Majordomo
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Re: James Heilman removed from WMF board

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:01 pm

Hex wrote:
lilburne wrote: The plantation owners have dispensed with the slaves uppity spokesperson. What more is there to say?
That is a completely tasteless comment.
It's a fairly tasteless organization, though, you have to admit.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:45 pm

Hex wrote:
lilburne wrote: The plantation owners have dispensed with the slaves uppity spokesperson. What more is there to say?
I dont know, there are some comparisons.

If you take the WMF as the fat and lazy plantation owners and the 'volunteers' as the slaves toiling away for no reward....

Granted where you have slaves, you have whips, and as yet the WMF has been unable to find a way to forcibly make people work on wikipedia. But I am sure they are working on it...

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:09 pm

Hex wrote:
You've been offended far worse by my comments.
Last edited by Moral Hazard on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:58 pm

lilburne wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
This is a disturbing precedent in which the clique has purged an elected board member and we really must keep up a drumbeat for more information.
The plantation owners have dispensed with the slaves uppity spokesperson. What more is there to say?
I have no idea, but my speculation would be that it would be something really minor and stupid. There is a quote, attributed to Kissinger: "The battle in academia is so vicious because the stakes are so low." I think one can say the same about Wikipedia generally.

I hope I'm wrong.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:11 pm

Jimbo now says the removal was "for cause"
Jimbo, will you support an amendment to the bylaws prohibiting the removal of community-elected trustees without cause? The Big Bad Wolfowitz (aka Hullaballoo) (talk) 03:28, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

I don't know, as I haven't thought through the detailed implications. But in this case, it isn't relevant as this was a removal for cause.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 08:54, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

Maybe state the cause within 24 hours? How long does it take to craft a reason for some seemingly arbitrary action? If you did not have a clear reason for the action, why the hell did you do it? And why is it so hard to state it that a gross delay is required? Edison (talk) 04:26, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

Because a man's reputation is at stake here, I think it wise to take it slow here. I care more about James' future than I care about your foot stamping impatience. --Jimbo Wales (talk) 08:55, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
We will discover what "cause" in due course, I expect...

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:09 pm

I believe Jimbo is directly challenging us here at Wikipediocracy. Shall we come up with a quick list of 4 or 5 things, then someone (like Randy) can go post it back to Jimbo?
I expect they'll just wait for the next thing to distract attention and hope this dies. That seems to be the normal strategy. [[User:Intothatdarkness|Intothat]][[User_talk:Intothatdarkness|darkness]] 23:27, 29 December 2015 (UTC)

:::Can you give even one example of that ever happening? Is there some lingering question you have from some past event that you'd like to raise with the board?--[[User:Jimbo Wales|Jimbo Wales]] ([[User talk:Jimbo Wales#top|talk]]) 16:00, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:28 pm

Jim wrote:Jimbo now says the removal was "for cause"
Jimbo, will you support an amendment to the bylaws prohibiting the removal of community-elected trustees without cause? The Big Bad Wolfowitz (aka Hullaballoo) (talk) 03:28, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

I don't know, as I haven't thought through the detailed implications. But in this case, it isn't relevant as this was a removal for cause.--Jimbo Wales (talk) 08:54, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

Maybe state the cause within 24 hours? How long does it take to craft a reason for some seemingly arbitrary action? If you did not have a clear reason for the action, why the hell did you do it? And why is it so hard to state it that a gross delay is required? Edison (talk) 04:26, 30 December 2015 (UTC)

Because a man's reputation is at stake here, I think it wise to take it slow here. I care more about James' future than I care about your foot stamping impatience. --Jimbo Wales (talk) 08:55, 30 December 2015 (UTC)
It was remarkably irresponsible of him to state that it was a "removal for cause" in advance of Legal coming up with a statement that addresses the issue,while at the same time demanding that others not talk about it. But Jimbo isn't exactly known for keeping his mouth shut in situations when he ought to have done so. You'd think that after over a decade of making such mistakes over and over again, he'd eventually learn, but, no, apparently not.

Any reasonable organization would have removed him from any position of authority because of his glaring incompetence, but....

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:03 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:It was remarkably irresponsible of him to state that it was a "removal for cause" in advance of Legal coming up with a statement that addresses the issue,while at the same time demanding that others not talk about it. But Jimbo isn't exactly known for keeping his mouth shut in situations when he ought to have done so. You'd think that after over a decade of making such mistakes over and over again, he'd eventually learn, but, no, apparently not.

Any reasonable organization would have removed him from any position of authority because of his glaring incompetence, but....
Yes, indeed.

But, I have to admit, Jimbo's overt actions regarding his mouth and Heilman's reputation gives me some glimmer of hope that the "cause" for removal was "insufficient deference to Der Jimbo".

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:10 pm

It would be quite funny if Dr. Heilman decided to sue Der Jimbo and the Wikimedia Foundation for defamation on the basis of Jimbo's statement. That statement is defamatory, and Heilman likely has a fairly strong claim, especially given his occupation, for a defamation action.

I'm sure the real problem is that Dr. Heilman didn't "mesh" with the rest of the Board (not surprising, since the Board have been carefully selected, ever since the Night of Long Knives when Danny Wool tried to engineer a coup that was blocked by Kat Walsh, to be yes-men to Jimbo) and was ejected for that reason.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:04 pm

Hex wrote:
I can imagine a remake of Django Unchained starring Jimmy Wales as Old Man Carrucan and James Heilman as Django!
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:It would be quite funny if Dr. Heilman decided to sue Der Jimbo and the Wikimedia Foundation for defamation on the basis of Jimbo's statement. That statement is defamatory, and Heilman likely has a fairly strong claim, especially given his occupation, for a defamation action.
Meh, only if he actually wasnt removed for cause.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Wed Dec 30, 2015 7:43 pm

Anroth wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:It would be quite funny if Dr. Heilman decided to sue Der Jimbo and the Wikimedia Foundation for defamation on the basis of Jimbo's statement. That statement is defamatory, and Heilman likely has a fairly strong claim, especially given his occupation, for a defamation action.
No, it would also be defamation if he was removed for a "cause" that would not be generally viewed as detrimental to his reputation more generally (e.g. "didn't get along with Der Jimbo"). By not stating the reason, but stating that there was a reason, Jimbo creates an impression that Dr. Heilman's character was found wanting, and given his role as a physician, that impression alone is enough to meet the requirement for a defamation action.

Jimbo needs to learn to keep his trap shut, but it's really hard for narcissists to not babble when they think someone has wronged them.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:16 pm

If only there was a way to focus Wales's attention
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Jim wrote:Jimbo now says the removal was "for cause"

It was remarkably irresponsible of him to state that it was a "removal for cause" in advance of Legal coming up with a statement that addresses the issue,while at the same time demanding that others not talk about it. But Jimbo isn't exactly known for keeping his mouth shut in situations when he ought to have done so. You'd think that after over a decade of making such mistakes over and over again, he'd eventually learn, but, no, apparently not.

The WMF has a PR person, correct?
Can they not tell Jimbo to STFU so they can do their job?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Anroth wrote:
No, it would also be defamation if he was removed for a "cause" that would not be generally viewed as detrimental to his reputation more generally (e.g. "didn't get along with Der Jimbo"). By not stating the reason, but stating that there was a reason, Jimbo creates an impression that Dr. Heilman's character was found wanting, and given his role as a physician, that impression alone is enough to meet the requirement for a defamation action.

Jimbo needs to learn to keep his trap shut, but it's really hard for narcissists to not babble when they think someone has wronged them.
Is there anything useful that he's good at?

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:36 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:Any reasonable organization would have removed him from any position of authority because of his glaring incompetence, but....
They can't easily remove him because he's the Sole Flounder and public face of the thing. The PR would be awful.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:30 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Anroth wrote:

Difference in UK/US law then I am guessing. 'He was removed for cause' would not be considered defamation here unless he actually was not removed for cause, as its a plain statement of fact.

Which of course could change if he decided to lawyer up and prove there was no legitimate reason.

Still, Jimbo needs to keep his trap shut.

NotNormal
Critic
Wikipedia User: morning277
Actual Name: Mike Wood

Unread post by NotNormal » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:35 pm

thekohser wrote:I remember back in late March 2015, Heilman was contemplating interfering with other people's livelihoods, by "reporting" them to sites like Elance and Fiverr. I doubt that had anything to do with his dismissal from the WMF board, but it did showcase for me how much Heilman imagined himself some sort of "volunteer police officer" when it came to Wikipedia, which is rather idiotic.

I wonder who will be the first to scramble together a comment to the mailing list? Oh, heavens... I should have known.
He in fact did so. I was blocked on Elance for about a week (not that it matters is that is less than 1% of my business). I then left the site once reinstated. If he is willing to violate privacy and get others to do it as well, I don't want any part of it.
Mike Wood a.k.a morning277 a.k.a whatever in the hell Wikipedia editors want to call me today.

NotNormal
Critic
Wikipedia User: morning277
Actual Name: Mike Wood

Unread post by NotNormal » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:41 pm

Fact is, I believe DocJames was removed for his on-Wiki conduct. In addition to his vigilante tactics against paid editing, his NPOV pushing is out of control. I won't be surprised when we hear the full story behind his removal.
Mike Wood a.k.a morning277 a.k.a whatever in the hell Wikipedia editors want to call me today.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:44 pm

Hex wrote:
You sound like Jimmy Wales. The truth sometimes leaves a bitter taste.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:52 pm

Zoloft wrote:
thekohser wrote:The mainstream media has weighed in on the matter.

Gold stars to any WPO regulars who leave a comment on that story.
You have a comment now.
And tons of comments now, including a battle between me and biomedical engineer, David Richfield!

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:37 pm

thekohser wrote:
Earthy Astringent wrote:Can someone explain to someone like me who doesn't really understand how the WMF board is comprised, and what their role is in guiding the foundation, how this removal is significant? Was Hellman the only "elected" representative? If so, how did the other board members gain their seats?
Try this: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees

And this: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimed ... es#History

And this: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Hi ... _the_Board
So the chapters and "thematic" orgnaizations get seats. All politics are local.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Earthy Astringent wrote:
thekohser wrote:
Earthy Astringent wrote:Can someone explain to someone like me who doesn't really understand how the WMF board is comprised, and what their role is in guiding the foundation, how this removal is significant? Was Hellman the only "elected" representative? If so, how did the other board members gain their seats?
Try this: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees

And this: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimed ... es#History

And this: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Hi ... _the_Board
So the chapters and "thematic" orgnaizations get seats. All politics are local.
It is absurd that the inside baseball schmoozing insider buttkissers of the "chapters" have appointed set-asides instead of standing election with other candidates for community decision. That's an absolute minimum change that needs to be made with the structure of the Board.

RfB

Earthy Astringent
Banned

Unread post by Earthy Astringent » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:13 pm

I see what you are saying, but that's how it works in any political organization. Those that put in the work at the grassroots level get the power.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Earthy Astringent wrote:I see what you are saying, but that's how it works in any political organization. Those that put in the work at the grassroots level get the power.
Unless the political organization is a major US political party, of course.

Liz99
Critic

Unread post by Liz99 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:11 am

It's crazy, editors clamoring answers, demanding explanations ASAP and when Wales makes a comment, the shit really hits the fan and now people are talking about lawsuits on this thread. I guess the only Wales could have handled it better was not to communicate at all with folks on his talk page but then people would complain about him being unresponsive and not transparent.

As much as he might misstep, I think having one foot in the Board room and yet accessible to people on his talk page is a no win situation. He says too little, he's being secretive; he says too much, he's an oaf.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:16 am

Liz99 wrote:It's crazy, editors clamoring answers, demanding explanations ASAP and when Wales makes a comment, the shit really hits the fan and now people are talking about lawsuits on this thread. I guess the only Wales could have handled it better was not to communicate at all with folks on his talk page but then people would complain about him being unresponsive and not transparent.

As much as he might misstep, I think having one foot in the Board room and yet accessible to people on his talk page is a no win situation. He says too little, he's being secretive; he says too much, he's an oaf.
He's an oaf regardless of how much he says.

There might not be a person more ill suited to being the face of a charitable institution than Jimmy Donal Wales.

The only time he removes his foot from his mouth is to switch feet.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:22 am

Liz99 wrote:As much as he might misstep, I think having one foot in the Board room and yet accessible to people on his talk page is a no win situation. He says too little, he's being secretive; he says too much, he's an oaf.
It's a no-win situation for him, because he's too narcissistic to view problems from any perspective or motivation beyond that of his own need for personal self-aggrandizement. He can't manage other people's expectations because he can't really empathize with other people or understand their needs, unless of course they're completely aligned with his own. But that doesn't mean the "Jimbotalk" page isn't useful to him - in effect, it gives him a way to create the illusion that he's at least trying to manage expectations (which, under the circumstances, is about the minimum that should be expected of him). In that sense it's invaluable to him, even though there's no "win" involved - but regardless, it obviously doesn't do anyone else any good whatsoever.

Liz99
Critic

Unread post by Liz99 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:52 am

Midsize Jake wrote: It's a no-win situation for him, because he's too narcissistic to view problems from any perspective or motivation beyond that of his own need for personal self-aggrandizement. He can't manage other people's expectations because he can't really empathize with other people or understand their needs, unless of course they're completely aligned with his own. But that doesn't mean the "Jimbotalk" page isn't useful to him - in effect, it gives him a way to create the illusion that he's at least trying to manage expectations (which, under the circumstances, is about the minimum that should be expected of him). In that sense it's invaluable to him, even though there's no "win" involved - but regardless, it obviously doesn't do anyone else any good whatsoever.
It sounds like some folks here are irritated simply by his existence. Although if I bet if he had left Wikipedia once the Board was established, some people would criticize him then, too.

I'm not defending him or putting him on a pedestal and I don't see him as a pinnacle of virtue. But it seems like the dislike of Wales runs so deep and is so established that there is nothing he could ever do to change that opinion.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:53 am

Liz99 wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote: It's a no-win situation for him, because he's too narcissistic to view problems from any perspective or motivation beyond that of his own need for personal self-aggrandizement. He can't manage other people's expectations because he can't really empathize with other people or understand their needs, unless of course they're completely aligned with his own. But that doesn't mean the "Jimbotalk" page isn't useful to him - in effect, it gives him a way to create the illusion that he's at least trying to manage expectations (which, under the circumstances, is about the minimum that should be expected of him). In that sense it's invaluable to him, even though there's no "win" involved - but regardless, it obviously doesn't do anyone else any good whatsoever.
It sounds like some folks here are irritated simply by his existence. Although if I bet if he had left Wikipedia once the Board was established, some people would criticize him then, too.

I'm not defending him or putting him on a pedestal and I don't see him as a pinnacle of virtue. But it seems like the dislike of Wales runs so deep and is so established that there is nothing he could ever do to change that opinion.
We have at least 10 years of running evidence that shows him to be a person of very low character.

What do you base your opinions of him on?

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:24 am

Poetlister wrote:They can't easily remove [Jimmy] because he's the Sole Flounder and public face of the thing. The PR would be awful.
If Jimmy were removed it would be no PR problem at all for Wikipedia or WMF. You're vastly over stating his importance.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:31 am

Liz99 wrote:It sounds like some folks here are irritated simply by his existence.
It probably does seem that way on the surface, but there are lots of ways to define "existence" in this context. And what if he stops existing - do they replace him? Does he do anything currently that might call for him to be replaced? You might compare him to the upper-level manager who provides no ideas and no useful work but still gets all the credit, but then you'd have to ask "credit for what?" Few people here want to be hypocritical by implying that Wikipedia is so worthy an enterprise that anyone should get credit for it, at least in the traditional sense of the term.

Jimbo's basically just a figurehead at this point, and to the extent that Wikipedia's interests are advanced by their having a figurehead, that's certainly irritating. But lest we get too far off-topic, the issue here (which in itself is also off-topic) is whether or not the Jimbotalk page performs a positive or useful function, particularly in a case like Heilman's "removal" in which users have a legitimate reason to want an answer to a particular question - and in which Jimbo presumably knows what that answer is, and isn't saying.

More to the point, if Jimbotalk isn't positive or useful to the WP user base, and it's the only forum on Wikipedia that Jimbo actually monitors and responds in, maybe Jimbo himself isn't positive or useful to the WP user base either. Something like that, which seems so obvious to us, can become somewhat obvious even to the WP user base in situations like this one.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:43 am

There's also a bit of a 'comment bias' where the people who think he's handling it well probably aren't commenting. In my opinion he should have just directed all queries to Legal and shut up.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:34 am

Liz99 wrote:It's crazy, editors clamoring answers, demanding explanations ASAP and when Wales makes a comment, the shit really hits the fan and now people are talking about lawsuits on this thread. I guess the only Wales could have handled it better was not to communicate at all with folks on his talk page but then people would complain about him being unresponsive and not transparent.

It's two days since the Heilman/WMF announcement and nary a peep.

If the drama monster is ramping up, the Board has nobody but themselves to blame. Not a soul. It was ridiculous axing him without explanation. It doesn't take a seer to figure out how that turns out...

The whole "we removed him for cause but don't want to sully his reputation by saying what that cause is" line is also ridiculous.

Of course, now we're going into a long holiday weekend, so there will be plenty of inertia on the part of those wanting to do nothing... Mañana, mañana...

RfB

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:59 am

Liz99 wrote:I'm not defending him or putting him on a pedestal and I don't see him as a pinnacle of virtue. But it seems like the dislike of Wales runs so deep and is so established that there is nothing he could ever do to change that opinion.
Quite a few of the "old-timers" here have had the misfortune of being engaged with private correspondence with Jimmy. Hopefully that won't happen to you.
This is not a signature.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:04 am

Zoloft wrote:There's also a bit of a 'comment bias' where the people who think he's handling it well probably aren't commenting. In my opinion he should have just directed all queries to Legal and shut up.
Considering how well practiced he is in letting threads run out of steam and letting the archive bot sweep it away, one has to just step back and be awestruck at the stupidity of commenting on this on his talk page... but then again Ms. Marsden probably wouldn't be surprised.
This is not a signature.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:36 am

There are lots of people who manage to walk the line that he's tripping over constantly; it's not that it's impossible to do it, it's just that Jimbo does not know how, nor recognizes that he's failing to do so.

In this case all he had to do was say "The decision we regretfully reached today was made in the best interests of the organization. A more complete statement will be forthcoming shortly." And yet he can't even manage that.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:38 am

Kelly Martin wrote:
There are lots of people who manage to walk the line that he's tripping over constantly; it's not that it's impossible to do it, it's just that Jimbo does not know how, nor recognizes that he's failing to do so.

In this case all he had to do was say "The decision we regretfully reached today was made in the best interests of the organization. A more complete statement will be forthcoming shortly." And yet he can't even manage that.
To be honest, that''s what the PR person from the WMF should be doing.

Jimbo shouldn't be saying shit.
In a real organization, they'd have his nuts in the wringer.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:25 am

Vigilant wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:

The WMF Board hires the Executive. JW is a Board Member for Life, as far as I am aware. Ergo, there is nobody to put his gonads into a pulverizing device. He's sort of like the barely functional owner of a football team with a dysfunctional front office. The Daniel Snyder of online information services...

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:05 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:

The WMF Board hires the Executive. JW is a Board Member for Life, as far as I am aware. Ergo, there is nobody to put his gonads into a pulverizing device. He's sort of like the barely functional owner of a football team with a dysfunctional front office. The Daniel Snyder of online information services...

RfB
They bylaws are able to be amended.
This is a prime example of why they should be.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:12 am

Randy from Boise wrote:It is absurd that the inside baseball schmoozing insider buttkissers of the "chapters" have appointed set-asides instead of standing election with other candidates for community decision. That's an absolute minimum change that needs to be made with the structure of the Board.
The real change would be to go back to the membership structure that Alex Roshuk created for the organization in the first place, with dues-paying members who would elect a majority of the board in the same way that most other non-profit organizations elect their governing bodies. But Der Jimbo didn't like those bylaws, undermined them from the day they took effect, and surreptitiously amended them to change the WMF into a non-member organization in (I believe) 2007 in order to ensure that nobody would ever undercut Jimbo's authority to exercise control the organization.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:32 am

Kelly Martin wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:It is absurd that the inside baseball schmoozing insider buttkissers of the "chapters" have appointed set-asides instead of standing election with other candidates for community decision. That's an absolute minimum change that needs to be made with the structure of the Board.
The real change would be to go back to the membership structure that Alex Roshuk created for the organization in the first place, with dues-paying members who would elect a majority of the board in the same way that most other non-profit organizations elect their governing bodies. But Der Jimbo didn't like those bylaws, undermined them from the day they took effect, and surreptitiously amended them to change the WMF into a non-member organization in (I believe) 2007 in order to ensure that nobody would ever undercut Jimbo's authority to exercise control the organization.
It is definitely a structure designed to perpetuate his own individual control — 10 member board, of which his seat permanent; appointed majority; ability to remove elected members with simple majority vote with or without cause... If he were a strong political personality actually interested in exerting central control, it's hard to design a more perfect apparatus for that.

That's not really how JW rolls, however. His day-to-day control over En-WP is dwindling and if he has significant control over daily operations of the cancerously-growing San Francisco office, I'm not seeing it. He's got it on cruise control, his celebrity as Public Face of Wikipedia strokes his ego and helps keep the honoraria rolling in. He remains an "internet entrepreneur" in the final analysis.

Just to be clear: I think WP gains by having a de facto celebrity such as JW as its public face. The problems start when he tries to intervene. He needs to take a page from Queen Elizabeth and butt out. Buy a dozen corgis, remodel the mansion in the country...

RfB

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:39 am

Randy from Boise wrote:

It's two days since the Heilman/WMF announcement and nary a peep.

If the drama monster is ramping up, the Board has nobody but themselves to blame. Not a soul. It was ridiculous axing him without explanation. It doesn't take a seer to figure out how that turns out...
Damn you lot are so stupid it is no wonder you are in chains.

You are dysfunctional, separated and unable to effect the organization required to effect a common cause. Like all web2.0rhea sites the management will sit back until you have all finished frothing and got the fuck over whatever it is you are in a lather about. None of you or at least not enough of you will do anything to affect the money coming in. Your editing activities can all be replaced by a new starry-eyed 13yo. The only person that thinks that you are important to WP is yourselves. Get over it, get back to sucking shit through a straw, or leave.

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:43 am

Vigilant wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:

I for one welcome our Dear Leader's pronouncements. It is always good for information's sake to have an unguarded statement rather than some banal PR statement.

That is not to deny that Jimbo's foot is permanently in his mouth. Or that his statement was mostly useless. But I would like him to run his mouth off as much as possible.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:48 pm

Latest is that he wouldn't keep his big fat gob shut.

According to Patricio Lorente
I want to be very clear that the Board decision was not about a difference
of opinion on a matter of WMF direction or strategy between James and the
other Trustees. Over the course of the past few months, the Trustees had
multiple conversations around expectations for Trustee conduct,
responsibilities, and confidentiality. Ultimately, the majority of the
Trustees came to the opinion that we were not able to reach a common
understanding with James on fulfilling those expectations. We have a duty
as a Board to ensure we all abide by our roles and responsibilities as an
essential condition for effective governance.
now the rest of you can shut the fuck up too:
Since all members of the Board are appointed by the Board itself, the Board retains the ability
to manage its composition as necessary to maintain the working environment
required to be effective.
From our viewpoint, our actions around the removal are concluded.
Bigger caliber straws will be provided in the near future

Kingsindian
Habitué

Unread post by Kingsindian » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:20 pm

Link.
Over the course of the past few months, the Trustees had
understanding with James on fulfilling those expectations.
Someone able to parse that bit of PR-speak?

As far as I can see, the rest is just a big "gfy".
Last edited by Kingsindian on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Drijfzand
Critic

Unread post by Drijfzand » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
Kumioko wrote:they vote out the only (as far as I know) member of the board with a Doctoral degree.
A medical doctor is a professional degree, like a law degree, which does not require or involve research (apart from joint M.D./Ph.D.).

In the U.S., medical doctors in have had scientific courses on the level of B.S.E. or B.S. courses, and they usually are smart.
In Sweden, medical students have had straight A's in gymnasium, so they are quite smart (and good at short-term memorization).

Doc James has been discussed before, and I don't trust him.
I don't trust him either.
I'm more willing to give the WMF, rather than Doc James, the benefit of the doubt in this case.
Tweaker in Metropolis

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:24 pm

Kingsindian wrote: Someone able to parse that bit of PR-speak?
I did.

thekohser
Majordomo

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:55 pm

Kingsindian wrote:Link.
Over the course of the past few months, the Trustees had
understanding with James on fulfilling those expectations.
Someone able to parse that bit of PR-speak?

As far as I can see, the rest is just a big "gfy".
First, here's a link to the statement. (I would like to encourage our contributors here to provide a linked URL when you quote something from somewhere on the web.)

My own interpretation of the mealy-mouthed blather from Patricio Lorente -- and keep in mind, my brain is rich and full of wild conjecture -- is that there is something unsavory going on with one or more of the board members, or with one of the executives of the Wikimedia Foundation, and that Doc James believes that this unsavory behavior should be exposed to the wider world, while the rest of the board believes it should remain covered up. So, they ejected James, and they're hoping that he keeps his trap shut, "for the good of the movement".

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:07 pm

Kingsindian wrote: Link.
Patricio Lorente wrote:Over the course of the past few months, the Trustees had
multiple conversations around expectations for Trustee
  • conduct,
    responsibilities, and
    confidentiality.
Ultimately, the majority of the Trustees came to the opinion that we were not able to reach a common understanding with James on fulfilling those expectations. We have a duty
as a Board to ensure we all abide by our roles and responsibilities as an
essential condition for effective governance.
Extended quotation by KW
Thus, either Patricio Lorente is engaging in obfuscation or Patricio is accusing James Heilman of the following:
1. Failure to perform a responsibility:
  • 1.a) James was given a responsibility to perform.
    1.b) James failed to do so.
    1.c) James was notified that his failure to perform his responsibility was serious.
    1.d) James was given a new responsibility to perform.
    1.e) James failed to do so.
The responsibility could be maintaining confidentiality or having a conflict between James's role as a board-member and other roles, since he seems to be the board-member most active with projects associated with the WMF.

Greg's instincts are often useful.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)