Obscure editwars, anyone?

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
EricBarbour

kołdry

Obscure editwars, anyone?

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:28 am

How about the one that's been "raging" over Polyglycerol polyricinoleate (T-H-L) for the past 5+ years?

Bitched about here.
The author of the Wikipedia article about PGPR, in his Yelp account as "Aaron P.," states that "It has a detectable and somewhat offputting aftertaste.... American chocolate makers have been lobbying for years to be allowed to add vegetable fats to their products so they can sell the cocoa butter at a higher profit to cosmetic manufacturers. So far they have been thwarted, so now they have moved to using PGPR to lower the levels of cocoa butter while still remaining undetectable to most people." He also noted that "Unfortunately, someone keeps altering the (Wikipedia article) to detail the glories of PGPR, and I have to keep fixing it."

Anroth
Nice Scum

Re: Obscure editwars, anyone?

Unread post by Anroth » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:34 am

Start editing computer game related articles then complain about obscure edit wars.

The best one I saw was over the colour code for a characters skin...

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Wikipedia maintains its own list of lamest edit wars. Of course "lame" isn't the same as "obscure", and the obscurity of the squabbles listed there is somewhat decreased by the very fact of their being so listed. Nevertheless some of them do seem pretty obscure to me.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

SirFozzie
Wocka Wocka Wocka!

Unread post by SirFozzie » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:58 pm

Let's see.. some of these aren't obscure (because they've been before the Committee etcetera), but that doesn't mean more then a very small percentage of folks care about them:

English English Spelling vs American English spelling (yogurt vs yoghurt, soccer vs football)
Diacritics (Really, it's that big a deal to some folks that a name shouldn't (to them) have a little curly cue letter attached to it?)
Hyphens versus En-Dash (this one just made me face palm everytime it showed up.. and it showed up, time and time again)

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:34 pm

SirFozzie wrote:Hyphens versus En-Dash (this one just made me face palm everytime it showed up.. and it showed up, time and time again)
Holy crap, I learn something new every day;
According to most American sources (such as The Chicago Manual of Style) and some British sources (such as The Oxford Guide to Style), an em dash should always be set closed, meaning it should not be surrounded by spaces.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:28 am

TungstenCarbide wrote:
SirFozzie wrote:Hyphens versus En-Dash (this one just made me face palm everytime it showed up.. and it showed up, time and time again)
According to most American sources (such as The Chicago Manual of Style) and some British sources (such as The Oxford Guide to Style), an em dash should always be set closed, meaning it should not be surrounded by spaces.
If it's any consolation—I screwed that one up for years.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:24 am

Zoloft wrote:
TungstenCarbide wrote:
If it's any consolation—I screwed that one up for years.
That's where the style manual is wrong, as anyone who has ever done layout with computers and the inevitable software-based auto-wrap mess will attest.

RfB

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:04 am

SirFozzie wrote:Let's see.. some of these aren't obscure (because they've been before the Committee etcetera), but that doesn't mean more then a very small percentage of folks care about them:

English English Spelling vs American English spelling (yogurt vs yoghurt, soccer vs football)
Diacritics (Really, it's that big a deal to some folks that a name shouldn't (to them) have a little curly cue letter attached to it?)
Hyphens versus En-Dash (this one just made me face palm everytime it showed up.. and it showed up, time and time again)
Wasn't there a case of Greeks and Turks arguing over whether a certain dessert was made in Greece or Turkey? The dessert was credited with being made in a border village, IIRC. I don't think it reached the level of the Yogurt.

Maybe it was Baklava (T-H-L) or Turkish Delight (T-H-L)? It was probably the Baklava article since the talkpage is full of Greeks and Turks talking smack to each other.

Looking at the Baklava article history, it seems the Armenians, Azeris, and Iranians are claiming it too and causing a ruckus. Looks like a slow-moving edit war has been going on for some time. :wacko:
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:49 am

Could be worse, could be Hummus, that has Israel and Palestine fighting over it...

Volunteer Marek
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Volunteer Marek

Unread post by Volunteer Marek » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:47 pm

I know there was an edit war about "dirt" -- the very special fertile dirt of Ukraine- between Poles, Ukrainians, Russians and Lithuanians, and by what name it should be called, but I forget what the name actually was.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:12 am

There's been an edit war going on the CAC/PAC JF-17 Thunder (T-H-L) article for some time. It has had problems since the article's creation with jet "fanboys" and Pakistani nationalists messing with it. The worst of it has been going on for nearly two years now. Ironically, one of the edit warriors (Dave1185 (T-C-L)) protected the page two years ago and it has not been unprotected since.
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Unread post by Tarc » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:12 pm

Star Trek into Darkness (T-H-L), long debate regarding the capitalization of "into" winds up as no consensus, then becomes fodder for xkcd;

Last edited by Tarc on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:41 pm

The Joy wrote:There's been an edit war going on the CAC/PAC JF-17 Thunder (T-H-L) article for some time. It has had problems since the article's creation with jet "fanboys" and Pakistani nationalists messing with it. The worst of it has been going on for nearly two years now. Ironically, one of the edit warriors (Dave1185 (T-C-L)) protected the page two years ago and it has not been unprotected since.
Slight correction: Dave1185 just moved the page. He is not an admin and can't protect things.

It's actually been protected since 2010.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:02 am

Tarc wrote:Star Trek into Darkness (T-H-L), long debate regarding the capitalization of "into" winds up as no consensus, then becomes fodder for xkcd;

Now the subject of news coverage discussed in this thread.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:16 am

The Joy wrote:
SirFozzie wrote:Let's see.. some of these aren't obscure (because they've been before the Committee etcetera), but that doesn't mean more then a very small percentage of folks care about them:

Wasn't there a case of Greeks and Turks arguing over whether a certain dessert was made in Greece or Turkey? The dessert was credited with being made in a border village, IIRC. I don't think it reached the level of the Yogurt.

Maybe it was Baklava (T-H-L) or Turkish Delight (T-H-L)? It was probably the Baklava article since the talkpage is full of Greeks and Turks talking smack to each other.

Looking at the Baklava article history, it seems the Armenians, Azeris, and Iranians are claiming it too and causing a ruckus. Looks like a slow-moving edit war has been going on for some time. :wacko:
Here we go again! :wacko:

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =535753484

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 am

"The history of Baklava is not well documented."

It's only a fucking pudding!

(Though they are very useful for keeping your ears warm when cycling).
Time for a new signature.

The Joy
Habitué

Unread post by The Joy » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 am

Mason wrote:
The Joy wrote:There's been an edit war going on the CAC/PAC JF-17 Thunder (T-H-L) article for some time. It has had problems since the article's creation with jet "fanboys" and Pakistani nationalists messing with it. The worst of it has been going on for nearly two years now. Ironically, one of the edit warriors (Dave1185 (T-C-L)) protected the page two years ago and it has not been unprotected since.
Slight correction: Dave1185 just moved the page. He is not an admin and can't protect things.

It's actually been protected since 2010.
Once again, my inability to understand Wikipedia's logs confounds me. Sorry, Dave!

Still, nearly three years (almost four, counting the previous protection) is a long time for a non-BLP article.