Private Manning arbitration

For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
Hex
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Scott

Re: Private Manning arbitration

Unread post by Hex » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:07 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:A. Two extremely minor Wikipedians (one with fewer than 100 total edits) are banned from editing or discussing Transexuality broadly defined for their dumb statements.

B. .......As is one conservative drama queen and one disruptive POV warrior interested in "German and English politics and LGBT issues."

Well, that was certainly a productive use of the committee's and the community's time...
I know, right? :blink:
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Well, that was certainly a productive use of the committee's and the community's time...
Well, what it did show is that a carefully-constructed, non-aggressive argument that amounts to "I don't like transgendered people or their choices" is acceptable discourse in the Wikipedia.

Wonder what'd happen if someone did that on purpose to make a point?
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Cla68
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Cla68

Unread post by Cla68 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:47 am

I assume that if the US Army, which owns Manning for the next 35 years or so, allows him to legally change his name then his WP article will be renamed without too much fuss.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:51 am

Cla68 wrote:I assume that if the US Army, which owns Manning for the next 35 years or so, allows him to legally change his name then his WP article will be renamed without too much fuss.
The article will be renamed in about 2 days. It's running about 9-to-1 in favor of the change, last I checked. There really isn't a policy-based reason to oppose at this point, in my estimation.

RfB

P.S. Okay, I'm bad at math: 109-to-25, and counting.

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:11 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Cla68 wrote:I assume that if the US Army, which owns Manning for the next 35 years or so, allows him to legally change his name then his WP article will be renamed without too much fuss.
The article will be renamed in about 2 days. It's running about 9-to-1 in favor of the change, last I checked. There really isn't a policy-based reason to oppose at this point, in my estimation.

RfB

P.S. Okay, I'm bad at math: 109-to-25, and counting.
Oh, ok. I guess it really didn't turn out to be such a big deal. Too bad WP hasn't figured out yet how to deal with activists trying to use the site for advocacy which, IMO, is why the first move dispute went south.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:57 am

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:32 am

David Gerard desysopped

14) For his misuse of the administrator tools, David Gerard (talk · contribs)'s administrative privileges are revoked.

Support:

This is necessary because David is still adamant that he did nothing wrong, which does not instill me with any confidence that something like this won't happen again. Salvio Let's talk about it! 20:57, 29 September 2013 (UTC)
Der Wohltemperierte Fuchs(talk) 18:30, 1 October 2013 (UTC)

Oppose:

Disproportionate and excessive, even assuming a finding of misconduct. Newyorkbrad (talk) 21:11, 29 September 2013 (UTC)
Per the related finding. Kirill [talk] 21:12, 29 September 2013 (UTC)
Just no. NW (Talk) 17:49, 30 September 2013 (UTC)
Excessive. WormTT(talk) 10:19, 4 October 2013 (UTC)
Per my colleagues, this would be excessive as a remedy. David's actions were clearly ill-considered, but I do not think they demand a desysopping. AGK [•] 20:23, 4 October 2013 (UTC)
Though I supported the related finding, the actions were taken in good faith to uphold BLP, which mitigates things enough here for me to oppose this remedy. Carcharoth (talk) 00:50, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
Still a bunch of pussies.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:16 am

Two cartoon characters topic-banned.

Wascally Wabbit.

Gotta catch 'em all!

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:20 am

Untitled23.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Does anyone know why all of Nuclear Warfare's votes have been indented at the 11th hour on the Proposed Decision page?

link

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:32 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
David Gerard desysopped

14) For his misuse of the administrator tools, David Gerard (talk · contribs)'s administrative privileges are revoked.

Support:

This is necessary because David is still adamant that he did nothing wrong, which does not instill me with any confidence that something like this won't happen again. Salvio Let's talk about it! 20:57, 29 September 2013 (UTC)
Der Wohltemperierte Fuchs(talk) 18:30, 1 October 2013 (UTC)

Oppose:

Disproportionate and excessive, even assuming a finding of misconduct. Newyorkbrad (talk) 21:11, 29 September 2013 (UTC)
Per the related finding. Kirill [talk] 21:12, 29 September 2013 (UTC)
Just no. NW (Talk) 17:49, 30 September 2013 (UTC)
Excessive. WormTT(talk) 10:19, 4 October 2013 (UTC)
Per my colleagues, this would be excessive as a remedy. David's actions were clearly ill-considered, but I do not think they demand a desysopping. AGK [•] 20:23, 4 October 2013 (UTC)
Though I supported the related finding, the actions were taken in good faith to uphold BLP, which mitigates things enough here for me to oppose this remedy. Carcharoth (talk) 00:50, 5 October 2013 (UTC)
Still a bunch of pussies.
My own take is that Salvio redeemed himself for voting to take the case in the first place by at least making the effort. We now have a pretty good read for those who believe that Extremism in the Defense of House POV is No Vice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9buEI8SgwU

RfB

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:33 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Does anyone know why all of Nuclear Warfare's votes have been indented at the 11th hour on the Proposed Decision page?

link

RfB
He resigned as an arbitrator and, thus, his votes are discounted. It's strange. Usually, arbs finish cases they have already voted on before they leave.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:24 pm

The Joy wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Does anyone know why all of Nuclear Warfare's votes have been indented at the 11th hour on the Proposed Decision page?

link

RfB
He resigned as an arbitrator and, thus, his votes are discounted. It's strange. Usually, arbs finish cases they have already voted on before they leave.
I wonder if that's the scent of ragequit I detect on the wind.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Vigilant wrote:
The Joy wrote:

link

RfB
Perhaps NuclearWarfare is on the road to Damascus?

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:25 am

Vigilant wrote:
The Joy wrote:

link

RfB
That would be my take.

NukeEmAll was, along with Kirill, one of the hardliners in favor of whacking Faction B while protecting every action of Faction A. The bland result that only produced one significant pelt, that of of Baseball Bugs — who, let's face it, could be barbecued three times a year for various drama transgressions if one were so motivated — at the cost of one of Faction A's chief grenade-lobbers had to be.................. frustrating.

The violin music swells at the loss of an intrepid warrior,

RfB

NukeEm was terse with his departure message:
NukeEmAll wrote: When I was elected to the Committee at the end of last year, I had every intention of filling out my term. I am no longer able to do so, and thus am resigning as an Arbitrator, CheckUser, and Oversighter. NW (Talk) 9:09 am, 3 October 2013, last Thursday (2 days ago) (UTC−7)
link

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:54 am

Why did corrupt T. Canens abstain on David Gerard's desysopping?
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:01 am

Wer900 wrote:Why did corrupt T. Canens abstain on David Gerard's desysopping?
'Corrupt' is a bit much.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:30 am

Zoloft wrote:
'Corrupt' is a bit much.
Yeah, we can't prove he edited Wikipedia for the Chinese government. It's just, you know, a suspicion and suchlike.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:42 am

So there are only two options shown with David Gerard.
14) Desysop
14.1) Admonish

Why isn't there a middle ground?

14.2) David Gerard is indefinitely topic-banned from all pages relating to any transgender topic or individual, broadly construed.

Pretty sure it's easy to show that he planned this and was involved.
Pretty sure to show that he warred to keep things his way.

Take the problematic area out of his jurisdiction.

Probably too sane.
Besides, by admonishing him, you make yourselves look weak and ineffectual, so truth in advertising wins a round.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:42 am

The "Admonish" popped up at the 11th hour with six instant signatures.

Putting on my Kremlinologist hat, I suggest that it was possibly discussion of this that was beyond the pale for an overwrought and frustrated Nuclear Warfare. He went into full Cartman mode — "screw you guys, I'm going home," typed up a short resignation, and indented all his votes.

There's no reason for a truly time-pressed individual to go back and strike out votes like he did. The 1.5 milliion bytes of blather had been slathered and not read (NW was pretty explicit that he stopped reading the proposed remedies page). The secret debate of the Arbs had already been done, the votes already made. A couple days from the finish line and all the work on the case already done (assuming you can call it work and assuming you can call it a case) — there is zero reason for this sort of behavior on NW's part outside of a hissyfit over the way the outcome was going.

Like Gerard even cares about an "admonishment."

Anyway, that will make 9 seats to fill on the next ArbCom. I'll bet $5 they can't get 9 candidates who pass the 50% threshold.

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:26 am

I laughed out loud.
Given David has not demonstrated a pattern of misuse of his tools, it is improbable that he will misuse his page protection tools in future – making a restriction unnecessary. However, if circumstances do arise wherein David misused his tools, he will have been given his WP:ROPE and should expect to come out in that case not with a protection restriction but with a desysopping. We must not underestimate the effect of an admonishment, which essentially constitutes a final warning. Regards, AGK [•] 22:52, 6 October 2013 (UTC)
What a moron.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:26 pm

This is rich!
Per Newyorkbrad's comment here, we need to be sure that all the editors named in this decision are aware of it and have had a chance to respond. I had earlier said the following on the arbitration mailing list (at 21:47 UTC on 5 October 2013). "We appear to be voting to sanction people who have not edited since the edits in question, and who are thus not aware of the case and have not had a chance to say anything in their defence". Since then, I've looked through the contributions of the accounts named in this decision, and four accounts (Daniel32708/Imprimaturcr, Casy Penk/Resoru, Cjarbo2, and IFreedom1212) haven't edited since August or early September, which is before the proposed decision was posted. Obviously we can't hold up the case until they turn up, but it should be noted that they were not present during voting. Until wording to that effect is added, I am moving to oppose or abstain on findings and remedies related to those editors. Carcharoth (talk) 01:37, 7 October 2013 (UTC)

I would rather we worked on available evidence and would remove anything should they request clarification. I would certainly take into account the fact that a person was not present during a case in a clarification request, but am not willing to allow people to just duck out to avoid sanctions. WormTT(talk) 07:50, 7 October 2013 (UTC)
Because that's never happened here, amiright?

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:11 pm

Triptych wrote:
Cla68 wrote:That's the Marines, not the Army. The USMC takes pride (usually) in holding its officers to a high standard. The US Army is not necessarily known for the being the same way.
What an outrageous thing to say. There's cross-service rivalry joking and snickering within the ranks, fair enough, but any decent serviceperson knows not to make broadbrush swipes at another branch for record and on the Internet. If you are associated with the Marine Corps in some way, Cla68, you are not doing it any favors.

Manning may be the Army's problem. But whether classified disclosal or grossly offensive crime of whatever nature, the next one could come from any branch. And that is how it's always been.
This gal makes a convincing argument that regardless of with which branch they are affiliated, US servicemen have a legal obligation to report war crimes. The presumption in the military is that servicemen are required to make these reports to the military chain of command. Manning attempted to do this and was rebuffed. Under the circumstances, I think it is reasonable to say that Manning fulfilled his obligation under military rules in going public with the information, whether to the letter or to the spirit of the rules. Additionally, all US servicemen must "solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same..." That latter clause might be subject to legalistic interpretation, but my own take is that it required Manning to do what he (or she) did.
Section 499 of the Army Field Manual states, "Every violation of the law of war is a war crime." The law of war is contained in the Geneva Conventions.

Article 85 of the First Protocol to the Geneva Conventions describes making the civilian population or individual civilians the object of attack as a grave breach. The firing on and killing of civilians shown in the "Collateral Murder" video violated this provision of Geneva.

Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions requires that the wounded be collected and cared for. Article 17 of the First Protocol states that the civilian population "shall be permitted, even on their own initiative, to collect and care for the wounded." That article also says, "No one shall be harmed . . . for such humanitarian acts." The firing on rescuers portrayed in the "Collateral Murder" video violates these provisions of Geneva.

Finally, Section 27-10 of the Army Field Manual states that "maltreatment of dead bodies" is a war crime. When the Army jeep drove over the dead body, it violated this provision.

Enshrined in the US Army Subject Schedule No. 27-1 is "the obligation to report all violations of the law of war."
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:43 pm

Not as terribly interesting of an experiment as I thought it'd be, but

User:Tarc/Manning statement (T-H-L)

Pretending to be a conservative is perhaps the simplest thing in the world; just be outraged by everything you find disagreeable. But after awhile it gets terribly boring.

The only one I'd offer an apology to here really is Hex, who was right to call out my comments from the beginning.

Well done, good sir.

PS: You have no idea how nauseating it was to use that avatar for a month. :) Back to HST.

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Tarc wrote:Not as terribly interesting of an experiment as I thought it'd be, but

Pretending to be a conservative is perhaps the simplest thing in the world; just be outraged by everything you find disagreeable. But after awhile it gets terribly boring.

The only one I'd offer an apology to here really is Hex, who was right to call out my comments from the beginning.

Well done, good sir.

PS: You have no idea how nauseating it was to use that avatar for a month. :) Back to HST.
So, you pulled a Mrs. Doubtfire (T-H-L) or Yentl (T-H-L)?
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Well played...dick.

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Vigilant wrote:Well played...dick.
It should have been fairly obvious given my stance on the Obama articles over the years, plus the way I chewed out user "Obiwankenobi" there for being a misogynist twit in the Sarah Jane Brown (T-H-L) and Hillary Rodham Clinton (T-H-L) rename discussions.

Who gives a fuck what Manning chooses to be? It's none of my business, and certainly none of yours.

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Tarc wrote:Not as terribly interesting of an experiment as I thought it'd be, but

Well done, good sir.

former Living Person

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 pm

Tarc wrote:
It should have been fairly obvious given my stance on the Obama articles over the years, plus the way I chewed out user "Obiwankenobi" there for being a misogynist twit in the Sarah Jane Brown (T-H-L) and Hillary Rodham Clinton (T-H-L) rename discussions.

Who gives a fuck what Manning chooses to be? It's none of my business, and certainly none of yours.
I don't run DD on random ass people I'm talking to.
Perhaps I need to be less trusting...

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:08 pm

I just looked at the West avatar and winced. Trolling accomplished.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Tarc wrote:Pretending to be a conservative is perhaps the simplest thing in the world; just be outraged by everything you find disagreeable.
So, basically, you just took different positions and otherwise acted normal.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Tarc wrote:

Oh Vigilant, I still love you though..in a thoroughly platonic, Jack Tripper sorta way, of course.

This was just a minor point-making exercise, in the ballpark of the BLP breaching experiment, nothing more.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Tarc wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Tarc wrote:

Oh Vigilant, I still love you though..in a thoroughly platonic, Jack Tripper sorta way, of course.

This was just a minor point-making exercise, in the ballpark of the BLP breaching experiment, nothing more.
Whew!

I thought we were gonna do the whole nasty divorce thing.
Who would get Zoloft?

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Tarc wrote:Who gives a fuck what Manning chooses to be? It's none of my business, and certainly none of yours.
Well, the point of the whole incident was that Wikipedia needed to decide what the article's name is after Manning's statement about changing his/her name. The initial process to do so turned into a fiasco and showed that WP's administration can't handle something that should be consistent and routine. If WP had an effective process established, it shouldn't have mattered what the personal agendas were by the participants.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:34 pm

The thing that bugs me most about this is that Manning isn't going down in history for a sex change.

He burned his life and career to bring war crimes out in the open.
That his wikipedia epitaph might be about gender trivializes everything he's sacrificed on the alter of pointless propaganda by the likes of David Gerard.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:56 am

Vigilant wrote:He burned his life and career to bring war crimes out in the open.
That his wikipedia epitaph might be about gender trivializes everything he's sacrificed on the alter of pointless propaganda by the likes of David Gerard.
You have a knack for boiling the Wiki-shittery down to simple language. Keep it up, lad.

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:13 am

Vigilant wrote:The thing that bugs me most about this is that Manning isn't going down in history for a sex change.

:agree: :jawdrop:
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:29 am

Hersch wrote:
Vigilant wrote:The thing that bugs me most about this is that Manning isn't going down in history for a sex change.

:agree: :jawdrop:
The end times must be upon us.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/0 ... 60063.html

Mancunium
Habitué

Unread post by Mancunium » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:06 am

The belief that the universe will soon end is the pathetic fallacy of people who know that their own existence will soon end.
former Living Person

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:11 am

Bloody hell.

:bow: I'm in awe. That was an amazing performance, well done!
Tarc wrote: The only one I'd offer an apology to here really is Hex, who was right to call out my comments from the beginning.

Well done, good sir.
Aw, thanks. You know, I found the character you were being quite bewildering, because up until that point you'd struck me as a very reasonable guy. It felt like I'd suddenly had the rug pulled out from under me. I'm really glad that it was an act.

Going back through the threads here and reading your comments in the light of this revelation is pretty entertaining. :)
Tarc wrote:Hex is the kind of person who protests Nativity displays on public property; like many liberal/atheist types, he's jealous because his circle of friends can't count 3 wise men and a virgin among them.
Tarc wrote: PS: You have no idea how nauseating it was to use that avatar for a month. :) Back to HST.
:D
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Cla68
Habitué

Unread post by Cla68 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:21 am

I remember from debate or speech class being asked your position on something then being assigned to advocate for the other side. Since your feelings aren't as attached to your position, in some ways it was easier to be clear minded and logical.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:04 pm

Hersch wrote:This gal makes a convincing argument that regardless of with which branch they are affiliated, US servicemen have a legal obligation to report war crimes. The presumption in the military is that servicemen are required to make these reports to the military chain of command. Manning attempted to do this and was rebuffed. Under the circumstances, I think it is reasonable to say that Manning fulfilled his obligation under military rules in going public with the information, whether to the letter or to the spirit of the rules. Additionally, all US servicemen must "solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same..." That latter clause might be subject to legalistic interpretation, but my own take is that it required Manning to do what he (or she) did.
Section 499 of the Army Field Manual states, "Every violation of the law of war is a war crime." The law of war is contained in the Geneva Conventions.

Article 85 of the First Protocol to the Geneva Conventions describes making the civilian population or individual civilians the object of attack as a grave breach. The firing on and killing of civilians shown in the "Collateral Murder" video violated this provision of Geneva.

Common Article 3 of the Geneva Conventions requires that the wounded be collected and cared for. Article 17 of the First Protocol states that the civilian population "shall be permitted, even on their own initiative, to collect and care for the wounded." That article also says, "No one shall be harmed . . . for such humanitarian acts." The firing on rescuers portrayed in the "Collateral Murder" video violates these provisions of Geneva.

Finally, Section 27-10 of the Army Field Manual states that "maltreatment of dead bodies" is a war crime. When the Army jeep drove over the dead body, it violated this provision.

Enshrined in the US Army Subject Schedule No. 27-1 is "the obligation to report all violations of the law of war."
It's an okay article, and it's always useful to remind servicemembers of their responsibilities, which include being aware of regulations prohibiting obeying unlawful orders, and generally of the international Geneva Conventions principles on the laws of war, which say things like you can't desecrate corpses by urinating on them etc., you can't torture prisoners, you can't attack those who are clearly non-combatants and so forth.

My problem with Pvt. Manning is that he didn't just specifically release the video of the helicopter attack in Bagdad where they killed those innocents, and similarly specific stuff like that, he did a huge indiscriminate data leak of the classified State Department cables and so forth. He didn't even read that stuff. Does it potentially endanger our (the U.S.') spies around the world ferreting out intelligence on terror attacks and WMDs and so forth? Sure it does. It seems to me Manning makes this emotional decision that his own government is the enemy, and so he's going to use his access to strike at that, and I also recall reading a bit where he smirks that he was able to walk out of those classified facilities with the CD-Rs in his pockets because nobody checked him. Right, because they trusted him.

I'd differentiate Manning from Edward Snowden who's been much, much more discriminating in what he released, the NSA mass surveillance programs and such, where the U.S. is spying on its own citizens and he's able to cogently explain why he anguished about it and why he did it.

Of course both of these guys are oath-breakers, they swore verbally and signed papers never to disclose that stuff. I tried to think of how a conscientious leaker could get around that. I think the only way is to publicly abrogate the oath. "My conscience no longer allows me to ... and I thus declare myself no longer bound." Neither Manning nor Snowden did that, except impliedly. I would say one has to do it pointedly and publicly and perhaps even before he or she ever leaks anything. Oh, it's not going to get you off the hook when they arrest you, but it's an answer to those who regard you as a base oath-breaker.

On the other hand, this Wikipedia sideshow regarding Manning's gender identity is just a record-breaking festival for Wikipedia's drama set. It's less about Manning than it is about them, in my view. The GLBT crusaders have their great cause to advocate and then you get the requisite supposedly villainous remarks ("can I decide to become an African-American tomorrow morning?") and admittedly worse remarks from the other side. Of course the Arbcom spectacle where it is actually making charges (and convictions) of hate speech. It was transparent a politically activist thing from the beginning, where Morwen or whoever instantly changed the name and gender pronouns, and then there's certain progressive media outlets celebrating where "Wikipedia beat the mainstream press on gender identification rights for Manning." You can't just change your name by saying so. There's a legal process. Sure, you can say "I wish to be known as "Chelsea."" It would be appropriate to write in the article "on such and such date, Manning announced a wish to be known as Chelsea," but not that "Chelsea Elizabeth Manning (born Bradley Edward Manning, December 17, 1987)" bull that starts the article now. When the legal name change is complete, then sure. The gender pronoun question is trickier. As a gesture of sensitivity towards the gender identification question, should "he" and "him" and "his" be instantly switched out for "she" and "her" and "hers" throughout the article? I don't know, did I read there was existing guideline or official "manual of style" on the point? Go by that, and then debate it out at those pages.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Hex wrote:

Bloody hell.

:bow: I'm in awe. That was an amazing performance, well done!
He's our very own Spagett!

Tarc
Habitué

Unread post by Tarc » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:53 pm

Hex wrote:Going back through the threads here and reading your comments in the light of this revelation is pretty entertaining. :)
Tarc wrote:Hex is the kind of person who protests Nativity displays on public property; like many liberal/atheist types, he's jealous because his circle of friends can't count 3 wise men and a virgin among them.
See, stuff like that should've at least been suspicious, that's a quote from Buddy Cianci, the old mayor of Providence, RI. Unix nerds may even recognize it as a possible output of fortune -o.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Zoloft wrote:
'Corrupt' is a bit much.
I'd concur with it. But granted, "corrupt" is nuanced vocabulary that has alternate definitions. There's other words that are easier, like "theft" or "lie" and so forth. You say something like that, and you don't have to expound on it much really, you just just have to point to it. What "corrupt" is though is a word that suggests things like abuse of position, deliberate misleading, disingenuity, even cynicism of motive. Canens is all of those things. You look at the recent experience with Ironholds and Kiefer Wolfowitz, he constructs this reality where official Wikipedia IRC is some private off-site thing of marginal relevance, trumpets Worm's exaggerated list of Kiefer's on-wiki trangressions while downplaying those of Ironhold's which are worse (I mean deliberately logging out to vandalize your target's userpage as an IP?!) and ignoring that Ironholds clearly, vulgarly, and violently provoked his and Kiefer's clash that precipitated the whole Arbcom case? Why's Canens do that? Because his view administrators as a superior class, which is of course his self-superiority. You can go back a little further in his elaborate policy explanation of his checkuser gangbang stalking of Malleus Fatuorum, he's pointing uncritically to particular text that is essentially unlimited "editing project space" as justification for "sockpuppet investigations" however and whenever any admin chooses to do them. He knows the text is overbroad and shouldn't be there, smugly pretends its fine and self-justifies with it. There's plenty more. The guy is entirely disingenuous. If he can twist some words he'll do it. He doesn't aspire to lead as an arb, he aspires to control. He's a defective and deceptive personality, knowingly gets away with whatever he can when he can. Unlikely to be held to account because he's clever and good at doing what he does. So, "corrupt?" I'm with Wer900.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Triptych wrote: On the other hand, this Wikipedia sideshow regarding Manning's gender identity is just a record-breaking festival for Wikipedia's drama set. It's less about Manning than it is about them, in my view. The GLBT crusaders have their great cause to advocate and then you get the requisite supposedly villainous remarks ("can I decide to become an African-American tomorrow morning?") and admittedly worse remarks from the other side. Of course the Arbcom spectacle where it is actually making charges (and convictions) of hate speech. It was transparent a politically activist thing from the beginning, where Morwen or whoever instantly changed the name and gender pronouns, and then there's certain progressive media outlets celebrating where "Wikipedia beat the mainstream press on gender identification rights for Manning." You can't just change your name by saying so. There's a legal process. Sure, you can say "I wish to be known as "Chelsea."" It would be appropriate to write in the article "on such and such date, Manning announced a wish to be known as Chelsea," but not that "Chelsea Elizabeth Manning (born Bradley Edward Manning, December 17, 1987)" bull that starts the article now. When the legal name change is complete, then sure. The gender pronoun question is trickier. As a gesture of sensitivity towards the gender identification question, should "he" and "him" and "his" be instantly switched out for "she" and "her" and "hers" throughout the article? I don't know, did I read there was existing guideline or official "manual of style" on the point? Go by that, and then debate it out at those pages.
:applause:

RfB

P.S. I don't agree with the last two lines, since the MOS has been made into a political document on this matter for one and I don't like the MOS to start with for two, but beyond that...
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:40 pm

Tarc wrote:
Hex wrote:Going back through the threads here and reading your comments in the light of this revelation is pretty entertaining. :)
See, stuff like that should've at least been suspicious, that's a quote from Buddy Cianci, the old mayor of Providence, RI. Unix nerds may even recognize it as a possible output of fortune -o.
And I was just about ready to compliment your wit.

RfB

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Triptych wrote:You can't just change your name by saying so. There's a legal process.
You clearly haven't been paying enough attention, because the inaccuracy of this claim has been pointed out several times on Wikipediocracy alone.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:06 pm

Hex wrote:
Triptych wrote:You can't just change your name by saying so. There's a legal process.
You clearly haven't been paying enough attention, because the inaccuracy of this claim has been pointed out several times on Wikipediocracy alone.
We're not litigating this issue here, folks. Comment about the madness on Wikipedia, don't infect this site as well.
:axemurderer:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:42 pm

Sorry, I have no desire to stir a can of worms after the dead horse has bolted.