Joe West, Umpire and Litigation-Threatener

For discussions on privacy implications, including BLP issues
Midsize Jake
Site Admin
kołdry
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Joe West, Umpire and Litigation-Threatener

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:45 am

This article suggests that retired Major-League Baseball umpire Joe West (umpire) (T-H-L) tried to "threaten legal action" after edits he made to his own BLP were reverted.

Is Joe West editing Wikipedia?
Former controversial umpire allegedly tried changing unfavorable aspects of his page
Edward Sutelan, The Sporting News, Feb. 9, 2023
Joe West appears to have taken up writing and editing in his retirement. But that writing is not being welcomed by Wikipedia.

A Reddit poster noted a chain of edits on Wikipedia to West's Wikipedia page by an account called "Crewchief22" that signed off as Joe West. Wikipedia repeatedly revised the edits, leading Crewchief22 to threaten legal action.

During his career, West wore the No. 22 on his sleeve.
I'm sure it won't amount to anything in the end, but needless to say, the account got indefinitely blocked for WP:NLT... so as far as the admins are concerned, Mr. West no longer exists!

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Re: Joe West, Umpire and Litigation-Threatener

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:56 am

I can't tell you how much I, as an admin and evil old one, love the NLT policy. Thanks for being a jerk, you've just given me everything I need to block you. Does it always stop them? Of course not, but it works often enough.

It is also (generally) one of the easiest types of blocks to appeal. There are clear and specific steps you can take that reverse it nearly as automatically as it was applied. I feel this serves an important teaching function for people who are new and maybe don't get that it just ain't that kinda place.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:03 pm

Yeah, block 'em for legal threats. That way you don't need to look at the article in question to see whether what they are objecting to should be there in the first place...

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:26 pm

AndyTheGrump wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:03 pm
Yeah, block 'em for legal threats. That way you don't need to look at the article in question to see whether what they are objecting to should be there in the first place...
The two are not mutually exclusive, but I agree totally with the principle that if someone is threatening legal action, the conversation with them is over unless and until the threat is resolved or withdrawn. I have applied this principle in real life as well. One can certainly still investigate whatever it was that was making them mad, but the legal part of it needs to go to the lawyers.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:12 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:26 pm
AndyTheGrump wrote:
The two are not mutually exclusive, but I agree totally with the principle that if someone is threatening legal action, the conversation with them is over unless and until the threat is resolved or withdrawn. I have applied this principle in real life as well. One can certainly still investigate whatever it was that was making them mad, but the legal part of it needs to go to the lawyers.
I'd have to suggest that 'suspended' might be a better word than 'over', in such circumstances. And if there is the slightest indication that there might be any legitimacy to complaints from biography subjects, Wikipedia needs to ensure that they are investigated properly. Far too often, people see 'blocked for legal threats' as an end-point.

Lurking
Contributor

Unread post by Lurking » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:56 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:26 pm
AndyTheGrump wrote:
I'd argue that "investigate whatever is was that was making them mad" shouldn't so much be a can as a should in most cases, and especially those involving BLPs. (Clear trolling, known LTAs, incomprehensible rambling, blatant bullshit and other obvious exceptions aside)

When it's reasonably clear what's being objected to, and none of the obvious exceptions apply, it honestly ought to be the norm to at least check whether 1. the thing they're objecting is in the article; 2. if so, whether it's sourced; 3. if so, whether that source is sufficiently reliable for the type of claim being made; and 4. if so, whether the claim can actually be verified to the source. If 3/4 aren't possible due to lack of access to the source, language barriers, lack of subject knowledge and thus ability to judge the reliability of the source etc., well, en.wiki sure has no shortage of relevant noticeboards.

And sure, that won't catch all situations in which a complaint has actual merits, especially if the situation is rather complex, but it'd still catch a lot more of them than the current "blocking them is a must--but actually checking whether there's merit to their complaints is optional" state of matters.

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:02 pm

Wikipedia:Don't overlook legal threats (T-H-L) exists (and ought to be heeded more often), but it’s “just an essay,” so sometimes people are satisfied when the big litigious jerk gets blocked without checking whether the big litigious jerk has a point.