So....anyone need a job?

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
EricBarbour

kołdry

So....anyone need a job?

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:40 am

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: So....anyone need a job?

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:50 am

EricBarbour wrote:https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/137 ... bs_biz_pub

Probably for Jorm's position..... :rotfl:
Can't be.

Courage, Whiskey, Steel Wool, No Fucking Around never mentioned in ad.

Perhaps they are hiring a professional software engineer to take over Brandon's myriad, failed roles...
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:27 am

WMF blatherbrains wrote: Wikimedia’s Collaboration team is looking for a front-end developer who wants an exciting challenge. We are building the future of how our communities communicate in a multi-device world crossing desktop, handsets and tablets. Our volunteers are building the sum of all human knowledge, and we want to give them the best possible tools to discuss and collaborate. We need our features to be beautiful, usable, and performant and lead the web forward.

You’ll join an established team focused on the Flow project, evolving how our discussion and collaboration systems work, enabling both new and experienced editors to continue building content on Wikipedia and its fellow projects, across all languages.
Performant?!?!

I see they're still spending money pushing their fur-lined Flow pickle jar.

Stupid shits.

RfB

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:29 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
WMF blatherbrains wrote: Wikimedia’s Collaboration team is looking for a front-end developer who wants an exciting challenge. We are building the future of how our communities communicate in a multi-device world crossing desktop, handsets and tablets. Our volunteers are building the sum of all human knowledge, and we want to give them the best possible tools to discuss and collaborate. We need our features to be beautiful, usable, and performant and lead the web forward.

You’ll join an established team focused on the Flow project, evolving how our discussion and collaboration systems work, enabling both new and experienced editors to continue building content on Wikipedia and its fellow projects, across all languages.
Performant?!?!

Stupid shits.

RfB
They're building the next generation FlashLight without a hole.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Sparky
Critic

Unread post by Sparky » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:20 am

A Wellness Program which provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, massages, cooking classes and much more. 401(k) retirement plan with matched contributions of 4% of annual salary.
Say goodbye to worries about whether you can charge that massage to your expense account. It's covered.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:31 am

I am not sure why they are advertising that? The skillset required is pretty basic. They could throw a rock at any technical college and hit a dozen candidates....

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:05 pm

Anroth wrote:I am not sure why they are advertising that? The skillset required is pretty basic. They could throw a rock at any technical college and hit a dozen candidates....
They've probably already done something as dumb as actually throw rocks at candidates.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

spartaz
Critic
Wikipedia User: Spartaz
Wikipedia Review Member: Spartaz

Unread post by spartaz » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Maybe they are Simply looking for the best possible candidate instead of the usual nepotism?
Evil by definition
Badly spelled by crappy tablet
Humbugg!

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:13 am

Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

Performant?!?!

Stupid shits.

RfB
I swear to god that said Fleshlight when I wrote it.
Which one of you turds changed it?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:15 am

spartaz wrote:Maybe they are Simply looking for the best possible candidate instead of the usual nepotism?
Occam's_razor (T-H-L)

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:20 am

Zoloft wrote:
Anroth wrote:I am not sure why they are advertising that? The skillset required is pretty basic. They could throw a rock at any technical college and hit a dozen candidates....
They've probably already done something as dumb as actually throw rocks at candidates.
I interviewed several people for a position of a similar standard in a different field just before Christmas. Throwing rocks would have been a kindness.
-----------
Notvelty

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:13 am

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:58 am

Vigilant wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:

Performant?!?!

Stupid shits.

RfB
I swear to god that said Fleshlight when I wrote it.
Which one of you turds changed it?
Hang on, I'll check the logs. Your post time stamp: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:29 am
Moderator logs for that date:
EricBarbour 76.191.202.31 Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:22 am Merged posts into topic » Derrick Coetzee thread
That was the only mod action for that date.
I blame either spellcheck, leprechauns, or your approaching dotage (note the capitalized 'L'). :rotfl:

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

The Joy
Habitué
Wikipedia Review Member: The Joy

Unread post by The Joy » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:03 am

Randy from Boise wrote:

Performant?!?!

Stupid shits.

RfB
I saw that the WMF wanted someone with a Library Science degree for the "Community Advocate" position. I applied months ago, but they declined.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/123 ... tails_text

I still haven't figured out exactly what they want. I thought the primary job duties focused on child protection, banning pedophiles, and sending the police after the perverts. I guess that was not correct? I re-read that job description multiple times before writing my cover letter and tried to touch on each of the duties, but I was still confused. Don't ask me why they want a librarian as a "Community Advocate" kicking perverts out. Unless...
(And, no, I would not divulge any private information if I ever do get a WMF job, especially regarding child protection. I want the perverts gone and locked away in a prison or asylum! I can't help but think that being a U.S. Southerner made them think I would not fit with their Silicon Valley West Coast techie culture even though the job says I could have worked remotely.)
"In the long run, volunteers are the most expensive workers you'll ever have." -Red Green

"Is it your thesis that my avatar in this MMPONWMG was mugged?" -Moulton

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:40 pm

The Joy wrote:(And, no, I would not divulge any private information if I ever do get a WMF job, especially regarding child protection. I want the perverts gone and locked away in a prison or asylum! I can't help but think that being a U.S. Southerner made them think I would not fit with their Silicon Valley West Coast techie culture even though the job says I could have worked remotely.)
That's not it. They are following the typical Valley trajectory; only hiring young, stupid, hardworking people who are willing to put in long hours for low pay. You're too old and too well-educated, and so they can't exploit you. Plus, you're not a longtime insider. Ever wondered how pub-crawling bastards like Keyes and Forrester managed to scrape up the money to move from the UK to San Francisco? Probably they received "special treatment", including a moving bonus. I suspect that only their trusted fellow backstabbers get such extras.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:55 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
The Joy wrote:(And, no, I would not divulge any private information if I ever do get a WMF job, especially regarding child protection. I want the perverts gone and locked away in a prison or asylum! I can't help but think that being a U.S. Southerner made them think I would not fit with their Silicon Valley West Coast techie culture even though the job says I could have worked remotely.)
That's not it. They are following the typical Valley trajectory; only hiring young, stupid, hardworking people who are willing to put in long hours for low pay.
The best and saddest part about this is that they need people who've done a bunch of this stuff before, successfully, to pave a path toward some sort of sanity/stability in their engineering department.

They have yet to make a milestone on time with a functional product for any major effort.

That's just embarrassing.

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:21 am

EricBarbour wrote: That's not it. They are following the typical Valley trajectory; only hiring young, stupid, hardworking people
There are two thoughts here

1) If only
2) Not for long
-----------
Notvelty

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:13 am

Notvelty wrote:
EricBarbour wrote: That's not it. They are following the typical Valley trajectory; only hiring young, stupid, hardworking people
There are two thoughts here

1) If only
2) Not for long
I'm sure they work very hard.
They just have no fucking clue what they're trying to do.

Triptych
Retired
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

Unread post by Triptych » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:53 pm

It's not a paying job but I noticed Wikipedia Signpost is taking applications for a new editor-in-chief: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 76311.html.

They must be in dire straits if none of the experienced editors there want to step up to the "in-chief" spot and so must cast about for a newcomer.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:46 pm

Triptych wrote:It's not a paying job but I noticed Wikipedia Signpost is taking applications for a new editor-in-chief: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 76311.html.

They must be in dire straits if none of the experienced editors there want to step up to the "in-chief" spot and so must cast about for a newcomer.
Maybe they've started to realize that everyone they meet on wikipedia is incompetent...

Perhaps someone with paid, successful experience as an editor might be a good choice?

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:00 pm

I applied.

Maybe you're looking at the next editor of the Signpost!
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:26 pm

thekohser wrote:I applied.

Maybe you're looking at the next editor of the Signpost!
Have fun working with Tony1.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:22 am

So tempted to apply for that....

Especially after the transcript crap.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:02 am

:lmao:

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:08 am

The Adversary wrote:
:lmao:
One of these days someone is going to say 'yes' to a Wikipediocrian and be immensely shocked at our competency.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:37 pm

Zoloft wrote:Wikipediocrian
Is that term official now? I kinda like it, I think.

I had a bad few seconds in a thread a few days ago trying to decide what term to use in that context.

I settled for "Wikipediocracites", as I recall. Too long, and clumsy, though.

I think I might, in some ways, prefer "Wikipediocrats", but I'm far from entirely convinced. It could sound a bit pompous, and too close to that "bureaucrat" thing I can never spell...

Maybe we need an RFC? :blink:

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:01 pm

Wikipediocrat?

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:04 pm

Lukeno94 wrote:Wikipediocrat?
And I thanked you for paying attention in another thread. :blink:
Check my post.
Jim wrote:I think I might, in some ways, prefer "Wikipediocrats", but I'm far from entirely convinced. It could sound a bit pompous, and too close to that "bureaucrat" thing I can never spell...
Maybe my unexpected change to plural was confusing. Or my wordiness. :grouphug:

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:24 pm

Nope, it was the fact that I didn't pay attention this time. :facepalm:

Johnny Au
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Johnny Au
Actual Name: Johnny Au

Unread post by Johnny Au » Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:36 pm

Wikipediocrat is what I prefer.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:06 am

We have very little official anything.

In the beginning of this site back in March 2012, after trying to come up with our official TLA (T-H-L), we just divided into the WPO and WO camps.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:21 pm

Johnny Au wrote:Wikipediocrat is what I prefer.
"Wikipedos" was rejected early on, however "the human wikipedes" was a favorite of some.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:54 pm

WIPO's?

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:12 pm

Anroth wrote:WIPO's?
We've been outsourced now?
-----------
Notvelty

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:26 am

Triptych wrote:"Wikipedos" was rejected early on, however "the human wikipedes" was a favorite of some.
Folks, it is time to pay the server bills here at Wikipediocracy. If everyone would donate the cost of an overpriced Starbucks latte, we could end this fundraising appeal this month. However, to keep WO free of annoying banner ads, we have decided to produce and sell a Men of Wikipediocracy ("Wikipedos in Speedos") calendar to raise much needed hosting costs. (Inspired by NSFW http://www.warwickrowers.org/product/wa ... -calendar/ ) Mr. Fae has donated his services as our photographer. If you are willing to pose, please contact Wikipediocracy management.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:12 am

eagle wrote:
Triptych wrote:"Wikipedos" was rejected early on, however "the human wikipedes" was a favorite of some.
Folks, it is time to pay the server bills here at Wikipediocracy. If everyone would donate the cost of an overpriced Starbucks latte, we could end this fundraising appeal this month. However, to keep WO free of annoying banner ads, we have decided to produce and sell a Men of Wikipediocracy ("Wikipedos in Speedos") calendar to raise much needed hosting costs. (Inspired by NSFW http://www.warwickrowers.org/product/wa ... -calendar/ ) Mr. Fae has donated his services as our photographer. If you are willing to pose, please contact Wikipediocracy management.
Our server bills are paid by outright irritation, thank you very much.

"Would you like to make people grind their teeth in angry, helpless frustration?"
"What kind of people?"
"The people who run Wikipedia."
"Shut up and take my money!"

Our fundraising is usually over before it begins.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:44 pm

Another vacant job is Chief Exec of WMUK. Here's the draft spec; are any Britons here interested?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:53 pm

Vigilant wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Probably for Jorm's position..... :rotfl:
Can't be.

Courage, Whiskey, Steel Wool, No Fucking Around never mentioned in ad.
So much for all that dragon slaying he was droning on at us about at Wikimania. Any bets as to whether his absence will be officially acknowledged at the next one, or will he simply be unpersoned in best Party style?
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:49 am

The Joy wrote:I re-read that job description multiple times before writing my cover letter and tried to touch on each of the duties, but I was still confused. Don't ask me why they want a librarian as a "Community Advocate" kicking perverts out.
Because the person they had already decided to hire for the job before they posted it had a library science degree, natch.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:22 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:Because the person they had already decided to hire for the job before they posted it had a library science degree, natch.
Given there are only three people I know of who have such a degree.....

Phoebe? They ought to do something to reward her for twelve years of ass-kissing and four years of sitting on the Board. If you can call this job a "reward". I was under the impression that her job at UC Davis was too cushy and had great fringe benefits, far better (and more stable) than anything the WMF could offer.

Rob Fernandez? Believable. He would be much worse than Jorm. If you think Jorm's blathering was silly, brace yourselves for the Fernandez way of "dealing with the public".

Goodman? Thought he was retired and unwilling to move to California.

I might point out that NONE of these people is a qualified software developer. But of course that doesn't mean shit in Wikimedia Land.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:58 pm

EricBarbour wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:Because the person they had already decided to hire for the job before they posted it had a library science degree, natch.
Given there are only three people I know of who have such a degree.....

Phoebe? They ought to do something to reward her for twelve years of ass-kissing and four years of sitting on the Board. If you can call this job a "reward". I was under the impression that her job at UC Davis was too cushy and had great fringe benefits, far better (and more stable) than anything the WMF could offer.

Rob Fernandez? Believable. He would be much worse than Jorm. If you think Jorm's blathering was silly, brace yourselves for the Fernandez way of "dealing with the public".

Goodman? Thought he was retired and unwilling to move to California.

I might point out that NONE of these people is a qualified software developer. But of course that doesn't mean shit in Wikimedia Land.
Nonsense. It means they'll be in excellent company at the WMF.

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:04 am

What about Sadads (T-C-L), a.k.a. Alex Stinson?
The Interior (T-C-L)?

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:21 am

It's not a job but it is paid. The WMF just started accepting "scholarship applications" for Wikimania 2015 in Mexico City. You have to actually go to Wikimania, but Mexico City is very cool and you stand to get money for travel and accommodations. I've also heard whispers of "walking around money."

Here's the overview page: https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships.
Here's the application itself: https://scholarships.wikimedia.org/apply. It's an online application i.e. not a form that you print out and mail.

Beeblebrox got one of these scholarships in 2012 and he is only famous for writing an official Wikipedia "Fuck Off Essay" in which he advocates telling other editors "fuck off" to get your point across. So don't discount your own chances. Also Beeblebrox was like 41, so although it's called "scholarship" don't feel like you have to be 20 or something.

The award process has three phases. If you want to make it past Phase 1, then explain in the application how you are:
Active contributor to a Wikimedia project (e.g. Wikipedia, Commons or Wikisource), with at least 50 contributions (edits)
Mediawiki code contributor, gadget or other tool-builder for Wikimedia projects
Involvement in some form of Wikimedia organization (chapter, thematic organization or user group)
Wikimedia CheckUser, Admin, Bureaucrat, Steward or OTRS volunteer (current or former)
Wikimedia Foundation Grantee
Wikimedia Researcher
Participant in a Wikimedia program (e.g. GLAM partnership or education program)
Participant in Wikimedia organized events (e.g. photographer contributing to Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM), workshop attendee)
Organizer of Wikimedia events (e.g. WLM, edit-a-thons)
Good luck!

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:26 am

Dude.

Just no.

I've spent time in el distrito federal.
There's nobody on wikipedia now who should be wandering around there unsupervised.
I honestly worry that someone is gonna get killed at this coming wikiMania.

Put "Mexico City, Biblioteca Vasconcelos" into maps.google.com, set to earth mode, and zoom all the fucking way in.
There are corrugated aluminum shanty towns, junkyards, hard industrial recycling centers, barrios on all sides...

At least there's a PandaExpress next door.
Last edited by Vigilant on Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:28 am

Triptych wrote:It's not a job but it is paid. The WMF just started accepting "scholarship applications" for Wikimania 2015 in Mexico City. You have to actually go to Wikimania, but Mexico City is very cool and you stand to get money for travel and accommodations. I've also heard whispers of "walking around money."

Here's the overview page: https://wikimania2015.wikimedia.org/wiki/Scholarships.
Here's the application itself: https://scholarships.wikimedia.org/apply. It's an online application i.e. not a form that you print out and mail.

Beeblebrox got one of these scholarships in 2012 and he is only famous for writing an official Wikipedia "Fuck Off Essay" in which he advocates telling other editors "fuck off" to get your point across. So don't discount your own chances. Also Beeblebrox was like 41, so although it's called "scholarship" don't feel like you have to be 20 or something.

The award process has three phases. If you want to make it past Phase 1, then explain in the application how you are:
Active contributor to a Wikimedia project (e.g. Wikipedia, Commons or Wikisource), with at least 50 contributions (edits)
Mediawiki code contributor, gadget or other tool-builder for Wikimedia projects
Involvement in some form of Wikimedia organization (chapter, thematic organization or user group)
Wikimedia CheckUser, Admin, Bureaucrat, Steward or OTRS volunteer (current or former)
Wikimedia Foundation Grantee
Wikimedia Researcher
Participant in a Wikimedia program (e.g. GLAM partnership or education program)
Participant in Wikimedia organized events (e.g. photographer contributing to Wiki Loves Monuments (WLM), workshop attendee)
Organizer of Wikimedia events (e.g. WLM, edit-a-thons)
Good luck!
I'm guessing there's a very small number of people who can check off all 9 of those boxes, and that that small number of people probably know the person who wrote the application form. Good to see the gravy salsa train still chugging along!
This is not a signature.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:30 am

Vigilant wrote:Dude.

Just no.

I've spent time in el distrito federal.
There's nobody on wikipedia now who should be wandering around there unsupervised.
I honestly worry that someone is gonna get killed at this coming wikiMania.
I liked it. Felt safe at all times. It's always best to take a friend along with you though if you deviate from landmark and tourist and populated areas.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:32 am

SB_Johnny wrote: Good luck!
I'm guessing there's a very small number of people who can check off all 9 of those boxes, and that that small number of people probably know the person who wrote the application form. Good to see the gravy salsa train still chugging along!
Oops I did not mean to suggest those were "and" criteria; they are "or" criteria.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:37 am

The library is in this area
Delegación_Cuauhtémoc (T-H-L)

From the article:
A large part of this borough is divided between commercial zones and historic and cultural sites. While the colonia does not have the highest crime rate in the city with 13.9% of all Mexico City crime occurring here,[11][12] it is considered to be fairly dangerous because of its urbanization and the fact that most of the people found in the borough are there only to work or visit. There are few stable neighborhoods, where people live and raise children allowing for street vending, squatting, and takeover of public spaces by drug addicts, drug dealers and prostitutes. Ten of the borough's 34 colonias are considered to be the most run-down and lawless in the city,[11] with a few, such as Tepito, gained widespread fame for being so.[16] Some of these run down areas are lower class colonias such as Colonia Guerrero and Colonia Morelos, but similar problems are also found upper middle class colonias such as the northern part of Colonia Roma.[11] The most common crimes are muggings with 1.47 reports per day, robbery of businesses with .78 reports per day, and car theft with .71 reports per day.[11]
It's a nasty, nasty section of Mexico...
With 1000 more rich, gullible gringos in the area, it's going to be a feeding frenzy.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:41 am

Triptych wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote: Good luck!
Oops I did not mean to suggest those were "and" criteria; they are "or" criteria.
It doesn't matter if it's "and" or "or", grasshopper. The WMF writes grants in such a way that they're perfectly suited to the friends of Jimmy, the employees, or special donors (and/or the trustees, though I'm not sure we've seen that).

But hey, maybe it's a new day after all and I'm soooooo wrong about that. :unicorn:
This is not a signature.

Puebla
Contributor

Unread post by Puebla » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:37 am

Vigilant wrote:The library is in this area
Delegación_Cuauhtémoc (T-H-L)

From the article:
A large part of this borough is divided between commercial zones and historic and cultural sites. While the colonia does not have the highest crime rate in the city with 13.9% of all Mexico City crime occurring here,[11][12] it is considered to be fairly dangerous because of its urbanization and the fact that most of the people found in the borough are there only to work or visit. There are few stable neighborhoods, where people live and raise children allowing for street vending, squatting, and takeover of public spaces by drug addicts, drug dealers and prostitutes. Ten of the borough's 34 colonias are considered to be the most run-down and lawless in the city,[11] with a few, such as Tepito, gained widespread fame for being so.[16] Some of these run down areas are lower class colonias such as Colonia Guerrero and Colonia Morelos, but similar problems are also found upper middle class colonias such as the northern part of Colonia Roma.[11] The most common crimes are muggings with 1.47 reports per day, robbery of businesses with .78 reports per day, and car theft with .71 reports per day.[11]
It's a nasty, nasty section of Mexico...
With 1000 more rich, gullible gringos in the area, it's going to be a feeding frenzy.
The borough covers what was all of Mexico City until the first third of the 20th century, including the tourist areas of the historic center and Zona Rosa. There are worse areas of Mexico City, but definitely the south and west are much nicer, richer. (Im surpised it is not being held at UNAM, the national university.) More specifically, the library is in Colonia Buenavista, which is not the best area of the delegation. The library is an urban renewal project, as is the Tren Suburbano local train terminal/shopping center next door. The area is safe enough in the day time, though there is nothing for turists in the immediate vicinity and indeed the neighborhood gets problem if you leave the immediate library area and not headed to a specific location.

However, the library is easy to get to by Metro, which is safe (lots of cops and cameras) from the historic center and other areas where the hotels are. I have been in the library only once or twice and it is something of a laberinth but more important the wi fi was terrible. If pushed, the city authorities can improve the wi fi but there were problems of this sort in London... so who knows.