Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Jim
Blue Meanie
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Steward elections

Unread post by Jim » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:41 am

Ok, so today, wikipedia gives me a banner: "The steward elections have started - please vote"

I click on it, and get this:

If I stare at it, I can see about 2, maybe 3 names I have ever seen before.
I see exactly none I know anything at all about.

Are these guys just meta career "politicians", alt accounts for folks we know, or what?

How on earth would I cast an informed vote?

EricBarbour

Re: Steward elections

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:11 am

Link for the lazy:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Stewards/Elections_2015

Avjoska is an admin on Estonian WP.

Cekli829 is from Azeri WP.

DidiWeidmann is Swiss and spends a lot of time on Esperanto WP.

Einsbor is from Polish WP.

Jusjih is Chinese, former steward.

Linedwell is an admin on French WP.

MarcoAurelio "As of today I am a sysop and bureaucrat on the Spanish Wikibooks and Meta-Wiki (where I am also a CheckUser) and I have held administrator permissions on the Spanish Wikipedia and at Wikimedia Commons. I also was a member of the OTRS system." I've seen him arguing with people on Commons occasionally.

Mys_721tx admin and CU on Chinese WP.

Natuur12 sysop on Dutch WP, was on Commons and used to fight with Russavia.

Pmlineditor is from Bangladesh: "Currently, I am an admin and a bureaucrat in the Simple English Wikipedia, and an admin on Meta-Wiki, English Wikiquote & Simple English Wiktionary." Also a "global sysop".

Ruy Pugliesi bureaucrat on Portuguese WP. Another "global sysop". Yes, there is now a "global sysop" position.

Stryn is an admin and arbitrator on Finnish WP, and a big-shot on Wikidata. Yet another "global sysop".

Taketa is an bureaucrat and former arbitrator on Dutch WP.

Vodomar is a longtime admin on Croatian WP.

That's why you've seen so little of them--they tend to stay off English WP.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:23 am

Ok, I can probably vote for Natuur12 then. :D

It's probably understandable they are not visible at en.wiki, since it has its own functionaries and stewards pretty much never need to act there.

Still, I was asked to vote, and it would take me half a day to do enough research to do that conscientiously. Guess that's just inevitable, with such a sprawling system.
Meta is the Brussels of the wmf, I suppose.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:23 pm

EricBarbour wrote: MarcoAurelio "As of today I am a sysop and bureaucrat on the Spanish Wikibooks and Meta-Wiki (where I am also a CheckUser) and I have held administrator permissions on the Spanish Wikipedia and at Wikimedia Commons. I also was a member of the OTRS system." I've seen him arguing with people on Commons occasionally.
Having seen some of those arguments, he totally has my vote.

JCM
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: John Carter

Unread post by JCM » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:30 pm

Jim wrote:Ok, so today, wikipedia gives me a banner: "The steward elections have started - please vote"

I click on it, and get this:

If I stare at it, I can see about 2, maybe 3 names I have ever seen before.
I see exactly none I know anything at all about.

Are these guys just meta career "politicians", alt accounts for folks we know, or what?

How on earth would I cast an informed vote?
I remember in at least one previous election Thelmadatter was running, and she at least spoke English, even if she is a college professor in Mexico. And she was really instrumental, so far as I can remember, in the developing the classroom system. But I have to think that, maybe, for whatever reason, the comparatively minor and obscure English language WMF entities might maybe not get that much attention from many of these people? I've got nothing against any of the more successful non-English language entities maybe getting on board to teach us a few things, but being the parochial little bastard I am I have to think that maybe at least one editor who knew something about our trivial little English language entities would be maybe more likely to get my vote than many of these.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:31 pm

As you can see, I decided not to stand.

I shall vote for Jusjih though; he's honest and conscientious, and has experience on English WQ.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:10 am

Poetlister wrote:As you can see, I decided not to stand.
That sentence is missing a word or a phrase at the end. For example: "twice" or "more than just the three times".
-----------
Notvelty

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:03 pm

Jim wrote:How on earth would I cast an informed vote?
You're not supposed to. The stewards are intended as a counterweight to the English Wikipedia and all the filthy nasty Americans who hang out there. As a result, they would prefer that people whose first language is English, and especially Americans, not participate at all in steward elections as that just skews the results. It is virtually impossible for an American to get elected steward anymore, and Brits are only slightly less intolerable in this regard.

Steward is the political landing zone for people who want influence in the Wikimedia sphere but who are not seeking to actually work for the WMF, choosing instead to try to land grants through the WMF's funds dissemination process and, of course, to get a "scholarship" to go to the annual party. Being a steward is a virtual lock on a scholarship if you should want one.

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:07 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Jim wrote:How on earth would I cast an informed vote?
You're not supposed to. The stewards are intended as a counterweight to the English Wikipedia and all the filthy nasty Americans who hang out there. As a result, they would prefer that people whose first language is English, and especially Americans, not participate at all in steward elections as that just skews the results. It is virtually impossible for an American to get elected steward anymore, and Brits are only slightly less intolerable in this regard.
Kelly, you have this uncanny ability, and I can't quite put my finger on what it's called - but I think it might be called "putting your finger on it". Thank you.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:57 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:The stewards are intended as a counterweight to the English Wikipedia and all the filthy nasty Americans who hang out there. As a result, they would prefer that people whose first language is English, and especially Americans, not participate at all in steward elections as that just skews the results. It is virtually impossible for an American to get elected steward anymore, and Brits are only slightly less intolerable in this regard.

Steward is the political landing zone for people who want influence in the Wikimedia sphere but who are not seeking to actually work for the WMF, choosing instead to try to land grants through the WMF's funds dissemination process and, of course, to get a "scholarship" to go to the annual party. Being a steward is a virtual lock on a scholarship if you should want one.
Quotable yet again.

spartaz
Critic
Wikipedia User: Spartaz
Wikipedia Review Member: Spartaz

Unread post by spartaz » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Jim wrote:Ok, I can probably vote for Natuur12 then. :D
:rotfl: :bow: Genuinely made me giggle...
Evil by definition
Badly spelled by crappy tablet
Humbugg!

Jim
Blue Meanie

Unread post by Jim » Sat Feb 14, 2015 5:48 pm

spartaz wrote:
Jim wrote:Ok, I can probably vote for Natuur12 then. :D
Genuinely made me giggle...
Actually, thanks for posting that - you reminded me to go and vote.

Natuur12 seemed to have all the "right" opposers, so I supported.
I took Anroth's recommendation on MarcoAurelio, and supported there, too.

Rest of em, meh, don't know, don't care, not interested enough to find out - so that part of the system works.