WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2017 Arbcom Election Time!

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Salvidrim
Critic
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Salvidrim!
Actual Name: Ben Landry

Re: WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2017 Arbcom Election T

Unread post by Salvidrim » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:25 pm

JCM wrote:
Casliber wrote:When you are on the committee there is always a steady stream of emails. Even when there is not much happening on wiki. Thankfully now not as many as in 2009 but still many that require thought and discussion.
Vague, nonspecific details would be welcome as a lot of us outsiders have no clue what such emails would be about.
50% Someone calling WMF staffers pedophiles
45% other long-term banned editors or sockmasters saying they were wrongly blocked
5% useful stuff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:33 pm

Perhaps WO can get a WMF grant for providing an outlet for such energies?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:39 pm

JCM wrote:
Casliber wrote:When you are on the committee there is always a steady stream of emails. Even when there is not much happening on wiki. Thankfully now not as many as in 2009 but still many that require thought and discussion.
Vague, nonspecific details would be welcome as a lot of us outsiders have no clue what such emails would be about.
Take a guess - and no not those listed by Salvidrim.

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:31 am

Casliber wrote:
JCM wrote:
Take a guess - and no not those listed by Salvidrim.
word

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:35 am

I just use the spam filters to push the death threats and crazy emails I get into spam folders.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 am

Zoloft wrote:I just use the spam filters to push the death threats and crazy emails I get into spam folders.
They are not the problem. Nonsense can be deleted with the flick of a button. But much of it is thought-provoking. That takes time to digest and ruminate over.

It was especially challenging in 2009 as I was in Australia, alot of discussion would happen when I was asleep, and then wake up at 6am with a ****ton of emails to look at....

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Since my name was mentioned specifically above I want to clarify something and you can choose to believe me or not but that is just one of several examples of someone Joe Jobbing me over the past several months. Some people already know about this and it has happened multiple times in the past to my credit as well. It can be seen on Email, Reddit, on some alternate wiki sites and others.

Now having said that, since the morally weak and self serving nitwits of the Arbcom and the WMF decided to ban me, as a massively high output and dedicated editor who did more to improve Wikipedia than most of them every will, I don't really care either. If someone wants to send those emails posing as me, It's not really my problem anymore since they banned me. Especially since the James Alexander imposed WMF ban I will never be allowed to edit again there really is nothing they can do to me at this point.

Now if I hadn't been forced out of the WMF projects by self serving nitwits I would certainly care, because I would still be doing thousands of edits a week to improve Wikipedia, but now, not so much. I say let them have their fun.

Salvidrim
Critic

Unread post by Salvidrim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:34 pm

Kumioko wrote:Since my name was mentioned specifically above I want to clarify something and you can choose to believe me or not but that is just one of several examples of someone Joe Jobbing me over the past several months. Some people already know about this and it has happened multiple times in the past to my credit as well. It can be seen on Email, Reddit, on some alternate wiki sites and others.

Now having said that, since the morally weak and self serving nitwits of the Arbcom and the WMF decided to ban me, as a massively high output and dedicated editor who did more to improve Wikipedia than most of them every will, I don't really care either. If someone wants to send those emails posing as me, It's not really my problem anymore since they banned me. Especially since the James Alexander imposed WMF ban I will never be allowed to edit again there really is nothing they can do to me at this point.

Now if I hadn't been forced out of the WMF projects by self serving nitwits I would certainly care, because I would still be doing thousands of edits a week to improve Wikipedia, but now, not so much. I say let them have their fun.
Are you saying the kumioko@aol.com address is not you but someone joe-jobbing you?

(Sorry if this is veering off-topic away from ArbCom2017)

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:45 pm

Nope that one is indeed not me, but I also know that most of the WMFers, Arbs and other assorted nitwits don't believe me when I say that either.

