Wer900
Gregarious
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Re: Private Manning arbitration

Unread post by Wer900 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:04 am

Randy from Boise wrote:TL;DR Summary

Gerard skates.

Moral: "Administrative Tool Abuse in Defense of Official House Point Of View is Always Okay. Love, —Arbcom."

RfB

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: CONGRATULATIONS, YOU WON!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Your drama production and power plays have now been legitimized by the Arbitration, which rarely if ever shows itself to be above such things. Kudos to you for being celebrated by the group that comes from the same stock as you, David Gerard! Lowly community liaisons like Oliver Keyes must be sacrificed for the glory of TEH WIKIMEDIA FOUNDATION AND ITS LEADERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:16 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
TungstenCarbide wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Congratulations to ArbCom!!!

This idiotic case — which never should have been started — has just gone over 1,000,000 bytes of blather on the Workshop page alone...
does that mean it can't be edited with VE?
Can you imagine how badly Flow is gonna melt down the first time ArbCom pitches the tent for another circus?

RfB
In that, Flow might be a grand success that saves wikipedia.
If a talk page gets over about 500K, it cannot be edited in a reasonable amount of time using VE.

Flow might just end drama on en.wp.

So very, very clever.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:18 am

Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
TungstenCarbide wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Congratulations to ArbCom!!!

This idiotic case — which never should have been started — has just gone over 1,000,000 bytes of blather on the Workshop page alone...
does that mean it can't be edited with VE?
Can you imagine how badly Flow is gonna melt down the first time ArbCom pitches the tent for another circus?

RfB
In that, Flow might be a grand success that saves wikipedia.
If a talk page gets over about 500K, it cannot be edited in a reasonable amount of time using VE.

Flow might just end drama on en.wp.

So very, very clever.
No, really. I hope there are some good souls in San Francisco who will help to save us from the morass that was the Bradley Private Chelsea Bradley David Gerard Manning article case.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:23 am

Jesus, this is a damning statement

No, of course not; this accusation is just another diversion from your actions. But since you claim to know better than me what I thought, let me take a stab at it:
The "something fishy" is that it appears we had an administrator -- you -- with an agenda who misused one of Wikipedia's most powerful policies to perform a pair of admin actions that he couldn't otherwise justify for days, and only then with the help of another editor. Your Twitter comments show quite clearly that you weren't just a dispassionate observer who saw a BLP violation, but an activist who saw an opportunity. That some of the evidence is not allowed to be linked or that you present yourself as a mere defender of Wikipedia policies is irrelevant; your use of BLP as a smokescreen is discernible.
You have employed a number of strategies to obfuscate this impropriety, beginning with your eagerness to have the damning Twitter evidence excluded from consideration. You've claimed that you didn't think you needed to explain yourself to those asking for explanations because they were bigots, while repeatedly interjecting to say suggestions that you didn't explain yourself were "false" and "lies" and motivated by a simple disagreement with the explanation rather than an absence of one. You've compared some of your critics' remarks to a "common mode of argument on the troll sites", and then have the gall to suggest I be banned for a month, apparently for using words like "grating" and daring to insist you fulfill WP:ADMINACCT. You continue to distort every remark I make in order to serve your myth about me and to prop up spurious, dead-end findings of fact against me. And, of course, you continue to exploit the BLP policy to grant yourself immunity and hurl wild accusations at me.
Had your actions been as innocuous as you continue to claim they were, you could have done what any reasonable administrator would have done: not long after your move back, you could have said Oh, I guess I wasn't clear; I meant Bradley Manning was a BLP violation because X, Y, Z, and that would have been it. It would have been a simple misunderstanding. But you didn't, or couldn't, do that, and further concluded it was willful intent to defy you, rather than a misunderstanding.
And it's amazing that you still remain so resolute in that view. You are so sure that you did everything correctly and so sure that you're right. It doesn't matter that 150+ people chimed in to say they didn't feel the name Bradley Manning constituted a BLP violation. It doesn't matter that the closing administrators concluded the same. It doesn't matter that one of those closing administrators has stated that your BLP declaration, at the time you made it, was not credible. It doesn't matter that an arbitrator proposed a finding of fact that questions whether protections afforded to BLP actions were even in effect before your joint statement. No, no, no, David Gerard is still absolutely correct and the one whose understanding of BLP is "grossly faulty" is me. Yeah, if that's the way you are going to see things, you can continue to believe whatever fiction you want without further objection from me. -- tariqabjotu 19:44, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
I can't see how ARBCOM can let David keep the tools and they keep any self respect.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:26 am

