Admin says he may run for higher WP office (Dennis Brown)

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
The Wife
Gregarious
kołdry

Admin says he may run for higher WP office (Dennis Brown)

Unread post by The Wife » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:40 pm

In case anyone is interested in who is contemplating running for higher office at WP, Dennis Brown is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... s#Notice_2
...the problem is that I'm an admin, and perhaps someday I would like to be more than an admin here...
the community's trust in me means a great deal... to the community that they can trust their admins....
If I were to seek a higher office here in the future... That is not good for me, or Wikipedia... I don't look forward to the event coming back to bite me...

It's probably worth pointing out that we seem to be weighing an admin's aspirations for higher office one day against another editor's more fundamental posting privileges. For all this talk of character and fairness, Facts has yet to receive any retraction over provably unfounded SOCK claims by said admin which led to the first indef, and is in fact still indefed for a parallel "accusation" far less clear cut as policy violation (basically mounting to "I don't trust Dennis"). Something to that effect might work toward earning some semblance of trust back. Agent00f (talk) 20:11, 1 June 2012 (UTC)

EricBarbour

Re: Admin says he may run for higher WP office

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:06 pm

And I'll tell you again: you are wasting your time. Give it up. Mr. Brown will keep chasing more and more power,
and you will probably not get anywhere in opposing him unless you have more supporters (and more powerful
supporters) than he does. Don't become a character in Lord Of The Flies.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:12 pm

EricBarbour wrote:And I'll tell you again: you are wasting your time. Give it up. Mr. Brown will keep chasing more and more power,
and you will probably not get anywhere in opposing him unless you have more supporters (and more powerful
Fuck that.
Hello, Dennis Brown, you are now my summer hobby.
Welcome to hell.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Vigilant wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:And I'll tell you again: you are wasting your time. Give it up. Mr. Brown will keep chasing more and more power,
Fuck that.
Hello, Dennis Brown, you are now my summer hobby.
Welcome to hell.
I first began watching Dennis because he had so many accolades and a close friendship with DGG who I respected. I supposed Dennis to be a wonderful fellow and thought he was an excellent role model.

Later I stumbled upon a situation in which a guy was being ganged up on (Guy 1). Another guy (Guy 2) came along and tried to help the first guy.

To my surprise Dennis decided to involve himself. I was surprised because Dennis had written many comments on his own talk page about how the issue drove him to lose objectivity and he had to remove himself from the situation because he did not feel he could handle himself.

Everything that follows is a very personal interpretation and I could easily be wrong.

When I stumbled across the situation I assumed Dennis would be rational because he had always seemed rational when I'd read his writing. I was shocked when Dennis escalated the unhappy situation with Guy 1 which Guy 2 had successfully been defusing to the content of all participants. In fact Dennis acted like an accelerant to a fire. He became a ringleader and encouraged attacks on Guy 1. I reasoned with Guy 1 to lay low and let the situation calm down and he did. With Dennis' encouragement the attacks expanded to Guy 2.

It no longer surprises me that after I attempted to stem the meanness towards both Guy 1 and Guy 2 Dennis et al. annoyed the heck out of me. After I was fed up beyond measure and blocked, Dennis appeared to become satisfied. Attacks on Guy 1 and Guy 2 soon let up. In my mind it was as if the crowd was calling for blood and my blood satisfied them.

I think it's possible that Dennis then waited for revenge on Guy 2 who was trying to help people get along using policy. During those negotiations Guy 2 encountered a detractor who didn't like the changes the others were discussing. A crony of Dennis' ran to tell Dennis who pounced. Soon Dennis brought cases at AN/I and AN against Guy 2 who always backs down from a fight. Guy 2 is the last person who needs any but the mildest encouragement to leave a situation. I asked to be unblocked and Dennis seemed to back down on Guy 2 which is likely coincidence I guess.

Dennis stifled my unblock which I only requested in order to be free to point out what Dennis and his crony had done to Guy 2 if it became necessary.

Now Dennis has changed his behavior from anything I've seen of him before. He appears to be avoiding commenting at AN/I for the first time since I've observed him. He used to comment constantly. Now he still comments but he seems to be filling his history with other activity for the first time I've seen.

He is a consummate politician. He's supported by DGG and a member of ArbCom. He has minions. I think he'll be on the next ArbCom election ballot.
Last edited by The Wife on Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:55 pm

I'm not interacting with anyone on WP. The unblock request was because I saw a nice guy being treated badly. You are right and I'm going to have to get used to it.

