Tara Teng's ultra-detailed BLP & the admin who wrote it

For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Tara Teng's ultra-detailed BLP & the admin who wrote it

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:34 am

If he's an attorney, maybe he thinks he has the law on his side. But after all, he's been endorsed by Durova (T-C-L), so he must be a great guy. linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =174295131[/link]
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

turnoffthenews
Contributor

Unread post by turnoffthenews » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:19 am

there is trouble on the meat farm, fellas

to be honest, I haven't kept up with this too much, but apparently an overzealous admin has indefinitely banned just about everyone making edits to Neelix's articles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ter_Neelix

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:34 pm

Jim wrote: It's going to be ok, though, officer Harry has arrived to steer proceedings.
Chief Petty Officer Mitchell wrote:Hawkeye asked me to take a look at this, so take a look I have. Precisely what the hell is going on here I have no idea, but something is rotten in the state of Denmark. There is considerable overlap between the editing interests of all the accounts. What it boils down to is that all have removed the same content or reverted the same edits across three or four different articles, and the connection between the articles seems to be their primary contributor. It's possible that there's more than one person behind all this, but my gut instinct, like Hawkeye's, Cirt's Laser brain's, tells me that there are not as many people as accounts involved here. I've blocked one account that was clearly created with the sole purpose of making these edits and another was blocked before I got to this. While I'm well aware of the limitations of the checkuser tool, I think we need a technical investigation to help us get to the bottom of this. HJ Mitchell | Penny for your thoughts? 23:51, 15 January 2015 (UTC)
The insight and instinct, the swift, telling action, the cutting mind, like a steel trap, and clever analysis. I swooned.

Something is rotten in the fucking State of Denmark. Please.

So many words, so many trite platitudes, and yet... so little said that wasn't already on the page... :crying:
One of the people blocked by the ludicrous HJ Mitchell for touching Neelix's articles, Johnnydowns, was unblocked by the equally ludicrous Jehochman.

Johnnydowns, who signs his posts John Bailey Owen, seems like a nice young man. He's the son of David Owen (author) (T-H-L) and has had several articles published by The New Yorker.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:39 pm

Great, people try to fix Neelix's abuses, and who shows up to stop them? Cirt, Harry Mitchell, and Hochman.
Scum. "Poor Neelix" my ass.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:04 am

I wonder why Mrs. Chase me ladies, I'm the Cavalry felt it necessary to remove the link on Johnnydown's user page that went to his personal website? There's certainly nothing offensive there and there are plenty of wikipedians who have links to their personal websites on their user page.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:26 am

turnoffthenews wrote:there is trouble on the meat farm, fellas

to be honest, I haven't kept up with this too much, but apparently an overzealous admin has indefinitely banned just about everyone making edits to Neelix's articles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ter_Neelix
Permanent link, because that's a classic.
This is not a signature.

Wonderer
Regular
Actual Name: Robert Soupe

Unread post by Wonderer » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:37 am

Not sure why, but in looking at Tara Teng's WP page, it occurred to me that maybe Harriet Tubman's page is shorter. Harriet Tubman has a longer page than Tara Teng, by my unscientific scrollbar criterion, but if Neelix had kept at it, that would probably have changed.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:33 am

Wonderer wrote:Not sure why, but in looking at Tara Teng's WP page, it occurred to me that maybe Harriet Tubman's page is shorter. Harriet Tubman has a longer page than Tara Teng, by my unscientific scrollbar criterion, but if Neelix had kept at it, that would probably have changed.
That would have made Tara Teng the greatest abolitionist in North American history, would it not?

RfB

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:01 pm

Jim wrote:
Poetlister wrote:Why doesn't "Raël's Girls" have its own article?
You just wanna snag a profile pic. Admit it. :blink:

Yeah, I wondered that too, Probably because nobody's ever taken the faintest bit of notice of them. Maybe.
There is, unfortunately, only one IRS book on the subject of Raelianism, and only a few articles which discuss the matter in depth. Some years ago I looked, and looked again more recently when I heard about the new Las Vegas alien embassy or whatever the hell it is. Not even Rael's books are really notable enough for separate articles. I kind of wish that weren't the case, myself. Some of the information in them, like Rael having sex with women of all seven races (red, white, black, brown, yellow, green, and purple - unfortunately apparently without photos, dammit) and some photos of some of Rael's girls in what might be called their "official uniforms" (underwear) in the event the aliens ever do show up and want some relaxation, are actually pretty damn good.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:31 pm

There's a totally gratuitous photo in Raëlism (T-H-L) of a Rael girl, captioned "Woman on bed adorned with Raëlian symbol".

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Poetlister wrote:There's a totally gratuitous photo in Raëlism (T-H-L) of a Rael girl, captioned "Woman on bed adorned with Raëlian symbol".
I'm not sure it is entirely gratuitous. It should be noted that the Rael girls have, more or less as their specific purpose, the role of providing sexual services to the aliens if and when they arrive.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:17 am

Had about 5 promoted tweets from an evangelical "anti sex-slavery" organization today that I'd never heard of. Had a look on Wikipedia. Plenty of signs of promotional editing by the group on its article, "The A21 Campaign (T-H-L)," and the one on its founder Christine Caine (T-H-L). But no sign of David Mark Purdy ("Neelix"). Had a look to see if he's back. Of course he is, grinding away promoting his view of the world. His "retirement" lasted a few days short of two whole months. He's been busy the past day or so on the ever popular JC's Girls (T-H-L).

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:32 pm

DanMurphy wrote:But no sign of David Mark Purdy ("Neelix"). Had a look to see if he's back. Of course he is, grinding away promoting his view of the world. His "retirement" lasted a few days short of two whole months.
A nice warm welcome back on his talk page from our very own Carrite, too.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:38 am

An item that was overlooked about Neelix, just stumbled over today:
Russian Dolls: Sex Trade (T-H-L)

This TV show is unknown in the US or Canada, as far as I can tell. Neelix messed with it several times because the show is about sex trafficking -- yet at no time did he bother to repair the article's broken English.

As recently as 23 March, Neelix was grinding on Commons with bots--hundreds of category edits per day. And he is still grinding on en-WP itself. Perhaps someone can explain why he, a guy in Canada, spends so much time working on articles about "theme" restaurants at Disney World, such as 50's Prime Time Café (T-H-L), Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano (T-H-L), and Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant (T-H-L).

Is this paid editing, or is he just hopelessly in love with Disney World?

JCM
Gregarious

Unread post by JCM » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:51 pm

EricBarbour wrote:An item that was overlooked about Neelix, just stumbled over today:
Russian Dolls: Sex Trade (T-H-L)

This TV show is unknown in the US or Canada, as far as I can tell. Neelix messed with it several times because the show is about sex trafficking -- yet at no time did he bother to repair the article's broken English.

As recently as 23 March, Neelix was grinding on Commons with bots--hundreds of category edits per day. And he is still grinding on en-WP itself. Perhaps someone can explain why he, a guy in Canada, spends so much time working on articles about "theme" restaurants at Disney World, such as 50's Prime Time Café (T-H-L), Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano (T-H-L), and Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant (T-H-L).

Is this paid editing, or is he just hopelessly in love with Disney World?
Alternately, I think it might be taking one of the more reasonable approaches to a lot of content areas which have a largish number of related articles, and that is gathering the sources together for a given topic, like Disney World, and adding the material directly related to existing articles from those sources to the relevant articles. Actually, I have to say that approach might be one of the best ways to develop content in a lot of topic areas.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Fri May 15, 2015 1:41 pm

Purdy is a real slickster.
In what way do you feel the article promotes an agenda? Opposing the manner in which an article is written is not a reason for deletion, nor are incoming links. ([[User talk:Neelix|talk]]) 23:50, 14 May 2015 (UTC)
The deletion discussion on that nasty little coatrack of his has been open since April 24. Not sure if that's about admins not wanting to do the right thing because of "the bad place" or (in some ways more interesting) because of the decline in number of administrators willing to do this kind of work at all.

Yeah. A real slickster:
There isn't anything else in WP:EVENT that suggests that we should ignore the applicability of WP:GNG in this case. As has been amply demonstrated above, WP:BLP1E is not relevant to this article as this article is not a biography but is about the event itself. Because a significant number of the "delete" comments above cite one of these inapplicable guidelines, and because of the canvassing concerns raised above, I would urge the closing administrator to be especially judicious in weighing the arguments and not the number of !votes on either side. Neelix (talk) 17:41, 8 May 2015 (UTC)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri May 15, 2015 3:55 pm

As has been amply demonstrated above, WP:BLP1E is not relevant to this article as this article is not a biography but is about the event itself.
Doesn't that that make WP:BLP1E completely worthless? Just take any article about someone only notable for one thing, and twist it a bit and Bob's your uncle.

Wonderer
Regular
Actual Name: Robert Soupe

Unread post by Wonderer » Fri May 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Doesn't that that make WP:BLP1E completely worthless?
If the right person invokes it, WP:BLP1E does have value, but this is true of almost any Wikipedia policy. But if you invoke it, no matter how valid your points might be, it doesn't matter, you're a sockmaster and it's time to pin new socks on you.

In the five months since this thread was started, the Tara Teng (T-H-L) article has gone from 17,343 bytes to 71,153 bytes.

Liz99
Critic

Unread post by Liz99 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:04 pm

Wonderer wrote:
If the right person invokes it, WP:BLP1E does have value, but this is true of almost any Wikipedia policy. But if you invoke it, no matter how valid your points might be, it doesn't matter, you're a sockmaster and it's time to pin new socks on you.

In the five months since this thread was started, the Tara Teng (T-H-L) article has gone from 17,343 bytes to 71,153 bytes.
This thread seems timely today.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:36 pm

Wonderer wrote:In the five months since this thread was started, the Tara Teng (T-H-L) article has gone from 17,343 bytes to 71,153 bytes.
Shortly after that post, it peaked at 72,069 bytes. It's just fallen to 70,280 bytes but is still ridiculously inflated. For comparison, Pamela Anderson (T-H-L) is 48,512 bytes.

Drijfzand
Critic

Unread post by Drijfzand » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:23 am

Liz99 wrote:
Wonderer wrote:

wtf...
Motion: For conduct unbecoming an administrator, namely the mass creation of inappropriate redirects, Neelix (talk · contribs) is desysoped. He may regain the tools at any time via a successful request for adminship.

Nudity of the thorax, naked pelvis, nude pelvis, Fragmentationally, Fragmentingness, Feminisationally, White supremacistical, Constructed titty, Constructions of the booby... those are only the ones mentioned on his talk page

edit: Ow, have only now read the whole AN/I. he made thousands... Atrophy of the titties, Inflames titties, Tumorous boobies .... and nobody noticed up till now? :blink:
Tweaker in Metropolis

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:01 am

In the last few weeks there were some other editors (IP's for the most part) who were creating thousands of redirects, so people have been looking a bit more closely.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:56 am

Liz99 wrote:
Wonderer wrote:

A little more creepy than the days of yesteryear...

RfB

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:40 pm

Anroth wrote:In the last few weeks there were some other editors (IP's for the most part) who were creating thousands of redirects, so people have been looking a bit more closely.
How can an IP create a redirect? A redirect counts as an article, and IPs cannot create articles.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:08 pm

My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:22 pm

Awesome.

Why did it take them years to find this out?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:29 am

Vigilant wrote:
Awesome.

Why did it take them years to find this out?
Because the site is vast and chaotic, and nobody was looking.

Ninserman

Unread post by Ninserman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:04 pm

Also, since Neelix is an admin, redirects created by him are exempt from showing on the "new pages patrol" list.

The motion to desysop was declined, because arbitrators thought that the matter deserved a full hearing. A case has now been opened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _redirects

Looking over the list of redirects, this thing is hilarious. :rotfl: It was the "boobies"/"titties" ones that actually caused this activity to be discovered, with such masterpieces as "Tittypumper" (redirected to "breast pump") "Tumorous boobies" (redirected to "breast cancer"), "Atrophy of the titties" and "Segmental removal of the titties". But there are some other completely wacky ones, such as this list of redirects to Polycephaly (T-H-L) that Neelix deleted himself, starting at "Thirteen-headed" and going up to "Twenty-eight-headed", with several variations on each. Also, "Anti-trousers" redirecting to "Pantslessness" (an article that Neelix himself created).

And this has been going on undiscovered for years! You start to wonder what can be the motivation for this activity. I can think of three possibilities:
1) This is an elaborate troll,
2) Neelix is completely wacky,
3) What I think is most likely: Neelix is a user with a somewhat obsessive-compulsive personality, who believes he has been helping Wikipedia by creating redirects to articles from all sorts of permutations of related terms. He has obviously been using some sort of computer program to generate all possible permutations based on some pattern, for example here where he created a series of redirects to "Stepfamily" following a mechanical pattern, including "Step sises", "Stepsises" "Step bros" "Stepbros", "Stepsisterness", "Stepbrotherness" etc., and here (starting from #49825), where he created a series of breast-related redirects very similar to the ones that got him in trouble, but using "breasts" instead of "boobies" or "titties". I think that he somewhat thoughtlessly programmed his permutation-generating script to include "titties" and "boobies" as synonyms of breasts, and didn't realize how silly the resulting redirects would sound. Look at his reaction to the whole kerfuffle, apologizing profusely for creating these redirects and withdrawing from further comment. He seems genuinely bothered from this episode, which I believe stems from foolish use of a script, and not an intent to be childish or misogynistic (which some people are accusing him of). "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity".

It'll be fun to watch the arbitration proceedings :popcorn: I'm quite sure he's going to be desysopped, and probably topic-banned from creating redirects.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:11 pm

Ninserman wrote: 3) What I think is most likely: Neelix is a user with a somewhat obsessive-compulsive personality, who believes he has been helping Wikipedia by creating redirects to articles from all sorts of permutations of related terms. He has obviously been using some sort of computer program to generate all possible permutations based on some pattern, for example here where he created a series of redirects to "Stepfamily" following a mechanical pattern, including "Step sises", "Stepsises" "Step bros" "Stepbros", "Stepsisterness", "Stepbrotherness" etc., and here (starting from #49825), where he created a series of breast-related redirects very similar to the ones that got him in trouble, but using "breasts" instead of "boobies" or "titties". I think that he somewhat thoughtlessly programmed his permutation-generating script to include "titties" and "boobies" as synonyms of breasts, and didn't realize how silly the resulting redirects would sound. Look at his reaction to the whole kerfuffle, apologizing profusely for creating these redirects and withdrawing from further comment. He seems genuinely bothered from this episode, which I believe stems from foolish use of a script, and not an intent to be childish or misogynistic (which some people are accusing him of). "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity".
We shouldn't get into psychoanalysis, but I feel this is basically it. Roll in the fact that he is a Salvationist, so obvious triggers, and you just have a guy who can't control himself on the internet.
"Hey, I can help the Lord on wikipedia, but I'm still not grown up, so boobs". Sheltered, this one.
Hardly unique on wikipedia. I actually think he needs to be blocked for his own good, and I'm not even kidding a little bit when I say that.
Last edited by Jim on Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ninserman

Unread post by Ninserman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:14 pm

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:20 pm

Ninserman wrote:Also, since Neelix is an admin, redirects created by him are exempt from showing on the "new pages patrol" list.
Yes, this.

There clearly needs to be a separate feed of new pages created only by admins.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:23 pm

Hex wrote:
Ninserman wrote:Also, since Neelix is an admin, redirects created by him are exempt from showing on the "new pages patrol" list.
Yes, this.

There clearly needs to be a separate feed of new pages created only by admins.
Apparently, you have to "switch on" redirects for them to even show at all in the default new pages feed (going on hearsay here). If so, how many "patrollers" would do that?

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:45 pm

The motion to desysop was declined, because arbitrators thought that the matter deserved a full hearing. A case has now been opened.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _redirects

Looking over the list of redirects, this thing is hilarious. :rotfl: It was the "boobies"/"titties" ones that actually caused this activity to be discovered, with such masterpieces as "Tittypumper" (redirected to "breast pump") "Tumorous boobies" (redirected to "breast cancer"), "Atrophy of the titties" and "Segmental removal of the titties". But there are some other completely wacky ones, such as this list of redirects to Polycephaly (T-H-L) that Neelix deleted himself, starting at "Thirteen-headed" and going up to "Twenty-eight-headed", with several variations on each. Also, "Anti-trousers" redirecting to "Pantslessness" (an article that Neelix himself created).

