Private Manning arbitration

For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
Tarc
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Re: Private Manning arbitration

Unread post by Tarc » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:53 pm

The Devil's Advocate wrote:...and "Either Wikipedia allows transphobic bigotry or it doesn't. I hope it doesn't. So far as I can tell, you and several others hope it does."
Well, it kinda does allow it.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Ming
the Merciless

Unread post by Ming » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:42 am

Sandifer's rant is pretty much an object example of how Wikipedia is co-opted in these social engineering battles. Ming will start with the absolutely indefensible paranoia about Cla68's malign DoD influence. Really, this pretty much the same as worrying about JFK taking orders from the pope. The number of DoD civilians who have anything much to do with Manning's captivity is vanishingly small. Then we have "the institution currently imprisoning Chelsea Manning and denying her medically necessary treatment for gender dysphoria", as though English major is doing anything but parroting someone or the others' cant. Ming really doesn't see how anyone who isn't actually (a) visiting Manning in prison, and (b) has some genuine psychiatric expertise has any credible authority going on about "gender dysphoria", but then, self-righteous indignation is probably the point anyway.

Obviously, as Sandifer says, this is all about using Wikipedia to impose a moral principle. Ming doesn't have to deal with this nonsense, and Ming will go on referring to The Soldier Formerly Known As Bradley in whatever way is clearest behind closed doors.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:02 am

DanMurphy wrote:On the other hand, Sandifer sounds like a paranoid little lefty git.
Phil is one of Wikipedia's worst people, in all its history.
The premium Wikipedian, complete with an obsession with Doctor Who.
PM me and I'll be happy to tell you more.

Do you realize that the Manning workshop page is now one of the longest arbitration pages in history? 1.1 megabytes.
I haven't checked but it might hold the all-time record. What an asinine case.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:28 am

EricBarbour wrote:
DanMurphy wrote:On the other hand, Sandifer sounds like a paranoid little lefty git.
Phil is one of Wikipedia's worst people, in all its history.
The premium Wikipedian, complete with an obsession with Doctor Who.
PM me and I'll be happy to tell you more.

Do you realize that the Manning workshop page is now one of the longest arbitration pages in history? 1.1 megabytes.
Remember, that's only one of 6 pages associated with the case. The total tops 1.5 million bytes (1 byte = 1 character of text).

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:03 am

Sandifer is the archetypical wikipedia twat.

He'll be back. He has nothing else.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:46 pm

For those who believe that the Real World takes no notice of Wikipedia's drama boards:

Chelsea Manning name row: Wikipedia editors banned from trans pages
The most senior group of editors on the online encyclopaedia has been criticised for censuring both transphobic volunteers and those making accusations of transphobia.
The Guardian, 24 October 2013: link
The Guardian wrote: A long-running argument over whether the Wikileaks source should be called ‘Bradley’ or ‘Chelsea’ Manning in Wikipedia has caused a split amongst some of its most senior editors.

The Arbitration Committee - in effect the site’s Supreme Court - has banned a number of editors from working on articles related to transgender topics or individuals. But while some of those editors were banned for making transphobic comments about Manning, others were given the same punishment for pointing out the bigotry in the first place.

As a result, the site been criticised by Trans Media Watch for implying that accusations of transphobia are as bad as actual incidents of transphobia.

The Committee’s statements were sparked by an heated argument between editors on the site over whether the article for Chelsea Manning, the Wikileaks source, should exist under her preferred name or under “Bradley Manning”, the name she was using before she came out as transgender in August 2013.

The Arbitration Committee, a group of senior editors elected by and from Wikipedia’s pool of volunteers which acts as the community’s court of last resort, was called in to make the final decision on which name should be at the top of Manning’s page. It also ruled on the behaviour of several editors who had taken part in the debate.

Two were indefinitely banned from editing “all pages relating to any transgender topic or individual” over discriminatory speech. One, Hitmonchan, had written that “only when his testicles are ripped out of his scrotum... will I call Manning a 'she'”, and the second, IFreedom1212, wrote, among other comments, that “he is clearly mentally unstable and his... desire to be called Chelsea should not be regarded with any merit".

