has had an account registered on Reddit for over a decade, Reddit isn't really one community but many, so each community has to be judged on a case by case basis. For every terrible subreddit like r/femaledatingstrategy or r/conspiracy , there are great ones like r/succulents or r/turning

Ron Lybonly
Regular

Unread post by Ron Lybonly » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:43 pm

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:33 pm
Ron Lybonly wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:23 pm

However, I think the "sounds like a fundamentally well-meaning person" is somewhat of an act, given the blatant disrespect that volunteers at Jimbos for profit Fandom (formerly Wikia) are treated with. I know that Fandom these days is majority owned by a private equity firm, but these problems have gone on for almost as long as Fandom has.
Hemiauchenia, I was unaware of this - thanks for pointing this out.
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:33 pm
As someone who has had an account registered on Reddit for over a decade, Reddit isn't really one community but many, so each community has to be judged on a case by case basis. For every terrible subreddit like r/femaledatingstrategy or r/conspiracy , there are great ones like r/succulents or r/turning
Isn't that how Twitter used to be - your interests influenced the algorithms which in turn showed you more "engaging" material?

As for Reddit, whatever the value of its good subreddits, it's really messed up my relative. It's definitely on my shit list.

Hemiauchenia
Habitué

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:15 pm

Ron Lybonly wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:43 pm
Isn't that how Twitter used to be - your interests influenced the algorithms which in turn showed you more "engaging" material?

As for Reddit, whatever the value of its good subreddits, it's really messed up my relative. It's definitely on my shit list.
I'm empathetic about your situation with your relative and Reddit, but basically any major social media site has the potential to radicalise someone like this. Like, what about all the anti-vaccine mommy groups on Facebook, or the YouTube Alt-right pipeline (T-H-L)? (didn't know Wikipedia had an article on this topic until now).

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:03 pm

Jimmy Wales is an intellectual lightweight. Bradv, for example.

He's a Kardashian of tech. Famous for being famous.
If he hadn't been involved with wikipedia, nobody would give him the time of day.
Every other venture he's attempted has been hairbrained and has failed.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:49 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:03 pm
Jimmy Wales is an intellectual lightweight. Bradv, for example.

He's a Kardashian of tech. Famous for being famous.
If he hadn't been involved with wikipedia, nobody would give him the time of day.
Every other venture he's attempted has been hairbrained and has failed.
Well, the thing is that (a) if you're much over 40, making tech prediction 50 years out is pretty safe, and (b) the reality of AI is that on one key level it hasn't advanced much at all since Joseph Weitzenbaum wrote Computer Power and Human Reason back in 1976. It's ironic that the great advance we are looking at today is called ChatGPT, because on one level it's just doing the same sort of thing that Eliza did way back when. It's also ironic that for instance back even in the 1980s there were software packages which could solve moderately nasty math problems, but this isn't something that LLMs can do. People want AI to succeed because the notion that there are limits to our technological progress is not a happy thing. So intellectual lightweights are going to prefer predicting Great (and potentially Terrible) Things.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:53 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Jimmy Wales is an intellectual lightweight. Bradv, for example?
Can you expand on. Brad there?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:07 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:53 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Jimmy's a credulous boob.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12924

Egg on His Face: Wikipedia Co-Founder Jimmy Wales Surrenders Admin Privileges After Controversy

Yes. I know it's Brightfart.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Blue Newt
Habitué

Unread post by The Blue Newt » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:30 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:07 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

Egg on His Face: Wikipedia Co-Founder Jimmy Wales Surrenders Admin Privileges After Controversy

Oh, that was Bradv there? I had completely forgotten, probably aided by the cognitive dissonance imbedded in “Bradv doing something useful..”

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:35 pm

The Blue Newt wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:30 pm
Vigilant wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:07 pm
The Blue Newt wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

Oh, that was Bradv there? I had completely forgotten, probably aided by the cognitive dissonance imbedded in “Bradv doing something useful..”
Bradv had been inactive for some months when Jimmy the Dipshit (actual mafia nickname) swooped in and shit all over the place.

Anyone could have been the target.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:52 am

I dabble in AI. It's insanely difficult to raise its output above absolute nonsense.

Reason isn't anything you can program into a system at this point, so mimicry and deep searches, plus training on examples of cognition, are the paths we can follow.

I'm giving social responses various 'points' as a goal, and building what I call 'canals' that direct decisions. I also introduce error into the system so that it has a preference for correction and can thus avoid making the same error more than a few times, and eventually builds a 'worn canal' into its processes that resemble (crudely) learned experience.

I think I'm making progress because my systems have learned to ask questions about its own errors, which was not specifically programmed into them.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hemiauchenia
Habitué

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 am

Jimbo made more statements on AI covered this time by Nikkei:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/ ... isks-of-AI

One of Jimbo's contentions is that AI written content will degrade the whole media ecosystem which will have a knock on effect on Wikipedia, which doesn't seem that unreasonable of a fear to me.

I note that Ars Technica and Futurism has covered Wikipedia's downgrading of CNET due to their AI article fiasco (among other things) https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -articles/ https://futurism.com/wikipedia-cnet-unreliable-ai , something which happened a while ago. There's currently a RfC at RSN to declare all Red Ventures (T-H-L) publications unreliable due to Red Ventures pushing AI usage (see Wikipedia:Reliable_sources/Noticeboard#RfC:_Red_Ventures (T-H-L))

rnu
Habitué

Unread post by rnu » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:31 am

Hemiauchenia wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 am
[...]
I note that Ars Technica and Futurism has covered Wikipedia's downgrading of CNET due to their AI article fiasco (among other things) https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -articles/ https://futurism.com/wikipedia-cnet-unreliable-ai , something which happened a while ago.
[...]
Why would they report on Wikipedia downgrading a source? I'm sure it has nothing to do with them being direct competitors.
:sarcasm:
"ἄνθρωπον ζητῶ" (Diogenes of Sinope)

Hemiauchenia
Habitué

Unread post by Hemiauchenia » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:42 am

rnu wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:31 am
Hemiauchenia wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:17 am
[...]
I note that Ars Technica and Futurism has covered Wikipedia's downgrading of CNET due to their AI article fiasco (among other things) https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -articles/ https://futurism.com/wikipedia-cnet-unreliable-ai , something which happened a while ago.
[...]
Why would they report on Wikipedia downgrading a source? I'm sure it has nothing to do with them being direct competitors.
:sarcasm:
Futurism has been breathing down the neck of CNET for a while now. They were pretty much single handedly responsible to bringing CNET's AI usage into public attention a year ago https://futurism.com/the-byte/cnet-publ ... cles-by-ai , and have ran over a dozen stories on their AI shenanigans over the past year or so, https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A ... m.com+CNET so it's really on brand for them to write a piece on this (arguably trivial) bit of CNET related news.