Still, I'm predicting Dennis Brown joins ArbCom soon. Let's see if I'm right.

Volunteer Marek
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Volunteer Marek

Unread post by Volunteer Marek » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:58 pm

The Wife wrote:
I'm not interacting with anyone on WP. The unblock request was because I saw a nice guy being treated badly. You are right and I'm going to have to get used to it.

Normally I'd say that he'd get eaten by the "content creator" crowd or the BLP protection crowd and the "you hang out way too much at AN/I crowd", but after last year's election, it's pretty clear that those crowds don't carry much weight (if they ever did).

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Now Dennis Brown is training to be an SPI clerk.

I just saw him hesitate on a case that may involve Poetlister with much better evidence than Dennis provided when he had Agent00f and me checked.

He's involving himself in sock investigation and avoiding AN/I more. That change coincided with my pointing out his heavy AN/I involvement here.

I'm just observing his progression to ArbCom.

Volunteer Marek
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Volunteer Marek

Unread post by Volunteer Marek » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:17 pm

The Wife wrote:Now Dennis Brown is training to be an SPI clerk.

I just saw him hesitate on a case that may involve Poetlister with much better evidence than Dennis provided when he had Agent00f and me checked.

He's involving himself in sock investigation and avoiding AN/I more. That change coincided with my pointing out his heavy AN/I involvement here.

I'm just observing his progression to ArbCom.
Hmm, that's an interesting process they got there for this whole SPI clerk training business. Seems like a recipe for abuse though possibly people haven't noticed yet.

From a different barrel, I don't know about Dennis Brown, but this Lord Roem fellah is most certainly getting groomed for... if not the ArbCom, some kind of status position. I don't have anything against him, or even an opinion about him, except that I don't know what secret laboratory or petri dish "they" cloned and bred him in, but "they" seem to have perfected this clonin'/frankensteinin'/groomin' process. He's hitting like every single point on the checklist of your typical ArbCom member's rise to power, all in a very short time. And he comes off as reasonable to boot. He's so straight out of the playbook that it makes me suspicious, though probably it's just self-selection of a particular personality type.

isaan
Contributor

Unread post by isaan » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:33 am

Volunteer Marek wrote:From a different barrel, I don't know about Dennis Brown, but this Lord Roem fellah is most certainly getting groomed for... if not the ArbCom, some kind of status position. I don't have anything against him, or even an opinion about him, except that I don't know what secret laboratory or petri dish "they" cloned and bred him in, but "they" seem to have perfected this clonin'/frankensteinin'/groomin' process. He's hitting like every single point on the checklist of your typical ArbCom member's rise to power, all in a very short time. And he comes off as reasonable to boot. He's so straight out of the playbook that it makes me suspicious, though probably it's just self-selection of a particular personality type.
Malicious is Lord Roem, but subtle he is not.

Judging from the nomination by Ironholds, Lord Roem is already fully in bed with both the Wikimedia Foundation and current ArbCom. So yes, he is certainly poised for any number of possible power grabs, and all indications are that he is Wikiperfect in every way.
Lord Roem (from the link above) wrote:As I said at my mediation nomination (linked in Q3), I envision a Wikipedia where the Arbitration process is starved of cases because so many disputes are resolved at the lower end. It may be an idealistic vision, but it's an aspiration I hold to and one I will continue to strive towards even if this RFA passes.
What's not to love? As far as Dennis Brown goes, who cares? He's a cheap drama whore. Whether he becomes a disfunctionary™ or assumes whatever "higher office", it will be only to toot his own horn and play the "I am so exceptionally ethical" card.

culeaker
Contributor
Wikipedia Review Member: culeaker

Unread post by culeaker » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:22 am

I really must defend Dennis Brown. He is doing a very competent job, clerking that page. Quite a lot of accusations made on that page are sheer nonsense or motivated by spite or attempts to win arguments. He deals with it all quite calmly and unflappably. The attacks on his clerking say more about lack of understanding by those who make them than they do about his abilities.

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:39 pm

culeaker wrote:I really must defend Dennis Brown. He is doing a very competent job, clerking that page. Quite a lot of accusations made on that page are sheer nonsense or motivated by spite or attempts to win arguments. He deals with it all quite calmly and unflappably. The attacks on his clerking say more about lack of understanding by those who make them than they do about his abilities.
Read up a few posts about I became acquainted with DB. He was exceptional. Then when no one but his cronies were looking he bashed three people soundly.