For what it's worth though, I found out about that Email from a friend who still works at the WMF who is apparently one of the people on the Email list those are being sent to. So not everyone at the WMF nor in the community is dumb enough to believe every single account on the internet with Kumioko is actually me. But it makes it easy for the losers to justify why I should be banned. Personally, I don't know who did it for sure but I think it's someone who like me has been screwed over by the WMF or the Arbcom using my name. But just a guess.

I mean my loathing for the WMF's and Arbcom's incompetence is legendary, but the language on those emails isn't my style.

Salvidrim
Critic

Unread post by Salvidrim » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Kumioko wrote:Nope that one is indeed not me, but I also know that most of the WMFers, Arbs and other assorted nitwits don't believe me when I say that either.

For what it's worth though, I found out about that Email from a friend who still works at the WMF who is apparently one of the people on the Email list those are being sent to. So not everyone at the WMF nor in the community is dumb enough to believe every single account on the internet with Kumioko is actually me. But it makes it easy for the losers to justify why I should be banned. Personally, I don't know who did it for sure but I think it's someone who like me has been screwed over by the WMF or the Arbcom using my name. But just a guess.

I mean my loathing for the WMF's and Arbcom's incompetence is legendary, but the language on those emails isn't my style.
FWIW that address has already been reported to AOL for TOS violations (harassment / spam) but you might wanna add an impersonation report I guess https://postmaster.aol.com/faq

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:58 pm

Yeah I figured it would be eventually but I'm not going to waste my time helping people who screwed me over, don't care about the projects success or the community. Frankly I suspect that won't be the last one if it gets shut down since there are plenty of free email providers on the internet these days so I would just be playing whack a mole anyway.

GorillaWarfare
Critic
Wikipedia User: GorillaWarfare
Actual Name: Molly White

Unread post by GorillaWarfare » Tue May 15, 2018 6:58 am

This is ridiculously late but I am just now, six months later, seeing this thread after ending up here for an unrelated reason. I always forget that the only way to know if people have asked for your input here is for them to message you privately (which hopefully sends an email notification) or for you to search your name (which doesn't). Guess I'm spoiled by Wikipedia's ping functionality these days, or at least the habit of logging in often enough to check my watchlist. Did want to address a few things, now that I'm here.
CrowsNest wrote:The recent Joefromrandb case shows it makes no sense for GW to feel like her work is done, even if she was bored.
I wasn't bored, though I was definitely a bit burnt out. The email volume to the ArbCom is pretty astronomical.
CrowsNest wrote:Keilana was a new entrant in 2015, and is stepping down after just one term, which wasn't exactly a busy one. That's not normal turnover even in busier times, not that I recall anyway. She will definitely have reasons for leaving other than feeling a bit tired.
Regarding Keilana, I think it's important to remember that she is in medical school... I personally was amazed at how much time she did have for the ArbCom.
CrowsNest wrote:No idea why Lokshin rescued there, but would be amazed if he wouldn't have been in agreement with GW. Keilana wasn't around, so that tells me whatever she was doing must have been pretty important to miss out, or she saw the writing on the wall thanks to Opabina's lengthy intervention, and therefore realised the futility of getting involved to echo GW's thoughts. This thus supports the idea she stood down for the same reasons.
It's an interesting view, but I am not diametrically opposed to Opabinia as your posts seem to imply. She and I actually agree quite a lot. I was actually surprised to see this take here; maybe it'll go to show that us women don't always vote alike :)
Kumioko wrote:Personally I think GorillaWarfare is worthless as an arb. She rarely does anything other than just go with the flow. She frequently recuses herself and most of the work she does for the Arbcom is simple, quick comments. The most useful thing she ever did is give the WMF and the community the excuse that they voted a female into the committee.
https://twitter.com/molly0x57/status/992452524492894211
CrowsNest wrote:Being ready for some time off after years on the bench only really plausibly explains GorillaWarfare's decision, since she had served two back to back terms. But I put it to people that if she was just stepping down because she was tired, she would have simply said so. Her silence on her reasons seems pointed, and while she has always been an outspoken girl, she's probably learned by now that there's no reason to speak her mind on Wikipedia, if it doesn't achieve anything.

Her telling people she was stepping down because, for example, it is a complete joke for ArbCom to be putting people like The Rambling Man on a final warning, only to have the community ignore it, and even threaten and bully anyone who attempts to enforce it, including her, is an utter farce, seems like something the community would happily ignore. And now, the make up of the panel is even more favourable to those who think TRM is an asset to Wikipedia and want him to run free, like a bird.

Both Keilana and Gorilla Warfare would have seen from this year's slate well in advance of their decision to stand down, that at best the number of women was only going to remain static. And yet they still walked. You don't do that if you're just tired.

And I repeat, tired from that? The panel did virtually nothing these last two years. Easiest time for ArbCom since the early 2000s. There's more here to this, way more.
This sounds sort of exciting and political, but I'm afraid it's actually not. I won't speak for Keilana other than to say that she's in med school and it's pretty amazing she managed her previous level of involvement with the ArbCom.

As for me, I definitely had my frustrations with the ArbCom; I think every arbitrator (current and past) would say the same. But if you want the real reason I chose not to run again, it's because I was promoted at work to lead a team of software engineers (previously I was a software engineer working as an individual contributor). This left me with considerably less time to work on ArbCom issues, especially as I was getting acquainted with the role. My silence is not "pointed", I just haven't been asked about it onwiki or elsewhere (until I saw this).

I joined the ArbCom when I was in college and had a fair amount of spare time. When I graduated and began working full-time as a software engineer I was able to maintain my activity. Once I found myself leading a team of engineers, the time split simply wasn't possible—it wasn't that I was spending considerably more time working, I just was spending much more time at work on the sort of emotional labor that the ArbCom required, and I didn't have the capacity for both. I was paid and acknowledged for the one, so ArbCom fell by the wayside. Maybe someday I'll become such a masterful tech lead that I have the capacity to be an arbitrator in addition to my professional life and my personal life, but the professional and personal will always take priority, and right now I'm happy with my balance of those two lives. Plus editing Wikipedia is much more fun when you're not an arbitrator.

Tangentially, I think I've written before (have I? or maybe it was just venting privately) about how I worry about the ArbCom, because the volunteer workload is only feasible for those with an abundance of free time: its seats are often more available to young people, students, the unemployed, those who don't need to work, and retirees, not to mention additional factors like geography. This constrains the demographics of arbitrators quite dramatically, and to the detriment of the project.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue May 15, 2018 2:37 pm

Welcome back GW. I don't think a random link to an unrelated twitter post means much, for context you might need to explain. Which pretty much proves my point above that you were responding to.

Salvidrim
Critic

Unread post by Salvidrim » Tue May 15, 2018 2:55 pm

Kumioko wrote:Welcome back GW. I don't think a random link to an unrelated twitter post means much, for context you might need to explain. Which pretty much proves my point above that you were responding to.
Someone needs to actually read stuff before criticizing....
Kumioko wrote:The most useful thing she ever did is give the WMF and the community the excuse that they voted a female into the committee.
GorillaWarfare's link wrote: I'm going to have to breakdown why you shouldn't refer to women as females

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue May 15, 2018 3:37 pm

Oh I read it, but I wasn't sure what casual inference she was trying to make but it makes sense that she would pick that ridiculous argument and not bother to explain it or give any context.

It's a stupid argument to say women shouldn't be referred to as females. If people get offended at that, they need to grow up and get a life! It's like getting upset because someone calls their Prius a car!

I certainly don't get offended when someone calls me a man, dude, gentlemen, male, etc. and most women don't really care either. Those that do are largely just attention seeking trolls IMO.

I'm not going to use some stupid made up word like Xe, Ze or some other make believe gender and if that offends some people like GW than so be it, I'm already banned because James Alexander wants to make a point about criticizing admins or the WMF, so what more really can they do to me and I no longer have to prove anything to anyone on that site, including GW.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Wed May 16, 2018 11:03 am

GorillaWarfare wrote:its seats are often more available to young people, students, the unemployed, those who don't need to work, and retirees, not to mention additional factors like geography.
I would be interested in learning more about what you mean by the highlighted points.

I would also of course be curious if you have comments about your role in the decisions concerning Cirt / Sagecandor (after the 2016 elections) & Snooganssnoogans (during the 2016 elections). I see that the latter is getting better at "writing for the enemy" from his recent work on Dennis Kucinich (T-H-L). (He's written about 8 times more than the next most frequent human contributor, so it looks like this risks becoming *his* entry on Kucinich.) Someday maybe no ledge will come back over here and talk more about sty-wardin'.

Congrats on your promotion, by the way. I'll bet you're glad not to have to deal with all that/those infoboxin'.

ps... I saw Renée had some questions for you over here, but is too shy to come to WPO these days.
pps... I've always been curious... are you the original user-creator of the term "clueful"? While I personally prefer "clue-y", I'm always curious about generative/generational derivational morphology. ^^
los auberginos

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Thu May 17, 2018 8:56 pm

Regarding the PPS: never mind, I guess cluëditude has a l-o-n-g-i-s-h pedigree. There's a whole host of example sentences over at the OLD.
los auberginos

Auggie
Regular

Unread post by Auggie » Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi Molly. Congrats on your promotion and for getting out of ArbCom. Take a few steps back and you will see that your time is better spent doing just about anything else.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu May 31, 2018 3:49 am

Welcome back, Gorillawarfare.

Feel free to ignore sniping from the peanut gallery.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

GorillaWarfare
Critic

Unread post by GorillaWarfare » Thu May 31, 2018 7:42 pm

Bezdomni wrote:
GorillaWarfare wrote:its seats are often more available to young people, students, the unemployed, those who don't need to work, and retirees, not to mention additional factors like geography.
I would be interested in learning more about what you mean by the highlighted points.
Ah, it was only til I went to reply that I saw you highlighted "those who don't need to work" and "geography" — low contrast. The first part (before "not to mention") is really just a list of types of people who tend to have more free time than others. "Those who don't need to work" could be a lot of things—people living off investments, savings, or inheritance, or who have family/etc. who provide for them. To be clear, I'm not trying to imply any arbitrators were members of this specific group—I actually don't know of any that were. As for geography, I was commenting on how the ArbCom tends to be fairly geographically uniform—a lot of folks in the US, Canada, or the UK. This probably somewhat reflects the overall makeup of the editing community, but it would be nice to get a bit more cultural diversity in there. Unfortunately there's the whole other issue of trying to work in on a Committee spread across very different timezones, but it's nothing that hasn't been done before.
Bezdomni wrote:I would also of course be curious if you have comments about your role in the decisions concerning Cirt / Sagecandor (after the 2016 elections) & Snooganssnoogans (during the 2016 elections).
I don't have comments about that, no.
Bezdomni wrote:Congrats on your promotion, by the way. I'll bet you're glad not to have to deal with all that/those infoboxin'.
Thanks! I definitely am happy to be left out of the recent infoboxin', those cases can be exhausting.
Bezdomni wrote:ps... I saw Renée had some questions for you over here, but is too shy to come to WPO these days.
"How about asking why having totally amateur arbitrators is a good idea, or why the amateurs aren't given some basic training in their job, courtesy of the Foundations millions?" I don't think it's a good idea, and I've said that for some time now (I know I've said as much onwiki before, but it'd probably take me hours to find it). The Foundation has been working on some training modules fairly recently, but I would love for them to develop some much more robust training for arbitrators (as well as other folks, like admins and functionaries).
Bezdomni wrote:pps... I've always been curious... are you the original user-creator of the term "clueful"? While I personally prefer "clue-y", I'm always curious about generative/generational derivational morphology. ^^
I certainly don't think so, I probably picked it up from some other Wikipedian.

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:24 am

— low contrast
I like mixing in hex: CAC-040 is fun.
GorillaWarfare wrote: The Foundation has been working on some training modules fairly recently, but I would love for them to develop some much more robust training for arbitrators (as well as other folks, like admins and functionaries).
It was a gorilla on a talk page tag which led me to encounter my first bureaucrat (kao-flu). Now here's another gorilla, telling me to "read the manual". Renée seems pleased with your answer. What I've read of the manual is interesting, Ms. Warfare. Why not wayfarer? What is this talk of war in your iconic name?
Bezdomni wrote:[...] clueful [...]
GorillaWarfare wrote:[...] I probably picked it up from some other Wikipedian.
I see. Clueful is easier on the ear than reckful or feckful, it could be worse.

Thanks for answering... saying "no comment" is much nicer than ghostility.
los auberginos

GorillaWarfare
Critic

Unread post by GorillaWarfare » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:23 am

Bezdomni wrote:
GorillaWarfare wrote: The Foundation has been working on some training modules fairly recently, but I would love for them to develop some much more robust training for arbitrators (as well as other folks, like admins and functionaries).
It was a gorilla on a talk page tag which led me to encounter my first bureaucrat (kao-flu). Now here's another gorilla, telling me to "read the manual".
Hope that didn't come across as some sort of "RTFM" reply—I was genuinely trying to point them out in case you weren't aware, because they're pretty hard to find. I only knew about them because the WMF Support and Safety team contacted functionaries asking for feedback. Took me a good five or ten minutes of searching even to just find the meta link today to put here.
Bezdomni wrote:Renée seems pleased with your answer. What I've read of the manual is interesting, Ms. Warfare. Why not wayfarer? What is this talk of war in your iconic name?
I needed to come up with a username when I was 14 and apparently that was the first pun that came to mind. I've grown pretty attached to it, I will say, though it does have some unfortunate overlap with that Navy Seal copypasta (though I'll point out that it postdates my username :) )

Also I've just now noticed there were further pages of comments in that forum post you linked with Renée's question; that page picker is not very obvious. I guess I'll answer the questions here in case it's helpful—I'm inactive enough here I'm not sure it's really worthwhile creating a separate account for over there, especially given the membership and readership seems to overlap considerably. If the discussion there picks up maybe I will, since it seems ridiculous that this is spread across two websites, but I'll at least try to finish what's been started.
Auggie wrote:haha that's funny Kumi calls her a useless arbitrator and says all she does is go with the flow and her only response is a link to twitter because he used the word "female" instead of "woman".

So classic Wikipedian right there. Completely ignore the substance of what the other person is saying. Just go into adversarial mode and pick out one tiny piece of it to criticize.

I suppose she's mildly right that woman would be the better term, but a) She just shut down a dialogue for no good reason other than semantics and b) Do we even know if Kumi is a native English speaker? If not, I find it kind of jerky of her to be making him feel bad about such a subtle language distinction. Having tried to learn foreign languages myself, I know I sound like a complete jackass when I try to speak or write them. It's really uncool to throw snarky twitter links at people when they slightly misuse a word just because you want to appear smarter or shut down their argument.

The same thing happens every time we see an arb out in the wild. They just don't know how to act among civilized humans. They're so Wikipedian, it's almost comical.

Of course Kumi is kind of stupid to imply she's there as a token woman. Maybe she was right to shut him down but that was not the best way.
This is hardly my first interaction with Kumioko; in fact I've probably had more back-and-forth with him than anyone else here. I've found him to have a fine grasp of the English language, though I can't speak to whether he's a native speaker. He spent months messaging me insults on IRC without any response from me after the long period of time where I did reply to his comments; I'm not sure why responding here would be any more productive than other conversations. If you're suggesting there would have been some point to a "dialogue" between me and a person saying I was a worthless arb who was only valuable as a token woman, I'm not really sure I see it. Kumioko has long since decided I'm "worthless" for a whole host of reasons, many regarding his banning from Wikipedia. Arguing back "no, I was useful!" seems like a waste of everyone's time. I guess I could rebut the "She rarely does anything other than just go with the flow. She frequently recuses herself and most of the work she does for the Arbcom is simple, quick comments." bit, but given he was the only one to make the accusation and that it's among his everchanging list of complaints I didn't really see the point.

Total aside, but you share a name (well, yours has an extra "g") with what was one of the most wonderful creatures on earth. I've added a picture of Augie, my family's dog.
Proabivouac wrote:She was how old when she was elected? And her background, to the extent that she can be said to have one, is in computer programming which is totally irrelevant to the creation of a scholarly reference work.
Leaving out the "fapbait" etc. part of this comment (seriously?), I was 20 when I was elected. I studied computer engineering and then computer science in college, though I don't know if I'd agree that my college education is particularly relevant to my abilities at editing Wikipedia; plenty of folks without degrees or with degrees "irrelevant to the creation of a scholarly reference work" are fine Wikipedia editors.
Proabivouac wrote: Ir's the closest thing they have to an editorial board and it should be composed accordingly.
I'd disagree with that; if the Arbitration Committee was an editorial board it would be evaluating the content of articles. Participants at the various content noticeboards like BLPN and NPOVN are far more like editorial boards than the ArbCom.
Proabivouac wrote:Has she even read the foundational works of feminism or is it all secondhand from #metoo and the like? I've read her vigorous ideological assertions but I've never seen her cite anyone. I think she doesn't even know where "her own" ideas come from.
I've read a considerable amount, yes.
Renée Bagslint wrote:Zoloft assures Molly White that she is welcome to post at Wikipediocracy and is free to ignore awkward questions. After all, asking her hard questions might "shine the light of scrutiny into the dark crevices of Wikipedia and its related projects" or even "examine the corruption there, along with its structural flaws".
I'm happy to answer awkward questions, but I've gone around and around with Kumioko more times than is probably wise on too many topics to count—trying to fight back on his accusals of me being worthless and a token woman seem like a waste of time to me, but maybe you all disagree. (see the above point)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GorillaWarfare
Critic

Unread post by GorillaWarfare » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:15 am

Actually, no, I've been stewing on this a bit and I will reply.
Proabivouac wrote:She was how old when she was elected? And her background, to the extent that she can be said to have one, is in computer programming which is totally irrelevant to the creation of a scholarly reference work. What can you expect? The saddest thing is that for all the talk of Wikipedia needing more women, she in particular was chosen for the same reason the WIkimedia Foundation selected her, because her pix were appealing to male Wikipedians. Rather than choose an older more accomplished woman, say a professor of Russian literature or the like, they go straight for the fapbait.
Was there someone who agreed to appear on the banners or who ran in the ArbCom elections who was an older, more accomplished woman and was also a professor of Russian literature?

Arbitrators are elected from a pool of candidates just as any elected person is. To give an example of an elected position, I would have loved to have been able to conjure up my ideal presidential candidate and vote for her in the past presidential election, but sadly that's not how that works. I won't pretend I was among the fifteen most ideal people who could possibly serve on the ArbCom because that's ridiculous.
Proabivouac wrote:Newsflash: women are often judged by their looks, and young attractive women receive a disproportionate amount of unearned and sometimes (not here!) unwanted antention.
If you're implying any attention to my looks on Wikipedia is something I've wanted, you're hilariously wrong. I edited completely anonymously for four or five years before anyone outside a small group knew I was a woman. I did agree to allow the WMF to use a headshot of me in a fundraising banner; I did not expect people on the internet to decide they just had to know who I was, where I lived, where I grew up, who my family was, what my family's address was, if/who I was dating, if they could have my number, etc...

After some people on 4chan/Reddit/Encyclopedia Dramatica (including at least one person I was Facebook friends with) published photos, information, and photoshopped pornographic pictures of me, I eventually put my actual photo and some general information about myself on my userpage because I realized if it was available there, people didn't dig so hard to try to find more. If you think I put it up there because I wanted attention, just take a second to think about being an 18 year old girl trying to explain to her family why weird internet creeps were trying to contact them, or imagining her future in which potential employers googled her and found photoshopped photos of her face on porn models. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Proabivouac wrote:The only change here is that they are put in charge of encyclopedias. That they use this attention to soapbox about feminism is just the irony cherry atop the same old sundae.
It's ironic that women who've received this kind of unwanted attention speak out about feminism? Give me a break.

Bezdomni
Habitué

Unread post by Bezdomni » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:57 am

GorillaWarfare wrote:
Bezdomni wrote:
It was a gorilla on a talk page tag which led me to encounter my first bureaucrat (kao-flu). Now here's another gorilla, telling me to "read the manual".
Hope that didn't come across as some sort of "RTFM" reply—I was genuinely trying to point them out in case you weren't aware, because they're pretty hard to find. I only knew about them because the WMF Support and Safety team contacted functionaries asking for feedback. Took me a good five or ten minutes of searching even to just find the meta link today to put here.
No, it didn't really seem like RTFM... more like "check it out" actually. I was perhaps too focused on sharing that coincidental story about a candidate's chance being compared to a gorilla's, and in the process I ended up being a bit unfair to you. Yes, I will read more of it. So far I've just read the harassment pages, and can safely conclude that I didn't step into those waters.

Regarding the comments you cited at wikirev, I think all of them came after I first pointed you over there. I don't want to get in the middle of other wars, but I will say I was pretty disappointed with the "token woman" comments, and certainly with the "fapbait" bit. From the beginning I've felt, perhaps wrongly, that a dose of feminine know-how would be good for "not-a-forum" Wikipedia (you may remember this from my first message to Arbcom), if only to help people realize how silly it is to claim that an online website with literally thousands of (more or less active) talk pages is "not-a-forum." I guess that's what struck me most when I fell through the rabbit-hole... the attitude that everyone was so weighty and important... and that newbies had best not rib the old boys about their spinning.
los auberginos

SMcCandlish
Contributor
Wikipedia User: SMcCandlish
Wikipedia Review Member: SMcCandlish

Unread post by SMcCandlish » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:43 am

CrowsNest wrote:
Premeditated Chaos wrote: For SMcCandlish to be elected, he would need, as a non-admin, to get more votes from the community than three of the ten admins (lets count Worm as an admin, regardless of his non-admin stand, as that is what he actually is). We've never had a non-admin as an Arb, but for some SMcCandlish's argumentative history may put them off voting for him over a safer pair of hands. And which three admins would get less votes? Worm because he's standing on a non-admin ticket? That would be an irony wouldn't it? RickinBaltimore or BU Rob13 because they are too new, and lack rounded experience? Mailer because of his lack of activity for so long? Hmmm. After looking at Alex Shih's low level of activity, I think SMcCandlish will get more votes. I think when it comes down to it, people see the admin tag as an indication of experience and trust. In Alex Shih's case he gained the admin tag over a decade OK, and then virtually vanished until this year. SMcCandlish, meanwhile, has been working away at building the encyclopedia. If Alex Shih gets more votes than SMcCandlish simply because he's an admin and SMcCandlish isn't, then we'll know for certain we have a prejudice problem that needs addressing.
Interestingly, Worm was elected, as were BU Rob13 and RickinBaltimore, and (barely) Alex Shih also made the cut, barely. I received more support votes than three who were elected (and than 6 of 12 candidates), and just barely less than a fourth who was elected. I missed election by a total of only 31 votes out of about 2000. The problem for me, of course, was that as the most active shepherd of MoS, a lot of people hate my guts (plus I'm also a little on the cantankerous side). Only Sir Joseph and The Rambling Man received more oppose votes than I did. Of Premeditated Chaos's predictive details, the only candidate PC thought I might leave behind that I almost did was Mailer_diablo; I got much more support but also opposition, and they beat me by half of 1%.

I might or might not try again. The fact that Worm succeeded while not actually being an admin at the time has finally broken the "no non-admin has ever been elected" illusory "curse". However, the fact that my "Bot to deliver Template:Ds/alert" RfC has basically forced ArbCom's hand into finally dealing with some of the problems surrounding discretionary sanctions may (we'll see how much they actually reform about it) remove much of my incentive to try again.

collect
Regular
Wikipedia User: Collect

Unread post by collect » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:42 am

SMcCandlish wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:
Premeditated Chaos wrote: For SMcCandlish to be elected, he would need, as a non-admin, to get more votes from the community than three of the ten admins (lets count Worm as an admin, regardless of his non-admin stand, as that is what he actually is). We've never had a non-admin as an Arb, but for some SMcCandlish's argumentative history may put them off voting for him over a safer pair of hands. And which three admins would get less votes? Worm because he's standing on a non-admin ticket? That would be an irony wouldn't it? RickinBaltimore or BU Rob13 because they are too new, and lack rounded experience? Mailer because of his lack of activity for so long? Hmmm. After looking at Alex Shih's low level of activity, I think SMcCandlish will get more votes. I think when it comes down to it, people see the admin tag as an indication of experience and trust. In Alex Shih's case he gained the admin tag over a decade OK, and then virtually vanished until this year. SMcCandlish, meanwhile, has been working away at building the encyclopedia. If Alex Shih gets more votes than SMcCandlish simply because he's an admin and SMcCandlish isn't, then we'll know for certain we have a prejudice problem that needs addressing.
Interestingly, Worm was elected, as were BU Rob13 and RickinBaltimore, and (barely) Alex Shih also made the cut, barely. I received more support votes than three who were elected (and than 6 of 12 candidates), and just barely less than a fourth who was elected. I missed election by a total of only 31 votes out of about 2000. The problem for me, of course, was that as the most active shepherd of MoS, a lot of people hate my guts (plus I'm also a little on the cantankerous side). Only Sir Joseph and The Rambling Man received more oppose votes than I did. Of Premeditated Chaos's predictive details, the only candidate PC thought I might leave behind that I almost did was Mailer_diablo; I got much more support but also opposition, and they beat me by half of 1%.

I might or might not try again. The fact that Worm succeeded while not actually being an admin at the time has finally broken the "no non-admin has ever been elected" illusory "curse". However, the fact that my "Bot to deliver Template:Ds/alert" RfC has basically forced ArbCom's hand into finally dealing with some of the problems surrounding discretionary sanctions may (we'll see how much they actually reform about it) remove much of my incentive to try again.

I am proud that you were one of the four I recommended last year. At some point, the "Old Guard" will be pretty much gone, and we will have Arbitrators who actually respect the plebes.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:37 am

Who knows. I might commandeer a sock and try again too. :evilgrin:
Globally banned after 7 years.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 pm

collect wrote:At some point, the "Old Guard" will be pretty much gone, and we will have Arbitrators who actually respect the plebes.
That doesn't follow at all. We might just have a new generation who are remarkably like the old generation.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:57 pm

Poetlister wrote:
collect wrote:At some point, the "Old Guard" will be pretty much gone, and we will have Arbitrators who actually respect the plebes.
That doesn't follow at all. We might just have a new generation who are remarkably like the old generation.
Cough, BuRob!

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Note: I've been absent for a while, taking a break. I'm back now and will pitch in. Welcome back, Molly. P.S. Proabivouac is not a member here.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Welcome back!
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon