Wikimedia Advisory Board

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Wikimedia Advisory Board

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 pm

The Foundation used to have an Advisory Board, a long list of Very Important Friends of Jimbo. It was required to be renewed annually by the WMF Board of Trustees and so lapsed at the end of 2015 after no appointments or reappointments were made in that year. Just one year ago, Dariusz Jemielniak assured me that it was "one of the B[oard] G[overnance] C[ommittee]'s priorities to revise and re-ignite the Advisory Board." Unfortunately the Meta page, linked to above, bears no indication that this has happened, and the Foundation website does not even reflect the lapse in continuity. So we may presume that the BGC did not manage to set fire to it as promised, although just yesterday they published an interim proposal.

But wait! Florence Nibart-Devouard has written and populated a page Strategy/Wikimedia movement/2017/Sources/WMF Advisory board. So there is an Advisory Board after all! But it's a secret.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: Wikimedia Advisory Board

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:06 pm

This is a very good find, and well-documented, Rogol. More like this!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks. Just a quick update. I posted a related comment to wikimedia-l today at 11:10 UTC and Natailla Tymkiv updated the Foundation website at 16:46 UTC to mark it as historical. I used to have sensible and productive discussions with Natallia, and continue to think that she's doing her best, but I have come to believe her –and indeed my – efforts at reforming the WMF, however well-intentioned, to be radically misdirected.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:08 pm

I see no reason to doubt that billionaires use gmail accounts to post to wikimedia-l but in any event it's all publicity.