And this has been going on undiscovered for years! You start to wonder what can be the motivation for this activity. I can think of three possibilities:
1) This is an elaborate troll,
2) Neelix is completely wacky,
3) What I think is most likely: Neelix is a user with a somewhat obsessive-compulsive personality, who believes he has been helping Wikipedia by creating redirects to articles from all sorts of permutations of related terms. He has obviously been using some sort of computer program to generate all possible permutations based on some pattern, for example here where he created a series of redirects to "Stepfamily" following a mechanical pattern, including "Step sises", "Stepsises" "Step bros" "Stepbros", "Stepsisterness", "Stepbrotherness" etc., and here (starting from #49825), where he created a series of breast-related redirects very similar to the ones that got him in trouble, but using "breasts" instead of "boobies" or "titties". I think that he somewhat thoughtlessly programmed his permutation-generating script to include "titties" and "boobies" as synonyms of breasts, and didn't realize how silly the resulting redirects would sound. Look at his reaction to the whole kerfuffle, apologizing profusely for creating these redirects and withdrawing from further comment. He seems genuinely bothered from this episode, which I believe stems from foolish use of a script, and not an intent to be childish or misogynistic (which some people are accusing him of). "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity".

It'll be fun to watch the arbitration proceedings :popcorn: I'm quite sure he's going to be desysopped, and probably topic-banned from creating redirects.
A terrific first post!

:welcome:
to Ninserman.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Ninserman

Unread post by Ninserman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Zoloft wrote: :welcome:
to Ninserman.
Thank you!

It appears that the redirect debacle has caused even more trouble for Neelix - people are now going through the articles he has created and nominating them for deletion in droves. Look at his talk page, which is drowning in deletion notifications.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Ninserman wrote:Also, "Anti-trousers" redirecting to "Pantslessness" (an article that Neelix himself created).
It's Pantlessness (T-H-L); catch it quick as it's up for deletion.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:27 pm

Ninserman wrote:3) What I think is most likely: Neelix is a user with a somewhat obsessive-compulsive personality, who believes he has been helping Wikipedia by creating redirects to articles from all sorts of permutations of related terms...
Has he tried making the argument that the redirects were meant to improve WP's Google rankings on those terms, so that it would show up on Page One of the results along with all the porn sites? If he hasn't, he probably should - it's at least slightly plausible, and he could say it was legitimately in the public interest.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:46 am

The signs of a problem were there weeks ago but nobody useful was paying attention.
Editing as entertainment

Apparently, we watch some of the same articles. So I went to your editing history and immediately struck with your incredible sense of humour. I never realized that creating Redirects could be so fun OR give hints on new vocabulary trends! Now when ever someone asks me, rhetorically, "Who thinks up this stuff?" I know the answer. I like your style. Best Regards,
Bfpage |leave a message 11:37, 20 September 2015 (UTC)

AnimuAvatar
Critic

Unread post by AnimuAvatar » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:44 pm

Hex wrote:The signs of a problem were there weeks ago but nobody useful was paying attention.
Editing as entertainment

Apparently, we watch some of the same articles. So I went to your editing history and immediately struck with your incredible sense of humour. I never realized that creating Redirects could be so fun OR give hints on new vocabulary trends! Now when ever someone asks me, rhetorically, "Who thinks up this stuff?" I know the answer. I like your style. Best Regards,
Oh god. Is there some sick cult dedicated to making "funny redirects"?
>greentext
>on a Wikipedia criticism board
ishygddt

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:48 pm

AnimuAvatar wrote:
Hex wrote:The signs of a problem were there weeks ago but nobody useful was paying attention.
Editing as entertainment

Oh god. Is there some sick cult dedicated to making "funny redirects"?
Yes. It's called 'Wikipedia.'

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:58 pm

They have Neelix listed as the 5th most prolific 'editor' on en.wp with 130000 clicks of the save button.
Does that number include the 50072 redirects he created?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:52 pm

I grabbed one at random, inside which we find:

Mushroomers → Mushroom hunting
Mushroomingly → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom hunt → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom hunts → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom hunted → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-hunting → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-hunted → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-hunts → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-hunt → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-hunters → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-hunter → Mushroom hunting
Mushroomhunt → Mushroom hunting
Mushroomhunts → Mushroom hunting
Mushroomhunted → Mushroom hunting
Mushroomhunting → Mushroom hunting
Mushroomhunter → Mushroom hunting
Mushroomhunters → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom pick → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom picks → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom picked → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom picker → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom pickers → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-pick → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-picks → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-picked → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-picking → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-picker → Mushroom hunting
Mushroom-pickers → Mushroom hunting
Mushroompick → Mushroom hunting
Mushroompicks → Mushroom hunting
Mushroompicked → Mushroom hunting
Mushroompicking → Mushroom hunting
Mushroompicker → Mushroom hunting
Mushroompickers → Mushroom hunting
Picking mushrooms → Mushroom hunting
Picked mushrooms → Mushroom hunting
Picks mushrooms → Mushroom hunting
Pick mushrooms → Mushroom hunting
Hunted mushrooms → Mushroom hunting
Hunts mushrooms → Mushroom hunting
Hunt mushrooms → Mushroom hunting

This is the kind of misguided weirdness that Neelix (T-C-L) has made his stock and trade. Was it done in good faith? Probably.

Unfortunately for him, he seems to have a breast fetish that took his free association off on a bizarre tangent which has put him on a collision course with our favorite WP Special Interest Group...
As part of the case statements regarding Neelix, Wikimandia wrote: Statement by Wikimandia

For the most part I have not felt any issues with being a female Wikipedian, but I am shocked to see people claim he was trying to improve Wikipedia, both here and on the ANI board. What you have here appears to be some sort of compulsive behavior related to a fetish of the female breast. I truly believe the only conceivable way he thought anyone would ever search for these terms would be if said person had a serious breast fetish. That there is even more obsessive categorization at Commons is not surprising (look how many subcategories he created for "Nude or partially nude women with necklaces in cleavage", because "Nude women with necklaces" was not a specific enough breakdown) and shows this will not easily stop. It cannot be argued this kind of individual is helping the project. I wouldn't surprised if this pops up on Gawker showing a Wikipedia admin named Neelix made 25,000 "hidden articles" about "Nipple-feeders" and "booby fuckers" and that other admins said that Neelix surely thought he was being helpful and useful (as though that's the kind of thing a reasonable male admin finds helpful around here).

Ask yourself - if Neelix had created 30,000 "innocent" redirects of all plausible combinations of the N-word, K-word, White Power slogans and lines from Hitler speeches, I wonder how many of you would be so quick to say "awww he didn't know what he was doing wasn't right and now he's all embarrassed. He was trying to be helpful!" (Be helpful and useful to whom, exactly?) I mean, if words are just words, and words shouldn't be labeled "puerile" and WP:NOTCENSORED, then your understanding of his motives would be no different if he made all those redirects, right? —МандичкаYO - 8:33 pm, Yesterday (UTC−8)
linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =689748253[/link]

RfB

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:20 pm

Jim wrote:
Ninserman wrote: 3) What I think is most likely: Neelix is a user with a somewhat obsessive-compulsive personality, who believes he has been helping Wikipedia by creating redirects to articles from all sorts of permutations of related terms. He has obviously been using some sort of computer program to generate all possible permutations based on some pattern, for example here where he created a series of redirects to "Stepfamily" following a mechanical pattern, including "Step sises", "Stepsises" "Step bros" "Stepbros", "Stepsisterness", "Stepbrotherness" etc., and here (starting from #49825), where he created a series of breast-related redirects very similar to the ones that got him in trouble, but using "breasts" instead of "boobies" or "titties". I think that he somewhat thoughtlessly programmed his permutation-generating script to include "titties" and "boobies" as synonyms of breasts, and didn't realize how silly the resulting redirects would sound. Look at his reaction to the whole kerfuffle, apologizing profusely for creating these redirects and withdrawing from further comment. He seems genuinely bothered from this episode, which I believe stems from foolish use of a script, and not an intent to be childish or misogynistic (which some people are accusing him of). "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity".
We shouldn't get into psychoanalysis, but I feel this is basically it. Roll in the fact that he is a Salvationist, so obvious triggers, and you just have a guy who can't control himself on the internet.
"Hey, I can help the Lord on wikipedia, but I'm still not grown up, so boobs". Sheltered, this one.
Hardly unique on wikipedia. I actually think he needs to be blocked for his own good, and I'm not even kidding a little bit when I say that.
Wikipedia true believers are uncomfortable criticizing one of their own on the shit that matters: competence. Even when obsessiveness is borderline literary, as long as the person shows slavish devotion to the community "rules", they will be given wide berth and even be praised for their efforts. Have a gander at much of the supposed "best work" of this fellow. Look at the last "good article" he wrote:

Lucky and Squash (T-H-L)

This article, along with essentially everything else that Neelix does, lies squarely in the uncanny valley. It combines all the best of mechanical and formulaic writing with a subject matter that is beyond banal. Think of the research that Neelix put in to this piece as he dug deeply into various search engine results and read all the fantastic slow news day articles about the author's various publicity tours. What results is a masterpiece of Wikipedia nonsense that comes out to be longer than the book itself and follows every rabbit hole nearly to its bottom. It helpfully gives a one sentence plot summary of Ferris Bueller's Day Off and shows a Pre-Raphaelite painting* to illustrate an allusion used in a perfunctory trade journal review. The whole thing is a parody of itself.

Neelix's contributions scream loudly for the need for Wikipedia to have proper editorial oversight.

*What is it with Wikipedians and Pre-Raphaelites anyway? Do they like them just because Thomas Kinkade prints are still in copyright?

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:47 pm

iii wrote: Lucky and Squash (T-H-L)

This article, along with essentially everything else that Neelix does, lies squarely in the uncanny valley. It combines all the best of mechanical and formulaic writing with a subject matter that is beyond banal. Think of the research that Neelix put in to this piece as he dug deeply into various search engine results and read all the fantastic slow news day articles about the author's various publicity tours. What results is a masterpiece of Wikipedia nonsense that comes out to be longer than the book itself and follows every rabbit hole nearly to its bottom. It helpfully gives a one sentence plot summary of Ferris Bueller's Day Off and shows a Pre-Raphaelite painting* to illustrate an allusion used in a perfunctory trade journal review. The whole thing is a parody of itself.
:bow: Please review more articles!

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:52 pm

Vigilant wrote:They have Neelix listed as the 5th most prolific 'editor' on en.wp with 130000 clicks of the save button.
Does that number include the 50072 redirects he created?
Yes, it would. Even contributions to WP:ANI count as edits!

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:02 am

Wonderer wrote:In the five months since this thread was started, the Tara Teng article has gone from 17,343 bytes to 71,153 bytes.
From 70,623 bytes on 6 November 2015‎, Tara Teng (T-H-L) now stands at 15,720 bytes. :hamsterwheel:

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:14 am

This made me chuckle:
What were you thinking when you sat down and created these 398 Redirects to Insulated glazing all in a row? How could these possibly be useful. The vast majority of them are not even real words. Legacypac (talk) 08:59, 10 November 2015 (UTC)
Triple-pane → Insulated glazing Triplepane → Insulated glazing Triple panes → Insulated glazing Triple-panes → Insulated glazing Triplepanes → Insulated glazing Triple-paned → Insulated glazing Triplepaned → Insulated glazing Triple paning → Insulated glazing Triple-paning → Insulated glazing Triplepaning → Insulated glazing Triple-glazing → Insulated glazing Tripleglazing → Insulated glazing Triple glaze → Insulated glazing Triple-glaze → Insulated glazing Tripleglaze → Insulated glazing Triple glazes → Insulated glazing Triple-glazes → Insulated glazing Tripleglazes → Insulated glazing Triple glazed → Insulated glazing Triple-glazed → Insulated glazing Tripleglazed → Insulated glazing Double-glazing → Insulated glazing Doubleglazing → Insulated glazing Double glaze → Insulated glazing Double-glaze → Insulated glazing Doubleglaze → Insulated glazing Double glazes → Insulated glazing Double-glazes → Insulated glazing Doubleglazes → Insulated glazing Double glazed → Insulated glazing Double-glazed → Insulated glazing Doubleglazed → Insulated glazing Double glazer → Insulated glazing Double-glazer → Insulated glazing Doubleglazer → Insulated glazing Double glazers → Insulated glazing Double-glazers → Insulated glazing Doubleglazers → Insulated glazing Triple glazer → Insulated glazing Triple-glazer → Insulated glazing Tripleglazer → Insulated glazing Triple glazers → Insulated glazing Triple-glazers → Insulated glazing Tripleglazers → Insulated glazing Double-pane → Insulated glazing Doublepane → Insulated glazing Double panes → Insulated glazing Double-panes → Insulated glazing Doublepanes → Insulated glazing Double-paned → Insulated glazing Doublepaned → Insulated glazing Double paning → Insulated glazing Double-paning → Insulated glazing Doublepaning → Insulated glazing Triple paner → Insulated glazing Triple-paner → Insulated glazing Triplepaner → Insulated glazing Triple paners → Insulated glazing Triple-paners → Insulated glazing Triplepaners → Insulated glazing Double paner → Insulated glazing Doublepaner → Insulated glazing Double paners → Insulated glazing Double-paners → Insulated glazing Doublepaners → Insulated glazing Double pane window → Insulated glazing Double-pane window → Insulated glazing Doublepane window → Insulated glazing Double pane windows → Insulated glazing Double-pane windows → Insulated glazing Doublepane windows → Insulated glazing Double-paned window → Insulated glazing Doublepaned window → Insulated glazing Double paned windows → Insulated glazing Double-paned windows → Insulated glazing Doublepaned windows → Insulated glazing Triple pane window → Insulated glazing Triple-pane window → Insulated glazing Triplepane window → Insulated glazing Triplepane windows → Insulated glazing Double pane glass → Insulated glazing Double-pane glass → Insulated glazing Doublepane glass → Insulated glazing Triple pane glass → Insulated glazing Triple-pane glass → Insulated glazing Triplepane glass → Insulated glazing Double pane glasses → Insulated glazing Double-pane glasses → Insulated glazing Doublepane glasses → Insulated glazing Triple pane glasses → Insulated glazing Triple-pane glasses → Insulated glazing Triplepane glasses → Insulated glazing Double-paned glass → Insulated glazing Doublepaned glass → Insulated glazing Double paned glasses → Insulated glazing Double-paned glasses → Insulated glazing Doublepaned glasses → Insulated glazing Triple paned glass → Insulated glazing Triple-paned glass → Insulated glazing Triplepaned glass → Insulated glazing Triple paned glasses → Insulated glazing Triple-paned glasses → Insulated glazing Triplepaned glasses → Insulated glazing Double-glazed window → Insulated glazing Doubleglazed window → Insulated glazing Double glazed windows → Insulated glazing Double-glazed windows → Insulated glazing Doubleglazed windows → Insulated glazing Triple glazed window → Insulated glazing Triple-glazed window → Insulated glazing Tripleglazed window → Insulated glazing Triple glazed windows → Insulated glazing Triple-glazed windows → Insulated glazing Tripleglazed windows → Insulated glazing Quadruple glazing → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glazing → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglazing → Insulated glazing Quadruple glaze → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glaze → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglaze → Insulated glazing Quadruple glazes → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glazes → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglazes → Insulated glazing Quadruple glazed → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glazed → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglazed → Insulated glazing Quadruple pane → Insulated glazing Quadruple-pane → Insulated glazing Quadruplepane → Insulated glazing Quadruple panes → Insulated glazing Quadruple-panes → Insulated glazing Quadruple paned → Insulated glazing Quadruple-paned → Insulated glazing Quadruplepaned → Insulated glazing Quadruple paning → Insulated glazing Quadruple-paning → Insulated glazing Quadruplepaning → Insulated glazing Quadruple paner → Insulated glazing Quadruple-paner → Insulated glazing Quadruplepaner → Insulated glazing Quadruple paners → Insulated glazing Quadruple-paners → Insulated glazing Quadruplepaners → Insulated glazing Quadruple pane window → Insulated glazing Quadruple-pane window → Insulated glazing Quadruplepane window → Insulated glazing Quadruple pane windows → Insulated glazing Quadruple-pane windows → Insulated glazing Quadruplepane windows → Insulated glazing Quadruple paned window → Insulated glazing Quadruple-paned window → Insulated glazing Quadruplepaned window → Insulated glazing Quadruple paned windows → Insulated glazing Quadruple-paned windows → Insulated glazing Quadruplepaned windows → Insulated glazing Quadruple pane glass → Insulated glazing Quadruple-pane glass → Insulated glazing Quadruplepane glass → Insulated glazing Quadruple pane glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruple-pane glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruplepane glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruple paned glass → Insulated glazing Quadruple-paned glass → Insulated glazing Quadruplepaned glass → Insulated glazing Quadruple paned glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruple-paned glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruplepaned glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruple glazed window → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glazed window → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglazed window → Insulated glazing Quadruple glazed windows → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glazed windows → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglazed windows → Insulated glazing Double glaze window → Insulated glazing Double-glaze window → Insulated glazing Doubleglaze window → Insulated glazing Double glaze windows → Insulated glazing Double-glaze windows → Insulated glazing Doubleglaze windows → Insulated glazing Triple glaze window → Insulated glazing Triple-glaze window → Insulated glazing Tripleglaze window → Insulated glazing Triple glaze windows → Insulated glazing Triple-glaze windows → Insulated glazing Tripleglaze windows → Insulated glazing Quadruple glaze window → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glaze window → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglaze window → Insulated glazing Quadruple glaze windows → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glaze windows → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglaze windows → Insulated glazing Double glaze glass → Insulated glazing Double-glaze glass → Insulated glazing Doubleglaze glass → Insulated glazing Double glaze glasses → Insulated glazing Double-glaze glasses → Insulated glazing Doubleglaze glasses → Insulated glazing Double glazed glass → Insulated glazing Double-glazed glass → Insulated glazing Doubleglazed glass → Insulated glazing Double glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Double-glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Doubleglazed glasses → Insulated glazing Triple glaze glass → Insulated glazing Triple-glaze glass → Insulated glazing Tripleglaze glass → Insulated glazing Triple glaze glasses → Insulated glazing Triple-glaze glasses → Insulated glazing Tripleglaze glasses → Insulated glazing Triple glazed glass → Insulated glazing Triple-glazed glass → Insulated glazing Tripleglazed glass → Insulated glazing Triple glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Triple-glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Tripleglazed glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruple glaze glass → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glaze glass → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglaze glass → Insulated glazing Quadruple glaze glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glaze glasses → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglaze glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruple glazed glass → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glazed glass → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglazed glass → Insulated glazing Quadruple glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglazed glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuple glaze → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glaze → Insulated glazing Quintupleglaze → Insulated glazing Quintuple glazes → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glazes → Insulated glazing Quintupleglazes → Insulated glazing Quintuple glazed → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glazed → Insulated glazing Quintupleglazed → Insulated glazing Quintuple glazing → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glazing → Insulated glazing Quintupleglazing → Insulated glazing Quadruple glazer → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glazer → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglazer → Insulated glazing Quadruple glazers → Insulated glazing Quadruple-glazers → Insulated glazing Quadrupleglazers → Insulated glazing Quintuple glazer → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glazer → Insulated glazing Quintupleglazer → Insulated glazing Quintuple glazers → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glazers → Insulated glazing Quintupleglazers → Insulated glazing Quintuple pane → Insulated glazing Quintuple-pane → Insulated glazing Quintuplepane → Insulated glazing Quintuple panes → Insulated glazing Quintuple-panes → Insulated glazing Quintuplepanes → Insulated glazing Quintuple paned → Insulated glazing Quintuple-paned → Insulated glazing Quintuple paning → Insulated glazing Quintuple-paning → Insulated glazing Quintuplepaning → Insulated glazing Quintuple paner → Insulated glazing Quintuple-paner → Insulated glazing Quintuplepaner → Insulated glazing Quintuple paners → Insulated glazing Quintuple-paners → Insulated glazing Quintuplepaners → Insulated glazing Quintuple pane window → Insulated glazing Quintuple-pane window → Insulated glazing Quintuplepane window → Insulated glazing Quintuple pane windows → Insulated glazing Quintuple-pane windows → Insulated glazing Quintuplepane windows → Insulated glazing Quintuple paned window → Insulated glazing Quintuple-paned window → Insulated glazing Quintuplepaned window → Insulated glazing Quintuple paned windows → Insulated glazing Quintuple-paned windows → Insulated glazing Quintuple pane glass → Insulated glazing Quintuple-pane glass → Insulated glazing Quintuplepane glass → Insulated glazing Quintuple pane glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuple-pane glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuplepane glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuple paned glass → Insulated glazing Quintuple-paned glass → Insulated glazing Quintuplepaned glass → Insulated glazing Quintuple paned glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuple-paned glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuplepaned glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuple glaze window → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glaze window → Insulated glazing Quintupleglaze window → Insulated glazing Quintuple glaze windows → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glaze windows → Insulated glazing Quintupleglaze windows → Insulated glazing Quintuple glazed window → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glazed window → Insulated glazing Quintupleglazed window → Insulated glazing Quintuple glazed windows → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glazed windows → Insulated glazing Quintupleglazed windows → Insulated glazing Quintuple glaze glass → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glaze glass → Insulated glazing Quintupleglaze glass → Insulated glazing Quintuple glaze glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glaze glasses → Insulated glazing Quintupleglaze glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuple glazed glass → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glazed glass → Insulated glazing Quintupleglazed glass → Insulated glazing Quintuple glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Quintuple-glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Quintupleglazed glasses → Insulated glazing Sextuple glaze → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glaze → Insulated glazing Sextupleglaze → Insulated glazing Sextuple glazes → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glazes → Insulated glazing Sextupleglazes → Insulated glazing Sextuple glazed → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glazed → Insulated glazing Sextupleglazed → Insulated glazing Sextuple glazing → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glazing → Insulated glazing Sextupleglazing → Insulated glazing Sextuple glazer → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glazer → Insulated glazing Sextupleglazer → Insulated glazing Sextuple glazers → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glazers → Insulated glazing Sextupleglazers → Insulated glazing Sextuple pane → Insulated glazing Sextuple-pane → Insulated glazing Sextuplepane → Insulated glazing Sextuple panes → Insulated glazing Sextuple-panes → Insulated glazing Sextuplepanes → Insulated glazing Sextuple paned → Insulated glazing Sextuple-paned → Insulated glazing Sextuplepaned → Insulated glazing Sextuple paning → Insulated glazing Sextuple-paning → Insulated glazing Sextuplepaning → Insulated glazing Sextuple paner → Insulated glazing Sextuple-paner → Insulated glazing Sextuplepaner → Insulated glazing Sextuple paners → Insulated glazing Sextuple-paners → Insulated glazing Sextuplepaners → Insulated glazing Sextuple pane window → Insulated glazing Sextuple-pane window → Insulated glazing Sextuplepane window → Insulated glazing Sextuple pane windows → Insulated glazing Sextuple-pane windows → Insulated glazing Sextuplepane windows → Insulated glazing Sextuple paned window → Insulated glazing Sextuple-paned window → Insulated glazing Sextuplepaned window → Insulated glazing Sextuple paned windows → Insulated glazing Sextuple-paned windows → Insulated glazing Sextuplepaned windows → Insulated glazing Sextuple pane glass → Insulated glazing Sextuple-pane glass → Insulated glazing Sextuplepane glass → Insulated glazing Sextuple pane glasses → Insulated glazing Sextuple-pane glasses → Insulated glazing Sextuplepane glasses → Insulated glazing Sextuple paned glass → Insulated glazing Sextuple-paned glass → Insulated glazing Sextuplepaned glass → Insulated glazing Sextuple paned glasses → Insulated glazing Sextuple-paned glasses → Insulated glazing Sextuple glaze window → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glaze window → Insulated glazing Sextupleglaze window → Insulated glazing Sextuple glaze windows → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glaze windows → Insulated glazing Sextupleglaze windows → Insulated glazing Sextuple glazed window → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glazed window → Insulated glazing Sextupleglazed window → Insulated glazing Sextuple glazed windows → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glazed windows → Insulated glazing Sextupleglazed windows → Insulated glazing Sextuple glaze glass → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glaze glass → Insulated glazing Sextupleglaze glass → Insulated glazing Sextuple glaze glasses → Insulated glazing Sextupleglaze glasses → Insulated glazing Sextuple glazed glass → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glazed glass → Insulated glazing Sextupleglazed glass → Insulated glazing Sextuple glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Sextuple-glazed glasses → Insulated glazing Sextupleglazed glasses → Insulated glazing Insulated glaze → Insulated glazing Insulated glazes → Insulated glazing

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:44 am

I don't know who Kelly (T-C-L) is, but he or she was one of the people who whittled down the Teng article; filed many AfDs for articles created by Neelix purely to mention Teng in; and wrote the following on AN/I in response to a comment about those. They're definitely now on my mental list of good people.
Kelly wrote: If any of this stuff can be salvaged then I'm glad to hear it. Frankly I've been removing some of Neelix's insane puffery like this and this from all over the encyclopedia, and I'm not the only one. A lot of these articles were created just to shoehorn in these Tara Teng mentions somehow, or to make her seem more important by having more blue links in her article.

At one point, this young woman, whose main reason for having a BLP here is that she won a beauty pageant, had an article longer than Dalai Lama.

1ST7 (T-C-L) gets a good-natured trout for promoting Tara Teng to good article when it looked like a stalker's shrine. Also Hawkeye7 (T-C-L) and Wolbo (T-C-L) for blindly reverting editors who were trying to trim some of the crazy level of detail, and HJ Mitchell (T-C-L) who protected the article when it was in that state. Someone should have seen then that Neelix had a problem and intervened, it might have prevented what ultimately happened. Kelly hi! 09:58, 9 November 2015 (UTC)

Oh, and Cirt (T-C-L) gets a trout for this. Just because someone has authored a featured article doesn't mean they get a free pass or that their articles can't be edited. Also goes for Laser brain (T-C-L). The only voices of common sense on that page are Ritchie333 (T-C-L) and the checkuser/clerk. Sometimes when an article draws in attention from off-wiki it's for valid reasons. Kelly hi! 11:09, 9 November 2015 (UTC)

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:26 pm

Jim wrote:
Wonderer wrote:In the five months since this thread was started, the Tara Teng article has gone from 17,343 bytes to 71,153 bytes.
From 70,623 bytes on 6 November 2015‎, Tara Teng (T-H-L) now stands at 15,720 bytes. :hamsterwheel:
It was done gradually, and by several editors including Legacypac, Antepenultimate, Kelly, Epicgenius, Ritchie333 and Softlavender. Who says that crowdsourcing never works?

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:17 pm

Neelix (at WP:BN) wrote: (link...)

Requesting desysop

Given the recommendations that have been made to me, I voluntarily lay down my adminship, recognizing that I will need to make a new request for adminship in order to have a chance at becoming an administrator again. I understand that becoming an administrator again in the future will not be automatic upon reapplication. Neelix (talk) 19:14, 12 November 2015 (UTC)

Done. 28bytes (talk) 19:30, 12 November 2015 (UTC)

I think this was the right choice, thank you for that Neelix. WormTT(talk) 19:33, 12 November 2015 (UTC)

"Neelix is taking a long wikibreak and will be back on Wikipedia eventually, most likely."

Last edited by Jim on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:27 pm

Jim wrote:
Neelix at WP:BN wrote:Requesting desysop
(link...)

Given the recommendations that have been made to me, I voluntarily lay down my adminship, recognizing that I will need to make a new request for adminship in order to have a chance at becoming an administrator again. I understand that becoming an administrator again in the future will not be automatic upon reapplication. Neelix (talk) 19:14, 12 November 2015 (UTC)

Done. 28bytes (talk) 19:30, 12 November 2015 (UTC)

I think this was the right choice, thank you for that Neelix. WormTT(talk) 19:33, 12 November 2015 (UTC)

"Neelix is taking a long wikibreak and will be back on Wikipedia eventually, most likely."

What?!

No hue and cry about losing a valuable content creator?!