WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2018 Arbcom Election Time!

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
No Ledge
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Re: WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2018 Arbcom Election T

Unread post by No Ledge » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:44 am

Russian Red - Tarantino

She should perform at a Wikiconference!
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:21 am

No Ledge wrote:Russian Red - Tarantino

I saw that, lol. She's quite good.

She also has an unrelated business in LA, in addition to flipping houses. How she manages to devote so much time to wp, I don't know.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:11 am

tarantino wrote:
No Ledge wrote:Russian Red - Tarantino

I saw that, lol. She's quite good.

She also has an unrelated business in LA, in addition to flipping houses. How she manages to devote so much time to wp, I don't know.
Maybe she has an assistant for that.

snarkily,

RfB

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:15 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:P.S. In addition to being a mechanism to identify committed Wikipedians, this also could be a tool used to identify socks, who are likely to be first-time voters. The way I would do that is to generate a list of voters 2013-2017 and then compare that to a list of 2018 voters to identify first time 2018 voters. That would be a list of 500 or whatever names that could be individually scrutinized.
Some first time voters would be peiple who have been around for some time and have only just accumulated sufficient votes to be eligible. Maybe they're slowly ripened socks, but quite possibly most are genuine.
I completely agree with that. But a stack of 500 to investigate is much more easy to manage than a stack of 2,100 to investigate.

The 2018 election has now topped the 2,000 voter mark and is thus the second most widely participated in election ever, despite Arbcom's diminished importance in the minds of many.

RfB
I believe this is caused by increased off-wiki advertising of the election, on social media and by email/chat apps, in a way that was not done in previous years.
Globally banned after 7 years.

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:37 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
SixOClock wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Is there any easy way to generate the same set as a database (or an Excel document) with the account name only in one field and a tally of total votes (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) in a second field?
CSV: https://paste.ee/p/PiTYV
Wow, thanks so much.

VERY interesting... There are only 345 editors out of the pool of 6228 (5.5%) who voted in 4 or 5 elections out of the last 5. That's WAY the hell lower than I would have guessed. Bumping the cut line to 3 votes out of the last 5 elections only brings the count of "true believers" to 757 (12.2%) -- which remains a minority of your typical 2,000-ish voter election.

In short, it is simply NOT the same group of people voting again and again in these elections, but a reservoir with almost equal inflows and outflows.

This further indicates to me a much higher degree of randomness in the participation than I expected (with the logical corollary that my predictions of outcome have been really, really lucky rather than a skilled reading of the tea leaves left by the insiders).* Alternatively, the level of sockpuppetry and multiple voting by insiders is higher than anyone ever anticipated.
[...]
I first toss out all the non-administrators and then parse results of past elections, with only half an eye to certain key voters' guides. If participation is in fact largely random, this methodology should not work.
Wide participation need not mean random participation and it need not mean that voter guides aren't influential. In particular, if most of the population is "low information" voters, they will be more influenced by the voter guides, not less.

Guido den Broeder
Critic
Wikipedia Review Member: Guido den Broeder

Unread post by Guido den Broeder » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:28 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
GorillaWarfare wrote:And yet somehow you're obsessed with trying to edit it again. Interesting takedown, there.
Also, I should probably address this point, and not for the first time I might add. Mr. Kumioko actually isn't obsessed with trying to edit WP again, he's obsessed with pointing out the injustice of his having been banned from editing WP - which is not the same thing (…)

Anger and frustration over an unjust website ban, especially after racking up a lengthy record of more-or-less worthwhile contributions, is a hard thing for people who haven't been through that experience to grasp. And I'm not just referring to Wikipedia; it could be almost any interactive/crowdsourced website, though wikis are especially susceptible to this problem.
Indeed. Why would you help a crowd that hates you.
To be fair though, many Wikipedians do realize this and have responded by trying to making their bans and other sanctions more "granular," i.e., topic bans and interaction bans rather than lengthy or indefinite blocks. To the extent that these techniques actually work, they should be commended for taking that approach. (A little too late for Mr. Kumioko, of course, but that's how it goes.)
As recent as 2017, I went straight to indeffed, when it appeared that a handful of people just didn't like to have me around for no valid reason whatsoever.

I have the same experience as Kumioko, with the difference that I edit under my own name. So when they couldn't fault me over my edits, they went digging into my private life and started fantasizing.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:48 am

Guido den Broeder wrote:
To be fair though, many Wikipedians do realize this and have responded by trying to making their bans and other sanctions more "granular," i.e., topic bans and interaction bans rather than lengthy or indefinite blocks. To the extent that these techniques actually work, they should be commended for taking that approach. (A little too late for Mr. Kumioko, of course, but that's how it goes.)
As recent as 2017, I went straight to indeffed, when it appeared that a handful of people just didn't like to have me around for no valid reason whatsoever.

I have the same experience as Kumioko, with the difference that I edit under my own name. So when they couldn't fault me over my edits, they went digging into my private life and started fantasizing.
I avoided a topic ban by making sure I was indeffed when it looked like one would pass, it is utterly pointless to edit while having to avoid editing an entire section of the encyclopedia. Now this is not to say topic bans are inherently bad, it's just that if an editor is so incompetent or POV pushing that they shouldn't edit one section, why do you still want them editing at all?

I can understand and support granular blocks however, to stop people edit warring and bickering over specific articles is a good idea and would be super helpful for AN3 processing. But granular blocks to ban someone from ANI or AFD is pointless wikilawyer.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am

[i]Voting in support[/i] of your own indef was a particularly nice touch :)
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:01 pm

C&B wrote:[i]Voting in support[/i] of your own indef was a particularly nice touch :)
I remember when Larry Sanger did that.

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:16 am

Results are out!

Joe Roe is a pleasant surprise to get in. Can't find Tim's predictions but this one wasn't called, right? Drmies and DGG out of the picture is also surprising, but this was a close race; in the end I suppose some of the arrogant sounding tones that some of them may project could have been the turn off.

TNT
Inactive

Unread post by TNT » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:05 am

Couple of good names in there (wb GorillaWarfare! <3), hopefully some who would have dealt with the Jytdog case properly.

You'll see me shitposting and calling out muppets
Or making remarks about latest sockpuppets

I dislike your harassment, so please keep this in mind:
You can be a good critic, while still being kind

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Boing! said Zebedee

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:56 am

Alex Shih wrote:Joe Roe is a pleasant surprise to get in.
Yes, he was a late support from me - a surprise, but a welcome one. It's nice to see someone who spends a lot of time doing actual intellectual stuff, and who seems to be in tune with actually pursuing knowledge, getting in.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:37 am

Alex Shih wrote:Joe Roe is a pleasant surprise to get in. Can't find Tim's predictions but this one wasn't called, right?
His initial predictions were posted here, and you're correct, he didn't give Mr. Roe much of a chance, and he didn't pick AGK or Mkdw either. Still, as we've always said, no one should use his predictions, nor those of any other Wikipediocracy members, as the basis for actual cash wagering. We have our own Las Vegas-based bookmaking operation for that.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:39 am

Oh I am so happy, Isarra beat Fred by almost 3 points!

:banana:

In other news, Drmies and DGG are now angry. :angry:
Screenshot_20181214_103800.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:54 am

Wow I'm surprised Fred got that many supports. 446 Support and 889 neutral. I'm also surprised Isarra did that poorly. I feel kinda bad for her.

It's also bad that no one got higher that 73%. That says a lot about how the community it feels about this crop

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:03 am

Kumioko wrote:Wow I'm surprised Fred got that many supports. 446 Support and 889 neutral. I'm also surprised Isarra did that poorly. I feel kinda bad for her.

It's also bad that no one got higher that 73%. That says a lot about how the community it feels about this crop
I think to some extend Fred got all the HTD votes from people who thought that having a recently desysoped sex-pest on Arbcom would have generated all the lulz. Exactly how that would have worked is a mystery we will never know, but it would have been interesting.

