SashiRolls requests a hearing

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: SashiRolls requests a hearing

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:49 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:44 pm
A few are now indeffed, others have left due to conflict with other people, some have been courtesy vanished or had their username changed due to multiple conflicts they've been involved in, with active sanctions on their renamed accounts.
If this were the standard, I'd have been welcomed back to en.wp a decade ago.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:07 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:49 pm

If this were the standard, I'd have been welcomed back to en.wp a decade ago.
Erm... procedurally, I think you have to actually ask, then be simmered in a hot soup tureen for the better part of a month. It's great fun communing with the softening veggies and bone marrow, you should try it! :evilgrin:
los auberginos

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:36 pm

SFRs close seems like it is probably a fair description of consensus, but I can't say I would personally ever support an unban that was only ok even with a lot of supporters if there are six topic bans attached to it. That's almost guaranteed to become a time sink quagmire, to nobody's benefit, including Sashi.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:13 pm

The two newly added sanctions were obviously not evidence-based or merited, but should placate a couple or three opposers. I would have just gone with the strong consensus for no new sanctions among the supporters, but it's no big deal. I won't write about Bulgakov (cf. my pseudo) or about Polish jazz (cf. my website1) until the time is right to revisit the obvious overreach. No biggy. SFR did his best to listen to everyone, even a tiny but very vocal minority.

1: the shining star of the album ("Sandy" ) is not available at Bandcamp.
los auberginos

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:32 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:13 pm
The two newly added sanctions were obviously not evidence-based or merited, but should placate a couple or three opposers. I would have just gone with the strong consensus for no new sanctions among the supporters, but it's no big deal. I won't write about Bulgakov (cf. my pseudo) or about Polish jazz (cf. my website1) until the time is right to revisit the obvious overreach. No biggy. SFR did his best to listen to everyone, even a tiny but very vocal minority.

1: the shining star of the album ("Sandy" ) is not available at Bandcamp.
With all of that baggage, what on earth compels you to want to edit on en.wp?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:04 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:32 pm
With all of that baggage, what on earth compels you to want to edit on en.wp?
Have you ever read Junkie ? Let me at the wixycontin... Bags? Where I'm going I don't need no stinkin' bags. :evilgrin:

Or, as Boing! put it (much more nicely) on Christmas day... passion. Writing while you learn is fun, especially in your native language. Watching others co-augment as they learn/teach is also nice work when you can find it.

The original impetus, though, was on Commons.... the ban on en.wp was harming me elsewhere (I asked for "mover" status over there so I could stop pestering people to fix a misspelling or otherwise mistaken file name). It was time to have the shunning either reaffirmed or undone, so I wrote a memo, and it came undone. :o

While I recognize most of your posts these days aren't about en.wp or the WMF, you have a bit of passion for the subject, at least judging from your post count. So I guess I'm in company.

It took a while to respond because I had to listen to that album again to see if "Sandy" really was the shining star of the CD or one among many. It's definitely only one among many.
los auberginos

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:48 am

I don't know if you know this, but they ... hate ... you there.

ancientofmumoo
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Ceoil

Unread post by ancientofmumoo » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:09 am

Vigilant wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:48 am
High maintenance costs.

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:37 am

Vigilant wrote:
Oh bother. And there was me thinking that the vast majority of en.wp contributors didn't have the faintest clue I existed. That said your "they" could mean "those who matter". Chef Gusto whispers in my ear in his so-fake French accent: "but you know what I always say - - anyone can be matter."

I think I'd be wise to let this discussion go while waiting for my still-under-warranty power supply to arrive (speaking of maintenance costs). Before this thread was restarted, it's true I was privately warned to be wary of the flash of sharp knives that cut power cords justlikethat. FWIW, I was also reminded to be nice. ^_^
los auberginos

jf1970
Muted

Unread post by jf1970 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:11 am

Vigilant wrote:
It's as if he doesn't care what they think and isn't doing this to make friends. :shrug:

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:29 am

jf1970 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:11 am
Vigilant wrote:
It's as if he doesn't care what they think and isn't doing this to make friends. :shrug:
And if Wikipedia wasn't primary an environment that required collaboration on quite a few levels with other people, that would be fine. You don't need to make friends to be able to work with them. The problem is if you alienate people too much they are unable to work with you, and if there are more of them, they are not the ones who will be ejected.