But other editors were also banned from editing trans-related articles for making accusations of transphobia. One of the banned editors, Josh Gorand, argued that Wikipedia’s requirement for consensus isn’t the only one on the site, and that the rules governing biographies of living persons, one of which is to use their preferred name, should also be taken into account. “Especially not a ‘consensus’ of virulently transphobic people who completely ignore Wikipedia policy. We don't move articles because some people hate transgendered people, it's that simple.”

That statement was one of four cited by the Committee to demonstrate that Gorand was exhibiting a “battleground approach to the discussion” and justify banning Gorand indefinitely from editing articles about any transgender topic or individual.

“We feel that Wikipedia's banning of certain editors for calling people transphobic reflects a wider cultural problem whereby identifying someone is prejudiced is seen as worse than being prejudiced,” said Trans Media Watch in response to the bans. “If the Arbitration Committee thinks that 'transphobe' is a slur, it might want to reflect on why that is.”
We feel that Wikipedia's banning of certain editors for calling people transphobic reflects a wider cultural problem whereby identifying someone is prejudiced is seen as worse than being prejudiced,” said Trans Media Watch in response to the bans. “If the Arbitration Committee thinks that 'transphobe' is a slur, it might want to reflect on why that is.”

“We would like to see Wikipedia demonstrate more self awareness in its approach to social issues and more consistency in its treatment of cases like this. There are hundreds of pages on Wikipedia about notable people known by names other than their first names, yet we don't see this kind of fuss made in relation to those about, say, George Osborne or Jodie Foster, or even other trans people like Chaz Bono, who was also well known to the public under a different name.”

Following Manning’s announcement, a heated argument broke out on the talk page of her article, where editors discuss potential changes. Wikipedia’s administrators, who are all elected from the general pool of editors on the site, decided that there wasn’t enough consensus for the page to be moved, and locked it under the name “Bradley Manning”, pending a decision from the Arbitration Committee.

But the editor who made initially moved the page to Chelsea Manning, Morwen, argues that Wikipedia needs editors to make quick unilateral changes if it is to effectively cover living people. “The ruling has weakened our Biographies of Living People policy,” she says. “It will make editors more reluctant to take definitive action to remove libel, for example. This can't be a good thing.”

"Personally, I don't think I'm going to be editing about trans stuff in the future.”

Author and Wikipedia editor Philip Sandifer, who was also involved in the argument, criticised the site’s rules for being “a techno-libertarian fantasy”.

“The arbitration committee… looked at both sides of this debate and made the unequivocal decision that, in a debate between people trying to think seriously about the ethical considerations involved in being one of the largest websites in the world and a bunch of techno-libertarians playing WikiRules, the real problem was all the uppity trans activists,” Sandifer argued in an angry blog post.

Wikipedia has long been criticised for having an overwhelmingly homogeneous group of editors. In 2011, co-founder Jimmy Wales described the typical Wikipedia editor as a 26-year-old geeky male with a PhD; the site’s own research found that 90% of editors are male. A survey from 2011 found that fewer than 1% of editors self-identified as trans. The survey did not, however, offer editors the abilty to describe themselves as “trans” and “male” or “female” at the same time, which may have skewed the results.
Does Jimmy Wales really think that the typical Wikipedia editor is a PhD? Really?

Trans_Media_Watch (T-H-L)
Last edited by Zoloft on Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Fixed link to Guardian article ...later fixed quote blob
former Living Person

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
EricBarbour wrote: Do you realize that the Manning workshop page is now one of the longest arbitration pages in history? 1.1 megabytes.
Remember, that's only one of 6 pages associated with the case. The total tops 1.5 million bytes (1 byte = 1 character of text).
Chickenfeed.

Main page: 110 KB
...talk: 403 KB
Evidence: 248 KB
...talk: 108 KB
Workshop: 891 KB
...talk: 250 KB
Proposed decision: 425 KB
...talk: 35 KB

Total: 2.41 MB

I never, ever, ever want to experience anything like that again.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

everyking
Critic
Wikipedia User: Everyking
Wikipedia Review Member: Everyking

Unread post by everyking » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:05 pm

How does the ArbCom normally deal with people who post other people's personal information?

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:54 pm

everyking wrote:How does the ArbCom normally deal with people who post other people's personal information?
:noooo: :angryfire: :finger: :slapfight:
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:04 pm

everyking wrote:How does the ArbCom normally deal with people who post other people's personal information?
One of the most disgraceful things about Wikipedia is that its administration is hysterical about the personal information of its creepy anonymous editors, but doesn't give a damn about the personal information of its subjects.

Here is Arbcom's bovine excrement ruling on BLPs: Wikipedia:Requests_for_arbitration/Footnoted_quotes/Proposed_decision#Special_enforcement_on_biographies_of_living_persons (T-H-L)
1) Administrators are authorized to use any and all means at their disposal to ensure that every Wikipedia article is in full compliance with the letter and spirit of the biographies of living persons policy. Administrators may use the page protection and deletion tools as they believe to be reasonably necessary to effect compliance.

Administrators should counsel editors that fail to comply with BLP policy on specific steps that they can take to improve their editing in the area, and should ensure that such editors are warned of the consequences of failing to comply with this policy. Where editors fail to comply with BLP policy after being counseled and warned, administrators may impose sanctions on them, including restrictions on reverts or other specified behaviors, bans from editing any BLP or BLP-related page or set of pages, blocks of up to one year in length, or any other measures which may be considered necessary.

This does not preclude the use of emergency measures where necessary, and all administrators are explicitly authorized to take such measures at their own discretion.
In fact, Wikipedia's administration cares nothing for the basic human Right_to_privacy (T-H-L). I was personally involved in a BLP dispute in which several Wikipedia administrators demanded the right to broadcast the full names and dates of birth of two American children, on the grounds that one of their ancestors was "a medieval war criminal".
former Living Person

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Hex wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
EricBarbour wrote: Do you realize that the Manning workshop page is now one of the longest arbitration pages in history? 1.1 megabytes.
Chickenfeed.

Main page: 110 KB
...talk: 403 KB
Evidence: 248 KB
...talk: 108 KB
Workshop: 891 KB
...talk: 250 KB
Proposed decision: 425 KB
...talk: 35 KB

Total: 2.41 MB

I never, ever, ever want to experience anything like that again.
Boy, am I ever bad at math.

RfB

(I forgot the Proposed Decision pages and counted the other six a little bit before the actual end...)
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:44 pm

I tried to fix the link to the Guardian article in Mancunium's post, but I think I made a hash of it.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Cla68 wrote:I tried to fix the link to the Guardian article in Mancunium's post, but I think I made a hash of it.
Thanks for trying, Cla. Sorry if I bungled it.

former Living Person

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:08 am

Mancunium wrote:
Cla68 wrote:I tried to fix the link to the Guardian article in Mancunium's post, but I think I made a hash of it.

Fixed in original post now.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:57 am

Mancunium wrote:Does Jimmy Wales really think that the typical Wikipedia editor is a PhD? Really?
Let alone 26 years old with a PhD. Unless it's a degree from a crackerjack box, you probably wouldn't get a doctorate at 26 if you wasted any time playing around on WP.
This is not a signature.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:45 am

Zoloft wrote:
Mancunium wrote:

Fixed in original post now.
I just noticed that my whole post on The Guardian story was bungled. The outer
should have been removed; the story is in the inner
. Perhaps an admin would be kind enough to fix it. My only excuse is that my work is often interrupted, as it was several times today, making me hit 'submit' before I've properly reviewed a post.

The Guardian article has links to the various WP pages mentioned, and is an excellent overview of the Bradley BLP story.
former Living Person

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:35 am

It's quite the find, and I performed a delicate quote-blob-ectomy on your original post.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:23 am

Mancunium wrote:One of the most disgraceful things about Wikipedia is that its administration is hysterical about the personal information of its creepy anonymous editors, but doesn't give a damn about the personal information of its subjects
:applause:

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:54 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Mancunium wrote:Does Jimmy Wales really think that the typical Wikipedia editor is a PhD? Really?
Let alone 26 years old with a PhD. Unless it's a degree from a crackerjack box, you probably wouldn't get a doctorate at 26 if you wasted any time playing around on WP.
Well, Essjay (T-C-L) did.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:49 pm

The Joy wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Well, Essjay (T-C-L) did.
Point proved - that was indeed a degree from a crackerjack box, as Jimmy well knew and had no problem with.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:43 am

Since several of the activists involved in the Manning arbitration appear to be curious about who I am in real life, here's a picture of me playing for the US military football team:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:46 am

Just kidding, here's an actual photo of me from last week competing in a sprint triathlon at Yokota Air Base. I'm the person in the black swim cap. Before anyone says anything, I know my freestyle stroke is atrocious. Beside the two of us in the photo, the other eight people in that heat had already finished their laps and exited the pool.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:17 am

Anyone wanna see some fresh-baked cookies? They relate to this thread, strangely enough.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:38 am

EricBarbour wrote:Anyone wanna see some fresh-baked cookies? They relate to this thread, strangely enough.
Do these cookies believe they are actually muffins and demand to be treated as such?

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:21 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Anyone wanna see some fresh-baked cookies? They relate to this thread, strangely enough.
Do these cookies believe they are actually muffins and demand to be treated as such?
If you don't, you are engaging in hatespeak. I think I'm going to start telling every editor in WP who disagrees with me that they are engaging in hatespeak. It appears that this is the best course of action to persuade people to accept your position on any particular topic.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Cla68 wrote:
If you don't, you are engaging in hatespeak. I think I'm going to start telling every editor in WP who disagrees with me that they are engaging in hatespeak. It appears that this is the best course of action to persuade people to accept your position on any particular topic.
Feel free to carry on, ArbCom has your back...

RfB

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:43 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Cla68 wrote:

RfB
Bakeryphobe!!
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:49 am

Yeah! What have you got against cookies?? Have one:
cookies.png

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:12 am

They look to me like biscuits, not cookies. Or is that the point you're making?

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:06 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
cookies.png
:lol:
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

everyking
Critic

Unread post by everyking » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:15 am

It's pretty interesting. Cla68 was accused of "outing"--falsely, it seems--and was blocked for a good long while. Remember? But then somebody actually does that to Cla68--actually, deliberately posts his personal information--and nothing is done about it. If this is something the ArbCom takes so seriously, why doesn't it enforce the policy consistently?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:23 pm

everyking wrote:It's pretty interesting. Cla68 was accused of "outing"--falsely, it seems--and was blocked for a good long while. Remember? But then somebody actually does that to Cla68--actually, deliberately posts his personal information--and nothing is done about it. If this is something the ArbCom takes so seriously, why doesn't it enforce the policy consistently?
Everyking, you've been around long enough to know the answer to that one! You also know that blocks are supposed to be preventive, not punitive. Was the assumption that Cla68 was about to out others? If not, how was it preventive?

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:23 pm

In French, every noun is either male or female. As there are no gender-neutral pronouns, one may refer to any person as "une personne", and thereafter refer to her or him as "elle" (she) and use other feminine pronouns.

Chelsea Manning : cinq utilisateurs de Wikipedia bannis pour transphobie
Les Inrocks, 28 October 2013 link
translation:

Chelsea Manning: five Wikipedia users banned for transphobia

Manning has requested to be known as a woman, and to be named Chelsea. Her request was discussed at length within the Wikipedia community of editors. Some refused to change her personal page on the site. But the Wikipedia Arbitration Committee finally decided that the names of people - just like people themselves - can change, and it validated the "Chelsea Manning" page in its English-language version. It also decided to ban five editors from "all pages related to transgender issues", for transphobic comments posted on the site.

An example of transphobic message from one editor: "He is clearly mentally unstable, and his latest comments and his desire to be called Chelsea should not be taken into consideration before his words are supported by concrete actions."

Note that the French Wikipedia page still uses the pronoun "he" and still refers to "Bradley Manning" in its title.
Bradley Manning: link
Bradley Edward Manning (ou Chelsea Elizabeth Manning, selon son souhait1) est un analyste militaire de l'armée des États-Unis de nationalité américano-britannique2, né le 17 décembre 1987 à Crescent, Oklahoma (États-Unis). Après avoir transmis à WikiLeaks différents documents militaires classifiés, il a été condamné le 21 août 2013 à trente-cinq ans de prison.

[...]

Le 22 août 2013, Manning demande publiquement qu'on l'appelle Chelsea Manning13,14 et compte demander un changement d'identité conformément à son genre1. Néanmoins, la plupart des médias continuent d'utiliser le prénom Bradley, utilisé depuis le début de l'affaire15. Manning dit s'attendre à ce que l'évocation des évènements ayant eu lieu avant son annonce puisse se faire encore avec le nom de Bradley1.
translation:

Bradley Edward Manning (or Chelsea Elizabeth Manning as he prefers to be known) ...

On 22 August 2013 Manning publicly requested be known as Chelsea Manning, and he intends to have his identity changed to conform with his gender. However, most of the media continue to use the name Bradley, which has been used since the beginning of the affair. Manning has said that he expects that any mention of his history, prior to his announcement, can still be made using the name Bradley.
It would be too depressing to check out what the other-language Wikipedias have to say.
Last edited by Mancunium on Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
former Living Person

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:52 pm

Mancunium wrote:
But the Wikipedia Arbitration Committee finally decided that the names of people - just like people themselves - can change, and it validated the "Chelsea Manning" page in its English-language version.
Of course, ArbCom did no such thing... and the "community" wouldn't let them decide such things anyway.
Mancunium wrote:It would be too depressing to check out what the other-language Wikipedias have to say.
Wikidata gives a handy summary of which Wikipedias use the old and new names for Manning. Judging from the ones using Latin alphabets, it seems to be running about half and half.

Alison
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Alison
Wikipedia Review Member: Alison
Actual Name: Alison Cassidy

Unread post by Alison » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:51 pm

Mason wrote:Wikidata gives a handy summary of which Wikipedias use the old and new names for Manning. Judging from the ones using Latin alphabets, it seems to be running about half and half.
Interesting that both the Farsi and Hebrew Wikipedias use "Chelsea Manning" (Google Translate FTW)
-- Allie

everyking
Critic

Unread post by everyking » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:51 pm

Poetlister wrote:
everyking wrote:Everyking, you've been around long enough to know the answer to that one!
I wonder what you have to do to get one of these special "get out of jail free" cards.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:02 am

everyking wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
everyking wrote:Everyking, you've been around long enough to know the answer to that one!
I wonder what you have to do to get one of these special "get out of jail free" cards.
Have lots of wiki-friends/wiki-conspirators on your side? Either that or have so much social and political capital you can do whatever the heck you want? I'd go with both for safe measure.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:43 am

Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Cla68 wrote:

RfB
Bakeryphobe!!
Fnarr fnarr!
a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad en la tierra

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:35 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
UPDATE 10/23: So, I woke up to find this in my e-mail box:

Please contact the Arbitration Committee to explain why you have posted personal, non-public information about another contributor on your personal blog. This blog post has direct ramifications on the project, and may put you in gross violation of the project's norms and policies.

For the Arbitration Committee,

Anthony (AGK)
Ooooh... Sounds like we gotta baddass over here!

On the other hand, Sandifer sounds like a paranoid little lefty git.
The reason why I did this should be straightforward and obvious: it's in the public interest to know that employees of the US Military are attempting to covertly influence the tone and direction of Wikipedia's coverage of Chelsea Manning. I am not attempting to assert some sort of conspiracy - I'm sure that Ainsworth was acting on his own initiative, and that it's merely that his values align with those of his employer. However this does not change the fact that he is employed by the institution currently imprisoning Chelsea Manning and denying her medically necessary treatment for gender dysphoria, and that he is hypocritically trying to influence Wikipedia's coverage of this from behind a pseudonym while decrying other people for their conflicts of interest.
Sandifer was banninated!... By the Starter's Chamber, with young master AGK delivering the coup de disgrace.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:45 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Sandifer was banninated!... By the Starter's Chamber, with young master AGK delivering the coup de disgrace.
Sandifer must be purring right now. This will give him months of entertainment; self-righteous whining, bitching, behind the scene political maneuvering, irc shenanigans, power plays, allies lining up behind him and pestering arbcom, and eventually a victory march home when the ban is lifted.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Mr. Gerard would like to give a shout out to the people really pulling the strings.
The difference is, of course, the banning arbitrators hang out on Wikipediocracy - David Gerard (talk) 19:38, 6 November 2013 (UTC)

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:14 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Mr. Gerard would like to give a shout out to the people really pulling the strings.
The difference is, of course, the banning arbitrators hang out on Wikipediocracy - David Gerard (talk) 19:38, 6 November 2013 (UTC)
Roger Davies, AGK, Timotheus Canens, Salvio giuliano, WormThatTurned, Newyorkbrad, SilkTork
Pffft. McCarthy-style exaggeration. Three of those people don't even have accounts here.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:20 pm

DanMurphy wrote:Mr. Gerard would like to give a shout out to the people really pulling the strings.
He seems real butthurt that he's no longer where the action is.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:10 pm

More Gerard - I share this one because I can't make heads nor tails of it:
I recall how I was banned from Citizendium ... three years after the last of my 10 edits there. For comments about CZ made on another site. The intention was not, of course, to send me a message - David Gerard (talk) 21:24, 6 November 2013 (UTC)
I mean, I get that he's saying that the bannination! of this Sandifer construct is meant to frighten off the other chickens from pecking at the identities of other chickens. But, well, Citizendium (is that even how that children's crusade spelled its name? I don't remember)? Does this mean that he thinks there's some kind of dangerous conspiracy to enforce what Wikipedia has claimed was some kind of important "rule" by dangerous outside subversives? And the allusion to Citizendium proves it? That it's wrong to use punishment to deter community misbehavior? Or is it simply paranoid (or, less charitably, manipulative) rambling by a master of the Wikipedian Dark Arts? I really couldn't say.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:05 pm

As I expected, he does read us even though he apparently holds us in contempt. Common theme.

Anyway, I have always been careful not to discuss the nature of my work or my organization of employment on the Internet or exactly where I live. I haven't seen the links that Mathsci, Phil, and David Gerard, among others, apparently used to find out where I lived and worked. I would like to know so I can see how they did it.

DanMurphy
Habitué

Unread post by DanMurphy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 pm

Cla68 wrote:As I expected, he does read us even though he apparently holds us in contempt. Common theme.

Anyway, I have always been careful not to discuss the nature of my work or my organization of employment on the Internet or exactly where I live. I haven't seen the links that Mathsci, Phil, and David Gerard, among others, apparently used to find out where I lived and worked. I would like to know so I can see how they did it.
Do you think he's actually stupid enough to think you're part of the legendary "military football team?"

Or do you think he's that stupid?

Or something else?

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:43 pm

Save me Jimbo!:
I have, for what it's worth, appealed the ban to Jimmy Wales.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

TungstenCarbide
Habitué

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:54 pm

DanMurphy wrote:More Gerard - I share this one because I can't make heads nor tails of it:
I recall how I was banned from Citizendium ... three years after the last of my 10 edits there. For comments about CZ made on another site. The intention was not, of course, to send me a message - David Gerard (talk) 21:24, 6 November 2013 (UTC)
I mean, I get that he's saying that the bannination! of this Sandifer construct is meant to frighten off the other chickens from pecking at the identities of other chickens. But, well, Citizendium (is that even how that children's crusade spelled its name? I don't remember)? Does this mean that he thinks there's some kind of dangerous conspiracy to enforce what Wikipedia has claimed was some kind of important "rule" by dangerous outside subversives? And the allusion to Citizendium proves it? That it's wrong to use punishment to deter community misbehavior? Or is it simply paranoid (or, less charitably, manipulative) rambling by a master of the Wikipedian Dark Arts? I really couldn't say.

Wikipedia's informal minister of propaganda.

everyking
Critic

Unread post by everyking » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:57 am

A good and long overdue decision. I'm happy to see I was mistaken in thinking that the ArbCom was going to let the matter drop without taking action.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:00 am

One correction to Newyorkbrad's comment. I did not give an opinion on Manning's name in WP. In fact, I did not participate in any of the naming discussions. I just presented evidence of activism being present in the debate.

I actually didn't really have a strong opinion either way on renaming the article. So, they shouldn't have been treating me as an enemy over the content/naming issue. That's one of the reasons why activists need to be kept at arm's length from Wikipedia, because they polarize content discussions.