WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2018 Arbcom Election Time!

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2018 Arbcom Election T

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:33 am

Kumioko wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Bezdomni wrote:As an aspiring numerologist, I found it auspicious that The Wind Crying Isarra got 444 votes, that Fred's net vote was -333 and Gorilla Warfare's was +666.
WHERE IS YOUR INNOCENT LITTLE GW NOW, KUMIOKO? TREMBLE IN FEAR, FUTHERMUCKER, THE BEAST HAS BEEN REVEALED!!! (AND YOU ARE ON THE NOT NICE LIST!!!)

RfB
ROFL, Just because she got elected doesn't mean anything. I mean I voted for Fred...like a lot! Courcelles and AGK also both got elected and they are both horrible arbs and admins and both are horrible selections for arb!
Don't deflect from the fearsome truth...

linkhttp://thebookofrevelationmadeclear.com ... y/666.html[/link]

RfB

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:32 am

There's nothing wrong with having lots of "neutral" votes, in theory or in practice.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:40 am

Black Kite wrote:Four of mine got in (Mkdw, GW, SilkTork, Joe Roe)

Courcelles is a great editor when he's not an Arb. Hopefully he'll manage to combine the two this time.

AGK, who fucks off for three years, and just about managed 1,000 edits this year? Seriously? You're idiots.
I was surprised about AGK winding up where he did. I suspect that taking that time off actualy helped.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:56 am

Kingsindian wrote:There's nothing wrong with having lots of "neutral" votes, in theory or in practice.
Indeed - and the way Arbcom elections work is that if you want to support or oppose anybody on the ballot then your position for everybody on the ballot is recorded as S/N/O. Neutral is the 'default' and has no effect whatsoever on the maths used to calculate the outcome. If you couldn't choose neutral then you'd be forced to support/oppose candidates for whom you have no wish to do either, because you cannot decide or do not wish to opine. You could say "well, why not allow voters to only 'vote' for/against particular candidates?", but by basically ignoring neutral votes that's exactly what the system already does. Of course, this means that a neutral vote can be considered a "wasted" vote if you just want to have the maximum effect for candidates you support/oppose - but that's unavoidable unless you are willing to make that binary choice for each candidate. I think people might be unhappy with a system which forced them to say "yes" or "no" for every candidate in order to be able to do so for the one or two they might care about. It's just terminology - a neutral vote for a particular candidate is an abstention regarding them.

More 'interesting' might be a ballot where you selected between -5 and +5 for each candidate, including the default option of 0 (neutral). Each voter would still have the same potential influence on the result as any other - but the strength of support/opposition would also be a factor. At the moment there is no difference in the maths between "oppose, marginally, but I'm almost on the fence with this candidate" and "shit no, never, would be an absolute disaster". I expect lots of folks would just stick in all +5/-5 votes to try to give their opinion more 'weight', but the opportunity would be there for more nuanced voting, and this would be taken into account where used.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:04 am

Eric Corbett wrote:Sounds like you're really complaining about your theme.
I will try and find a better one then.
Globally banned after 7 years.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Kumioko wrote:ROFL, Just because she got elected doesn't mean anything. I mean I voted for Fred...like a lot! Courcelles and AGK also both got elected and they are both horrible arbs and admins and both are horrible selections for arb!
This leads to the question of why Kumioko assumes that he's right and the hundreds and hundreds of other people who voted are wrong. As a voter myself (only one vote), I feel insulted. :B'
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:14 pm

I was surprised to see Drmies not get enough votes. If I had to guess, it was his attitude toward civility, which differed from the other candidates and also reflected his own behavior.
For instance:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... _and_Cases
"Civility" encompasses so many things, and so many of those things are highly gradable? If I come to your house and you don't offer me coffee and cake, I might find you very uncivil--but I know that's my idea of civility, which includes hospitality. And some editors exchange and accept words and phrases in the give and take of debate that others find totally unacceptable. Given that wide range I don't think we'll ever come to some agreement over what is and what isn't civil.
Basically he's saying that there's no such thing as civility. He sure acts as if he doesn't accept the concept.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:24 pm

I am reasonably sure many many Wikipedians don't understand the concept, that's partly why Wikipedia is considered to be so toxic.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:30 pm

Dysklyver wrote:I am reasonably sure many many Wikipedians don't understand the concept, that's partly why Wikipedia is considered to be so toxic.
Very true. It may be hypothesised that the sort of people who edit Wikipedia regularly are more likely than average to be the sort of people who get on badly with others face to face.

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Drmies was also a pal of Jytdog, so his loss will not aid in the Dawg's Re-Entry Mission.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:08 pm

charliemouse wrote:Drmies was also a pal of Jytdog, so his loss will not aid in the Dawg's Re-Entry Mission.
Good!

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Kumioko wrote:
charliemouse wrote:Drmies was also a pal of Jytdog, so his loss will not aid in the Dawg's Re-Entry Mission.
Good!
Yeah I think the consensus is the the Dawg was a bully who liked to pick on newbies for fun, and he should never be allowed back because he is a real piece of work.

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:53 pm

Compare Drmies's response on civility to GorillaWarfare responding on the same point
I don't think we should be bending over backwards again and again to accommodate editors who aren't willing to put in the effort to work productively and civilly within the community.
That was a general comment but could have been used to describe Deputy Dawg.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:14 pm

charliemouse wrote:Compare Drmies's response on civility to GorillaWarfare responding on the same point
I don't think we should be bending over backwards again and again to accommodate editors who aren't willing to put in the effort to work productively and civilly within the community.
That was a general comment but could have been used to describe Deputy Dawg.
This is exactly the right attitude, and hopefully one that more people share now, given GW's excellent support results.

charliemouse
Critic

Unread post by charliemouse » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:48 pm

Overall good results. Happy to see DGG go. His comments on the Dawg were deranged.

Drmies was also a Winkelvi enabler. He is a highly educated man but his judgment is faulty.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Dysklyver wrote:This is exactly the right attitude, and hopefully one that more people share now, given GW's excellent support results.
Perhaps, but it does beg the question of how to numerically define the term "again and again."

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:48 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Dysklyver wrote:This is exactly the right attitude, and hopefully one that more people share now, given GW's excellent support results.
Perhaps, but it does beg the question of how to numerically define the term "again and again."
1. First instance
2. again
3. and again

It means three.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:17 am

charliemouse wrote:I was surprised to see Drmies not get enough votes. If I had to guess, it was his attitude toward civility, which differed from the other candidates and also reflected his own behavior.
For instance:
"Civility" encompasses so many things, and so many of those things are highly gradable? If I come to your house and you don't offer me coffee and cake, I might find you very uncivil--but I know that's my idea of civility, which includes hospitality. And some editors exchange and accept words and phrases in the give and take of debate that others find totally unacceptable. Given that wide range I don't think we'll ever come to some agreement over what is and what isn't civil.
Basically he's saying that there's no such thing as civility. He sure acts as if he doesn't accept the concept.
He's an asshole, and proud of it.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:09 am

Jim wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:Pretty sure I never would've gotten on if it was all faked. And if arbcom has anything to do with faking it they certainly didn't let me in on it.
Well, you would say that, wouldn't you? :whistle:
A cautionary tale about Buzz Aldrin (T-H-L) and a moon-landing denialist, with commentary by Bill Burr (T-H-L) (who uses salty language).
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:51 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:A cautionary tale about Buzz Aldrin (T-H-L) and a moon-landing denialist, with commentary by Bill Burr (T-H-L) (who uses salty language).
Heh. I hadn't seen that particular full video before, I don't think, but I've certainly seen a clip of the punch, so maybe I just saw part of the video. I cheered. Go, Buzz...

Sadly, I think only 4 of the 12 Moon walkers are still walking the Earth. :crying:

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:46 pm

charliemouse wrote:Drmies was also a Winkelvi enabler. He is a highly educated man but his judgment is faulty.
A good education doesn't always impart common sense. :angry:
Jim wrote:
Moral Hazard wrote:Sadly, I think only 4 of the 12 Moon walkers are still walking the Earth. :crying:
It's the best part of half a century since the last man on the Moon. Will any of them be alive to see the next human Moonwalker?

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Bezdomni wrote:As an aspiring numerologist, I found it auspicious that The Wind Crying Isarra got 444 votes, that Fred's net vote was -333 and Gorilla Warfare's was +666.
WHERE IS YOUR INNOCENT LITTLE GW NOW, KUMIOKO? TREMBLE IN FEAR, FUTHERMUCKER, THE BEAST HAS BEEN REVEALED!!! (AND YOU ARE ON THE NOT NICE LIST!!!)

[...]
Concerning futher numerological matters, a page I've edited extensively has had 555K views in the first fortnight of December. Surely this is a sign. But... of what?

I've pinged both Mr. and Ms. Warfare to the Daily Mail debate at RS/N in an effort to learn more...

edit: fixed link + grand-mère/grammaire
Last edited by Bezdomni on Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
los auberginos

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:12 pm

Bezdomni wrote:Surely this a sign. But... of what?
Perhaps it's a sign you need to stop obsessing over coincidental numbers? :B'

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:32 pm

hors sujet (but not really) concerning the Warfare family §:
los auberginos

Lir
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Lir

Unread post by Lir » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:40 pm

I remember when I was just a young innocent fourteen year old girl, Fred would try to mentor me in civility.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:03 pm

Jim wrote:
Moral Hazard wrote:A cautionary tale about Buzz Aldrin (T-H-L) and a moon-landing denialist, with commentary by Bill Burr (T-H-L) (who uses salty language).
Heh. I hadn't seen that particular full video before, I don't think, but I've certainly seen a clip of the punch, so maybe I just saw part of the video. I cheered. Go, Buzz...

Sadly, I think only 4 of the 12 Moon walkers are still walking the Earth. :crying:
"Pitbull mode" and "fixation" describe many accounts' behavior on Wikipedia.
Are there any examples of editors trying "to snap the dog out of it" [pitbull mode] on Wikipedia?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:34 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Voilá! One person voting 30 socks could take DGG from 5th place and in the money to 7th place and out of the money.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:29 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Voilá! One person voting 30 socks could take DGG from 5th place and in the money to 7th place and out of the money.
That's why voting is dangerous in a place where there is such a culture of anonymity.

Salvidrim
Critic
Wikipedia User: Salvidrim!
Actual Name: Ben Landry

Unread post by Salvidrim » Tue May 07, 2019 2:25 pm

Kingsindian wrote: On the other hand:
  • Salvidrim is, as I understand it, a bit of an "anti-privacy" guy: he prefers to be open about his online identity. He perhaps didn't appreciate GW's posts, but I doubt that he thought of it as "outing". He is a member here, and can clarify his stance.
  • Wikipedia outing policy is full of contradictions.
  • Opposition research is a standard part of all politics.
Very late to the party (wish there was some sort of ping notification function or posters here would give heads-up to people being discussed, I'm just an infrequent lurker after all)

Looking through my Reddit history was of course a form of "opposition research", there are no mental gymnastics around that; was it fine to look and point out shit? Yeah, probably, it's fair game. Can't be an open book and complain when people read what you post. Stung a bit to see it dissected so harshly but it's my own fault, one is accountable for what they put out there. There was no outing by GW; if anything I've been exceptionally thorough in "outing" myself as much as possible by interlinking all my info. I can't have https://salvidrim.net & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Salvidrim exist and ever complain about "outing"