Edward Snowden

For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
EricBarbour

kołdry

Edward Snowden

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:19 pm

is now one of the longest and most detailed biographies on all of Wikipedia: 238k bytes, 483 references.
Despite being only 10 months old.

An excellent example of Wikipedia's bias toward current events, things that net-nerds are interested in, libertarian and progressive hot buttons, whistleblower heroes, etc.

#1 contributor Petrarchan47 (T-C-L), with more than a thousand edits, ticks every box above. He grinds articles related to Deepwater Horizon, this nuclear plant, Monsanto, Buddhism, cannabis, and for some reason Decorah, Iowa. And net heroes. Not many WP editors have a prominent Aaron Swartz memorial on their userpages. He is obsessed with Decorah Bald Eagles (T-H-L). Also friendly with Wnt, Gandydancer and Binksternet.

The five longest biographies on Wikipedia (and therefore, the five people they think are "most important"):
George W. Bush (T-H-L)
Barack Obama (T-H-L)
Jeff Gordon (T-H-L)
Edward Snowden (T-H-L)
Pope John Paul II (T-H-L)

Fucking loony Wikipedians.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: Edward Snowden

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:48 pm

EricBarbour wrote: The five longest biographies on Wikipedia (and therefore, the five people they think are "most important"):
George W. Bush (T-H-L)
Barack Obama (T-H-L)
Jeff Gordon (T-H-L)
Edward Snowden (T-H-L)
Pope John Paul II (T-H-L)

Fucking loony Wikipedians.
It is a logical jump from "longest" to "they think most important."

The bios are the longest, yes, but the length has to do with availability of sourcing and number and commitment level of writers. Generalizing to say "thus Wikipedians as a group think..." is completely wrong.

RfB

P.S. My main man E.H. Carr sits around 204k, not far behind JPII's 234... It was as big as 227.7k. The really scary thing is that I've done almost zero on that one...

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:21 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:P.S. My main man E.H. Carr sits around 204k, not far behind JPII's 234... It was as big as 227.7k. The really scary thing is that I've done almost zero on that one...
WP:SOFIXIT :rolleyes:

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:30 pm

It's another example of the obvious US-centric bias. There are plenty of people with whole (out of copyright) books written about them, such as Queen Victoria or William Shakespeare. It wouldn't take vast effort to make their articles at least as long as those five.

The other consideration is that many details about a person might be floated off into separate articles; you'd need to aggregate all of them to get the true Wikipedia coverage.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:40 pm

EricBarbour wrote:is now one of the longest and most detailed biographies on all of Wikipedia: 238k bytes, 483 references.
Thanks, added to Wikipedia:Articles with the most references (T-H-L).
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:06 pm

On a very recent episode of UpFront on Al Jazeera, Snowden said...
“When you’ve got Donald Trump and John Kerry on one hand and people like [Wikipedia’s] Jimmy Wales who are improving the world on the other hand, I think it’s obvious which side that most people would rather be on.”
I guess I'm voting for Trump, then.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:05 pm

thekohser wrote:I guess I'm voting for Trump, then.
The rest of the world could see that as a Scary comment, Greg

iii
Habitué
Wikipedia User: ජපස
Wikipedia Review Member: iii

Unread post by iii » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:23 pm

thekohser wrote:On a very recent episode of UpFront on Al Jazeera, Snowden said...
“When you’ve got Donald Trump and John Kerry on one hand and people like [Wikipedia’s] Jimmy Wales who are improving the world on the other hand, I think it’s obvious which side that most people would rather be on.”
I imagine this is a (perhaps oblique?) reference to the Lawrence Lessig quixotic run for president. You could be safe simply not voting for the Lessig/Wales ticket.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:19 pm

iii wrote:
thekohser wrote:On a very recent episode of UpFront on Al Jazeera, Snowden said...
I imagine this is a (perhaps oblique?) reference to the Lawrence Lessig quixotic run for president. You could be safe simply not voting for the Lessig/Wales ticket.
Safety is relative.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:31 pm

thekohser wrote:
Because you prefer one crazed, money-grubbing, delusional narcissist over a second one? Why ever would that be? At least Jimbo Wales doesn't pretend to be a statesman, most of the time. And thank the Goddess that he's Britain's problem at the moment, and not ours.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:52 pm

greybeard wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Because you prefer one crazed, money-grubbing, delusional narcissist over a second one? Why ever would that be? At least Jimbo Wales doesn't pretend to be a statesman, most of the time. And thank the Goddess that he's Britain's problem at the moment, and not ours.
Trump is a vastly more successful money-grubber than Jimbo. I have no comment on their relative levels of morality.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:00 pm

Poetlister wrote:
greybeard wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Trump is a vastly more successful money-grubber than Jimbo. I have no comment on their relative levels of morality.
The Donald was born into wealth, The Jimbo wasn't. Otherwise the personalities seem mostly identical.
This is not a signature.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:11 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:The Donald was born into wealth, The Jimbo wasn't. Otherwise the personalities seem mostly identical.
They are, but for those who don't see this as readily apparent, the real differentiator is this question of where does the narcissistic supply come from? Simply put, Trump's supply comes from wealth and acquisition, while Jimbo's comes from public accolades. We might scoff at the accolades because we know the people giving them to him don't know the whole story, but from Jimbo's perspective that doesn't matter - it's very easy for someone like him who's receiving such accolades to convince himself that he's totally earned them and they're completely deserved. Perhaps paradoxically, it's harder for someone like Trump, because money isn't directly equivalent to praise and admiration. Trump is forced to build a much more elaborate ego façade around himself to make up for this; the "bluster" and other aspects of egotism (if not megalomania) that we see from him are part of that façade, as are the buildings, golf courses, beauty pageants, TV reality shows, etc., all with his name on them, all "fabulously popular" and loved by all, even when they're not.

Ultimately though, it amounts to the same thing. For most people, an ego façade is a very fragile construct, like a house of cards. Trump's and Jimbo's ego façades are like medieval citadels, with walls within walls, moats filled with alligators, and bowmen at the top ready to shoot arrows at anyone who comes close. Within those defenses they can indulge themselves all they want; Trump obviously indulges himself more, because he can afford it, and (again) his narcissistic supply is of a lower quality.

As for Mr. Snowden, I wouldn't call him a genius and I wouldn't say his prescription for making the world a better place comes anywhere near the let's-drop-everything-and-follow-this-guy's-program level. There are relatively few people he can point to as "heroic figures" who have substantial name-recognition - his hero-qualification checklist is very specific and technical, and it's possible Jimbo may be the only name he can think of who checks all the boxes. It's kind of sad in a way, but in any event, it was a smart move by Jimbo to place himself in that particular niche. Since almost nobody else has, it will probably result in... you guessed it, more accolades, earned merely by adopting a position, stating it publicly a few times, and being the most recognizable public figure to do so.

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:26 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:T... question of where does the narcissistic supply come from? Simply put, Trump's supply comes from wealth and acquisition, while Jimbo's comes from public accolades.
Not to quibble, but there appears to be more than adequate evidence of Jimbo's narcissism from the Bomis, Nupedia, and early Wikipedia days, prior to any substantial accolades. Cf his early bluster about having made "a fortune" in futures trading, a tale that now appears tall.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:36 am

greybeard wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Or... I'm making a joke.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

greybeard
Habitué

Unread post by greybeard » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:48 am

thekohser wrote:Or... I'm making a joke.
Well, it's Trump that's the joke, so joking about him is something like a double negative.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:19 am

greybeard wrote:
Well, it's Trump that's the joke, so joking about him is something like a double negative.
Most of the GOP candidates this cycle are bad jokes.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Vigilant wrote:
greybeard wrote:
The GOP candidates are a writhing mass of raw id. I'm sad about this, because it's nice to have real choices when I pull the lever.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:52 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
greybeard wrote:
The GOP candidates are a writhing mass of raw id. I'm sad about this, because it's nice to have real choices when I pull the lever.
If you really feel that "choices" means selecting between the lame Democratic candidate and an inevitably-more-lame Republican candidate, your political life is a sad one indeed...

RfB

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:12 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
greybeard wrote:
If you really feel that "choices" means selecting between the lame Democratic candidate and an inevitably-more-lame Republican candidate, your political life is a sad one indeed...

RfB
That's reading far more into what I said than what I meant. And you know that.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone