Jimmy on Lex Fridman's podcast

Jimbowatcher's paradise
tarantino
Habitué
kołdry

Jimmy on Lex Fridman's podcast

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:44 am

Three hours fifteen minutes worth. I haven't heard of Lex before, but he's quite popular. Three million followers on youtube and 2.8 million followers on twitter.

I'm not going to watch it.

utbc
Critic

Re: Jimmy on Lex Fridman's podcast

Unread post by utbc » Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:22 am

In general, Lex does not ask anything that requires him to do prior research or the guests to prepare. He says vague and broad things to act as open-ended questions. He once wrote a paper saying people are attentive even when the autopilot is on in tesla cars. Other researchers didn't like that paper at all. But Musk is his buddy. Mark Zuckerberg came up really sympathetic in his podcast too. Lex gets mentioned a lot in Joe Rogan podcast, and I think they've been guest in each other's.

From memory and general impressions,
In this particular instance, he asked (stuff like):
(a) I think Wikipedia is the best website ever. You are awesome for making it. (Jimmy can speak 20 mins on what Wikipedia is, and what a visionary he is).
(b) I have an article. It gets my birthplace wrong. It gets details about my father wrong. It uses attack pages against me as sources, claiming that I didn't even work for MIT, or I am a hack. (Jimmy explains how much he cares, how BLP works, how he spent decades perfecting it)
(c) Yeah I think Wikipedia is awesome. I care about spreading love in the world. And peace. And future. And freedom of speech. (I assume, cos that's his second act for every single interview),

Then probably, Ukraine and Putin. And how he's preparing to interview both Zelensky and Putin. How he's almost Russian but he visited Ukraine. How the world does not listen to the other side. How he cares about giving platform to people who no one thinks should be given a platform. How he's brave for doing it.

Jimmy says: Donate. We add money to our pile every year, so that even if donations stopped somewhere down the line, Wikipedia could run for thousands of years. What will change in 10 years? Probably AI and bots doing a most of the content work. We hoard all the money and put it under the control of whole different board so that if WMF management changes, they can't go on a spending spree and burn all the money. We care about African bushmen getting to read Wikipedia in their own language. So, we are writing Wikipedia in all the languages.

Jimmy says: Everyone thinks Wikipedia is left-biased but I don't think so. Let's talk about masks. So much confusion. First they said masks don't work cos they thought if everyone bought it there would be shortages in hospitals. Then they started saying everyone should wear masks, they work great. But Wikipedia is great.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Jimmy on Lex Fridman's podcast

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:26 pm

utbc wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2023 4:22 am
Jimmy says: Everyone thinks Wikipedia is left-biased but I don't think so. Let's talk about masks. So much confusion. First they said masks don't work cos they thought if everyone bought it there would be shortages in hospitals. Then they started saying everyone should wear masks, they work great. But Wikipedia is great.
May I just say how much I enjoyed this synopsis that saved me over 3 hours of pain?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."