WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2017 Arbcom Election Time!

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2017 Arbcom Election Time!

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:13 am

The nomination process is on, with eight seats up for election for two year terms. Scheduled to exit unless reelected are such WPO faves as Gorilla Warfare, Drmies, Keilana, and Kirill Lokshin. Also terming out are Casliber, Opabinia regalis, Callanecc, and Kelapstick.

Gee Doubleyew is the only one who has put up with the shitshow for four consecutive years. It'll be interesting to see if she says "enough is enough."

Arbcom's caseload and controversy level is way down from two years ago. Can't say there's a single memorable case over the last two years, actually. Will the lessened workload and attenuated hysteria level attract or repel participants? Hard to say, but so far there are only three people coming forward to assume the position or wield the cat-o-nine tails, as each prefers...

RickinBaltimore (T-C-L)

A Den Jentyl Ettien Avel Dysklyver (T-C-L)

Sir Joseph (T-C-L)

More on those individuals below.

Finally, a reminder that I have successfully called every Arbcom winner for the last three years in a row — so stay tuned to this space for election results before they happen.

RfB

Details: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ember_2017[/link]

Candidates: linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... Candidates[/link]

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Re: WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2017 Arbcom Election T

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:50 am

Rick in Baltimore (T-C-L) is a 10 year WP vet who actually is from Baltimore, it would seem — unlike certain lying somsbitches who pretend to be from Idaho. Showing 49K total edits, mostly to User Talk and the WP project pages and fewer than 6K to Mainspace — which is absolutely an optimum spread for an Arbcommer. And yeah, he's an Administrator and has a clean block log, so unless he is suddenly revealed to be a sock account of Russavia or a MRA with a hardon for Donald Trump or something, you can already punch his ticket as being elected. (See how easy this prognostication thing is?)

A Den Jentyl Ettien Avel Dysklyver (T-C-L) claims to be a lawyer from the UK. Fewer than 7K edits, earliest in 2014, not an Administrator, and a splotch on the block log for edit-warring means that unless global warming suddenly reverses itself and freezes the nether-regions, this won't be a person in the winner's circle. Period.

Sir Joseph (T-C-L) is a Jewish Republican from New York City, living on the Jersey side of the river. Kudos for trying to learn a little Yiddish. A little right wing political ooze and quite juvenile with the info boxes. Has been around WP since 2005 but has only managed to put up a bit over 13K edits in all that time, which will impress few. Huge participation gaps in the edit history, only has been a hardcore Wikipedian for 2016 and a few months on the edges. Not an Administrator and a block log that is a bit of a mess means that this candidacy ain't goin' nowhere, which means it is going somewhere if you do the math. But this is the real math: zero percent chance of winning, even in a race of three candidates for eight seats.

RfB

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:53 am

Shouldn't you be holding off on predictions till the nomination process is over (21 Nov), so that you know all the candidates? One can more or less safely say that "X won't be elected unless hell freezes over", but to say that "Y will be elected" is harder because better candidates may come along.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:15 am

Kingsindian wrote:Shouldn't you be holding off on predictions till the nomination process is over (21 Nov), so that you know all the candidates? One can more or less safely say that "X won't be elected unless hell freezes over", but to say that "Y will be elected" is harder because better candidates may come along.
Nah, I'm gonna work in real time this year to show my math. They won't have eight candidates better than Rick in Baltimore and the other two won't get out of the red under the JUST SAY NO voting system that WP uses... Sir Joseph is a legit prospect for Dead Last in balloting...

Yngvadottir (T-C-L) reminds me on my talk page of The Great Gamaliel Case as the one really significant/high profile case of the last two years. In retrospect, I guess the desysop of Kevin Gorman (RIP) also slopped into the first months of the current term. Somewhat surprisingly, Arbcom landed on the side of the angels in both cases.

Actually the only one of the eight potentially departing Arbcommers that I'd be happy to see take a long metaphorical walk off a short metaphorical pier is Mr. Lokshin, who's a cabalista and bureaucrat of the first division, in my opinion.

RfB

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:12 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Sir Joseph (T-C-L) is a Jewish Republican from New York City.
Possibly a (slightly confused) homage to Sir Keith Joseph (T-H-L), the godfather of modern right-wing conservatism in Britain.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:33 am

If you count motions as well as cases in the past two years, you might also recall the first (or second) action (symbolically) of the incoming 2016 ArbCom: the banning of TDA for off-site "harassment". Recall that they banned TDA without even telling them about the "charges", let alone giving the latter a chance to respond.

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Last time around I took Tryptofish's analysis and basically voted the opposite of what he suggested, because I knew nothing about the people. From what I see above, I think I'll take RfB's list and vote for the opposite group of people. (especially given the gratuitous tackle of Sir Joseph above) ... Oh wait, I forgot, I'm an unperson so I can't vote; the MobCar cabal is safe from me. ^^ 4 months with zero acknowledgment of my email requesting review.

They just don't seem to want to do the job they were elected to do.
los auberginos

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 pm

At the present pace of nominations, this should be a good demonstration of just how much Wikipedia seems to have slowed down in the last few years if nothing else. Not this is a bad thing, of course.

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)
Wikipedia User: Graaf Statler
Actual Name: Honored by the SanFranBan

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:31 pm

Bezdomni wrote:Oh wait, I forgot, I'm an unperson so I can't vote; the MobCar cabal is safe from me. ^^ 4 months with zero acknowledgment of my email requesting review.
You know you never get a answer, neither from WMF or Arbcom. I am also waiting for mouths for a answer of arbcom. And from WMF. And from James Alexander. And from Katherine Maher.
Just sit down, take some popcorn, and enjoy this wiki soap, and remember, it is for free and on the expenses of the donors.
Not any connection to the English Wikipedia!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:40 pm

Bezdomni wrote:Last time around I took Tryptofish's analysis and basically voted the opposite of what he suggested, because I knew nothing about the people. From what I see above, I think I'll take RfB's list and vote for the opposite group of people. (especially given the gratuitous tackle of Sir Joseph above) ... Oh wait, I forgot, I'm an unperson so I can't vote; the MobCar cabal is safe from me. ^^ 4 months with zero acknowledgment of my email requesting review.

They just don't seem to want to do the job they were elected to do.
Hey, I just tell ya the winners here. I'll have a voting guide on wiki that will let you know how I'm gonna vote. Then you can do the opposite and elect a bunch of shitheels, if that turns your crank.

RfB

P.S. Oh, I'm positive that I'm being a meanie when I call this guy a right wing content warrior who has less chance of winning this election than a Scotsman has of teaching a grizzly bear to play the "Beer Barrel Polka" on an accordian...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:42 pm

Vocal wrote:At the present pace of nominations, this should be a good demonstration of just how much Wikipedia seems to have slowed down in the last few years if nothing else. Not this is a bad thing, of course.
Most nominations (i.e. self-nominations) happen in the last 48 hours, which would be Nov. 20 and 21. Don't shovel any dirt on this election yet.

RfB

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:41 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Vocal wrote:At the present pace of nominations, this should be a good demonstration of just how much Wikipedia seems to have slowed down in the last few years if nothing else. Not this is a bad thing, of course.
Most nominations (i.e. self-nominations) happen in the last 48 hours, which would be Nov. 20 and 21. Don't shovel any dirt on this election yet.

RfB

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:03 pm

I guess I got involved in AP after Sir Joseph mellowed then. Funny how everyone gets such light sentences (24 hours for edit warring, commuted indefs for calling people terrorists, etc. 1 month for a dozen AE cases (here I'm thinking of Marek). I got indeffed for posting authorship information. Some crimes are bigger than others, I guess? ^^
los auberginos

Vocal
Critic

Unread post by Vocal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 pm

Bezdomni wrote:I guess I got involved in AP after Sir Joseph mellowed then. Funny how everyone gets such light sentences (24 hours for edit warring, commuted indefs for calling people terrorists, etc. 1 month for a dozen AE cases (here I'm thinking of Marek). I got indeffed for posting authorship information. Some crimes are bigger than others, I guess? ^^
Bo tutaj jest jak jest, po prostu, i ty dobrze o tym wiesz.

Disgruntled haddock
Critic

Unread post by Disgruntled haddock » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:56 am

I have no idea who A Den Jentyl Ettien Avel Dysklyver is, nor do I particularly care, but I am enjoying watching him crash and burn over at Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections December 2017/Candidates/A Den Jentyl Ettien Avel Dysklyver/Questions (T-H-L).

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:05 am

Sir Joseph sent me an email. It's quoted verbatim below:
Hi,
I was wondering if you can please ask Carrite what my religion has to do with anything. From here, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8756#p209338 as I'm sure you are aware, when you point out the religion of only one person it is troubling, and I have seen Carrite's edits in the past and it makes it even more troubling.
Thanks
Since Sir Joseph is reading this thread, I can also tell them a couple of things:
  • Your religion doesn't have anything to do with anything, and I don't think Carrite meant anything sinister by it. The comment was a light-hearted jibe at the bunch of infoboxes here.
  • Feel free to create an account here and discuss anything that's on your mind.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:29 am

Kingsindian wrote:Sir Joseph sent me an email. It's quoted verbatim below:
Hi,
I was wondering if you can please ask Carrite what my religion has to do with anything. From here, viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8756#p209338 as I'm sure you are aware, when you point out the religion of only one person it is troubling, and I have seen Carrite's edits in the past and it makes it even more troubling.
Thanks
Since Sir Joseph is reading this thread, I can also tell them a couple of things:
  • Your religion doesn't have anything to do with anything, and I don't think Carrite meant anything sinister by it. The comment was a light-hearted jibe at the bunch of infoboxes here.
My objection to him is that he is a right wing content warrior with a block log that reads like a grocery list at Piggly Wiggly. linkhttps://www.pigglywiggly.com/[/link]

I certainly don't care that he's a self-proclaimed "infidel." linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sir_ ... _userboxes[/link]

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 am

A fourth hat in the ring, this one that of BU Rob13 (T-C-L).

An administrator and a checkuser from Seattle (which means he is probably an infidel!) with a bot-inflated 84K edits means he is probably in like Flynn in this election...

But riddle me this: why does the edit history start only in June 2015?

First edit is at Templates for Discussion — wow, that has newbie written all over it... And he is declaring zero previous accounts. linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... ates/Guide[/link]

Ummmmmmm, howzabout a little transparency???

RfB

P.S. Now this is just ridiculous...
On his WP User page, BU Rob13 wrote:I joined Wikipedia as an editor on June 7, 2015 after years of relying on it to find information of practical use to me and to satisfy my idle curiosity.
I wonder if BU means "Bullshit Unlimited"...
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:51 am

Kingsindian wrote:Sir Joseph sent me an email. It's quoted verbatim below:
Hi,
Thanks
My objection is that he is an incessant Jew-tagging muppet who despite having it explained to him multiple times, does not understand the difference between ethnicity and religion, and why this can be a problem with Jews.

Its not that he is Jewish, it's that he constantly tries to push his personal definition of Jewishness despite it being deeply flawed.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:09 am

I had forgotten all about it, but I see that I had earlier spotted BU Rob13 (T-C-L) as an obvious alternate account at his (ultimately successful) RFA, which came after a purported NINE MONTHS of activity at WP. (linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... p/BU_Rob13[/link])

Now we're running for ArbCom after barely over two years.

This is a dirty account and I would not automatically assume election here.

RfB

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:31 am

Let have a closer look. Hunting sockpuppets, interest for Articles for deletion investigations but not writing them himself, fascinated by the bureaucracy. Interest in commons, (they understand pictures)................=>Struggling with the puzzles and barriers encountering in his life. Perfect candidate!

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:07 am

Graaf Statler wrote:Let have a closer look. Hunting sockpuppets, interest for Articles for deletion investigations but not writing them himself, fascinated by the bureaucracy. Interest in commons, (they understand pictures)................=>Struggling with the puzzles and barriers encountering in his life. Perfect candidate!
I suspect this is a sock of a disgraced automation-abusing photo rights person. I'll leave it for others to determine exactly who, but there's no way in the universe that this is not a sock account.

RfB

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:37 am

IF someone is fanatical hunting for socks, it is 99.9% shure it is a sock pupped player himself. IF someone has a user page with this on it, you can be sure you have to deal with a a troll. Whit a few simple tricks it is very easy to find out if someone is a troll, a sock, or a user who is struggling with the puzzles and barriers in his life. Or all three.
Look in his history, look what he is doing. And look at his first edit, and you know everything about a candidate! Because this is not a newbie. By the way, this is a sysop on WP-NL, arbcom member, and he/was is active on Commons. Remember Russavia.

Nice way to check candidates, isn't it? And if you start to analyse, you can also find out from who it is a sock. Perfect American English, who is often in America professional? Because HE writes a on a native level English, style....... Times... Yes, and after long puzzling you can even find out who he is.... Not Romaine by the way.

But sorry, a bit :offtopic:

collect
Regular
Wikipedia User: Collect

Unread post by collect » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Question:

Is there any precedent for an active administrator to inject themselves into the vetting of candidates for ArbCom by asking that a contributor delete their three questions to each candidate? (Calling them "grudge" and "pointless", for example.)

Thank you for all those examples.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Oh, this is shaping up to be a really, really, really interesting election! Two more potentially controversial candidates to join BU Rob13 (T-C-L) in the "maybe" zone. Wanna guess who?

SarekOfVulcan (T-C-L) is the first. I assume that since WPO is heavily populated by old nerds, everybody knows who the television Sarek of Vulcan was — the Earthling-boinking edgy father of Jimbo Kirk's first officer, Mr. Spock. We know about Vulcans, how measured and thoughtful and logical and rational they are, right? Cut to the SoV from WP, who back in the day was a most unmeasured hothead. Somewhere back in the archives from several years ago I crossed swords with him — I remember calling him "the ironically-named Sarek of Vulcan" or something like that, which I remember really pressing his buttons. But ya know what? These days I sort of like him... (Much as I really warmed up to a few of the WPO regulars who I didn't like a few years ago. Come back, Vig...). Spoiler alert: I'm even probably gonna vote for him. Weird, huh?

Now let's take a look at his fundamentals, shall we? Thirteen years at Wikipedia, check. A New Englander who went to Brown. Self-identifies as Garrett Fitzgerald on Wiki, which makes him the same guy as this Sarek of Vulcan at Linked in. linkhttps://www.linkedin.com/in/sarekofvulcan[/link] (Hey, Kohs, do you have a brother?) Now THAT'S transparency — compare and contrast to Bullshit Unlimited Rob13 (T-C-L) ... Holds the all-important Administrator flag — the number one prerequisite of a successful ArbCom candidate. What's on the block log? linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... ekOfVulcan[/link] Ooo, five tickets for edit-warring, that's not good for the chances. Nothing since 2012 though, he might be able to sell the fact that he's a reformed sinner.

A total of just over 46K edits with a very Arbcommy-looking pie chart... linkhttps://xtools.wmflabs.org/ec/en.wikipe ... ekOfVulcan[/link] ...but his participation has been pretty spotty since his intense caffeine-addled years of 2009 to 2011.

We'll file this candidacy in the Maybe pile next to BU Rob13.

RfB

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:30 pm

Sarek has had a bit of a hot head in the past. I think even Jimbo indicated that on his user talk page once. Having said that, as a bit of a mouthy bastard myself, I can't hold that against him in this context. If he acts up on the committee, I'm fairly sure he won't last long. Beyond that, I more or less agree with Randy above. Including probably voting for him.

Still waiting on whether the estimable Zoloft is going to put his hat in the ring.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:46 pm

And then there is

The Rambling Man (T-C-L) — a super-fun candidate in that he has recently, quoting his own words, "seen at first hand how the current Arbcom ply their trade. It's unsatisfactory in several regards, and recently has served to do nothing other than disenfranchise editors." I haven't studied the merits of the complaints against him in any depth, but I'll tell ya right now that this self-identified content writer is my guy all the way in this election. "I am a serious content editor, unlike the vast majority of Arbcom, so it can safely be assumed that I have the very best interests of the project at heart. I'm here to create and enhance an encyclopedia, not simply police it.... While I'm not going to tick everyone's box, I can promise that I will bridge the current gaping chasm between our editors and the current, broken system." — testify, brother!!!

A Wikipedian since 2005, check. Has 183K edits, half to mainspace — and not bot-inflated. My cap is doffed. Has run the Administrator gauntlet successfully (check) but resigned under a cloud Oct. 2016 during an ArbCom case. That's a big demerit there.

Obviously, coming into this election with his attitude is gonna mobilize The Cabal and one would have to put him in the "Maybe But I Seriously Doubt It" suburb of Maybeville, but stranger things have happened in ArbCom elections — there is space for a dissident to win a contested race, depending on what the rest of the field looks like.

===========

So far here is the field, in this handicapper's view:

GONNA WIN ONE OF EIGHT SEATS (1):

Rick in Baltimore

MAYBE (2, ranked):

Bullshit Unlimited Rob13
Sarek of Vulcan

MAYBEVILLE, LONG ODDS:

The Rambling Man

NOT GONNA WIN, PERIOD (2, ranked):

ADJEAD
Sir Joseph

RfB

Additional observation: There are three women scheduled to term out of Arbcom and so far nothing but men running. Not sure what that means, if anything, since candidates for re-election often come in at the very last minute. (The reason for this is that it avoids more than a week of pesky questions...)

SarekOfVulcan
Critic
Wikipedia User: SarekOfVulcan
Wikipedia Review Member: SarekOfVulcan

Unread post by SarekOfVulcan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:50 pm

Oh, so that's what my password was. Hi, all. <moriarty>Did you miss me?</moriarty>

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:02 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:And then there is

The Rambling Man (T-C-L) — a super-fun candidate in that he has recently, quoting his own words, "seen at first hand how the current Arbcom ply their trade. It's unsatisfactory in several regards, and recently has served to do nothing other than disenfranchise editors." I haven't studied the merits of the complaints against him in any depth, but I'll tell ya right now that this self-identified content writer is my guy all the way in this election. "I am a serious content editor, unlike the vast majority of Arbcom, so it can safely be assumed that I have the very best interests of the project at heart. I'm here to create and enhance an encyclopedia, not simply police it.... While I'm not going to tick everyone's box, I can promise that I will bridge the current gaping chasm between our editors and the current, broken system." — testify, brother!!!

A Wikipedian since 2005, check. Has 183K edits, half to mainspace — and not bot-inflated. My cap is doffed. Has run the Administrator gauntlet successfully (check) but resigned under a cloud Oct. 2016 during an ArbCom case. That's a big demerit there.

Obviously, coming into this election with his attitude is gonna mobilize The Cabal and one would have to put him in the "Maybe But I Seriously Doubt It" suburb of Maybeville, but stranger things have happened in ArbCom elections — there is space for a dissident to win a contested race, depending on what the rest of the field looks like.

===========

Rick in Baltimore

MAYBE (2, ranked):

Bullshit Unlimited Rob13
Sarek of Vulcan

MAYBEVILLE, LONG ODDS:

The Rambling Man

ADJEAD
Sir Joseph

RfB

Additional observation: There are three women scheduled to term out of Arbcom and so far nothing but men running. Not sure what that means, if anything, since candidates for re-election often come in at the very last minute. (The reason for this is that it avoids more than a week of pesky questions...)
RickinBaltimore 100% for sure, because he is a member of the Natuur12/INeverCry/Trijnstel Klan. (They don't love INeverCry anymore)

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:41 pm

SarekOfVulcan wrote:Oh, so that's what my password was. Hi, all. <moriarty>Did you miss me?</moriarty>
Why did you even bother to run, my green blooded friend? You're the only candidate whose nomination genuinely puzzles me. You can't seriously think you have a chance? Not even as a makeweight option. There are no more Brads they can call on as emergency reserve slam dunk backups, and I'm sure Jimmy has said he's quite prepared to leave the bench short stacked if necessary, to, er, maintain standards. :rotfl:

SarekOfVulcan
Critic

Unread post by SarekOfVulcan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:53 pm

CrowsNest wrote:Why did you even bother to run, my green blooded friend? You're the only candidate whose nomination genuinely puzzles me. You can't seriously think you have a chance? Not even as a makeweight option. There are no more Brads they can call on as emergency reserve slam dunk backups, and I'm sure Jimmy has said he's quite prepared to leave the bench short stacked if necessary, to, er, maintain standards. :rotfl:
I was alarmed at the possibility of one of the other candidates getting in, so I wanted to help make the slate large enough so that didn't have to happen. After the arb case and my failed RFA3, I don't really expect to be elected, no. But, as I said, this isn't a joke self-nom -- I would be interested in serving if there are enough people who think I've learned from my past mistakes.

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 pm

SarekOfVulcan wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:Why did you even bother to run, my green blooded friend? You're the only candidate whose nomination genuinely puzzles me. You can't seriously think you have a chance? Not even as a makeweight option. There are no more Brads they can call on as emergency reserve slam dunk backups, and I'm sure Jimmy has said he's quite prepared to leave the bench short stacked if necessary, to, er, maintain standards. :rotfl:
I was alarmed at the possibility of one of the other candidates getting in, so I wanted to help make the slate large enough so that didn't have to happen. After the arb case and my failed RFA3, I don't really expect to be elected, no. But, as I said, this isn't a joke self-nom -- I would be interested in serving if there are enough people who think I've learned from my past mistakes.
Well yes, this is what puzzled me. Not a word of this reply makes logical sense. Pun intended. Come on, what's the real reason? You lose a bet?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:00 pm

Incoming, incoming... It's

Alex Shih (T-C-L) , a Chinese-Canadian fashion stylist living in Japan who is into Chinese and Japanese history.

He came onboard in 2006 and holds the all-important Administrator flag, which neatly puts him over the first two hurdles. He was deemed "too silly" and blocked by our good friend Ryulong (T-C-L) back on April Fool's Day 2007, for which he apologized, which sounds like the definition of a "youthful indiscretion," to quote Sen. Strom Thurmond... About 15,750 total edits with a really Arbcommy-looking pie chart ( linkhttps://xtools.wmflabs.org/ec/en.wikipe ... /Alex+Shih[/link] ). It is only the self-acknowledged enormous participation gap from May 2007 to July 2017 (with only two months of very active editing marking that full decade of inactivity) that moves him from the slam dunk Elected to the ranks of the Maybes. We'll have to see how he handles questions about this... It's definitely a potential sock puppet sort of editing pattern, although my bullshit detector is not beeping in this particular case...

RfB

===========

Rick in Baltimore

MAYBE (3, ranked):

Bullshit Unlimited Rob13
Sarek of Vulcan
Alex Shih

MAYBEVILLE, LONG ODDS:

The Rambling Man

ADJEAD
Sir Joseph

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:07 pm

SarekOfVulcan wrote:Oh, so that's what my password was. Hi, all. <moriarty>Did you miss me?</moriarty>
SarekOfVulcan wrote:After the arb case and my failed RFA3, I don't really expect to be elected, no.
Hi, Sarek — welcome back! And welcome to WPO, CrowsNest!

Ah, I thought you were holding an Admin flag... Just checked again — yeah, you still are an Administrator, aren't you?

tim

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:19 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:P.S. Oh, I'm positive that I'm being a meanie when I call this guy a right wing content warrior who has less chance of winning this election than a Scotsman has of teaching a grizzly bear to play the "Beer Barrel Polka" on an accordian...
Obviously, no true Scotsman would spell "accordion" as "accordian"! :B'

Oh, and :welcome: CrowsNest.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:36 pm

CrowsNest wrote:
SarekOfVulcan wrote:
Well yes, this is what puzzled me. Not a word of this reply makes logical sense. Pun intended. Come on, what's the real reason? You lose a bet?
No, he seems to clearly want to ensure one of the other candidates loses.

SarekOfVulcan
Critic

Unread post by SarekOfVulcan » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
SarekOfVulcan wrote:After the arb case and my failed RFA3, I don't really expect to be elected, no.
Hi, Sarek — welcome back! And welcome to WPO, CrowsNest!

Ah, I thought you were holding an Admin flag... Just checked again — yeah, you still are an Administrator, aren't you?

tim
Thank you, RFA4. :-)

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:55 pm

JCM wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:
SarekOfVulcan wrote:
Which would only have been logical had he a hope in hell of being elected.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:58 pm

CrowsNest wrote:
JCM wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:
SarekOfVulcan wrote:
A crowded field of Administrators sends The Rambling Man packing...

RfB

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:16 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:
JCM wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:
SarekOfVulcan wrote:
A crowded field of Administrators sends The Rambling Man packing...

RfB
One unelectable admin candidate, does not a crowd of electable admins make. And announcing yourself as the anti-TRM admin candidate seems like a sure fire way of adding a few votes to TRM's stack, without attracting any from the sort of people who would mindlessly vote for any admin over any nonadmin.

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:29 pm

Questions for the candidates......in an alternate universe where Wikipedia is incorruptible :rotfl:

Q. A user comes to you complaining of being personally attacked, specifically that another user is claiming they have come to Wikipedia representing an advocacy group who may have even supplied them with references to add....something they strenuously deny. Do you.....

A. Offer sympathy and understanding, establish if the accuser has sufficient evidence to back up the accusations, and act accordingly according to Wikipedia policy,

or.......

B. Claim you see no personal attack here, and RELEASE THE HOUNDS

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... User:RexxS

I'd vote for anyone who calls this what it is. In other words, as in all previous years, I'll be spoiling my ballot with NOTA.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:13 pm

CrowsNest wrote: One unelectable admin candidate, does not a crowd of electable admins make. And announcing yourself as the anti-TRM admin candidate seems like a sure fire way of adding a few votes to TRM's stack, without attracting any from the sort of people who would mindlessly vote for any admin over any nonadmin.
Let's just say this: if there are 10 or more Administrators running for 8 seats, TRM has no chance at all. For a controversial candidate not holding "the buttons" to get in, there needs to be a light field.

RfB

Graaf Statler
Proud Wikipedian (muted)

Unread post by Graaf Statler » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:30 pm

I am reading the questions and answers, am looking around what these candidates are doing on wiki, and in there history, but it 's one big joke.
And like I said before, I am as neutral as Switzerland. I am a outsider, and I don't know anybody of them, but this is one big farce. Most of these candidates are absolute not suitable for this job! In no way!
This must be end up in a kangaroo court, it is foolish. Nice for amusement, but I can't take this serieus.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:15 pm

Graaf Statler wrote:I am reading the questions and answers, am looking around what these candidates are doing on wiki, and in there history, but it 's one big joke.
And like I said before, I am as neutral as Switzerland. I am a outsider, and I don't know anybody of them, but this is one big farce. Most of these candidates are absolute not suitable for this job! In no way!
This must be end up in a kangaroo court, it is foolish. Nice for amusement, but I can't take this serieus.
The more serious candidates will dive in late.

tim

arkon
Critic
Wikipedia User: arkon

Unread post by arkon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:51 pm

I've been on the outsides of a few arbcom cases, and the inside of one (the April Fool's one of course). I just want some of these expiring term members gone. People I actually respected previously (in error apparently), like DGG, Drmies, and Doug Weller were absolutely awful in my experience. On that note, TRM would annoy the hell out of them, so goooooooo TRM!

Edit: Add link

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:41 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
CrowsNest wrote: One unelectable admin candidate, does not a crowd of electable admins make. And announcing yourself as the anti-TRM admin candidate seems like a sure fire way of adding a few votes to TRM's stack, without attracting any from the sort of people who would mindlessly vote for any admin over any nonadmin.
Let's just say this: if there are 10 or more Administrators running for 8 seats, TRM has no chance at all. For a controversial candidate not holding "the buttons" to get in, there needs to be a light field.
You can say it, but it has no bearing on the logic of Sarek's decision, as I see it. You don't just need to beat TRM, you need a candidate that Jimmy can realistically hold his nose and bestow his blessing on their support percentage. I can't see Sarek getting anywhere close, and if he did, it likely means the fringe voters are so desperate for change, TRM could easily do better, as the most Trumpian of the two. Neither is a realistic bet, indeed both are categorically no hopers. All Sarek did here, is prove to a few people that, contrary to his really weak answers, he's not really changed, not his core personality (it's a real dick move to stand just to stop someone else winning IMHO), he just wised up a little.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:47 am

CrowsNest wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
You can say it, but it has no bearing on the logic of Sarek's decision, as I see it. You don't just need to beat TRM, you need a candidate that Jimmy can realistically hold his nose and bestow his blessing on their support percentage. I can't see Sarek getting anywhere close, and if he did, it likely means the fringe voters are so desperate for change, TRM could easily do better, as the most Trumpian of the two. Neither is a realistic bet, indeed both are categorically no hopers. All Sarek did here, is prove to a few people that, contrary to his really weak answers, he's not really changed, not his core personality (it's a real dick move to stand just to stop someone else winning IMHO), he just wised up a little.
You apprise his chances too harshly. Sarek is a middle of the pack finisher. Large pack: out of the money; small pack: in the money.

TRM needs a REALLY small pack to slide in.

JW will sign off on everyone elected. He is a politician that picks his battles.

RfB
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

arkon
Critic
Wikipedia User: arkon

Unread post by arkon » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:49 am

CrowsNest wrote:as the most Trumpian of the two
Well that's just mean. :evilgrin:

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:56 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
You apprise his chances too harshly. Sarek is a middle of the pack finisher. Large pack: out of the money; small pack: in the money.

JW will sign off on everyone elected. He is a politician that picks his battles.

RfB
The system is designed such that if ever a candidate as poor as Sarek finished in the middle, and the middle wasn't 50 candidates out of a 100, then Jimmy puts his little crown on, and declares it null and void, or announces that due to budget cuts, this year's arbcom will sit in a phonebooth.

CrowsNest
Muted

Unread post by CrowsNest » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:59 am

arkon wrote:
CrowsNest wrote:as the most Trumpian of the two
Well that's just mean. :evilgrin:
I rather think he will take it as a compliment. If ever anyone has wanted to be the Trump candidate of Wikipedia, it is that desperate loser. Just like Trump, he has a base, who will support him no matter what. An ugly basket of deplorables, if you will.