You are not aware of the failed SPI against my husband and two others who DB viewed as enemies.

He behaves beyond reproach until he feels empowered and nobody is looking. He's well aware people are currently watching him. His Jekyll and Hyde character is remarkable and frightening.

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:47 pm

isaan wrote:
Volunteer Marek wrote:From a different barrel, I don't know about Dennis Brown, but this Lord Roem fellah is most certainly getting groomed for... if not the ArbCom, some kind of status position. I don't have anything against him, or even an opinion about him, except that I don't know what secret laboratory or petri dish "they" cloned and bred him in, but "they" seem to have perfected this clonin'/frankensteinin'/groomin' process. He's hitting like every single point on the checklist of your typical ArbCom member's rise to power, all in a very short time. And he comes off as reasonable to boot. He's so straight out of the playbook that it makes me suspicious, though probably it's just self-selection of a particular personality type.
Malicious is Lord Roem, but subtle he is not.

Judging from the nomination by Ironholds, Lord Roem is already fully in bed with both the Wikimedia Foundation and current ArbCom. So yes, he is certainly poised for any number of possible power grabs, and all indications are that he is Wikiperfect in every way.
Lord Roem (from the link above) wrote:As I said at my mediation nomination (linked in Q3), I envision a Wikipedia where the Arbitration process is starved of cases because so many disputes are resolved at the lower end. It may be an idealistic vision, but it's an aspiration I hold to and one I will continue to strive towards even if this RFA passes.
What's not to love?
Here's the voting on "Lord" Roem: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia: ... /Lord_Roem

Zhang from Australia, I believe, is another I respected until I read what he'd written in IRC. Not knowing that Jewish people are called Jewish people or Jews makes him unfit and offensive. Was he raised by wolves?

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 pm

The Wife wrote: Not knowing that Jewish people are called Jewish people or Jews makes him unfit and offensive. Was he raised by wolves?
In Australia it would be Dingos.

Large swathes of Australia are socially behind Europe when it comes to matters of race and ethnicity. 10 years ago when I was there, if there was an Aborigine on a work gang his nickname would *always* be 'Darkie'. And it wouldnt be Aborigine, it would be 'Abbo'.

Many of the cities/large towns are pretty homogenous. Not a massive amount of Ethnic diversity outside of the east coast. (Western and South Australia I spent weeks without seeing anyone other than my fellow whiteys.)

This is not from any particular sort of malice or real racist tendencies, this is just because its a young relatively isolated country that is/was catching up with the rest of the world.

On the plus side, they are maturing/have matured a damn sight faster than the US, and will probably overtake most of Europe in the next ten years when it comes to social values morals and ethics. As well as the practical application into law. De-facto spouse's in Australia have had rights (Inheritance, property etc) for longer than most 'western' countries, shackled as we are by our antiquated laws based on religion.

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:58 pm

Anroth wrote:
The Wife wrote: Not knowing that Jewish people are called Jewish people or Jews makes him unfit and offensive. Was he raised by wolves?
In Australia it would be Dingos.

Large swathes of Australia are socially behind Europe when it comes to matters of race and ethnicity. 10 years ago when I was there, if there was an Aborigine on a work gang his nickname would *always* be 'Darkie'. And it wouldnt be Aborigine, it would be 'Abbo'.

Many of the cities/large towns are pretty homogenous. Not a massive amount of Ethnic diversity outside of the east coast. (Western and South Australia I spent weeks without seeing anyone other than my fellow whiteys.)

This is not from any particular sort of malice or real racist tendencies, this is just because its a young relatively isolated country that is/was catching up with the rest of the world.

On the plus side, they are maturing/have matured a damn sight faster than the US, and will probably overtake most of Europe in the next ten years when it comes to social values morals and ethics. As well as the practical application into law. De-facto spouse's in Australia have had rights (Inheritance, property etc) for longer than most 'western' countries, shackled as we are by our antiquated laws based on religion.
Simply to understand world history at a high school level one must comprehend there are people called Jews. Ideally one would also know that many choose to worship in synagogues. Also, one should know why Israel was founded after World War II as a Jewish state.

All else is extreme ignorance.

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:49 am

The Wife wrote: Simply to understand world history at a high school level one must comprehend there are people called Jews. Ideally one would also know that many choose to worship in synagogues. Also, one should know why Israel was founded after World War II as a Jewish state.

Ignorance != stupidity. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. If you are not taught something then you dont know it. The correct response is to then educate that person. Israel was founded because the US (Primarily, the other western powers went along in the massive betrayal of our Arab allies) didnt want a consolidated Arab block in that region. It was entirely about preventing future opposition.

But most of Europe would consider what the Americans learn as 'World History' in school to be highly inaccurate.

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:19 pm

Anroth wrote:
The Wife wrote: Simply to understand world history at a high school level one must comprehend there are people called Jews. Ideally one would also know that many choose to worship in synagogues. Also, one should know why Israel was founded after World War II as a Jewish state.

Ignorance != stupidity. Ignorance is the lack of knowledge. If you are not taught something then you dont know it. The correct response is to then educate that person. Israel was founded because the US (Primarily, the other western powers went along in the massive betrayal of our Arab allies) didnt want a consolidated Arab block in that region. It was entirely about preventing future opposition.

But most of Europe would consider what the Americans learn as 'World History' in school to be highly inaccurate.
That's funny since our historians get hired to teach it at European universities at times. Sometimes American historians get scholarships to European universities as well.

I used the word ignorance which is the precise word an historian also used regarding this. The same historian informed me that Australians fought heavily in the areas of Egypt and Libya during World War II. They were also in Palestine during World War II. Of course, Jewish people were living there at the time and the British formed a brigade of Jewish soldiers. How did all the World War II veterans from Australia forget this?

Also, your interpretation of the founding of Israel is incorrect. There is an element of truth clouded by an extreme ignorance of history.

I'd love to call a few Australian high school history teachers and see if in their classes and on their tests they skip the part of World War II that involves the Jews.
Last edited by The Wife on Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:24 pm

Volunteer Marek wrote:
The Wife wrote:

Normally I'd say that he'd get eaten by the "content creator" crowd or the BLP protection crowd and the "you hang out way too much at AN/I crowd", but after last year's election, it's pretty clear that those crowds don't carry much weight (if they ever did).
Maybe Alison and I should run on the Wikipediocratic slate... :evilgrin: :D
This is not a signature.

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:28 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
Volunteer Marek wrote:
The Wife wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Mr. Brown will keep chasing more and more power, and you will probably not get anywhere in opposing him unless you have more supporters (and more powerful supporters) than he does. Don't become a character in Lord Of The Flies.
Maybe Alison and I should run on the Wikipediocratic slate... :evilgrin: :D
Absolutely. I bet a number of people silently want to see WP and the people in power held to account and actually working for the people.

Willbeheard
Retired
Wikipedia User: Arniep
Wikipedia Review Member: jorge

Unread post by Willbeheard » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:17 pm

The Wife wrote:Still, I'm predicting Dennis Brown joins ArbCom soon. Let's see if I'm right.
Let him. Does anyone honestly think that there won't be worse candidates next time around? If they do, they haven't seen as much of the place as I have.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Unrelated drivel moved to Off-Topic. Please, can we not mention WebHamster here? It's easy if you try......

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:55 am

Ihardlythinkso call Dennis Brown out on his talk page for being full of himself. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk: ... honesty.22

Dennis responded by doing something I've seen him do before. He claimed he didn't experience an emotional reaction but rather his accuser imagined it. It's Dennis Brown SOP. Notice below how many times Dennis compliments himself when he replies to the person who found fault with him. Dennis is a rising star.

Dennis also explains what the truth is. Somehow in his truth he is "universally considered a civil person." On another occasion he stated others label him tolerant to a fault. I know editors in good standing that have openly expressed disagreement with Dennis on those two points. Why doesn't Dennis remember those disagreements?
"Fear of honesty"

I realize you were personally disappointed because of History2007's RfA, but do you really think it warrants making the post-RfA remarks you've made regarding opposers having lack of comfort w/ "honesty", etc.:

"I personally like your style [...]. It appears others have trouble dealing with that kind of honesty."
"I think you just scared some people with your honesty and independence, even if they won't admit it."
"... most that opposed you, are indeed wonderful people that are just not used to seeing common sense being used as a blunt instrument."
You can know, this particular editor for one (who opposed) doesn't have any "trouble dealing with honesty", nor is "scared" by same, nor is "unused to seeing common sense being used bluntly". (If you'd say those things of me, I'd resent it!)

But you probably weren't referring to any particular opposer with your remarks. (But that raises the question, what opposes caused you to form the opinion, that resulted in your remarks? I've read through all the opposes carefully, and can't find even one that contains even a trace that the opposer harbored lack of comfort regarding issue of honesty, or bluntness, or "independence". [Did you know all the !voters specifically, to be able to know they were aptly concealing what they "really thought"?] What I do see, is consistent disapproval of answers from the nom, that were either incomplete, not good, evasive, or non-answers, and a disinclination to care enough about it, resulting in concern as to what it might mean as Admin when concise and collegial communication becomes a premium. So I really don't understand how you arrive at your opinion which resulted in your remarks, and they seem irresponsible to me.)

I understand you may have had a temporary mini-emotional "blowout" due to disappointment. But you are Admin subject to "a higher standard", and should realize such remarks coming out of emotion or bias without factual basis, can be offensive when applied to group of editors. (Sourgrapes remarks might make you and/or the nom "feel better", but the "feelings repair" sessions don't exist in a vacuum, but on very public WP Talk spaces.)

Thanks for your consider. Cheers, Ihardlythinkso (talk) 09:59, 18 June 2012 (UTC)

I respect your opinion and appreciate you taking the time to kindly word it, but I would have to stand by my original statements. No blowout was experienced, even if passion was involved. Perhaps my statements aren't being seen in the full context of my experiences with the editor, the well documented troubles with RfA in general, as well as my own frustration with admins who take themselves too seriously. They were more directed at the flawed system of RfA than any individual. While I obviously disagree with your position in the RfA, your comments weren't the basis for my later observations.

RfA is a rediculously demeaning guantlet, one which I've been active in trying to change for some time. I discussed some of my concern with one opposer at User talk:Bbb23, whom I disagree with often, and hold in very high regard. Actually, many of the opposing votes were by people I know and respect. Some of them I work with on projects here on a daily basis, but I still think they were mistaken. As I said, most of the people are wonderful people "not used to seeing common sense being used as a blunt instrument", as History2007's application of common sense IS a bit "in your face". I value independence as the most important trait in an admin candidate, and use common sense more often than policy when making admin decisions myself.

As to your ideas of admins: Admins shouldn't take themselves or having the admin bit very seriously, only it's use. We admins are not super-editors, our !votes count only as 1, we are not the leaders, we are simply the janitors. We mop up and we fix problems. We serve the community, we do not rule it. [emphasis mine] Being an admin, however, is not a bar to participate fully in discussions. I would suggest that in any discussion, you never give an admin's comments any more weight than those of a non-admin, and simply judge the comment on its merits. You probably do not know me very well, but one of my goals is to insure that non-admins do have the same voice here, and that admins don't become a separate class "above" the average registered editor. This is why I prefer voting for admin candidates who I think won't be clique-ish or develop "group think".

Thank you for politely expressing your concerns. While I wasn't acting as an admin in this event, and only as a fellow editor, I will always try to take the time and explain when someone has a genuine concern. I'm universally considered a civil person, yet there are times when being polite but blunt is a better option. [emphasis mine] My comments shouldn't be taken so personally by anyone, as they were a statement on the system rather than any one person. While this might not be the answer you were looking for, it is the truth. Dennis Brown - 2¢ © 13:05, 18 June 2012 (UTC)

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 am

Its clear you have a massive grudge against him after that incident with the SPI, perhaps you should get over it. If the best you can do is the above it just makes you look unhealthily obsessed.

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:59 am

Anroth wrote:Its clear you have a massive grudge against him after that incident with the SPI, perhaps you should get over it. If the best you can do is the above it just makes you look unhealthily obsessed.
He's announced he's looking to become a member of ArbCom, a bureaucrat, or WMF employee. It's likely he will succeed. Would you prefer to find out what he's been up to after he has succeeded?

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:28 am

The Wife wrote:
Anroth wrote:Its clear you have a massive grudge against him after that incident with the SPI, perhaps you should get over it. If the best you can do is the above it just makes you look unhealthily obsessed.
He's announced he's looking to become a member of ArbCom, a bureaucrat, or WMF employee. It's likely he will succeed. Would you prefer to find out what he's been up to after he has succeeded?

They've all been up to something seedy, we take that as a given.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:35 pm

lilburne wrote:
The Wife wrote:

They've all been up to something seedy, we take that as a given.
Is it literally all WP admins? Have any of them failed to realize what their fellow admins are up to?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:43 pm

As to your ideas of admins: Admins shouldn't take themselves or having the admin bit very seriously, only it's use. We admins are not super-editors, our !votes count only as 1, we are not the leaders, we are simply the janitors. We mop up and we fix problems. We serve the community, we do not rule it. [emphasis mine] Being an admin, however, is not a bar to participate fully in discussions. I would suggest that in any discussion, you never give an admin's comments any more weight than those of a non-admin, and simply judge the comment on its merits. You probably do not know me very well, but one of my goals is to insure that non-admins do have the same voice here, and that admins don't become a separate class "above" the average registered editor. This is why I prefer voting for admin candidates who I think won't be clique-ish or develop "group think".
I don't think this has ever been true.

More to the point, I can't think of anyone who is an admin who actually believes this.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Peter Damian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Peter Damian
Wikipedia Review Member: Peter Damian

Unread post by Peter Damian » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:53 pm

I looked at this one. A lot of it reminds me of FT2 – the same sanctimonious attitude and principles, the platitudes, stuff that looks good on the surface but can't possibly be true underneath. On the other hand, he's a middle-aged person from somewhere obscure in America, seems concerned about improving Wikipedia and makes some good points. There's no proof of anything really bad, as far as I can see (but I love to be proved wrong).
οὐκ ἀγαθὸν πολυκοιρανίη: εἷς κοίρανος ἔστω

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:56 pm

The Wife wrote: Would you prefer to find out what he's been up to after he has succeeded?
If 'what he's been up to' was something of significance and harm to the project - no. So far its typical admin stuff. You might as well ask if I would be surprised if my MP was found with a mistress....

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Anroth wrote:
The Wife wrote: Would you prefer to find out what he's been up to after he has succeeded?
If 'what he's been up to' was something of significance and harm to the project...
I don't know what your cut-off level of significance or harm to the project is.

The way I understand it being a bureaucrat or a WMF employee are akin to lifetime appointments. I believe ArbCom members come up for re-election.

Dennis Brown recently became an admin. Do you know the quote from President Lincoln about character and power? How about the aphorism that character is what you do when nobody's watching? Nobody has been watching Dennis Brown until now. Once examined he exhibits apparent problems.

Dennis Brown is his own PR machine and he's good at it. He wants to be promoted again. He will probably succeed.

isaan
Contributor

Unread post by isaan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:11 pm

The Wife wrote:Dennis also explains what the truth is. Somehow in his truth he is "universally considered a civil person."
This is dependent on the particular universe being considered. For his, I am sure it rings true.
The Wife wrote:Dennis Brown is his own PR machine and he's good at it. He wants to be promoted again. He will probably succeed.
Maybe, no matter if he does. I do think you're making way too much out of a personal unpleasant initial interaction. He's not worth it; there are many others who are far worse.

The Wife
Gregarious

Unread post by The Wife » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:39 pm

isaan wrote:
The Wife wrote:Dennis also explains what the truth is. Somehow in his truth he is "universally considered a civil person."
This is dependent on the particular universe being considered. For his, I am sure it rings true.
You should check out how his avoidance of responsibility for his remarks has turned out for him on his talk page.
The Wife wrote:Dennis Brown is his own PR machine and he's good at it. He wants to be promoted again. He will probably succeed.
isaan wrote:...I do think you're making way too much out of a personal unpleasant initial interaction. He's not worth it; there are many others who are far worse.
I'm not discussing my interaction with Dennis or his involvement with people with whom I interacted. The post you are responding to is about another person's recent interaction with him. In that interaction Dennis Brown is demonstrating a pattern. Perhaps you'd like to explain to that person why he or she is "making too much" of his or her experience. Since I posted about this another person has also voiced a complaint to Dennis Brown. Dennis' reaction to this new event is another reaction I've seen him display before without appearing to demonstrate behavior change.

To be clear I found out about the new complaints about Dennis Brown because of Mr. Wikipediana. I wouldn't have clicked on Dennis Brown's talk page otherwise. What Mr. Wikipediana did to Angela Kennedy was rude. I've been checking on him from time to time because of that.