WMF chapters

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Rogol Domedonfors

Re: WMF chapters

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:11 pm

Samuel Klein has written to the WMFR trustees ordering them to retract their public position. I think it would be helpful(*) to see some public expression of support for the WMFR trustees urging them to stick to their principles and to refuse to kowtow to the commisars from San Francisco.

(*) I use this word in a very specific sense here,

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Rogol Domedonfors wrote:Samuel Klein has written to the WMFR trustees ordering them to retract their public position. I think it would be helpful(*) to see some public expression of support for the WMFR trustees urging them to stick to their principles and to refuse to kowtow to the commisars from San Francisco.

But Sam signed "With love," so you know that it is all part of the WikiLoveMovement, and things will work out okay.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:39 pm

thekohser wrote:
Rogol Domedonfors wrote:Samuel Klein has written to the WMFR trustees ordering them to retract their public position. I think it would be helpful(*) to see some public expression of support for the WMFR trustees urging them to stick to their principles and to refuse to kowtow to the commisars from San Francisco.

But Sam signed "With love," so you know that it is all part of the WikiLoveMovement, and things will work out okay.
That struck me as one of the weirdest, most culty things I've seen lately, truth be told...

Visions of the bearded guru and his Wikimania exhortations to the faithful danced through my head... The "I Hate Eric Corbett And So, Lovingly, Should You" speech being the ultima thule of the genre...

RfB

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:From what I've seen, most of WMF's "contractors" are either people who, like Tim, live and work outside the US, and are listed as "contractors" because WMF doesn't want to register as employers in the foreign jurisdictions in which those people live. There were some in the US in the past (David Strauss comes to mind, although I don't think Strauss has done anything for them in years) who were, in fact, bona fide contractors, and it's likely they still do use people in contract roles like that, especially over on the Fundraising side, which generally hires contract developers whenever it needs bespoke software written, rather than relying on the incompetent morons in WMF Engineering.
Okeyes_(WMF) (T-C-L) was a contractor for the WMF.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:52 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:From what I've seen, most of WMF's "contractors" are either people who, like Tim, live and work outside the US, and are listed as "contractors" because WMF doesn't want to register as employers in the foreign jurisdictions in which those people live. There were some in the US in the past (David Strauss comes to mind, although I don't think Strauss has done anything for them in years) who were, in fact, bona fide contractors, and it's likely they still do use people in contract roles like that, especially over on the Fundraising side, which generally hires contract developers whenever it needs bespoke software written, rather than relying on the incompetent morons in WMF Engineering.
He was an English national, I think, yeah? Might be an employment rules reason in play...

t

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:42 am

Randy from Boise wrote:He was an English national, I think, yeah?
Unlikely; there's no such thing in English law. He might be a British citizen.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Moral Hazard wrote:
He was an English national, I think, yeah? Might be an employment rules reason in play...

t
The WMF taking on a non-US citizen as a contractor because they were not eligible to be an employee? Shocking! Also a fine of at least $5K for violation. The State of California says
The State of California Labor Commissioner's Office wrote: In applying the economic realities test, the most significant factor to be considered is whether the person to whom service is rendered (the employer or principal) has control or the right to control the worker both as to the work done and the manner and means in which it is performed.

Even where there is an absence of control over work details, an employer-employee relationship will be found if (1) the principal retains pervasive control over the operation as a whole, (2) the worker's duties are an integral part of the operation, and (3) the nature of the work makes detailed control unnecessary.
So an independent contractor living in California has to be someone whose work is not directed by the WMF, nor an integral part of its operation. Hmm.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:26 am

Thierry Coudray, former ED of WMFr writes to rebut the "recent and staggering Samuell Legoff's e-mail". His rebuttal is in French and I have not had time to translate it. But his preamble is in English, and reveals his motiviation for breaking his four-year silence in the wake of what he himself describes as his "hasty departure of Wikimedia France in december 2012" (details anyone?) They are the implications for fundraising and the possibility of the row getting into the press. These are the priorities of the typical chapter, I suppose.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Update largely courtesy of Sashi on another site: Novel Obs article by Thierry Noisette.

The site visit by WMF should have taken place by now. Other news: treasurer Guillaume Goursat resigns from the Board; trustee Louise Merzeau passes away suddenly; 9 September, Special General Meeting as requisitioned by members.

Rogol Domedonfors
Habitué

Unread post by Rogol Domedonfors » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:05 pm

Announcement that the Macau chapter is to be derecognised for "long-standing non-compliance with reporting requirements, dating back to the initial recognition of the chapter in 2011."

Any further information?

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Yes, a lot of the history is here on Meta.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche