December 2015 Arbitration Committee Elections

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
tarantino
Habitué
kołdry

Re: December 2015 Arbitration Committee Elections

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:02 pm

Dennis Brown wrote:As you have observed, a few admin make a few edits every year just to keep it, and I've seen one or two make that only edit per year at WP:BN, if you want to go look them up. I don't think that is in the spirit of the policy for retention.

I understand an admin wanting to take a half year break from admin duties and just do light editing, and keeping the tools for moving articles or more editorial type tasks, but not just parking on the bit as a badge of honor, year after year.
El_C (T-C-L), 11 edits in 6 years, just so he can view deleted revisions "for research".

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:22 pm

Why not? It'd be very interesting to see what sort of job ArbCom's greatest critics make of arbitrating. I'd even go so far as to suggest that should not all places be filled, Jimmy coopt some of the greatest critics onto the committee. Would that result in deadlock? Or would realpolitik kick in and editors be forced to cooperate? Roger Davies talk 07:44, 12 November 2015 (UTC)
I'm your Huckleberry...

Why that's just my game...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:18 am

Black Kite wrote:
Salvidrim wrote:
Black Kite wrote:Hawkeye is an interesting one. If elected, he would be at a disadvantage in some cases because not having the admin flag, he couldn't see deleted material etc. I believe it was once said that if a non-admin was elected they would be given the flag. But Hawkeye was actually desysopped under a cloud with him requiring an RfA to get it back. That could be mildly amusing.

It's been confirmed by WMF Legal that being elected at ArbCom is considered at least equivalent to passing an RfA, thus if a non-admin is elected he would still be granted CU/OS/Admin flags.
Yeah, that was sort of my point - that someone who was desysopped for misuse of the admin flag could be given even stronger permissions, not because they'd passed an RfA, but because they'd got more votes than a certain amount of other random people. That might not go well.
Particularly since the threshold for passing RfA is 70-80%, rather than Arbcom's getting 50% of the vote and not being as disliked as JClemens....
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Dennis Brown
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Dennis Brown
Actual Name: Dennis Brown

Unread post by Dennis Brown » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:21 pm

tarantino wrote:
Dennis Brown wrote:As you have observed, a few admin make a few edits every year just to keep it, and I've seen one or two make that only edit per year at WP:BN, if you want to go look them up. I don't think that is in the spirit of the policy for retention.

I understand an admin wanting to take a half year break from admin duties and just do light editing, and keeping the tools for moving articles or more editorial type tasks, but not just parking on the bit as a badge of honor, year after year.
El_C (T-C-L), 11 edits in 6 years, just so he can view deleted revisions "for research".
That would be a prime example. Having one year with only a few edits isn't such a big deal, real life gets in the way, but this example is the poster child for gaming the system to keep the authority of being an admin without actually fulfilling any of the duties that were expected when it was granted.

Some admin only use the tools for editing, moving new articles over directs or merging content but they don't block or patrol admin areas. They tend to be more error prone, protecting pages they are editing, for instance, but those are rare and minor problem. I don't have a problem with that as they are contributing to the project.
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” - Douglas Adams
"My patience is formidable.... But it is not infinite." - Scorpius (Farscape)

unwanted
Critic
Wikipedia User: Kww

Unread post by unwanted » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:59 pm

Black Kite wrote:Hawkeye is an interesting one. If elected, he would be at a disadvantage in some cases because not having the admin flag, he couldn't see deleted material etc. I believe it was once said that if a non-admin was elected they would be given the flag. But Hawkeye was actually desysopped under a cloud with him requiring an RfA to get it back. That could be mildly amusing.
Hmmm .... I wonder what it would be like if two such candidates ran.

Newyorkbrad
Gregarious

Unread post by Newyorkbrad » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:56 pm

unwanted wrote:
Two already are.

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:01 pm

Newyorkbrad wrote:
unwanted wrote:
Two already are.
And they both have precisely zero chance of getting elected. Along with nearly every other person currently running.

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:07 pm

Thryduulf just put himself back up for re-election. That makes 12 candidates now.
(All proceeds donated to Save the Content Writers.)

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:10 pm

Peryglus wrote:Thryduulf just put himself back up for re-election. That makes 12 candidates now.
He may pass, but frankly I think most of the community is tired of this Arbcom and even the ones that support the Arbcom seem to want a change. This last group has been some of the most ineffectual group the community has seen. They never complete cases on time, their motives and determinations are often jaded and questionable. None of the current ones need to stay. They need to go and edit, which is what the project is supposed to be about and quite judging the ones who are doing the work the project was created for.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:51 pm

tarantino wrote: El_C (T-C-L), 11 edits in 6 years, just so he can view deleted revisions "for research".
What an embarrassment.
Dennis Brown wrote: Some admin only use the tools for editing, moving new articles over directs or merging content but they don't block or patrol admin areas.
Yes, that's basically where I'm at these days. There's a strong argument for unbundling of the tools to accommodate people who want this role.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:24 pm

slacker wrote:to offend a Brit any more, you would need to reach for the more targeted nuclear options (i.e., pedo or nigger).

Discuss.
OK. If you were familiar with English usage in Britain, you'd know it's paedo, not pedo. Next!
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

slacker
Banned

Unread post by slacker » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:30 am

Poetlister wrote:
slacker wrote:to offend a Brit any more, you would need to reach for the more targeted nuclear options (i.e., pedo or nigger).

Discuss.
OK. If you were familiar with English usage in Britain, you'd know it's paedo, not pedo. Next!
Whatever. You know I'm right

unwanted
Critic
Wikipedia User: Kww

Unread post by unwanted » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:13 am

Newyorkbrad wrote:
unwanted wrote:
Two already are.
Who's the other desysopped admin?

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:41 am

unwanted wrote:Who's the other desysopped admin?
Rich Farmbrough.
RF, in answer to Beeblebrox ([url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2015/Candidates/Rich_Farmbrough/Questions#Question_from_Beeblebrox][i]link...[/i][/url]) wrote:As my candidate statement says I was an admin, and I have been on the wrong side of ArbCom. A "Remedy" of the case was removal of my admin bit. It is not possible to say why my admin bit was removed, because the case does not link "findings" to "remedies". However the only finding that related directly to admin tools was later found to be factually wrong and was struck, albeit rather grudgingly.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:15 am

Rembrandt
Contributor

Unread post by Rembrandt » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:47 am

Anthonyhcole
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:32 am

Yep. I like her approach at ANI (in the few cases I've seen where she's involved). She's more likely to use the lightest touch necessary to achieve genuine resolution.
Last edited by Anthonyhcole on Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:35 am

Anthonyhcole wrote:
Yep. She's an adroit dispute resolver at ANI (in the few cases I've seen where she's involved).
Agree. My first definite "Support" out of 15. (there are also 2 maybes).

Rembrandt
Contributor

Unread post by Rembrandt » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:43 am

Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2015/Candidates/Kudpung/Statement (T-H-L)
I’ve been waiting for this one and would very much like him to be on Arbcom just to see him bring down the whole committee, paving the way for much needed reform. His behavior in the Xtools mailing list is nothing short of appalling.

Peryglus
Banned

Unread post by Peryglus » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:49 am

Rembrandt wrote:Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2015/Candidates/Kudpung/Statement (T-H-L)
I’ve been waiting for this one and would very much like him to be on Arbcom just to see him bring down the whole committee, paving the way for much needed reform. His behavior in the Xtools mailing list is nothing short of appalling.
From his statement:
Kudpung wrote:I have no designs on reforming the Arbcom
(All proceeds donated to Save the Content Writers.)

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:55 am

Rembrandt wrote:Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2015/Candidates/Kudpung/Statement (T-H-L)
I’ve been waiting for this one and would very much like him to be on Arbcom just to see him bring down the whole committee, paving the way for much needed reform.
We've often said "hasten the day" before. This is the guy, folks. Vote early, vote often. Then vote again. :rotfl:

I'm a bit disappointed Chief Petty Officer Mitchell isn't there as his back-slapping ticket partner, but I guess you can't have every ROTFL moment at once...
His behavior in the Xtools mailing list is nothing short of appalling.
I know. I've seen that before. What an obnoxious, self-important, clueless, vindictive, ludicrous arse. (He's "Chris" there, by the way, for our casual readers)
He'll fit right in. Got my vote as president-elect for "Team Hasten". :D

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:01 pm

Kudpung left a particularly nasty message on Eric Corbett's talkpage and then took a month off editing Wikipedia.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:30 pm

GorillaWarfare is standing for re-election.

There are currently 17 candidates standing, and I could support at least 7 of them. It is looking more hopeful that there will be at least 9 reasonable candidates by the end of Tuesday. Some of the more trenchant critics may think slightly differently...

Of those seven arbs whose terms end this year, two have submitted for re-election: GorillaWarfare and Thryduulf. The other five are: Seraphimblade, Roger Davies, AGK, NativeForeigner, and LFaraone. Does anyone know if any of them have publicly disclosed their intentions (I think NativeForeigner has said he does not intend to run again, can't remember anything about the others).

Rembrandt
Contributor

Unread post by Rembrandt » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:37 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:Kudpung left a particularly nasty message on Eric Corbett's talkpage and then took a month off editing Wikipedia.
When Eric called him out on it, he simply vanished. He is smart, I give him that - he just disappeared and disassociated himself with BARC when it got torpedoed.

Read Wikipedia_talk:Guidance_for_younger_editors#We_should_give_the_opposite_advice (T-H-L) Very insightful, don't you think?

For someone who blabs about detesting COI all the time, he certainly has Ultralingua (T-H-L) to his credit. Ultralingua Auf Deutsch
Last edited by Rembrandt on Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Carcharoth wrote:It is looking more hopeful that there will be at least 9 reasonable candidates by the end of Tuesday.
I'm still stuck on there being only one good candidate at the moment. And two I'm not sure of so far. Do you have inside information?

Carcharoth
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Carcharoth

Unread post by Carcharoth » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:46 pm

No inside information. Just probably have lower standards. And I did say "reasonable" not "good"...

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:58 pm

Carcharoth wrote:No inside information. Just probably have lower standards. And I did say "reasonable" not "good"...
You did. My apologies.

I had a hope you might know of a really good candidate who was planning to stand "by the end of Tuesday". Sorry for that.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Jim wrote:
Carcharoth wrote:It is looking more hopeful that there will be at least 9 reasonable candidates by the end of Tuesday.
I'm still stuck on there being only one good candidate at the moment. And two I'm not sure of so far. Do you have inside information?
Given that the last 2 years has seen our Arbs performing violations, manipulations and disregard for policy; outing; predetermining the outcome of cases before the evidence is reviewed; failure to deal with several longterm problematic admins, they didn't take BASC seriously, cases are always late, etc. I would not vote for anyone who is on the current list of Arbs. They had their chance and failed, time to move on.

I also would not vote for Kudpung. Anyone who runs needs to do some changes to the Arbcom so anyone who isn't running on a platform for changes to the committee wouldn't get my vote. The committee needs to get back to what they are supposed to do. They are doing too much they shouldn't be doing and its causing them to fail at the things they are supposed to be doing.

Rembrandt
Contributor

Unread post by Rembrandt » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:45 pm

3 female candidates! Wikipedia:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2015/Candidates/Keilana/Statement (T-H-L)

btw is there a chance of Gorman actually making it into arbcom, given all the drama? Seriously asking.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:26 pm

This election has the likely outcome of producing the very worst ARBCOM ever.

I can't wait.
:popcorn:
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Updated: I forgot to credit and welcome Rembrandt for this post:
Rembrandt wrote:
Moral Hazard wrote:Kudpung left a particularly nasty message on Eric Corbett's talkpage and then took a month off editing Wikipedia.
When Eric called him out on it, he simply vanished. He is smart, I give him that - he just disappeared and disassociated himself with BARC when it got torpedoed.
Read Wikipedia_talk:Guidance_for_younger_editors#We_should_give_the_opposite_advice (T-H-L) Very insightful, don't you think?
For someone who blabs about detesting COI all the time, he certainly has Ultralingua (T-H-L) to his credit. Ultralingua Auf Deutsch
Following Rembrandt's advice, I read that discussion with a shudder, even after I remembered that Kudpung (T-C-L)rivaled Demiurge1000 (T-C-L)for his concern about children's access to Wikipedia.
There may be some ways round the problem but first we must be absolutely clear that we must not encourage young people to engage in private conversations with strangers on the internet.
I do find it a little hard to understand what circumstances in Wikipedia require a private conversations. Could you give me some examples of when they might be required. Martin Hogbin (T-C-L) 13:07, 12 June 2015 (UTC)

That last sentence is a very sweeping question. One might just as well ask why we have open gatherings such as meet-ups and Wikimania and then suggest that we should ban chidren from going to them for their own safety. I think it's time to refocus this discussion. Or close it.
Kudpung (T-C-L) กุดผึ้ง 23:02, 12 June 2015 (UTC)

Martin,
I have had dozens of private conversations with younger editors, on-Wiki, by email, per Skype, and at meet ups and several Wikimanias, does that make me a predator? I think you are looking for reds under the beds. Obviously you would prefer that Wikipedia closes down every avenue of interaction except article and user talk pages - at least that's what it's getting to look like. Or perhaps you think it would be easier to simply ban children from the project - for their own safety of course. And of course, just don't send kids to distant-learning schools, you never know what the teachers have lined up for them.
Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 13:12, 13 June 2015 (UTC)

, no one has yet given me an example of a situation in which a private interaction is necessary. Martin Hogbin (talk) 14:34, 13 June 2015 (UTC)

And you have not provided one single piece of evidence where a private interaction on the Wikipedia of millions of contributors has developed into an unethical and/or illegal situation between an adult and a minor. "...there are some bad people on the internet who seek out youngsters to exploit and abuse." Sure, but those bad people are not all on Wikipedia which has a very low proportion of young users compared to the traditionl venues such as MySpace, FaceBook, Twitter, and thousands of other MMORPG and fora, the sum total of which is far more vast than the world's #6 website.

Just to put this in perspctive, going to school is just about the most dangerous thing a child can do. Not only in my own experience at school as a child 60 yeas ago, but every state school where I have worked has a history of at least one improper situation, not to mention the dozens of predators all lurking outside the school gates. But was I putting myself at risk for choosing a job that put me alone in classrooms of 11-year-olds, or 1-on-1 extra tuition, or taking groups of them on school trips abroad? By your reckoning, probably, and you will be out there advising graduates with a PGCE to "Just don't go into teaching or any other job that puts you near children." I understand your concerns but at the same time I feel you should stay within the understanding of the relative importance of things and maintain a sense of proportion.

"What has changed over the last few decades is the realisation that being 'respectable' [...] does not in any way guarantee the good intentions of a person. In fact some people get themselves into these positions with the ultimate aim of abusing those that they have authority over."
What in fact has changed over the 60 years since I went to school is that due to investigative journalism, TV news and documentaries, people are more aware of the signs of it and the youngsters themselves are less afraid and/or embarrassed to speak to someone about it.

I doubt that the WMF sees itself in the role of child minder, indeed, the Foundation is openly withdrawing more and more from involvement in the running of the individual Wikis. To be sure, we need to find a solution for the eventuality that a young editor needs a 'go to' person. There could be the possibilty of them sending their concerns to the Arbcom mailing list, but if I recall correctly, psychologically people prefer to confide in a person they trust rather than a faceless anonymous group. Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 22:59, 13 June 2015 (UTC)
Given his comments over the years, Jimbo Wales or the WMF should prevent Kudpung from being an arbitrator or gaining check-user tools.
If he is elected, I'm pretty sure Wikipediocracy would feature a blogpost introducing Kudpung as a posterboy for the WMF and Wales.

Again, welcome, Rembrandt!
:welcome:
Last edited by Moral Hazard on Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:53 pm

Names to faces
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... a_2013.JPG

Self identified on wiki - from here.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... alvern.jpg
Author self, Wikipedia User:Kudpung (Chris Carter-Smith). Original uploader was Kudpung at en.wikipedia

Rembrandt
Contributor

Unread post by Rembrandt » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:59 pm

The second one is not him.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:03 pm

Rembrandt wrote:The second one is not him.
Yeah, I saw that as I was posting it. In the wrong category on Commons, what are the odds?

Rembrandt
Contributor

Unread post by Rembrandt » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:08 pm

User:Reaper Eternal/Election thoughts 2015 (T-H-L)
I have had the pleasure of many positive interactions with Kudpung. He is a very experienced administrator with a thoughtful demeanor. His temperament is exactly the type I want to see on ArbCom. Easy support.
Yup. Rooting for him.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Rembrandt wrote:User:Reaper Eternal/Election thoughts 2015 (T-H-L)
I have had the pleasure of many positive interactions with Kudpung. He is a very experienced administrator with a thoughtful demeanor. His temperament is exactly the type I want to see on ArbCom. Easy support.
Yup. Rooting for him.
Looks like a great candidate for a long dig.
I've got a soccer game to go coach, but preliminary searches are turning up some pretty odd connections.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:40 pm

:) :) :)

Hmm, at first look I think it is fair chance I will vote for all three. I didn´t vote for Gorilla when she last ran...I thought she was too much of a "light weight" ...but I have been quite positively surprised by her since. Yes, I will vote for her this time.

Btw, of the persons eligible to vote for arb.com; what % is female? Does anyone have any idea?

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:47 pm

Vigilant wrote:Names to faces
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... a_2013.JPG

Self identified on wiki - from here.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... alvern.jpg
Author self, Wikipedia User:Kudpung (Chris Carter-Smith). Original uploader was Kudpung at en.wikipedia
I remember him taking this picture I was in the room and remember seeing them standing there.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:59 pm

Rembrandt wrote:btw is there a chance of Gorman actually making it into arbcom, given all the drama? Seriously asking.
Yes, there's a chance. Welcome to wikipedia. Seriously answering.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Peryglus wrote:
From his statement:
WP:AGF, we assume that this statement is true. However, firstly, he doesn't say "I promise that I will never make any attempt to reform the Arbcom", just that he isn't thinking of it at present. Secondly, if he is as bad as you suggest, he might trigger some major change without intending to.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

AnonymousPoster
Contributor

Unread post by AnonymousPoster » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:40 pm

As with anyone, I disagree with some of her opinions. However, at the moment she's by far one of the best (if not the best) standing candidates, and almost definitely has my support. She seems to be very practical, which is desperately needed on ArbCom. (They say they aren't a court, but they act so much like one, with all the legalese and tedious procedures.)

slacker
Banned

Unread post by slacker » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:42 am

Dennis Brown has officially ruled himself out. I'm genuinely gutted, as I think the only thing that can save other Wikipedians from his fringe, is the inevitably humbling experience of an absolute pasting at the polling booth. Just the thought of what sort of questions he could have been asked, had me getting all giddy with anticipation.

Could you please explain the circumstances and reasons that led you to place this curious message at the top of the talk page for WikiProject:Editor Retention (T-H-L)?
No group that discriminates may advertise here or be in any way a part of WER.
Discrimination is 100% against the entire mission here and will neither be endorsed nor tolerated
(answer: he was outraged that Lightbreather advertised her females only Wikipedia safe space trial at WT:WER)

That one question alone would probably torpedo his 2016 candidacy, given the slowly turning tide against Wikipedia's locker-room culture. But even if not, there's a hundred more gaffes just like it in his history, and even more to come this year too I'm sure.

Rembrandt
Contributor

Unread post by Rembrandt » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:17 am

Vigilant wrote:Looks like a great candidate for a long dig.
I've got a soccer game to go coach, but preliminary searches are turning up some pretty odd connections.
Nah, nothing interesting there.
Jim wrote:
Rembrandt wrote:btw is there a chance of Gorman actually making it into arbcom, given all the drama? Seriously asking.
Yes, there's a chance. Welcome to wikipedia. Seriously answering.
I doubt it now, the Eric camp certainly doesn't wan't him around and the people pitching for Eric to get site banned needs to look somewhere else - User talk:Worm That Turned/ACE2015 (T-H-L)
a couple years ago given the opportunity I would've voted to siteban Eric in a heartbeat. Given how significantly he's reformed in terms of civility, I'd no longer support doing so...Best, [[User:Kevin Gorman|Kevin Gorman]] ([[User talk:Kevin Gorman|talk]]) 22:25, 14 November 2015 (UTC)
Poetlister wrote:
WP:AGF, we assume that this statement is true. However, firstly, he doesn't say "I promise that I will never make any attempt to reform the Arbcom", just that he isn't thinking of it at present. Secondly, if he is as bad as you suggest, he might trigger some major change without intending to.
Nah, he'll withdraw at the last minute. Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections December 2015/Candidates/Kudpung/Questions (T-H-L)
If you would care to repair the damage you have done to the format of the page, I might, but only might, care to provide an answer. --Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 03:19, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
That's a crap question and a borderline veiled PA. It should be removed. Do you think I'm running in this election for a joke or something?
All questions are optional. I do not intend to be a spokesperson for Arbcom. Nor do I believe the Committee needs one. Arbcom is not a local police force whose ACC goes on telly to report on the progress of a murder investigation. Are you related to the Press?
Some of those questions really nearly made me vomit and I won't provide answers that pander to their pompous arrogance just to get their vote. Arbcom election is not supposed to be RfA Mk.II It’s a shame that some editors are turning the question section into a farce. They are either fishing for opinions on their own actions in the past, or fishing for answers to general knowledge that they didn't learn in grade school or can’t be bothered to look up themselves. Some are just veiled PA designed to disparage the candidate.
Like RfA , it’s hardly surprising that not many people out of our thousands of editors and admins are prepared to step forward. Perhaps it would be a good idea to abolish the questions section for future elections, and give the candidates more than only 400 words. Voters should do their own research and vote as they think appropriate. A secret poll is quite different from RfA and the community needs to understand that an Arbcom election is not an RfA re-run and another venue to throw shit at people with impunity. I'm in the running but I'm still not wholly convinced that a seat on the Committee is what I really want and I'm fully capable of withdrawing at the drop of a hat before or even after the event. [[User:Kudpung|Kudpung กุดผึ้ง]] ([[User talk:Kudpung|talk]]) 05:36, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
Last edited by Rembrandt on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:13 am

As someone who ran last year and answered all the questions, you're gonna need a thicker skin than that and a better sense of humor.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

AnimuAvatar
Critic

Unread post by AnimuAvatar » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:31 am

It's a shame the pie lady isn't running this year.
>greentext
>on a Wikipedia criticism board
ishygddt

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:38 am

AnimuAvatar wrote:It's a shame the pie lady isn't running this year.
It was under consideration a week ago:
Shall you run for arbcom this year? --DSA510 Pls No Bully 16:50, 9 November 2015 (UTC)

Maybe. I need to get better at pies, though. I need to see if I can get exactly three times as many opposes as supports. -— Isarra ༆ 20:49, 9 November 2015 (UTC)

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:47 am

Zoloft wrote:As someone who ran last year and answered all the questions, you're gonna need a thicker skin than that and a better sense of humor.
Well - the sense of humour is shining right on through:
Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee Elections December 2015/Candidates/Kudpung/Questions
Questions from Leaky
...you rely in part on your experience as an educationalist to support your dispute resolution attributes. Would you say you were more like Wackford Squeers, Mr Chips or Douglas Hector in the History Boys?
Answer
Please repair the damage you have done to the format of this page, and remove your arrogant demand from the answer box. Thanks.Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 07:03, 15 November 2015 (UTC)

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:47 am

Jim wrote:
AnimuAvatar wrote:It's a shame the pie lady isn't running this year.
It was under consideration a week ago:
Shall you run for arbcom this year? --DSA510 Pls No Bully 16:50, 9 November 2015 (UTC)

Maybe. I need to get better at pies, though. I need to see if I can get exactly three times as many opposes as supports. -— Isarra ༆ 20:49, 9 November 2015 (UTC)
If she runs, I'll pledge my support by opposing.
:fan:

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:27 pm

Kudpung wrote:Please repair the damage you have done to the format of this page, and remove your arrogant demand from the answer box. Thanks.Kudpung กุดผึ้ง (talk) 07:03, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
And now I just want to cry.
Not for the first time Kudpung, you've jumped to the wrong conclusion. The "arrogant demand" is created by the markup syntax we are required to use when placing questions for candidates. Maybe someone with greater technical knowledge than me can sort out the "damage"? There is an existing discussion elsewhere regarding the candidate markup issues. As for your message on my talk page, forget it. I know the answer. By the way, I am responding here in continued obedience to your talk page ban you dished out because I annoyed you a couple of years ago - as you do with anyone who disagrees with you and your view of WP. Leaky Caldron 10:08, 15 November 2015 (UTC)
That's probably sufficient. Kudpung is now irretrievably damaged as a candidate (and rightly so). That's enough, though, I think. Mission accomplished. Let him go off and lick his self-inflicted wounds.

NativeForeigner
Contributor
Wikipedia User: NativeForeigner
Wikipedia Review Member: NativeForeigner

Unread post by NativeForeigner » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:37 pm

Carcharoth wrote:GorillaWarfare is standing for re-election.

There are currently 17 candidates standing, and I could support at least 7 of them. It is looking more hopeful that there will be at least 9 reasonable candidates by the end of Tuesday. Some of the more trenchant critics may think slightly differently...

Of those seven arbs whose terms end this year, two have submitted for re-election: GorillaWarfare and Thryduulf. The other five are: Seraphimblade, Roger Davies, AGK, NativeForeigner, and LFaraone. Does anyone know if any of them have publicly disclosed their intentions (I think NativeForeigner has said he does not intend to run again, can't remember anything about the others).
Probably won't. I've had several people ask me to which surprised the hell out of me, and somewhat tipped the scales, and if I did run I'd probably include somewhat of a disclaimer that I'd take a 4-6 week break probably somewhere around february, but I probably ought just bail. It largely depends on candidate pool and if a lot of people really actually want me to run.

But yeah, 90% won't. I think part of the inner conflict is that there were fights I didn't fight that I ought to have due to time/energy, and it sucks knowing that I didn't when I should have. On the other hand if I would replace an arbitrator who I was in disagreement with even not entirely complete engagement and fighting on all matters would be better than some. Given that we had a ton of individuals on arbcom more or less go entirely inactive recently, some of whom are running, I suppose my threshold for what I consider to be active is a bit higher than what some others have set.

Feel free to yell at me either way here.