How does Sue Gardner exchange gasses without external assistance?
DHeyward, I think you're misunderstanding the nature of the BLP violation here. Naming the article Bradley Manning is not a BLP violation because Chelsea Manning's gender identity is female and therefore calling her Bradley Manning misgenders her. Rather, naming the article Bradley Manning is a BLP violation because Chelsea Manning has *announced* that her gender identity is female, and has made a public request to be called Chelsea. That announcement and request did not happen in the Lamo chat logs or in her conversations with her doctor: it happened via her lawyer, and it was the impetus for changing the article title. If there was a Wikipedia BLP that described someone as male, and privately the person understood themselves to be female, the article would nonetheless be BLP-compliant, until and unless the person requested to be referred to as female. The issue is that misgendering someone *contrary to their explicit request* is offensive and presumptuous and hurtful to the person being misgendered, because it pretends that somebody else knows better than they do what their gender identity is or should be. All this is clearly laid out in the detailed rationale Kirill links to above. Sue Gardner (talk) 20:28, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
She's been the titular head of wikipedia for a good long while and she, literally, has no fucking idea what the policies say or how they are regularly implemented.

So very much like Jimmy Wales here.

Why is Bradley/Chelsea Manning so much more deserving of en.wp's compassion than all the other people whose BLPs have been shit on regularly?
Why are you going whole hog on this particular article?

Can you say "advocacy"? Sure, I knew you could.
Newyorkbrad, I do not think a finding that editors engaged in discriminatory speech is the same as calling those editors bigots: the latter describes a person and the former an action. Also, +1 to Chris Smowton's request for clarity about where opinion ends and hate speech begins. Also +1 to Elaqueate's request to consider harm. Part of the problem with this dispute has been that the potential for harm has been utterly discounted, in my view wrongly. Editors have argued that because they believe it is unlikely that Chelsea Manning would be harmed by the article title, or because they believe the harm (if it occurred) would be small, then therefore the issue of harm should be completely set aside --- and indeed that is what has happened. I disagree. I don't think that the Wikipedia article title by itself is likely to be seriously damaging to Chelsea Manning (although I also am not sure, and in the absence of certitude I'd bias towards caution), but I do believe, based on the chat logs and my understanding of gender identity disorder, that a pattern of being publicly misgendered including by Wikipedia could in fact be seriously damaging to her, and so I think dismissing the issue of harm is an error. (I'll note also that although it's tangential to this specific discussion, this is I believe the most compelling argument for naming the article Chelsea Manning. Given that there has been no consensus that policy requires use of Bradley Manning for the title, it seems to me that the obvious thing to do therefore is to take the article subject's wishes into account, precisely in order to avoid avoidable harm. Why not?) Sue Gardner (talk) 21:18, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
Why aren't you monitoring all the rest of the BLPs for "harm" you hypocritical shit?
Where's your outrage for what Qworty and LittleGreenRosetta did?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:40 am

From the proposed decision page
Major ARBCOM power grab
Authority of the Arbitration Committee

6) The arbitration policy authorizes the Committee to create procedures through which policy and guidelines may be enforced and by which community resolution of a content dispute can be facilitated.
It's nearly impossible to overstate how much power that gives ARBCOM.
They can, in the course of a case, change, rewrite, or implement from whole cloth any procedures(WP:policies) that any user with advanced permissions can use as they see fit.

