Rev. Stuart Campbell

For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
Smiley
(Not a cat)
kołdry

Rev. Stuart Campbell

Unread post by Smiley » Sat May 18, 2013 12:22 am

Prominent Scottish cybernat, Rev. Stuart Campbell (T-H-L) has an interesting WP history.
He may well have contributed under several names, with "interesting" results. He appealed to have his original entry deleted twice, and was successful on the second occasion. In a debate over COI in Campbell's BLP, the anon ip 83.67.217.135 and User:Stuart Campbell were involved on the same side. [hyperlink]http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... o_clear_up here[/hyperlink]

This forum post led to all sorts of goodies back on WP. I believe this (incredible) request for an unblock is also related. There are other likely "socks" involved along the way. The first deletion debate opens with "someone" declaring: you miserable bastards!

After Campbell's entry was recreated recently (and very quickly after Campbell was informed of the fact), CaptainCorrecto turned up to delete some details and change a date. Despite the best efforts of a newish editor, Correcto got himself blocked shortly after for Rangers-related editwarring. At about the same time, RevStu posted this up on twitter "Wiki really is a world of cocks" ...

I am Hillbillyholiday / Michael Cockram, natch. Howdy.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: Rev. Stuart Campbell

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat May 18, 2013 12:34 am

Smiley wrote:Prominent Scottish cybernat, Rev. Stuart Campbell (T-H-L) has an interesting WP history.
He may well have contributed under several names, with "interesting" results. He appealed to have his original entry deleted twice, and was successful on the second occasion. In a debate over COI in Campbell's BLP, the anon ip 83.67.217.135 and User:Stuart Campbell were involved on the same side. [hyperlink]http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... o_clear_up here[/hyperlink]

This forum post led to all sorts of goodies back on WP. I believe this (incredible) request for an unblock is also related. There are other likely "socks" involved along the way. The first deletion debate opens with "someone" declaring: you miserable bastards!

After Campbell's entry was recreated recently (and very quickly after Campbell was informed of the fact), CaptainCorrecto turned up to delete some details and change a date. Despite the best efforts of a newish editor, Correcto got himself blocked shortly after for Rangers-related editwarring. At about the same time, RevStu posted this up on twitter "Wiki really is a world of cocks" ...

I am Hillbillyholiday / Michael Cockram, natch. Howdy.

Hi Michael, and welcome!

—Tim Davenport /// "Carrite" /// RfB

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat May 18, 2013 12:43 am

Alright, Tim. How's it going?

I only got online recently after years of resisting it. I thought I was an avid reader before, but in the few months I've been at WP, I've barely slept due to volumes I've been digesting. Which is why I resisted for so long of course. I'm just beginning to get a sense of some of the problems here, and what fun it can be too!

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat May 18, 2013 2:03 am

Excuse me, but was that supposed to be a joke article? It's piss-poor, and look like another Robert Clark Young atrocity.
Shall we inform Andrew Leonard?

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat May 18, 2013 2:42 am

Hoots man! Rumbled! Yes, I am the Reverend. I just love the attention you see. My sophisticated charade clearly wasn't smart enough to fool you though, Eric.
Ach, best leave you guys to it, and go write me some more piss-poor articles..

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat May 18, 2013 1:37 pm

EricBarbour
May 17, 2013 at 8:06 pm · Reply

If you like this kind of thing, here’s another one. Unlike Qworty, this guy came to Wikipediocracy and posted it himself, and then admitted writing his own insanely-long and bizarre WP bio.
Oh, this has made my day... Eric, you really are a total fuckwit.

-- Hoots!

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat May 18, 2013 5:44 pm

Smiley wrote:
EricBarbour
May 17, 2013 at 8:06 pm · Reply

If you like this kind of thing, here’s another one. Unlike Qworty, this guy came to Wikipediocracy and posted it himself, and then admitted writing his own insanely-long and bizarre WP bio.
Oh, this has made my day... Eric, you really are a total fuckwit.

-- Hoots!
Dude,
I'm not speaking for anyone else here, just myself, when I tell you , "Your schtick isn't funny. Please stop."

Take it as you will.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat May 18, 2013 6:15 pm

It wasn't meant to be funny. I posted to alert you guys to what I thought was an an interesting article. The fact that Eric Barbour believed my (quite obviously) joke confession to being Campbell is very funny to me however.

No true Scot would ever use the word "Hoots", it is a pisstake in the UK, which the youtube link was meant to show.

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Sat May 18, 2013 6:21 pm

Don't pay Eric too much mind on these matters. I don't believe he's ever smiled in his life. :P

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat May 18, 2013 11:14 pm

I see irony and sarcasm have commited murder-suicide right here in this topic.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sat May 18, 2013 11:55 pm

If anyone wants a good example of internet crazy, google stuart cambell and bruce everiss... Two ageing formerly relevant fossils trying to prove they still matter....

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun May 19, 2013 12:04 am

Great find Anroth, somehow I forgot posting missed that stuff.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun May 19, 2013 12:15 am

Smiley wrote:It wasn't meant to be funny. I posted to alert you guys to what I thought was an an interesting article. The fact that Eric Barbour believed my (quite obviously) joke confession to being Campbell is very funny to me however.
Why did you re-create the article? That's really the crux of this particular matter; presumably you don't like Mr. Campbell, but why? What's your beef with him? This re-created version should have been deleted immediately.
No true Scot would ever use the word "Hoots", it is a pisstake in the UK, which the youtube link was meant to show.
No true Scot would ever spend a single minute screwing around on Wikipedia either, but you seem to have done that...? :blink:

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun May 19, 2013 12:26 am

..presumably you don't like Mr. Campbell, but why? What's your beef with him?
I didn't know the article had previously been deleted. I have been a fan of Stu's since the Amiga Power days over twenty years ago. His articles were a big influence on me as a young'un. I only just found out he was a leading cybernat, and when I saw there was no mention of him on WP, I created the article.
This re-created version should have been deleted immediately.
I informed an admin prior to the creation of this BLP and after, why do you think it warrants deletion?

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun May 19, 2013 1:29 am

Smiley wrote:It wasn't meant to be funny. I posted to alert you guys to what I thought was an an interesting article. The fact that Eric Barbour believed my (quite obviously) joke confession to being Campbell is very funny to me however.
Not even paying attention to this. Nor to you, sorry.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun May 19, 2013 1:55 am

Presumably you are looking away from the screen, and thinking about something else as you type.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun May 19, 2013 3:01 am

This re-created version should have been deleted immediately.
I informed an admin prior to the creation of this BLP and after, why do you think it warrants deletion?
That's not obvious? For the same reasons as the previous version, given that the subject is still not well-known, doesn't want it, and it's just a matter of time before the same people who attacked the earlier version come back for Round II.

I apologize if you spent a lot of time writing it, though... it's nothing against you, really, and of course I'm a bit reflexive on this particular issue, even compared to other people here. It's just something I don't like to see.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun May 19, 2013 3:26 am

That's not obvious? For the same reasons as the previous version, given that the subject is still not well-known, doesn't want it, and it's just a matter of time before the same people who attacked the earlier version come back for Round II.

I apologize if you spent a lot of time writing it, though... it's nothing against you, really, and of course I'm a bit reflexive on this particular issue, even compared to other people here. It's just something I don't like to see.
No need to apologize, but thanks anyway!

I didn't write all of it, as can be seen from the view history. I would argue that he is certainly notable if not unique within his field, the quotes would seem to back that up, I mean how many journalists have been compared to Al-Qaeda? (By an O.B.E. no less)

The article also mentions "cybernats" and "unitrolls" who weren't covered yet on WP, but who are causing a media-shitstorm in the UK right now. The link between punk and computer games is also alluded to, an area which has been little explored. The fact that Campbell appears to have serious issues with WP going back a few years, prompted my posting it here.

The fact that editwarring may take place kinda demonstrates his notoriety/notability, but it's been fine so far. I let Stu know about it as soon as I finished the article (I had no idea it had been self-deleted previously), and he replied: "Crivvens, that's awfully kind"

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun May 19, 2013 7:49 am

Smiley wrote:
Presumably you are looking away from the screen, and thinking about something else as you type.
He lies on his back and thinks of England.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 19, 2013 3:19 pm

>mfw
Smiley wrote: [hyperlink]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-xG3D8OMQk,-- Hoots![/hyperlink]
I knew exactly what that video was going to be before even clicking it. Talk about dating myself.
Smiley wrote: I'm just beginning to get a sense of some of the problems here, and what fun it can be too!
It's really something, hey?

:welcome: Welcome aboard, Michael!

-- Scott
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun May 19, 2013 3:41 pm

>mfw
Ha ha!! Mine too.. Hi, Scott.
This forum post led to all sorts of goodies back on WP.
I made an error with the link to the forum, which was an outing posted by someone Campbell had pissed off.

Try this instead.
I'm just beginning to get a sense of some of the problems here, and what fun it can be too!
That was a typo, should have read there, referring to WP, but I guess it applies here just as well.
-- Hoots!
Lord Rockingham's finest. Have had it on repeat for about 12 hours now..!!

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun May 19, 2013 5:41 pm

Smiley wrote:I only just found out he was a leading cybernat...
I had to look up "cybernat" - I'm shamefully ignorant of politics north of the border.
Labour peer Lord Foulkes claims crediting for coining the term cybernat to describe Nationalists and supporters of independence who conduct rhetorical guerrilla warfare on Twitter, Facebook and the comment threads of newspaper websites.

Rather than initiating discussions about policy or ideas, cybernats demonise those opposed to the SNP and independence and dismiss them as, inter alia, cowardly, unpatriotic, and even traitorous.

In response, SNP and pro-independence bloggers and tweeters point to what they see as a mirror phenomenon: the cyberbrit, those supporters of the Union or of the Unionist parties in the Scottish Parliament who attack Alex Salmond and SNP politicians with bilious invective and false allegations.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun May 19, 2013 8:35 pm

I had to look up "cybernat" - I'm shamefully ignorant of politics north of the border.
This is what the UK government is counting on. I think I speak for most English in saying "Good luck to 'em, if that's what they want." But a separate Scotland means loss of political power for both Labour and Tory parties, and naturally raises the question of English devolution next. Stu's blog Wings Over Scotland is pretty entertaining on the subject.

..Hope that isn't considered self-promotion ;) For "balance" there is also a dedicated pisstake site called Wangs Over Skintland

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun May 19, 2013 8:44 pm

Hex wrote:
>mfw

Smiley wrote: -- Hoots!
I knew exactly what that video was going to be before even clicking it. Talk about dating myself.
Smiley wrote: I'm just beginning to get a sense of some of the problems here, and what fun it can be too!
It's really something, hey?

:welcome: Welcome aboard, Michael!

-- Scott
An appropriate decline:
Decline reason: Not a reason to unblock. עוד מישהו Od Mishehu 04:27, 22 June 2010 (UTC)
The Fourth Reich is so over.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 pm

He is a natural-born flamer it would seem. In 1993, when Amiga Power were pressured into taking the poppy off their cover by the Daily Star, the British Legion, Mary Whitehouse (T-H-L) and others; Campbell left a wee non-confrontational message underneath that issue's contact details (just visible in image 004, bottom left) "Old soldiers? I wish them all dead" along with a reference to Hitler's book burning in the credits. That reignited the fires a wee bit, leading to a classic outburst from a war-veteran: "Good God. It leaves you speechless. If it was not for the old soldiers who stood up during the wars he might not be alive."

And that's not even in the article, due to the tabloid source.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sun May 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Smiley wrote:In 1993, when Amiga Power were pressured into taking the poppy off their cover by the Daily Star, the British Legion, Mary Whitehouse (T-H-L) and others; Campbell left a wee non-confrontational message underneath that issue's contact details (just visible in image 004, bottom left) "Old soldiers? I wish them all dead" along with a reference to Hitler's book burning in the credits. That reignited the fires a wee bit, leading to a classic outburst from a war-veteran: "Good God. It leaves you speechless. If it was not for the old soldiers who stood up during the wars he might not be alive."
Well, it's a commonly-known fact that back in the 90's, most old soldiers in the UK were die-hard Atari ST fans.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Mon May 20, 2013 1:12 am

User_talk:CaptainCorrecto#May_2013 (T-H-L) 00:58, 20 May 2013
I'm glad that the stereotype of Wiki editors as pompous, sanctimonious, power-drunk jobsworth arseholes actively blocking having entries improved and corrected if the requisite forms haven't been filled out in triplicate in exactly the right shade of blue ink between 2.16pm and 2.23pm on a Tuesday has turned out to be a myth. Oh wait, the other thing. Ban me forever if you like, because I'm fucked if I'll be bothering my arse trying to contribute anything ever again.
Is this recent post Campbell? Check the user's history!

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon May 20, 2013 11:30 am

Smiley wrote:But a separate Scotland means loss of political power for both Labour and Tory parties
At the risk of going off-topic, I'd say that devolution would greatly help the Conservatives. True, they would lose most of their power over about 10% of the population of the United Kingdom (though much of the power is already devolved), but against that they would rarely be out of power in London since Labour has for decades had far more Scottish MPs than the Conservatives have had.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Mon May 20, 2013 3:43 pm

A potted history..

COI noticeboard 2009 User:Stuart Campbell quote:
"..in my experience Wikipedia is staffed by arrogant jobsworths drunk on the power they wield over the encyclopaedia's hapless subjects."
User:83.67.217.135 COI noticeboard 2008
"Looking at that user's edit history and short-temperedness, it becomes obvious that the user is Stuart Campbell himself."
User:Rev. Stuart Campbell COI noticeboard 2010 Campbell edit summary:
"Sigh. I should know what I do and don't do."

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Mon May 20, 2013 3:46 pm

At the risk of going off-topic, I'd say that devolution would greatly help the Conservatives.
But they aren't supporting the "Yes" vote. Trident, oil, and EU membership are factors.

greyed.out.fields
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: I AM your guilty pleasure
Actual Name: Written addiction

Unread post by greyed.out.fields » Sat May 25, 2013 7:23 am

No true Scotsman (T-H-L)? :cthulhu: :dalek:
a cien años de soledad no tenían una segunda oportunidad en la tierra

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat May 25, 2013 7:41 am

Well, if you said "hoots" to my Glaswegian mate, he'd probably kiss you. He's definitely a True Scotsman (T-H-L)

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:23 am

I recently came across this Vice article from 2014..
He has a Wikipedia page which runs to almost 2,000 words. He insists he has never even read it.

"I'm not responsible for a word of that Wikipedia page," he says.

I don't believe him, I say.

"It's absolutely true," he says. "I never tell lies. I have not told a lie since I was 24."
Hmmm... :notsosure: