thekohser
Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Cheating and divorce

Unread post by thekohser » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:00 pm

Here are some nifty sentences from Wikipedia biographies of living people. None of these sentences have even a single footnote citation appended to them.
Austin dated Kathryn Burrhus throughout high school and college, and the two married on November 24, 1990. Nonetheless, Austin pursued a relationship with Jeannie Clark ("Lady Blossom"), with whom he was working.
His hosting job also cost him his marriage with Janice when he was linked to his "Magandang Tanghali Bayan" co-host Vanessa del Bianco. Janice and Estrada legally separated in 2001. The marriage was officially annulled on 2004.
While waiting for the job opening, Carolyn moved north to San Francisco, staying initially with an older married sister before finding temporary work and an apartment of her own. But five weeks after she left Denver, Neal re-entered her life and they resumed their romance. His marriage to Lu Anne was annulled on March 31, 1948, and the next day Carolyn and Neal were married.
Five years after her 1974 divorce, Radziwill became engaged to California hotel magnate Newton Cope, but the wedding was called off five minutes before the ceremony was to begin.
As a freshman at Moscow State University he once again fell in love with an older woman named Zhenya (Eugenia), moving in with her in a rented room of a communal apartment. Both his and her families disapproved of the torrid affair, which came to an end when Pozner flunked the final exams and was expelled from the university, although later his father managed to persuade the dean to reinstate him on a provisional basis.
My question is this... How long would similar unsourced claims about his personal life last on the Wikipedia biography of Jimmy Wales?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Fuzzgun '91
Contributor
Wikipedia Review Member: Ego Trippin' (Pt. 2)

Re: Cheating and divorce

Unread post by Fuzzgun '91 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:32 am

Wikipedia is worse than a supermarket tabloid. Those gossip rags will only publish salacious rumors about genuine celebrities, whereas one need only meet a nebulous "notability" standard to have one's dirty laundry aired on the Free Encyclopedia.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:27 pm

BLP-policies would not need revision, if all had nearly 3000 watchers.

(....but sometimes wikipedia seem to get it about right :evilgrin: :blink: )

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 pm

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:18 pm

I just found another string of allegations on Wikipedia that are not documented with inline footnote citations:
In May 2012, Kelley complained to an FBI investigator of being sent harassing emails by an anonymous woman. The FBI investigator was discovered to be an acquaintance who at some point sent her topless photos of himself and was forced off the case for what was termed an obsessive pursuit that caused supervisors to question the investigator's objectivity. Kelley later asked to no avail for the investigation to be stopped citing concerns she and her family might also come under scrutiny. This set off a chain of events that eventually led to the resignation of the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, David Petraeus on November 9, 2012.

The anonymous woman was identified as Petraeus biographer Paula Broadwell, who investigators discovered had been having an affair with Petraeus. During the course of that investigation, the FBI found that there were "thousands of emails" between Kelley and General John R. Allen, Petraeus's successor as top commander in Afghanistan. On November 13, 2012, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said that the nomination of Gen. Allen for the post of Supreme Allied Commander Europe would be delayed.
All this on a BLP that is currently under an "Articles for Deletion" review that is going about 85% in favor of "Keep".

Still no BLP about Carolyn Doran, though!

I wonder what Jimbo thinks about this very current biography with tons of media sources to reference, but nobody's bothering to cite any of the above. Someone ought to point it out to him, so that he can continue to be educated about how Wikipedia actually works in practice, contrary to his fictional claims:
"Right now we're tightly focused on making sure that, for example, the biographies are well sourced..." -- Jimmy Wales
"We want in the encyclopaedia to publish only reliable information that's confirmed in reliable third-party sources but what's interesting about this is that in the process of writing Wikipedia which we do publicly in an open....the editors need to have open and frank discussions about whether something has been verified or not, whether something is sufficiently confirmed to go in Wikipedia." -- Jimmy Wales
The unsourced tattling presented above is going on, right now, on a Wikipedia biography that will likely be viewed 30,000 times or more, today. I really want to know what Jimbo intends to do about it.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:12 am

Citizen journalism leaps into the fray!

...gnawing at the ankles of the story.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:28 pm

thekohser wrote:Here are some nifty sentences from Wikipedia biographies of living people. None of these sentences have even a single footnote citation appended to them.
Austin dated Kathryn Burrhus throughout high school and college, and the two married on November 24, 1990. Nonetheless, Austin pursued a relationship with Jeannie Clark ("Lady Blossom"), with whom he was working.
His hosting job also cost him his marriage with Janice when he was linked to his "Magandang Tanghali Bayan" co-host Vanessa del Bianco. Janice and Estrada legally separated in 2001. The marriage was officially annulled on 2004.
While waiting for the job opening, Carolyn moved north to San Francisco, staying initially with an older married sister before finding temporary work and an apartment of her own. But five weeks after she left Denver, Neal re-entered her life and they resumed their romance. His marriage to Lu Anne was annulled on March 31, 1948, and the next day Carolyn and Neal were married.
Five years after her 1974 divorce, Radziwill became engaged to California hotel magnate Newton Cope, but the wedding was called off five minutes before the ceremony was to begin.
As a freshman at Moscow State University he once again fell in love with an older woman named Zhenya (Eugenia), moving in with her in a rented room of a communal apartment. Both his and her families disapproved of the torrid affair, which came to an end when Pozner flunked the final exams and was expelled from the university, although later his father managed to persuade the dean to reinstate him on a provisional basis.
My question is this... How long would similar unsourced claims about his personal life last on the Wikipedia biography of Jimmy Wales?
None of these unsourced allegations have been removed, though some True Believers have been busy bees adding tags to the problematic content (rather than removing it), and they also find some time to buzz about Wikipediocracy.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:45 pm

thekohser wrote:None of these unsourced allegations have been removed, though some True Believers have been busy bees adding tags to the problematic content (rather than removing it), and they also find some time to buzz about Wikipediocracy.
And that is why you should never post stuff like this in a public area, no matter how bad it is.
Don't ever help the little bastards. Pass it to me for long-term preservation, whatever.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:04 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
thekohser wrote:None of these unsourced allegations have been removed, though some True Believers have been busy bees adding tags to the problematic content (rather than removing it), and they also find some time to buzz about Wikipediocracy.
And that is why you should never post stuff like this in a public area, no matter how bad it is.
Don't ever help the little bastards. Pass it to me for long-term preservation, whatever.
Nah, Greg's way is more fun.

Some with more free time than I should do a study of how effective these posts are in getting things fixed as opposed to, say, Jimmy's attention to the latest brunette.
This is not a signature.

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:42 am

EricBarbour wrote:
See, this is where I see a bit of a conundrum in the general anti-Wikipedia mentality of some here.

You believe that such things that exist in BLPs cause harm to the subject, yes? Yet you hate the standard Kool-Aid response of "sofixit" because that is exactly what the problem is; "anyone can edit" also means that anyone can edit badly, which is why vandalism exists and is pervasive. So if you do go and "just fix it", it proves them right than the system works/.

But if you sit here with your thumb up your ass knowingly letting harmful material remain, any point you have about actually caring about the well-being of these BLP subjects is kinda lost.

Analogous to this guy.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:48 am

Tarc wrote:You believe that such things that exist in BLPs cause harm to the subject, yes? Yet you hate the standard Kool-Aid response of "sofixit" because that is exactly what the problem is; "anyone can edit" also means that anyone can edit badly, which is why vandalism exists and is pervasive. So if you do go and "just fix it", it proves them right than the system works/.

But if you sit here with your thumb up your ass knowingly letting harmful material remain, any point you have about actually caring about the well-being of these BLP subjects is kinda lost.
No shit. I lose sleep over this every night. Boo hoo hoo.

Get flagged revs put on ALL BLPs, and I'll take your objection more seriously.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:52 am

EricBarbour wrote: Get flagged revs put on ALL BLPs, and I'll take your objection more seriously.
Its only a matter of time.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:32 am

Tarc wrote:Analogous to this guy.
Abbasi said he began running toward the scene and snapping pictures in hopes the flash of his camera would alert the conductor of the train.
I guess you don't see my flash above.