Examining Arbcom 2015

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Examining Arbcom 2015

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Konveyor Belt wrote:So in the aftermath of the LB case, is this new ArbCom the worst ever, or at least one of the worst in a while? It's beginning to look that way for me. Its members are weak, vacillating, and will never stick out their necks to do what is right. Not to mention they've made gaffes worse than Dick Cheney made in his day, like the advice in a proposed principle that editors who have been harassed should "lie low" like their dealing with the stereotypical pissed-off mafia boss.
Even worse, to my mind, is that individual arbs have allowed group think to dominate their positions.
If you can't even propose something unless everyone else agrees, ban Scalhotrod for gross offwiki stalking and sexual harassment, for example, then minority dissent is meaningless.

There really needs to be some sort of impeachment process for ARBCOM.

:popcorn:
Nah, elections are annual. It takes six months to figure out if someone is a problem, a month to run an impeachment proceeding, and six weeks to run an election. By that time you're into the next election campaign, practically.

You might get stuck with somebody for a year (I'd love a do-over on Courcelles, for example), but the group refreshes through normal elections rapidly enough.

This ArbCom sorely misses New York Brad, that's for sure. He bailed them out on Lightbreather with their harassment resolution, which he wrote on the talk page and they ported over — saving them from a potential public relations debacle.

RfB
Oh, I think that's a way too optimistic outlook.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:43 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Konveyor Belt wrote:So in the aftermath of the LB case, is this new ArbCom the worst ever, or at least one of the worst in a while? It's beginning to look that way for me. Its members are weak, vacillating, and will never stick out their necks to do what is right. Not to mention they've made gaffes worse than Dick Cheney made in his day, like the advice in a proposed principle that editors who have been harassed should "lie low" like their dealing with the stereotypical pissed-off mafia boss.
Even worse, to my mind, is that individual arbs have allowed group think to dominate their positions.
If you can't even propose something unless everyone else agrees, ban Scalhotrod for gross offwiki stalking and sexual harassment, for example, then minority dissent is meaningless.

Nah, elections are annual. It takes six months to figure out if someone is a problem, a month to run an impeachment proceeding, and six weeks to run an election. By that time you're into the next election campaign, practically.

You might get stuck with somebody for a year (I'd love a do-over on Courcelles, for example), but the group refreshes through normal elections rapidly enough.

This ArbCom sorely misses New York Brad, that's for sure. He bailed them out on Lightbreather with their harassment resolution, which he wrote on the talk page and they ported over — saving them from a potential public relations debacle.

RfB
Can we compromise on "greatly attenuating a public relations debacle"???

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

RfB
Can we compromise on "greatly attenuating a public relations debacle"???

RfB
How about, as a counter offer, "Shit the bed just slightly less than they had moments before"?

In the words of a one person on the PD/talk page
I do not believe the principle regarding not "fighting back" against harassment has been phrased strongly enough. I therefore modestly propose that the language "For example, editors threatened with sexual assault should be prepared to lie back and enjoy it." Perhaps other editors can swiftly provide other useful additions. The Big Bad Wolfowitz (aka Hullaballoo) (talk) 23:43, 12 July 2015 (UTC)
It's still pretty bad.

Perhaps SV should dust off her block buttons and indef Scalhotrod just to break the ice.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:36 am

Randy from Boise wrote:Nah, elections are annual. It takes six months to figure out if someone is a problem, a month to run an impeachment proceeding, and six weeks to run an election. By that time you're into the next election campaign, practically.

2 year terms though, correct?
This is not a signature.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:55 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:Nah, elections are annual. It takes six months to figure out if someone is a problem, a month to run an impeachment proceeding, and six weeks to run an election. By that time you're into the next election campaign, practically.

Sometimes people get appointed for just one year.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:06 am

Poetlister wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:

Sometimes people get appointed for just one year.
But only the ones who end up being undesirable, of course.
This is not a signature.

Oblia
Banned

Unread post by Oblia » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:49 pm

DeltaQuad: Aaron or Amanda? Man or woman?

Hell in a Bucket sniped at Djembayz on Jimbo's talk page, saying that GorillaWarfare is not the only woman arbitrator and that DeltaQuad is a woman, too. DQ is signing their posts as "Amanda," but I see at this Wikipedia Review page - http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?sh ... &show=&st=& - a copy of an email from DQ that says: DeltaQuad - Aaron Passley (North Bay, ON) for those who don't know me. (deltaquad at live.ca)
General Ripper: As human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.
Captain Mandrake: Yes. (he begins to chuckle nervously)
Ripper: Are you beginning to understand?
Mandrake: Yes. (more laughter)

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:00 pm

Oblia wrote:DeltaQuad: Aaron or Amanda? Man or woman?

Hell in a Bucket sniped at Djembayz on Jimbo's talk page, saying that GorillaWarfare is not the only woman arbitrator and that DeltaQuad is a woman, too. DQ is signing their posts as "Amanda," but I see at this Wikipedia Review page - http://wikipediareview.com/index.php?sh ... &show=&st=& - a copy of an email from DQ that says: DeltaQuad - Aaron Passley (North Bay, ON) for those who don't know me. (deltaquad at live.ca)
Sometimes Aarons become Amandas. Welcome to the postpostmodern world we are free to share.
This is not a signature.

MMAR
Banned
Wikipedia User: Mighty Morphin Army Ranger

Unread post by MMAR » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:22 pm

Maybe arbitrators are like baby crocodiles? When the heat gets too much (over their collective gender blindness), one of them undergoes a biological sex change in an attempt at self-correction of the population.....

All I can say for their sake is I hope DeltaQuad is female, as I don't think this is the kind of practical joke Wikipedia would be able to survive in the current climate.

And anyway, what kind of point is that even? Hey! Don't accuse us of being male-dominated....there are 2 women on the 15 person arbitration committee, not 1!!! Classic Wikipedian logic. Even when they're right, they're so very very wrong.

SB_Johnny
Habitué

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:31 pm

MMAR wrote:Maybe arbitrators are like baby crocodiles? When the heat gets too much (over their collective gender blindness), one of them undergoes a biological sex change in an attempt at self-correction of the population.....

All I can say for their sake is I hope DeltaQuad is female, as I don't think this is the kind of practical joke Wikipedia would be able to survive in the current climate.

And anyway, what kind of point is that even? Hey! Don't accuse us of being male-dominated....there are 2 women on the 15 person arbitration committee, not 1!!! Classic Wikipedian logic. Even when they're right, they're so very very wrong.
Hey, that's twice as many as the "critics" say, after all. :banana:

Honestly I'm more interested in whether the arbs are sensible people than I am in whatever it is they have in their undies. If it's a dude pulling a Poetlister, please provide evidence. If not, let's just take her word for it.
This is not a signature.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:41 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
MMAR wrote:Maybe arbitrators are like baby crocodiles? When the heat gets too much (over their collective gender blindness), one of them undergoes a biological sex change in an attempt at self-correction of the population.....

Honestly I'm more interested in whether the arbs are sensible people than I am in whatever it is they have in their undies. If it's a dude pulling a Poetlister, please provide evidence. If not, let's just take her word for it.
Is that what we're calling it now?

Sheesh...kids these days.

MMAR
Banned

Unread post by MMAR » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:43 pm

I'm happy to assume it's not a joke, but that's only because it's an arbitrator. I have no problem imagining that a normal editor, even some admins, would think it would be a hilarious practical joke in the current climate to simply change gender just to prove a point - the one here being the well worn one that says that since you can't ever know the gender of specific users, thinking about the gender gap at all is a complete waste of time. The evident incompetence of many of the arbitrators is a concern, that's not to say their gender imbalance isn't an issue as well (and that's also not to say they would become competent if there were 6 boys and 6 girls in the tree house). If it wants to be part of the 21st Century, Wikipedia really should be aiming for an arbitration committee made up of 6 girls and 6 boys, all competent, and ideally with a representative mix of all the other attributes found in wider society - age, race, class, etc.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:44 pm

MMAR wrote:I'm happy to assume it's not a joke, but that's only because it's an arbitrator. I have no problem imagining that a normal editor, even some admins, would think it would be a hilarious practical joke in the current climate to simply change gender just to prove a point - the one here being the well worn one that says that since you can't ever know the gender of specific users, thinking about the gender gap at all is a complete waste of time. The evident incompetence of many of the arbitrators is a concern, that's not to say their gender imbalance isn't an issue as well (and that's also not to say they would become competent if there were 6 boys and 6 girls in the tree house). If it wants to be part of the 21st Century, Wikipedia really should be aiming for an arbitration committee made up of 6 girls and 6 boys, all competent all paid employees, and ideally with a representative mix of all the other attributes found in wider society - age, race, class, etc.

Cedric
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Edeans
Wikipedia Review Member: Cedric
Actual Name: Eddie Singleton

Unread post by Cedric » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:36 am

Vigilant wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:

Is that what we're calling it now?

Sheesh...kids these days.
It's all fun and games until someone interferes with your enjoyment of a sandwich.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:44 am

DeltaQuad's FB profile pic, updated April 12 2015.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:18 am

My guess is that his use of "Amanda" is a simple pronunciation gag (i.e., "a man, duh!").

And really, who wouldn't resort to simple pronunciation gags under the circumstances?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:56 am

tarantino wrote:

I can't bring myself to check OKCupid.

Oblia
Banned

Unread post by Oblia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:55 am

tarantino wrote:DeltaQuad's FB profile pic, updated April 12 2015.
Gender "female" as of today: https://en.wikipedia.org/w/api.php?acti ... rop=gender
2015-08-24 22.08.19.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
General Ripper: As human beings, you and I need fresh, pure water to replenish our precious bodily fluids.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:46 am

tarantino wrote:

The picture there shows a person w. a masculinely cleft jaw. Not hating, but do I have to accept him as female the instant he says his name is "Amanda?"
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:55 am

Triptych wrote:
tarantino wrote:

The picture there shows a person w. a masculinely cleft jaw. Not hating, but do I have to accept him as female the instant he says his name is "Amanda?"
Shirley you will?

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:20 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Triptych wrote: The picture there shows a person w. a masculinely cleft jaw. Not hating, but do I have to accept him as female the instant he says his name is "Amanda?"
Shirley you will?
Yes. And don't call me Shirley.

My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:23 pm

Joking aside, I've met people of a variety of genders and their bodily appearance is not a 1:1 mapping with their preference of gender pronoun or even "gender" of their name. If someone tells you their choice of gender, you should respect it.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Salvidrim
Critic
Wikipedia User: Salvidrim!
Actual Name: Ben Landry

Unread post by Salvidrim » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:20 pm

Hex wrote:Joking aside, I've met people of a variety of genders and their bodily appearance is not a 1:1 mapping with their preference of gender pronoun or even "gender" of their name. If someone tells you their choice of gender, you should respect it.
That, and not everybody "comes out" in every sphere of their life at the same time, so perhaps she feels comfortable enough on Wikipedia, but not on Facebook (where there may be RL implications). :)

Stan Dixon
Contributor
Wikipedia User: don't have one
Wikipedia Review Member: standixon
Actual Name: Stan Dixon

Unread post by Stan Dixon » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:50 pm

An example of AGF?

How about the unlamented Tarc, who used to claim to be black?

Is this another game player on the internet?

Was the particular individual being referred to in this thread "pretending to be a man on the internet"?
wikipedia will remain forever the domain of the frustrated amateur and the mentally ill.

Konveyor Belt
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: formerly Konveyor Belt

Unread post by Konveyor Belt » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:03 pm

Salvidrim wrote:
Hex wrote:Joking aside, I've met people of a variety of genders and their bodily appearance is not a 1:1 mapping with their preference of gender pronoun or even "gender" of their name. If someone tells you their choice of gender, you should respect it.
That, and not everybody "comes out" in every sphere of their life at the same time, so perhaps she feels comfortable enough on Wikipedia, but not on Facebook (where there may be RL implications). :)
I don't know what the situation is with DQ, but if you decide to announce such a major life decision on Wikipedia first and foremost, it may be time to seriously examine your life priorities.
Always improving...

Oblia
Banned

Unread post by Oblia » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:41 pm

The point is, Hell in a Bucket said that GorillaWarfare isn't the the only woman arbitrator. In terms of filling WP's gender gap, it's not that simple.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:59 pm

Oblia wrote:The point is, Hell in a Bucket said that GorillaWarfare isn't the the only woman arbitrator. In terms of filling WP's gender gap, it's not that simple.
Perhaps the WMF could ask around 30% of their editors to change their gender and, spontaneously, the gender gap is closed.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:09 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Oblia wrote:The point is, Hell in a Bucket said that GorillaWarfare isn't the the only woman arbitrator. In terms of filling WP's gender gap, it's not that simple.
Perhaps the WMF could ask around 30% of their editors to change their gender and, spontaneously, the gender gap is closed.
Oddly enough this probably wouldnt bother the men that much. In my experience the biggest push-back for transgenders identifying as women is from other women. "You dont have the history of being female to be able to have an opinion!" etc etc

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:28 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Funny!
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:35 pm

Anroth wrote:Oddly enough this probably wouldnt bother the men that much. In my experience the biggest push-back for transgenders identifying as women is from other women. "You dont have the history of being female to be able to have an opinion!" etc etc
Those are referred to as "TERFs" (Trans-Exclusive Radical Feminists) by most folks in the punditocracy, and (with some exceptions) by feminists themselves. They're considered to be a decreasing minority within feminist ranks, but as far as Wikipedia goes, who knows. In theory, I suppose you could sort-of assume that women on Wikipedia tend to be a little rougher-edged than most because they're such a small minority there, and they have to put up with a fair amount of male-majority cluelessness about issues that concern them, if not outright sexism in many cases. But even if that's true, there may not be any real correlation between them and TERFs.

Ultimately I'd say you're right about the men though, and I'd really say most Wikipedians - male and female - aren't going to be bothered by this if it turns out User:DeltaQuad is, in fact, in the midst of an actual gender transition and isn't playing some sort of (stupid, unfunny, tasteless, etc.) practical joke on the Wikipedia "community." There will be a few bothered-people though - and whether their numbers are enough for people in the real world to take notice is probably the more pertinent question, if you ask me.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:57 pm

Midsize Jake wrote: They're considered to be a decreasing minority within feminist ranks, but as far as Wikipedia goes, who knows.
I would agree they are a minority, however as far as wikipedia (and even the general internet) vocal minorities often shout louder than the sensible majority.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:01 pm

Zoloft wrote:Shirley you will?
Shirley Brooks (T-H-L)

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:18 am

Poetlister wrote:
Shirley Brooks (T-H-L)
Shirley Crabtree (T-H-L)

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:40 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Anroth wrote:Oddly enough this probably wouldnt bother the men that much. In my experience the biggest push-back for transgenders identifying as women is from other women. "You dont have the history of being female to be able to have an opinion!" etc etc
Those are referred to as "TERFs" (Trans-Exclusive Radical Feminists) by most folks in the punditocracy, and (with some exceptions) by feminists themselves. They're considered to be a decreasing minority within feminist ranks, but as far as Wikipedia goes, who knows. In theory, I suppose you could sort-of assume that women on Wikipedia tend to be a little rougher-edged than most because they're such a small minority there, and they have to put up with a fair amount of male-majority cluelessness about issues that concern them, if not outright sexism in many cases. But even if that's true, there may not be any real correlation between them and TERFs.

Ultimately I'd say you're right about the men though, and I'd really say most Wikipedians - male and female - aren't going to be bothered by this if it turns out User:DeltaQuad is, in fact, in the midst of an actual gender transition and isn't playing some sort of (stupid, unfunny, tasteless, etc.) practical joke on the Wikipedia "community." There will be a few bothered-people though - and whether their numbers are enough for people in the real world to take notice is probably the more pertinent question, if you ask me.
This:
Their truth is not my truth. Their female identities are not my female identity. They haven’t traveled through the world as women and been shaped by all that this entails. They haven’t suffered through business meetings with men talking to their breasts or woken up after sex terrified they’d forgotten to take their birth control pills the day before. They haven’t had to cope with the onset of their periods in the middle of a crowded subway, the humiliation of discovering that their male work partners’ checks were far larger than theirs,

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:23 pm

But if someone falsely concludes from a CheckUser spin that an innocent unrelated editor is a sockpuppet of mine (as DeltaQuad has done, I believe numerous times), then you shouldn't respect that.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:25 pm

The Adversary wrote: This:
Their truth is not my truth. Their female identities are not my female identity. They haven’t traveled through the world as women and been shaped by all that this entails. They haven’t suffered through business meetings with men talking to their breasts or woken up after sex terrified they’d forgotten to take their birth control pills the day before. They haven’t had to cope with the onset of their periods in the middle of a crowded subway, the humiliation of discovering that their male work partners’ checks were far larger than theirs,
A very interesting essay.

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:51 pm

The Adversary wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

This:
Just as putting on black face doesn't make you black.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:48 pm

Vigilant wrote: Just as putting on black face doesn't make you black.
Hex is gonna get you if you don't watch out.

"You are what you pretend to be" is today's PC norm. Biology Schmiology...

RfB

Oblia
Banned

Unread post by Oblia » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Thanks for that link. It articulates some of my feelings on the subject. However, you left off the end of the paragraph you quoted.
, or the fear of being too weak to ward off rapists.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:46 pm

the humiliation of discovering that their male work partners’ checks were far larger than theirs,
That happens to men too sometimes.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:47 pm

I have trans friends in various stages of transition, and it's very real to them.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

MMAR
Banned

Unread post by MMAR » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:32 am

Quite. Over here in Britain, people have been legally entitled to choose their gender since 2004, with absolutely no reference to whatever may or may not be present between the legs - and with no requirement for that change to be discernable on your new personal identification documents. You do actually have to prove your transition is real and sincere though, and you're not simply doing it for a laugh or to make a point.

Salvidrim
Critic

Unread post by Salvidrim » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:45 am

Zoloft wrote:I have trans friends in various stages of transition, and it's very real to them.
Thanks. Considering that the Facebook account that was "discovered" by some poking sleuths earlier in this thread has now changed name, I'd hope this will put to rest any lingering doubt that the on-wiki signature change might be illegitimate in any way.
thekohser wrote:
Hex wrote:If someone tells you their choice of gender, you should respect it.
But if someone falsely concludes from a CheckUser spin that an innocent unrelated editor is a sockpuppet of mine (as DeltaQuad has done, I believe numerous times), then you shouldn't respect that.
You're free to disrespect or criticize DQ's actions as a CU all you want, that's the whole point of this forum, isn't it? But to quote Zoloft's reasonable advice:
Zoloft wrote:Criticize people's actions, words, and ethics. We discourage criticizing people because of their appearance, gender, or sexuality.
But I'm just being a pedantic and biased newbie trying to tell the veterans things they know far better than I do. ;)

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:22 am

Zoloft wrote:I have trans friends in various stages of transition, and it's very real to them.
You can say the same about UFO abuctees.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:32 am

Moral Hazard wrote:
You want an interesting and educational afternoon? Buy someone who is serious about their transition a cup of coffee and just listen for an hour or two.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Salvidrim wrote:Thanks. Considering that the Facebook account that was "discovered" by some poking sleuths earlier in this thread has now changed name, I'd hope this will put to rest any lingering doubt that the on-wiki signature change might be illegitimate in any way.
It appears you've been doing some sleuthing yourself, as Tarantino didn't link to the Facebook account. How can you tell it changed names?

Salvidrim
Critic

Unread post by Salvidrim » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:58 pm

I thought it was pretty clear from my other posts in this thread that I am a friend of DQ

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:16 pm

Zoloft wrote:
Moral Hazard wrote:
You want an interesting and educational afternoon? Buy someone who is serious about their transition a cup of coffee and just listen for an hour or two.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Oblia wrote:
Thanks for that link. It articulates some of my feelings on the subject. However, you left off the end of the paragraph you quoted.
, or the fear of being too weak to ward off rapists.
Actually, I did that on purpose. It has never been a big part of my life.
I´m an old troll, though I´m one of the smaller people in the family I was born into (none of the younger (under 40years) females are under 1,80 cm) I´ve just not been much afraid of that.
Poetlister wrote:
the humiliation of discovering that their male work partners’ checks were far larger than theirs,
That happens to men too sometimes.
Yeah, well: when I was 18, and had my first "serious" summer-job, two months at a factory. My country had just passed a law at the time: equal pay for equal work. So what did they do? Placed me in the "female" assembly -line work, while placing my male colleagues in "supervising"-jobs, .......paying 20% more. I protested, saying I could do the "supervising"-job (which included some heavy lifting of material to the assembly -line.) My male colleague (=another student on a summer job) agreed to swap for a day....turned out I *could* do the work perfectly well.....still got sent back to my old work, with 20% less pay.

No, men do not experience that.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:16 pm

HRIP7 wrote:
Poetlister wrote:
Shirley Brooks (T-H-L)
Shirley Crabtree (T-H-L)

<cheesy inappropriate joke> Now, I'll readily accept Mr. Crabtree as a gender switcher. </cheesy inappropriate joke>