GorillaWarfare
Critic
Wikipedia User: GorillaWarfare
Actual Name: Molly White

Unread post by GorillaWarfare » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:23 am

GorillaWarfare wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
GorillaWarfare wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
GorillaWarfare wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:This illustrates a point I was making to a correspondent yesterday that GW is gonna be top vote-getter, in all likelihood — her NO votes are gonna be far fewer than in previous elections.
I debated over bringing this up because I don't want to seem to be fishing for compliments, but I figured I might as well since it would only be worse to do so after the election. I went from 77.10% support in the 2013 election to 65.86% in the 2015 election, a shift I'd attributed to becoming more outspoken and willing to be controversial as my tenure progressed. Since leaving the Committee I've definitely become even more so, especially since I haven't had to worry so much about people taking my comments as "from an arbitrator", so I expected my results to be middling or so as a result, with a genuine chance of not being elected. What makes you think that's not the case?
2015 was a superheated, partisan election. We were facing a slate that included Mark Bernstein, Kevin Gorman (rip), and others on a "civility" ticket that seemed to promise a forthcoming purge.

Fast forward to 2018 and Opabinia regalis is probably the single most popular figure on Arb Com. To say the climate has changed since 2015 doesn't start to touch it.

The insider who I was comparing notes with had you pegged for a 6th place finish due to the NO votes. I don't think it will be anything like that... In 2015 you were a whisker away from being the top YES vote-getter in the entire race, remember.

RfB
Fair, but 269 more oppose votes than the top vote getter pushed me down to 7th. I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again, but I suppose we'll see.
I would enjoy gambling $5 with you on the proposition that you are one of the top 3 finishers. My charity vs. yours.

RfB
Deal. http://www.bostonsforgottenfelines.org/donate is the group who rescued my dear friend Max, and who I've fostered for for a few years.

Well, a deal is a deal. I hope they use the cash on those oversized spring toys for cats, I've never met a cat who wasn't crazy for them.

EDIT: Wow, these images are huge. I tried to figure out how to resize images using the img tag but phpBB might be even less comprehensible than wikimarkup...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:01 pm

GorillaWarfare wrote: EDIT: Wow, these images are huge. I tried to figure out how to resize images using the img tag but phpBB might be even less comprehensible than wikimarkup...
Somewhat. There's some
tags that work like {{cob}} {{cot}} on Wikipedia, if you need to shrink stuff by hiding it.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:08 pm

Dysklyver wrote:
Kumioko wrote:Wow I'm surprised Fred got that many supports. 446 Support and 889 neutral. I'm also surprised Isarra did that poorly. I feel kinda bad for her.

I think to some extend Fred got all the HTD votes from people who thought that having a recently desysoped sex-pest on Arbcom would have generated all the lulz. Exactly how that would have worked is a mystery we will never know, but it would have been interesting.
Well I voted for him over 30 times for that reason. :-)

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:10 pm

Kumioko wrote:Wow I'm surprised Fred got that many supports. 446 Support and 889 neutral.
No kidding. I would love to see exit polling on that decision. Probably something like:

41% - HTD/for the lulz
23% - Would like to see him crack some heads, civility wise
21% - Sympathy/pity for the way he got reverted, blocked, emergency-desysopped, almost banned, and ArbCom'ed
8% - Nostalgic for the Wikipedia of old
3% - Unfamiliar with AC elections and think you're supposed to support everyone on the ballot like those corporate board of directors election proxies stockholders get
2% - Misclick
1.8% - Intoxicated
0.2% - Are Fred
Last edited by Mason on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm

Yeah and if I were Isarra or Lourdes right now I would be pretty down!

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:13 pm

It seems Tim only got 3/6 correct this year. TDA seems to have gotten 5/6. I don't know if Crowsnest made a prediction.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Kumioko wrote:Yeah and if I were Isarra or Lourdes right now I would be pretty down!
I'm certainly sorry that Lourdes didn't make it.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:41 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Kumioko wrote:Yeah and if I were Isarra or Lourdes right now I would be pretty down!
I'm certainly sorry that Lourdes didn't make it.
I think Lourdes could have been good on Arbcom, but maybe it's for the best.

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:18 pm

For those interested:

Crowsnest's report
T. D. Adler's report

Both make some very interesting points.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm

Dysklyver wrote:For those interested:

Crowsnest's report
T. D. Adler's report

Both make some very interesting points.
A first time for everything I suppose.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Dysklyver wrote:Oh I am so happy, Isarra beat Fred by almost 3 points!

:banana:

In other news, Drmies and DGG are now angry. :angry:
Screenshot_20181214_103800.png
And I'm knocked way the hell off the surfboard. Alas...

I sort of knew I was screwed when we did the analysis of repeat voters during the vote inspection period.

All administrators won again, no surprise. One thing I have gained an appreciation is the potential power of sock armies in this process. Let's say that a sock master who REALLY hates a couple arbs controls 30 socks.

The result for DGG was 866 for, 382 against...... 866/1248 = 0.6939

Now if our politically-motivated sockmaster only voted once, instead of 30 times, it would be 866 for, 353 against.... 866/1219 = 0.7104

Voilá! One person voting 30 socks could take DGG from 5th place and in the money to 7th place and out of the money.

Controversial arbs are at the greatest risk of being attacked by sock armies.

At the other end of the spectrum is somebody like Mkdw, whom I described in my voters' guide as "someone who REALLY likes vanilla pudding." Lots of neutrals, ya, over 1000 voters couldn't be arsed to support or oppose. But in a straight election, his 763 support votes for our ostensible Top Winner are enough to finish....... 7th, and out of the money!

Completely uncontroversial administrators are the greatest beneficiaries of this system...

RfB
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:09 pm

GorillaWarfare wrote:
Well, a deal is a deal. I hope they use the cash on those oversized spring toys for cats, I've never met a cat who wasn't crazy for them.

EDIT: Wow, these images are huge. I tried to figure out how to resize images using the img tag but phpBB might be even less comprehensible than wikimarkup...
............and I owe Arthur five bucks on the Fred Bauder/Isarra prop bet. Payment instructions please.

That turned out a lot closer than I thought it would be.

tim

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Mason wrote:
Kumioko wrote:Wow I'm surprised Fred got that many supports. 446 Support and 889 neutral.
No kidding. I would love to see exit polling on that decision. Probably something like:

41% - HTD/for the lulz
23% - Would like to see him crack some heads, civility wise
21% - Sympathy/pity for the way he got reverted, blocked, emergency-desysopped, almost banned, and ArbCom'ed
8% - Nostalgic for the Wikipedia of old
3% - Unfamiliar with AC elections and think you're supposed to support everyone on the ballot like those corporate board of directors election proxies stockholders get
2% - Misclick
1.8% - Intoxicated
0.2% - Are Fred
Best post of the month!

RfB

Black Kite
Regular
Wikipedia User: Black Kite

Unread post by Black Kite » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:34 pm

Four of mine got in (Mkdw, GW, SilkTork, Joe Roe)

Courcelles is a great editor when he's not an Arb. Hopefully he'll manage to combine the two this time.

AGK, who fucks off for three years, and just about managed 1,000 edits this year? Seriously? You're idiots.

Boing! said Zebedee
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Boing! said Zebedee

Unread post by Boing! said Zebedee » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:58 pm

Three of my picks got in - two I expected (GorillaWarfare, SilkTork) and one was a pleasant surprise (Joe Roe)

I supported Robert McClenon and Isarra but didn't expect them to get in, and they didn't.

And my last pick, Drmies, I was surprised to see fail. I know some people don't like him, but I thought he'd make it.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Black Kite wrote:Four of mine got in (Mkdw, GW, SilkTork, Joe Roe)

Courcelles is a great editor when he's not an Arb. Hopefully he'll manage to combine the two this time.

AGK, who fucks off for three years, and just about managed 1,000 edits this year? Seriously? You're idiots.
I agree he is a good editor and he should stick to that because he is a lousy arb and admin. He should really stick to what he's good at.

I agree about AGK. He is a hat collector and I anticipate him spending most of his time on the inactive roster. How people actually voted for him is a mystery to me.
Boing! said Zebedee wrote:Three of my picks got in - two I expected (GorillaWarfare, SilkTork) and one was a pleasant surprise (Joe Roe)

I supported Robert McClenon and Isarra but didn't expect them to get in, and they didn't.

And my last pick, Drmies, I was surprised to see fail. I know some people don't like him, but I thought he'd make it.
I wasn't surprised to see Drmies fail at all. Once Fram started calling him out for socking, I knew it was all over. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Drmies isn't run out of the project before long for his conduct outside Wikipedia.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:47 pm

Boing! said Zebedee wrote:Three of my picks got in - two I expected (GorillaWarfare, SilkTork) and one was a pleasant surprise (Joe Roe)

I also supported McClenon and Isarra on general principles, but neither had much of a chance in that field.

I was 1-for-2 on those I really wanted to win (Silk Tork+, Drmies-) and 1-for-2 on those I really wanted to lose (Courcelles-, DGG+).

I think Goodman losing made the whole election from my perspective about as good a result as I could have hoped for. He is becoming a loose cannon...

RfB

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:10 pm

IMO the entire candidate pool was a joke! it was full of people who either had already been arbs or who had no chance of getting elected.

So I think we can make some observations about the arbcom elections:

- The people who want to be on it mostly are the only ones who want to be
- The community generally doesn't think very highly of most of the candidates since none had more than a 73.79% pass rate and several were under 40%.
- The community doesn't seem to want to elect people who haven't been arbs before (of course with some outliers)
- Having more support votes doesn't matter because Drmies and DGG had the second and third most supports and didn't get elected.

All in all I think we can expect the same out of this group as we got from the last 5 or so...almost nothing of use to anyone!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:16 pm

Kumioko wrote:
All in all I think we can expect the same out of this group as we got from the last 5 or so...almost nothing of use to anyone!
As long as they pursue a limited caseload and do a reasonable job of accepting all valid related cases and smacking down those who abuse the administrative tools, one shouldn't complain too much. Additionally, they have been timely during the last couple years, a nice change.

RfB

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Kumioko wrote:
As long as they pursue a limited caseload and do a reasonable job of accepting all valid related cases and smacking down those who abuse the administrative tools, one shouldn't complain too much. Additionally, they have been timely during the last couple years, a nice change.

RfB
It's true they have been more timely but that IMO is based on the fact they have done almost nothing to slow them down. The motto of Arbcom the last couple years seems to be:
"If you don't do anything, you can't get blamed for anything".

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:24 pm

As an aspiring numerologist, I found it auspicious that The Wind Crying Isarra got 444 votes, that Fred's net vote was -333 and Gorilla Warfare's was +666.

perhaps less futile: For those of you who have WordPress (instead of being wikipediant communitah members worshipping your gamergates), Genderdesk has just released what seems to be important info based on my previous struggles with the new Gutenberg1 blocks. ^^

edit: 1 Cf. Johann Fust (T-H-L)
Last edited by Bezdomni on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
los auberginos

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:59 pm

Kumioko wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Kumioko wrote:

RfB
It's true they have been more timely but that IMO is based on the fact they have done almost nothing to slow them down. The motto of Arbcom the last couple years seems to be:
"If you don't do anything, you can't get blamed for anything".
Presumably the Wikipedian hatchet squad will eventually get wise to that and blame them for not doing anything. Alas that could be the end of Arbcom excpet that regular elections mean it can technically change.

Wikiguy.DC
Critic
Wikipedia User: DC

Unread post by Wikiguy.DC » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:09 pm

Five of the six candidates to get in got more neutral votes than support. What a joke.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Bezdomni wrote:perhaps less futile: For those of you who have WordPress (instead of being wikipediant communitah members worshipping your gamergates), Genderdesk has just released what seems to be important info based on my previous struggles with the new Gutenberg1 blocks. ^^

edit: 1 Cf. Johann Fust (T-H-L)
That's just the usual Genderdesk misinformation. Blocks work fine, they're a big improvement over the traditional editor, and I've been using them for months. (You ought to have been alerted to the fact that the article is rubbish by the fact that although it pretends to be about version 5.0 the screenshot actually shows the beta Gutenberg plugin.) That some incompetent has no idea what they're doing is hardly much of a surprise.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:41 pm

I don't disagree that in principle it will be a "good thing" eventually; but last I explored it they were awkward... at best. cf. my nascent blob. I'm sure encyclopedia Art can weigh in with more auctoritas... ^^

and you?
los auberginos

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Bezdomni wrote:I don't disagree that in principle it will be a "good thing" eventually; but last I explored it they were awkward... at best. cf. my nascent blob. I'm sure encyclopedia Art can weigh in with more auctoritas... ^^

and you?
I've probably been using Wordpress blocks for almost as long as anyone, and I don't need anyone to confirm what I already know from my own experience.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:17 pm

Bezdomni wrote:As an aspiring numerologist, I found it auspicious that The Wind Crying Isarra got 444 votes, that Fred's net vote was -333 and Gorilla Warfare's was +666.
Wikiguy.DC wrote:Five of the six candidates to get in got more neutral votes than support. What a joke.
Next year when I run I expect I'll get 1058 votes. That would be a thousand more than the 58 supports I got in 2014. While I'd prefer support votes, I'd settle for 1058 neutral votes. Fred shouldn't feel too bad for finishing last; he easily topped the 17.74% I got.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:46 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Bezdomni wrote:I don't disagree that in principle it will be a "good thing" eventually; but last I explored it they were awkward... at best. cf. my nascent blob. I'm sure encyclopedia Art can weigh in with more auctoritas... ^^

and you?
I've probably been using Wordpress blocks for almost as long as anyone, and I don't need anyone to confirm what I already know from my own experience.
I also use said wordpress blocks since they were rolled out to wordpress.com sites and it is an excellent visual representation of how a modern HTML5 page is actually structured. Obviously Ms. Jurassic wants to write a single cohesive page, but that simply isn't how the web works now. If indeed it ever did.

I never found any issue with blocks other than a lack of image options, which is kinda meh. But it's otherwise very nice.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:02 pm

Dysklyver wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:

and you?
I also use said wordpress blocks since they were rolled out to wordpress.com sites and it is an excellent visual representation of how a modern HTML5 page is actually structured. Obviously Ms. Jurassic wants to write a single cohesive page, but that simply isn't how the web works now. If indeed it ever did.

I never found any issue with blocks other than a lack of image options, which is kinda meh. But it's otherwise very nice.
This is completely off topic I know, but what image options do you think are missing?

Dysklyver
Cornishman

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Dysklyver wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:

and you?

This is completely off topic I know, but what image options do you think are missing?
Ok so say I edit a wordpress page, and it looks like this:
Screenshot_20181214_215658.png
Which is great, but preview on a phone:
Screenshot_20181214_220454.png
Nope, it should be scaling automatically to centre at a reasonable viewpoint, because otherwise the image crushes the text to the side. And this autoscaling should be an easy button click instead of setting custom css as a workaround.

Basically, I want a menu to customise the mobile layout instead of just the desktop layout, mobile first is important and this editing software does not really make that as easy for images as it does for text.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:00 am

Sounds like you're really complaining about your theme.

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:44 am

Black Kite wrote:Four of mine got in (Mkdw, GW, SilkTork, Joe Roe)

Yeah, I also get the impression that Courcelles is quite willing to be decisive in backroom chatters, unlike many of those who'd go on and on but unwilling to take any action nor responsibility (along the lines of "if I was just administrator, I would have..." kind of stuff).

AGK strikes me as out of touch and needlessly verbose (without really getting to the point of dispute) with some heavy touch of bureaucracy. But I like their idea of making the folks in the backroom accountable for their roles, so we'll see. In either case all five (except for Mkdw) are likely going to be freely challenging some of the grotesque elements of the current committee.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:23 am

Bezdomni wrote:As an aspiring numerologist, I found it auspicious that The Wind Crying Isarra got 444 votes, that Fred's net vote was -333 and Gorilla Warfare's was +666.
WHERE IS YOUR INNOCENT LITTLE GW NOW, KUMIOKO? TREMBLE IN FEAR, FUTHERMUCKER, THE BEAST HAS BEEN REVEALED!!! (AND YOU ARE ON THE NOT NICE LIST!!!)

RfB

linkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzdjMLKKdgk[/link]
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:27 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
WHERE IS YOUR SWEET LITTLE GW NOW, KUMIOKO? TREMBLE IN FEAR, FUTHERMUCKER, THE BEAST HAS BEEN REVEALED!!! (AND YOU ARE ON THE NOT NICE LIST!!!)

RfB
ROFL, Just because she got elected doesn't mean anything. I mean I voted for Fred...like a lot! Courcelles and AGK also both got elected and they are both horrible arbs and admins and both are horrible selections for arb!