Just...wow.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:51 am

Holy moly, Kirill's run right off the damn tracks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... d_decision

Everything with his name next to it is straight from Crazy Town.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:27 am

Our friend "Daniel32708" is being proposed for an indefinite topic-ban. Yes, some comments were below the accepted standard of decorum, but this is just being used as a pretext for the puppet ArbCom to justify David Gerard's self-interested, ostensibly-civil POV-pushing and self-promotion. I say desysop the brute, and reinstate his goddamned article.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:36 am

Oh good, the forum shopping is leaking like a faulty septic leach field into Jimbo's talk page.
ArbCom proposal to further delay the Bradley Manning/Chelsea Manning move discussion

Greetings Jimbo. As I recall, you would have preferred a shorter time before allowing a new discussion on the Bradley Manning/Chelsea Manning title dispute. Presently, ArbCom is considering a proposal to extend that time "until October 14 or the closing of this case, whichever occurs first". I think that this would be a bad idea, as the community has already used this thirty-day period to put together the most thorough move request I have yet seen prepared to launch at 03:50 (UTC) Sep 30, 2013. If you continue to prefer that this matter be resolved sooner rather than later, you may wish to relay your preference to ArbCom. Cheers! bd2412 T 01:09, 29 September 2013 (UTC)
This. Just. Can't. Wait. 16 days.

Here's a guy who needs an indef ban from "trans" issues, widely construed.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:48 am

Vigilant wrote:Oh good, the forum shopping is leaking like a faulty septic leach field into Jimbo's talk page.
ArbCom proposal to further delay the Bradley Manning/Chelsea Manning move discussion

Greetings Jimbo. As I recall, you would have preferred a shorter time before allowing a new discussion on the Bradley Manning/Chelsea Manning title dispute. Presently, ArbCom is considering a proposal to extend that time "until October 14 or the closing of this case, whichever occurs first". I think that this would be a bad idea, as the community has already used this thirty-day period to put together the most thorough move request I have yet seen prepared to launch at 03:50 (UTC) Sep 30, 2013. If you continue to prefer that this matter be resolved sooner rather than later, you may wish to relay your preference to ArbCom. Cheers! bd2412 T 01:09, 29 September 2013 (UTC)
This. Just. Can't. Wait. 16 days.

Here's a guy who needs an indef ban from "trans" issues, widely construed.
Good lord. One ArbCom case is equivalent to the totality of my content contributions, thrice over. And now it must become longer.

I'm not particularly well-versed in Wikipedia history, but someone should preserve and repose this case somewhere else. It looks like it's boiling over to the point of mass revision-deletion and maybe oversight. Furthermore, it's about David Gerard and his latest in a long string of power plays.

Tsar Nicholas, your days are numbered!

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:55 am

Vigilant wrote:Holy moly, Kirill's run right off the damn tracks.

You mean this?
The editors named in the findings below were not merely impolite or insensitive. They have called for transgender people to have their genitials torn off; they have compared them to dogs and pigs; they have denied their identities and their very existence. Their conduct amounts to a concerted victimization of a vulnerable, legally protected minority group, both as subjects of articles and as Wikipedians. Their actions were deliberate, utterly reprehensible, and deserving of condemnation in the strongest possible terms, not dismissal as mere improprieties. Kirill [talk] 00:06, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
Sorry, but I just don't see how this is any different from how Wikipedians have been behaving on a daily basis towards everyone, regardless of gender-identification, for the last 12 years.
Last edited by Midsize Jake on Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:56 am

Still, it's more poppycock from Wikipedia's ruling class.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:00 am

I wrote:Congratulations to ArbCom!!!

Let's review the names of the six International SuperGeniuses who voted to accept this case, for the record:

AGK (T-C-L)
Courcelles (T-C-L)
Kirill Lokshin (T-C-L)
NuclearWarfare (T-C-L)
Roger Davies (T-C-L)
Salvio giuliano (T-C-L)

Pat yourselves on the back, heroes!
I'm now counting down the days to the December elections... I'm definitely gonna do a Kiefer Wolfowitz Memorial Election Guide this time around...

The Arbs coming to an end of their term are:

AGK (T-C-L)
Courcelles (T-C-L)
Kirill Lokshin (T-C-L)
Roger Davies (T-C-L)

plus

Risker (T-C-L)
SilkTork (T-C-L)

¡Muy interesante!

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:44 am

Someone mailed and asked me to post these two diffs

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =573060075

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =574355103

It’s a case I haven’t followed and I have no idea of their significance.
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:25 pm

Peter Damian wrote:Someone mailed and asked me to post these two diffs
Here's a general tip that may be useful: when linking to a diff on an excessively large page, append &diffonly=1 to the URL to show only the change, not the whole page.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:53 am

Well, ARBCOM is well and truly fractured over this case.

Kirill has obviously gone around the bend with his advocacy on behalf of trans issues to the detriment of his responsibilities to ARBCOM.

It's obviously a farce now.

Alison
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Alison
Wikipedia Review Member: Alison
Actual Name: Alison Cassidy

Unread post by Alison » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:29 am

Tarc wrote:And we're off to the races!

Early gems include Kiril voting to topic ban Daniel32708 (T-C-L), whose entire WIkipedia history consists of a single comment in the Manning debate, while opposing a topic ban for Josh Gorand...
Well, in fairness, that's because he's this guy, having been renamed.
-- Allie

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:49 am

Things like this are why this case decision is currently shaping up to be unintentionally, cringingly humorous.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:13 am

Pro-Chelsea group: "Her name is Chelsea!"

Pro-Bradley group: "His name is Bradley!"

ArbCom: "We do not deal with content disputes."

Pro-Chelsea group: "Her name is Chelsea, you trans-phobic yahoos!"

Pro-Bradley group: "His name is Bradley, you degenerates!"

ArbCom: "You all are banned for incivility and personal attacks."

Isn't the above how it should have gone?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:59 pm

Cla68 wrote:Things like this are why this case decision is currently shaping up to be unintentionally, cringingly humorous.
Gorand can skate free on a technicality, since despite the clear consensus to do so no admin actually stepped forward and closed his ANI discussion. Bugs' closed as "no consensus", and NCs can be revisited at any time. So in Arbcom Universe, this is perfectly normal.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:TL;DR Summary

Gerard skates.

Moral: "Administrative Tool Abuse in Defense of Official House Point Of View is Always Okay. Love, —Arbcom."

RfB
The Prime Directive.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:46 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Holy moly, Kirill's run right off the damn tracks.

You mean this?
The editors named in the findings below were not merely impolite or insensitive. They have called for transgender people to have their genitials torn off; they have compared them to dogs and pigs; they have denied their identities and their very existence. Their conduct amounts to a concerted victimization of a vulnerable, legally protected minority group, both as subjects of articles and as Wikipedians. Their actions were deliberate, utterly reprehensible, and deserving of condemnation in the strongest possible terms, not dismissal as mere improprieties. Kirill [talk] 00:06, 28 September 2013 (UTC)
Sorry, but I just don't see how this is any different from how Wikipedians have been behaving on a daily basis towards everyone, regardless of gender-identification, for the last 12 years.
At first I thought that this thread ought to have been named "Saving Private Manning." Now, I'm thinking "Saving Manning's Privates."

I found Manning to be a much more interesting and compelling person when (s)he was exposing war crimes that had been covered up.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Hersch wrote:I found Manning to be a much more interesting and compelling person when (s)he was exposing war crimes that had been covered up.
Despite Manning's recent sentencing, vitally important issues concerning how we combat terrorism and the appropriate rules of engagement in wartime are still very much out there. There are also issues of just who should be allowed access to sensitive military and diplomatic intelligence. Regardless of what you think of what Manning did, there remain many compelling and disturbing questions here. Leave it to the Frei Kultur Kinder to come up with a ridiculous sideshow to all of this that only gets more inane and insane as it goes along.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Cedric wrote:
Hersch wrote:I found Manning to be a much more interesting and compelling person when (s)he was exposing war crimes that had been covered up.
Despite Manning's recent sentencing, vitally important issues concerning how we combat terrorism and the appropriate rules of engagement in wartime are still very much out there. There are also issues of just who should be allowed access to sensitive military and diplomatic intelligence. Regardless of what you think of what Manning did, there remain many compelling and disturbing questions here. Leave it to the Frei Kultur Kinder to come up with a ridiculous sideshow to all of this that only gets more inane and insane as it goes along.
Yes, the US Army should be really embarrassed about this, as the whole thing was preventable. Manning made it clear soon after showing up for his Army contract that he had some issues. He got into a fist fight with his female noncommissioned officer supervisor. He sent a photo of himself in the wig to his Army leadership. And yet, they kept him in his job in Iraq with his security clearance. Manning was, in his own way, trying to tell them that he had something serious going on in his head, yet his Army superiors appear to have effectively buried their heads in the sand and hoped that it would correct itself. The result is the leak of a massive trove of classified documents. Activists like Assange and David Gerard will use someone like Manning without second thought, because their ends justify the means.

Some Army officers should be getting fired. They let their organization, and Manning, down. I doubt, however, that anything has happened to them.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:40 pm

Cla68 wrote:Things like this are why this case decision is currently shaping up to be unintentionally, cringingly humorous.
Looks like you don't have to worry so much anymore since Joshy boy just shot himself in the foot, prompting Brad to re-evaluate his opposition to a topic ban.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:21 am

Cla68 wrote:Some Army officers should be getting fired. They let their organization, and Manning, down. I doubt, however, that anything has happened to them.
Heh heh. You don't know how the military actually works, do you? Have a sample:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/us/hi ... reach.html

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 am

EricBarbour wrote:
Cla68 wrote:Some Army officers should be getting fired. They let their organization, and Manning, down. I doubt, however, that anything has happened to them.
Heh heh. You don't know how the military actually works, do you? Have a sample:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/01/us/hi ... reach.html
That's the Marines, not the Army. The USMC takes pride (usually) in holding its officers to a high standard. The US Army is not necessarily known for the being the same way.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:16 am

Cedric wrote:Frei Kultur Kinder
That is such a crap little piece of doggerel. I wish you and anyone else who uses it would stop doing so; it makes this forum look stupid.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:45 am

Hex wrote:
That is such a crap little piece of doggerel. I wish you and anyone else who uses it would stop doing so; it makes this forum look stupid.
Free culture movement (T-H-L)

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freie_Kultur

(Maybe related?
Freikörperkultur (T-H-L))
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:09 pm

Hex wrote:
I would have given it untik at least the late afternoon until a wikipediot came along to prove Cedric's point, but hey, maybe I just give you lot too much credit.
-----------
Notvelty

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Cla68 wrote:That's the Marines, not the Army. The USMC takes pride (usually) in holding its officers to a high standard. The US Army is not necessarily known for the being the same way.
What an outrageous thing to say. There's cross-service rivalry joking and snickering within the ranks, fair enough, but any decent serviceperson knows not to make broadbrush swipes at another branch for record and on the Internet. If you are associated with the Marine Corps in some way, Cla68, you are not doing it any favors.

Manning may be the Army's problem. But whether classified disclosal or grossly offensive crime of whatever nature, the next one could come from any branch. And that is how it's always been.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:57 pm

Even the mistress has emerged from the shadows to vote, though some are calling her comment out-of-bounds. There's also fronts opening at User talk:Fluffernutter (T-H-L) and User talk:Sue Gardner (T-H-L)
:popcorn:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:05 pm

Tarc wrote:Even the mistress has emerged from the shadows to vote, though some are calling her comment out-of-bounds. There's also fronts opening at User talk:Fluffernutter (T-H-L) and User talk:Sue Gardner (T-H-L)
Josh Gorand needs to go find a new hobby.

He's Ottava Rima in drag.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:11 pm

The strong feeling on the Chelsea side make me want to laugh.
* Strongly Oppose - Bradley Manning is a guy. That information is reliable and verifiable. He is NOT Chelsea, not legally, not biologically, not even reliably. Yes I know, he says he wants to change his gender, but he hasn't done so yet nor is he notable under the name Chelsea assuming he DOES decide to do this anyway . So, no way should we move this over to Chelsea Manning. He's not notable under that name,so moving to Chelsea Manning would also violate (for a number of reasons, WP:CRYSTAL, (hasn't happened yet, it's not a notable event, he's not notable under that name ). He IS notable under Bradley Manning. He hasn't changed his gender, nor his name legally either.
Leave it at Bradley Manning. KoshVorlon. We are all Kosh 11:18, 1 October 2013 (UTC)

I don't want to put words into your mouth but could you clarify why you beleive genetics and not gender are important here? CombatWombat42 (talk) 15:31, 1 October 2013 (UTC)
If Manning wants to be black, can he just say so and you guys will change his article to include appropriate text and African-American infoboxes?
Will every other identifying item about someone with a BLP on wikipedia be subject to the same pressure from the subject's desires?

You guys are creating a special class of BLP (trans) on en.wp. You should be aware of this.

edit: What makes this even more sickening is that most of the people pushing the Chelsea article title don't give a wet shit about Manning, his plight, his actions (which I applaud), his politics, jail sentence or the effects this case has had on American political discourse and jurisprudence. They only care about the transsexual stuff. Manning is simply a vehicle for the them to get their political views enshrined as the default on en.wp.

On the plus side, we have another example of Sue Gardner being an utter incompetent and 85. So we have that going for us. Which is nice.
Last edited by Vigilant on Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Hex wrote:
To be frank, it's an indirect reference to the fact that a number of social ideologies that originated in Germany and elsewhere in Northern Europe have presented themselves as egalitarian, if not "communal," and have since proven to be anything of the sort. To some extent it plays into Centrist fears and sensibilities in the United States and other English-speaking countries regarding the incursion of fascist, communist, socialist, and anarcho-libertarian elements (again, mostly from Northern Europe) into mainstream politics. Whether it works or not in doing so is anyone's guess...

Trust me, there are all sorts of things we've seen on this forum (and on WR before it) that might make the forum(s) look a helluva lot stupider than the term "Frei Kultur Kinder." You can't really police that stuff so it's best not to try, but the important thing to remember is that every post has an individual author, clearly displayed in a box on the left, indicating that it's the thoughts and opinions of one person. Wikipedia doesn't have that; if it did, there's a good chance this site wouldn't even exist.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:10 pm

A past arbitration case that has nothing to do with Manning is now being used to silence dissenters. Yeah, freedom!

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 pm

It's perhaps worth pointing out that the correct spelling of the term (which, incidentally, is not used by German speakers) would be "Freie-Kultur-Kinder".

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:52 pm

HRIP7 wrote:It's perhaps worth pointing out that the correct spelling of the term (which, incidentally, is not used by German speakers) would be "Freie-Kultur-Kinder".
Wouldn't it be "Freie-Kulturkinder"?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:54 pm

DanMurphy wrote:A past arbitration case that has nothing to do with Manning is now being used to silence dissenters. Yeah, freedom!
Yea, but as I pointed out the last time Kosh's name came up around here, he's a middling wiki-gnome prone to hysteric-laden tirades if he thinks the absolute letter of a wiki-policy is being violated. It's hard to muster up much sympathy when those types get railroaded.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Tarc wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:A past arbitration case that has nothing to do with Manning is now being used to silence dissenters. Yeah, freedom!
Yea, but as I pointed out the last time Kosh's name came up around here, he's a middling wiki-gnome prone to hysteric-laden tirades if he thinks the absolute letter of a wiki-policy is being violated. It's hard to muster up much sympathy when those types get railroaded.
Oh, I have no doubt that most of the people involved on all sides are quite insane. I just enjoy pointing out the ad hoc way the house POV of the day gets rammed in some times.

There is no real-world import in the resolution of this Victor/Victoria caper at all.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:04 pm

Outsider wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:It's perhaps worth pointing out that the correct spelling of the term (which, incidentally, is not used by German speakers) would be "Freie-Kultur-Kinder".
Wouldn't it be "Freie-Kulturkinder"?
No. "Freie Kulturkinder" (without the hyphen) would mean "free children of culture". For "Freie-Kulturkinder" (with hyphen) to be plausible, "Freie" would have to be a noun rather than an adjective modifying "Kultur".

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:05 pm

Tarc wrote:
I have no sympathy for him. You should see the list of complaints about his abusive attacks on people. Poor excuse for a "Christian".
(You should see his Google Plus. Horrible.)

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:50 pm

Triptych wrote:
Cla68 wrote:That's the Marines, not the Army. The USMC takes pride (usually) in holding its officers to a high standard. The US Army is not necessarily known for the being the same way.
What an outrageous thing to say. There's cross-service rivalry joking and snickering within the ranks, fair enough, but any decent serviceperson knows not to make broadbrush swipes at another branch for record and on the Internet. If you are associated with the Marine Corps in some way, Cla68, you are not doing it any favors.

Manning may be the Army's problem. But whether classified disclosal or grossly offensive crime of whatever nature, the next one could come from any branch. And that is how it's always been.
I went through US Army basic training in 1987 and have done a lot of reading on US military scandals as it is an interest of mine. Anyway, isn't Fluffernutter's husband on the ArbCom?

everyking
Critic
Wikipedia User: Everyking
Wikipedia Review Member: Everyking

Unread post by everyking » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:13 am

I think it's noteworthy that some of the participants in the case are very experienced "power users" who have a long and sorry history of sophistry and trolling. The ArbCom ought to know who they are, and they ought to have sense enough not to let them get away with it again. It looks like they are going to throw the book at some well-intentioned people who just slipped up, and they're going to let the real troublemakers off the hook. I hope not.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:24 am

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm

Oh dear, it's a bad day for the bad guys on en.wp.

Josh_Gorand (T-C-L), perennial troublemaker at the Manning article and arbitration has been indef topic banned through the use of Discovered_check (T-H-L) with NuclearWarfare's meltdown.
11 Josh Gorand topic-banned 6 2 0 PASSING ·
Nice knowing you, Josh.
Next time try not to throw around big words (transphobic) that you really don't understand.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Vigilant wrote:Oh dear, it's a bad day for the bad guys on en.wp.

Josh_Gorand (T-C-L), perennial troublemaker at the Manning article and arbitration has been indef topic banned through the use of Discovered_check (T-H-L) with NuclearWarfare's meltdown.
Nice knowing you, Josh.
Next time try not to throw around big words (transphobic) that you really don't understand.
It takes 7 to pass, I remind you. I'll believe they'll do anything against a partisan of Official House POV when I see the 7th vote...

And this is just for a very limited topic ban, which is a small dent in the fender, easily fixed in 6 months with an "I'm sorrrrrrrr-rrrreeeeee...."

RfB

Addenda: Whoops, it's 6 votes to pass. I'll be darned...
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:01 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Vigilant wrote:Oh dear, it's a bad day for the bad guys on en.wp.

Nice knowing you, Josh.
It takes 7 to pass, I remind you. I'll believe they'll do anything against a partisan of Official House POV when I see the 7th vote...

And this is just for a very limited topic ban, which is a small dent in the fender, easily fixed in 6 months with an "I'm sorrrrrrrr-rrrreeeeee...."

RfB

Addenda: Whoops, it's 6 votes to pass. I'll be darned...
So foolish to doubt the Swami Vigilant.
Edit: That was weird
Last edited by Vigilant on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Okay, so let's review...

After a month and something in the order of 1.5 million bytes of often bitter testimony, debate, and proposed remedies — to resolve a content dispute which was clearly outside the purview of ArbCom from day one — we end up with this result:

A. Two extremely minor Wikipedians (one with fewer than 100 total edits) are banned from editing or discussing Transexuality broadly defined for their dumb statements.

B. .......As is one conservative drama queen and one disruptive POV warrior interested in "German and English politics and LGBT issues."

Well, that was certainly a productive use of the committee's and the community's time...

The one actual thing that ArbCom could have and should have done — whacking administrator David Gerard for wheel-warring and tool abuse, which inflamed the situation in the first place — barely even gets mentioned.

RfB

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:52 pm

Randy from Boise wrote: The one actual thing that ArbCom could have and should have done — whacking administrator David Gerard for wheel-warring and tool abuse, which inflamed the situation in the first place — barely even gets mentioned.

Perhaps they don't want the Foundation's lawyers threatening to sue them again.

They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined