Wim Crusio

For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
EricBarbour

kołdry

Wim Crusio

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:16 am

How have we not ever mentioned Wim Crusio (T-H-L)? He certainly has a long, detailed bio for a semi-obscure scientist, yes?

Created in September 2010, mostly with one epic edit, by a claimed student with an amazing interest in Crusio and anything relating to Crusio.

Said account was called "UB1Talence (T-C-L)". Look at the talkpage.
Then look at Crusio (T-C-L) and Guillaume2303 (T-C-L). From 2007 until 2012, Crusio was editing content, including articles about biology and genetics plus about some of his colleagues. And he evidently hates a book called The Gene Illusion.

UB1Talence was banned by Orangemike for "spamusername". Crusio's article was later edited by Crusio himself and some other extremely-questionable accounts, and has been carefully guarded for the last 2 years by a nut admin called Randykitty (T-C-L)......who likes to gnome articles about scientific journals, just as Crusio did. Are they protecting his bio because he wrote a ton of science content for WP? Or is Randykitty a Crusio sockpuppet? Look at "Question 4" in Randykitty's RFA. Guillaume2303 rolled up his account in November 2012, which is when Randykitty appeared.
A:: I have never edited WP using more than 1 account simultaneously. However, I have used other usernames in the past. I originally registered about 7 years ago, using my real name as handle. I actually prefer editing under my own name, but have come to the conclusion that such is only possible if everybody else here would do the same, an obviously unattainable situation. Several times I was harassed in RL, in one case even with a troll emailing colleagues of mine that they apparently perceived as my superiors, asking them to make me stop (this was a conflict on COI editing by said trolls). I decided to make a clean start and edited under a different name for a short while (a couple of hundred edits), when I discovered that I also could ask for a rename. So I abandoned the new account and had the old account (with my real name) renamed. My reasoning was that trolls and really abusive editors are only very rarely familiar enough with WP to be able to find out about my earlier username. This went well for a while but in the end, even though renamed, my account was still inextricably linked to my real name and, I guess inevitably, one bad day a troll found out and I got harassed all over again. At that point I abandoned the old account completely and became Randykitty. I informed ArbCom of my clean start and a few people here know of my real-life identity (notably Drmies and DGG). Under none of my previous three usernames (my real name, the abandoned clean start, and the renamed account) have I ever been subjected to any restrictions or been blocked (except for a 30-sec block that an admin did by mistake and for which they apologized profusely). For the purposes of this RFA, I hope that my current 16 month edit history is sufficient for the community to judge my suitability as an admin.
For chrissakes, ED jokes about Crusio editing his own bio in the "Bureaucratic Fuck" article. He even put it on 16 different language Wikipedias (it sez there).

Crusio even created an article called Crusio (ice cream parlor) (T-H-L) in 2012. Family business?

Vejvančický
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Vejvančický
Actual Name: Antonín Vejvančický

Re: Wim Crusio

Unread post by Vejvančický » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:00 pm

I think that you are right. I remember Crusio as an editor with interest in neuroscience and academic journals. See User:Randykitty#Editing_interests (T-H-L). I remember him as a good editor. Your claims about the "family business" seems to be valid as well, Wim Crusio was born in Bergen op Zoom, and the company operates there.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:09 pm

I'll give $100 to the WMF if they can get Wim Crusio and the person provably responsible for Randykitty in the same room, and two different people show up.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Vejvančický
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Vejvančický
Actual Name: Antonín Vejvančický

Unread post by Vejvančický » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:51 pm

Solus ipse Inc. (T-C-L), a collaborator of Guillaume2303 (T-C-L), has created articles about Wim Crusio on Czech, Russian, Polish, Ukrainian and maybe other Slavic-language Wikipedias.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:54 pm

In a typical distraction attempt, Mr. Crusio (after being informed of this thread) tries to claim that we, not Encyclopedia Dramatica, are saying he "is a bureaucratic fuck who speaks 16 languages," when in fact Mr. Barbour above merely made reference to his being included in the "Bureaucratic Fuck" category on ED and that his BLP article has been copied to 16 non-English Wikipedia subdomains. Rarely do you see such an obvious display of deception and chicanery...

Nevertheless, he then somewhat more effectively attempts to deflect scrutiny by pointing out that he himself nominated his own BLP, which at that time was a stub, for deletion in 2009. It was re-created a year later by his UB1Talence account, using (as Mr. Barbour indicates) one really large edit, suggesting that he'd been working on it for some time, and knew that posting large articles in a minimum number of edits was (at least at that time) the best way to get past the New Page Patrollers. Meanwhile, the article itself is harmless enough, but it's essentially a resumé formatted as a Wikipedia article. I'm surprised he didn't include a photograph of his penis.

Of course, nobody is doubting his intelligence; he apparently doubts everyone else's, but that's not surprising for the sort of person who would do stuff like this.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:58 pm

My $100 offer still stands.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:13 pm

thekohser wrote:My $100 offer still stands.
My big question here is, even if you gave the money directly to Crusio himself, how much would you have to offer to make it profitable for a man like him to hire an actor, give him the account's password, and then have him study the article for several days so that he can show up at the meeting and convincingly pretend to be a complete stranger who just happens to have meticulously studied his entire professional history and circumstances, all the way down to details of who his lab assistants are?

He seems to be a fairly successful guy and probably not in great need of money, but the WP article is clearly important to him, and might even be one of his best self-promotional tools, given that there will never be anything negative in it. So he might very well do that for only $100, and eat the expense of the actor hire as a cost of doing business.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:24 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:In a typical distraction attempt, Mr. Crusio (after being informed of this thread) tries to claim that we, not Encyclopedia Dramatica, are saying he "is a bureaucratic fuck who speaks 16 languages," when in fact Mr. Barbour above merely made reference to his being included in the "Bureaucratic Fuck" category on ED and that his BLP article has been copied to 16 non-English Wikipedia subdomains. Rarely do you see such an obvious display of deception and chicanery...

Nevertheless, he then somewhat more effectively attempts to deflect scrutiny by pointing out that he himself nominated his own BLP, which at that time was a stub, for deletion in 2009. It was re-created a year later by his UB1Talence account, using (as Mr. Barbour indicates) one really large edit, suggesting that he'd been working on it for some time, and knew that posting large articles in a minimum number of edits was (at least at that time) the best way to get past the New Page Patrollers. Meanwhile, the article itself is harmless enough, but it's essentially a resumé formatted as a Wikipedia article. I'm surprised he didn't include a photograph of his penis.

Of course, nobody is doubting his intelligence; he apparently doubts everyone else's, but that's not surprising for the sort of person who would do stuff like this.

What, do I have to start posting examples of "Randykitty" running down rivals of Mr. Crusio?

As I see it, this is a point of multiple failure, which is rather unusual, even for a bad administrator:

*Crusio is using Wikipedia as a LinkedIn and free autobiography publisher.
*Crusio is using Wikipedia to advertise his family's business.
*Crusio is using Wikipedia to attack people he doesn't like, such as the author of The Gene Illusion.
*Otherwise, Crusio is a "category and template gnome" of little real value to Wikipedia.
*Powerful people like Drmies and David Goodman are protecting him.
*We can be goddamned certain the other administrators know who he really is and what he's doing, and they're letting him.
*Plus, as usual, OrangeMike fucked up and blocked the wrong account.

Apart from passing an RFA, how is Crusio different from Qworty?

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:36 am

I assume his bio passed scrutiny because his field of expertise doesn't cross purposes with any of the cabals in WP. If he was a proponent of alternative medicine, theistic science, race-based theories on intelligence, a supporter of zionism or a two-state solution for Israel, anti- video games or Japanese anime, or sceptical of human-caused global warming, WP editors and administrators would have been all over this.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:42 am

EricBarbour wrote:*Crusio is using Wikipedia to advertise his family's business.
*Crusio is using Wikipedia to attack people he doesn't like, such as the author of The Gene Illusion...

Apart from passing an RFA, how is Crusio different from Qworty?
On the surface at least, he doesn't look as bad as Mr. Qworty, if we look at it as a matter of degree. In the first case, there's no question - the Crusio_(ice_cream_parlor) (T-H-L) article might actually be worthy of inclusion on the Dutch Wikipedia, but on the English one it's just silly to have it there, and I don't care if the ice cream is truly wonderful, this is just naked vanity/self-promotion. Again though, it's relatively harmless from an uninvolved perspective, unless maybe you're a competing ice cream parlor in the Netherlands catering to English tourists.

But the second thing... that's more interesting. I happen to agree with Mr. (or, I should say, Dr.) Crusio that behavior can be strongly influenced by genetics, family history, etc., so maybe I'm too biased in his favor to be objective about it, but it doesn't seem to me that he's attacking the author himself (Jay Joseph, who doesn't have a BLP, though his name is a redirect to the book) so much as he's attacking his basic idea of dismissing genetic heredity as a negligible influence on human behavior.

So if we're saying Qworty is the Gold Standard of Long-Term Manipulative Wikipedian Backbiting+Self-Aggrandizement and therefore a 10 (though I believe we've seen worse than him), Crusio would only be a 5, or even a 4, in my estimation. And that's part of the problem; the nicer - or less harmful - you are about it, the more likely you are to get away with it long-term. He may very well continue to get away with it, despite how obvious a case this is. Mr. Cla68 is also correct in that neuropsychology is not an area in which Wikipedians generally fight amongst each other. Though Mr. Crusio has clearly managed to piss a few people off... maybe I (or somebody) should look into that further.

AL1
Critic
Nom de plume: Fetty Wap

Unread post by AL1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:12 pm

Two points: first, isn't it a bit of a dead giveaway that an article is self-promotion when the picture accompanying it is something that looks like it came out of a "Pictures from my Vacation" slideshow?

And secondly, evidently Mr Crusio is clever enough to be a Heidelberg postdoc, but not clever enough to think of a fake username that is nothing more than the French version of his own first name? Also, I note that his birthdate is December 20th. If he's married, I can almost guarantee that his wife's birthday falls on the 23rd of the month; that would make it the very best Dad-on-the-internet username.

AL1
Critic
Nom de plume: Fetty Wap

Unread post by AL1 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:07 pm

AL1 wrote:...Also, I note that his birthdate is December 20th. If he's married, I can almost guarantee that his wife's birthday falls on the 23rd of the month; that would make it the very best Dad-on-the-internet username...
Just re-read his username. Whoops.

Benedict de Souza

Unread post by Benedict de Souza » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:23 am

An interesting fact regarding UB1Talence is that according to Crusio's autobiography, he lives in Talence, a suburb of Bordeaux. This is a real dad on the Internet username for sure. :D

Also, judging from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Co ... UB1Talence, the user appears to have been registered solely for the purpose of creating the autobiography. He waited for exactly four days and made exactly 11 edits before creating his autobiography (the user age and number of edits required (4 days and 10 edits) to go under the radar of all those autistic trolls ("patrollers") attacking any article created by new users regardless of their merits or how well they are written).

Just in the spirit of Qworty, Crusio is now (as usual) heckling another professor who wrote an autobiography with "conflict of interest" notices. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... f_interest

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:43 am

Benedict de Souza wrote:An interesting fact regarding UB1Talence is that according to Crusio's autobiography, he lives in Talence, a suburb of Bordeaux. This is a real dad on the Internet username for sure. :D

Also, judging from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Co ... UB1Talence, the user appears to have been registered solely for the purpose of creating the autobiography. He waited for exactly four days and made exactly 11 edits before creating his autobiography (the user age and number of edits required (4 days and 10 edits) to go under the radar of all those autistic trolls ("patrollers") attacking any article created by new users regardless of their merits or how well they are written).

Just in the spirit of Qworty, Crusio is now (as usual) heckling another professor who wrote an autobiography with "conflict of interest" notices. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... f_interest
:welcome:
to our new member, Benedict de Souza.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Benedict de Souza

Unread post by Benedict de Souza » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:03 am

EricBarbour wrote:UB1Talence was banned by Orangemike for "spamusername". Crusio's article was later edited by Crusio himself and some other extremely-questionable accounts, and has been carefully guarded for the last 2 years by a nut admin called Randykitty (T-C-L)......who likes to gnome articles about scientific journals, just as Crusio did. Are they protecting his bio because he wrote a ton of science content for WP? Or is Randykitty a Crusio sockpuppet?
Actually, his account was originally named simply "Crusio" (he even had his "dad on vacation" picture on the user page) . He then had it renamed Guillaume2303 (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Crusio ). He then abandoned the account and registered his new Randykitty account (which is named after his cat or something, he said). Per the duck test, it was evident to anyone who had ever encountered Crusio/Guillaume2303 that Randykitty was Crusio. There is only one single user who delights in this ridiculous journal gnoming, after all. He even went to continue old arguments, while pretending to be an entirely different user.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:32 am

Meanwhile, his CSD log has "deletionist from hell" written all over it. Given the great numbers of academic journals (legitimate or not), their tendency to be obscure, and the frequent lack of "reliable secondary references" for them, it's obvious he has all the "targets" he could possibly want.

I don't care what Somey can say about Crusio's relative "level of evilness". That article about his family ice-cream parlor is one of the most blatant pieces of COI I've run across in months -- and he's getting away with it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... on=history

So far as I can see, there was zero mention of this thread on any noticeboards or talkpages, other than Vej's comment and his snide response, which was soon archived.

Oh, and btw, he was the administrator who deleted Sam Klein's article.
And later moved it to the userspace of a sockpuppet we've seen before, "I am One of Many". For restoration, after the stink has dissipated?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Jacob_Klein
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:I_am_ ... acob_Klein

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:45 pm

I wonder what he has against the Adam and Gila Milstein Family Foundation. Adam Milstein (T-H-L) himself is clearly notable, and there is no difficulty finding references to the foundation in reliable sources.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:36 pm

Poetlister wrote:...Adam Milstein (T-H-L) ...
holy crap, now there's a character.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

jinkinson
Contributor
Wikipedia User: IntoThinAir

Unread post by jinkinson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:43 pm

http://web.archive.org/web/201209270504 ... llaume2303
Worth a look. Certainly looks a lot like Randykitty's userpage.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:20 pm

jinkinson wrote:http://web.archive.org/web/201209270504 ... llaume2303
Worth a look. Certainly looks a lot like Randykitty's userpage.
Well, then take him to AR and say something on Wikipedia.