Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Kumioko
Muted
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Floquenbeam has resigned from the Arbcom

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:28 pm

It appears that another Arbitraitor has resigned from the Arbcom. Floquenbeam resigned in a statement here: link on the grounds they didn't have the temperment or the time and that being an Arb sucks. No doubt it does because Wikipedia sucks and they are on the pit with the snakes!

Although I never personally had a problem with Floquenbeam and always thought they were a pretty good admin, I have no sympathy for the arbcom being overworked. They bring it on themselves with bad decisions, they pander to abusive admins rather than removing the tools from them and they advocate and justify abusive admins by getting rid of editors who spoke out and tried to bring attention to the problem. The Arbcom is a key factor in why Wikipedia sucks more and more and this is bar none the worst arbcom ever. You will get no sympathy from me. I have no respect for the Arbcom or anyone who serves on it. By quitting the way they did, Floquenbeam got some respect back from me.

snowskarlet
Critic
Wikipedia User: Fylbecatulous

Re: Floquenbeam has resigned from the Arbcom

Unread post by snowskarlet » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Well, just having the current accepted case on Media Viewer RfC could suck the life out of anyone having to dig through it.

I as a reader haven't even managed to make it through the evidence page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... C/Evidence

A hopeless committee with a hopeless case about a hopeless WMF and their related hopeless Wikipedia...

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:05 pm

snowskarlet wrote:Well, just having the current accepted case on Media Viewer RfC could suck the life out of anyone having to dig through it.

A hopeless committee with a hopeless case about a hopeless WMF and their related hopeless Wikipedia...
Good point, its not bad enough that this is the absolute worst arbcom ever or that they have absolutely no morale center or purpose to at least guide them but they take cases that there is no hope of winning. With that said I am looking forward to the result of the case, because I am hoping the WMF gives them a resounding F-you, but in reality I believe the Arbcom will simply end the case with some useless bureaucratic banter that doesn't mean anything and doesn't address the problem.

everyking
Critic
Wikipedia User: Everyking
Wikipedia Review Member: Everyking

Unread post by everyking » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:48 pm

They always complain about what thankless, time-consuming, hard work it is. In that case they are welcome to stop doing it and relax, and Wikipedia will be a better place for it.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:45 pm

Kumioko wrote:
snowskarlet wrote:Well, just having the current accepted case on Media Viewer RfC could suck the life out of anyone having to dig through it.

Good point, its not bad enough that this is the absolute worst arbcom ever or that they have absolutely no morale center or purpose to at least guide them but they take cases that there is no hope of winning. With that said I am looking forward to the result of the case, because I am hoping the WMF gives them a resounding F-you, but in reality I believe the Arbcom will simply end the case with some useless bureaucratic banter that doesn't mean anything and doesn't address the problem.
I hope that's exactly what they do.
Leave the commoners with no way out.

DO you want another VE fight, because that's how you get another VE fight.
Case update

Thanks to all who submitted evidence. We are currently reviewing the submissions and may follow up with questions over the coming week. I've asked the clerks to extend the workshop closing date to the end of this coming weekend (3 August) so there is more time for proposals to be made and discussed there (I will add a similar note over there). The current plan is to have at least some parts of a draft proposed decision up on the workshop for public comments by Friday, and then make any changes needed and move to voting after the weekend. I'll post another update if things slip from that schedule. Carcharoth (talk) 23:03, 28 July 2014 (UTC)
Oh yes, there's surely enough evidence to do nothing. Good job.

Also, I'm not sure why Risker has her tongue buried to the small intestine in the WMF's ass, but she's offered a load of useless tripe as evidence that should get trimmed out by a clerk.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:14 am

As a frequent skimmer of the Wikimedia-l list these days, it does seem that Risker is going out of her way to demonstrate her willingness to carry water for WMF.

I leave it to others to deduce if there has been some change in this behavior or if I just have never noticed it before...

RfB

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:30 am

Vigilant wrote:
Also, I'm not sure why Risker has her tongue buried to the small intestine in the WMF's ass, but she's offered a load of useless tripe as evidence that should get trimmed out by a clerk.
You read it? :blink:

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:59 am

Kumioko wrote:I believe the Arbcom will simply end the case with some useless bureaucratic banter that doesn't mean anything and doesn't address the problem.
Count on it.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:46 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
You read it? :blink:
In a moment of morbid curiosity while taking a dump.
I'd already read the toothpaste package.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:34 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:As a frequent skimmer of the Wikimedia-l list these days, it does seem that Risker is going out of her way to demonstrate her willingness to carry water for WMF...
hmmm, I wonder what kind of rewards that may bring?
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm

TungstenCarbide wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:As a frequent skimmer of the Wikimedia-l list these days, it does seem that Risker is going out of her way to demonstrate her willingness to carry water for WMF...
hmmm, I wonder what kind of rewards that may bring?
Maybe they will be applying for one of these nifty Wikipedii in residence programs. I hear word on the street the Smithsonian is looking for one for the Air and Space museum...or will be soon.

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:01 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Floquenbeam&diff=631790559&oldid=631788421:
Floquenbeam wrote:Everything. Seeing only bad behavior from everyone involved in almost every case; there were no good guys and bad guys, there were only bad guys with various levels of "bad", so instead of trying to help good guys edit in peace by removing bad guys, you had to choose which side's bad guys were less bad. The depressing amount of truly disgusting, vile people that ArbCom had to deal with behind the scenes (it really makes no sense to me that this is ArbCom's job, but for some reason it is). The bureaucracy. The depressing dysfunction of the whole system; by the time a conflict gets to ArbCom, it's by definition been allowed to fester for so long that it takes months to figure out what the fuck is going on. The internal dysfunction of the committee. The lack of any apparent intelligence displayed by 60% of the people commenting at [[WP:ACN]]. The fact that my skill set didn't match what was needed nearly as well as I'd hoped it would. The discovery that there was no opportunity to engage in money-making corruption like other politicians get to do...

But I probably would have kept my promise to stay on, in spite of this, except real life changes caused me to have very very very little time for WP, and I was finding that I had no time to devote to ArbCom, much less to anything else related to WP. Just too many balls in the air. And since I'd promised people I could juggle those balls for two years, it became a very stressful time.

If you're asking because you're curious, I hope that helps explain. If you're asking because you think it's something you'd like to do yourself in the future, I'd not recommend it. --[[User:Floquenbeam|Floquenbeam]] ([[User talk:Floquenbeam#top|talk]]) 19:25, 30 October 2014 (UTC)
I told everyone that Floquenbeam didn't have faith in the Wikipedia community:

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69644#p69644
Michaeldsuarez wrote:An issue for Floquenbeam is that he or she is afraid. I'm not exactly sure how this fear came into being, but Floquenbeam should learn to trust the Wikipedia community with his or her name, even if it hurts him or her a little. Arbitrators such as Newyorkbrad learned to overcome this fear. As long as this fear exists, Floquenbeam will feel the desire to keep secrets from the community (i.e. the fear will prevent Floquenbeam from having complete faith / trust in the community that he or she wishes to serve). As a result, don't expect Floquenbeam to make ArbCom more transparent (he or she says that he or she isn't a "candidate for change" anyway). Hopefully, Floquenbeam will change his or her mind, break free of his or her fears, and share his or her past with the community before the election starts.
http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69697#p69697
Michaeldsuarez wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2013/Candidates/Floquenbeam&diff=582200061&oldid=582160880:
Amidst all the silliness there, someone did make an interesting point: I haven't identified the name of my previous account (from 5 years ago) to ArbCom. I provided it to [[User:Alison]] and to [[User:WJBscribe]] during my RFA. The ArbCom mailing list has been leaked in the past, and any email I send there is available to current '''and future''' Arbs, so I can't know who will have access to it in the future. I am not going to provide the name to the whole list. I would be willing, if necessary, to provide it to one of you, and/or to one or two arbs that I trust a lot. Is this necessary for my elegibility? Is it sufficient? --[[User:Floquenbeam|Floquenbeam]] ([[User talk:Floquenbeam|talk]]) 13:03, 18 November 2013 (UTC)
As I've stated above, the main issue that Floquenbeam has is fear and distrust. If he or she doesn't trust the mailing list, then he or she is bound to have secret discussions off the mailing list. Unless Floquenbeam overcomes these fears, he or she could never become the great Arbitrator that he or she could be. He or she doesn't trust the community with information, and he or she doesn't trust the whole of ArbCom with information.
Yet no one listened to me. An Arbitrator with little faith in the community would always become disillusioned enough to quit. A real shame. Asides from Floquenbeam's distrust of people and his or her insistence on secrecy, I really liked him or her.

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:42 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Floquenbeam&diff=631790559&oldid=631788421:
Floquenbeam wrote:Everything. Seeing only bad behavior from everyone involved in almost every case; there were no good guys and bad guys, there were only bad guys with various levels of "bad", so instead of trying to help good guys edit in peace by removing bad guys, you had to choose which side's bad guys were less bad. The depressing amount of truly disgusting, vile people that ArbCom had to deal with behind the scenes (it really makes no sense to me that this is ArbCom's job, but for some reason it is). The bureaucracy. The depressing dysfunction of the whole system; by the time a conflict gets to ArbCom, it's by definition been allowed to fester for so long that it takes months to figure out what the fuck is going on. The internal dysfunction of the committee. The lack of any apparent intelligence displayed by 60% of the people commenting at [[WP:ACN]]. The fact that my skill set didn't match what was needed nearly as well as I'd hoped it would. The discovery that there was no opportunity to engage in money-making corruption like other politicians get to do...

But I probably would have kept my promise to stay on, in spite of this, except real life changes caused me to have very very very little time for WP, and I was finding that I had no time to devote to ArbCom, much less to anything else related to WP. Just too many balls in the air. And since I'd promised people I could juggle those balls for two years, it became a very stressful time.

If you're asking because you're curious, I hope that helps explain. If you're asking because you think it's something you'd like to do yourself in the future, I'd not recommend it. --[[User:Floquenbeam|Floquenbeam]] ([[User talk:Floquenbeam#top|talk]]) 19:25, 30 October 2014 (UTC)
I told everyone that Floquenbeam didn't have faith in the Wikipedia community:

http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69644#p69644
Michaeldsuarez wrote:An issue for Floquenbeam is that he or she is afraid. I'm not exactly sure how this fear came into being, but Floquenbeam should learn to trust the Wikipedia community with his or her name, even if it hurts him or her a little. Arbitrators such as Newyorkbrad learned to overcome this fear. As long as this fear exists, Floquenbeam will feel the desire to keep secrets from the community (i.e. the fear will prevent Floquenbeam from having complete faith / trust in the community that he or she wishes to serve). As a result, don't expect Floquenbeam to make ArbCom more transparent (he or she says that he or she isn't a "candidate for change" anyway). Hopefully, Floquenbeam will change his or her mind, break free of his or her fears, and share his or her past with the community before the election starts.
http://wikipediocracy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69697#p69697
Michaeldsuarez wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikipedia_talk:Arbitration_Committee_Elections_December_2013/Candidates/Floquenbeam&diff=582200061&oldid=582160880:
Amidst all the silliness there, someone did make an interesting point: I haven't identified the name of my previous account (from 5 years ago) to ArbCom. I provided it to [[User:Alison]] and to [[User:WJBscribe]] during my RFA. The ArbCom mailing list has been leaked in the past, and any email I send there is available to current '''and future''' Arbs, so I can't know who will have access to it in the future. I am not going to provide the name to the whole list. I would be willing, if necessary, to provide it to one of you, and/or to one or two arbs that I trust a lot. Is this necessary for my elegibility? Is it sufficient? --[[User:Floquenbeam|Floquenbeam]] ([[User talk:Floquenbeam|talk]]) 13:03, 18 November 2013 (UTC)
As I've stated above, the main issue that Floquenbeam has is fear and distrust. If he or she doesn't trust the mailing list, then he or she is bound to have secret discussions off the mailing list. Unless Floquenbeam overcomes these fears, he or she could never become the great Arbitrator that he or she could be. He or she doesn't trust the community with information, and he or she doesn't trust the whole of ArbCom with information.
Yet no one listened to me. An Arbitrator with little faith in the community would always become disillusioned enough to quit. A real shame. Asides from Floquenbeam's distrust of people and his or her insistence on secrecy, I really liked him or her.
"faith" is a pretty black/white word though. I don't have "faith" at all in the personal values of Michael Jackson or (probably) Pete Townshend but it doesn't stop me humming along in the car when a song I like that they wrote comes on....

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:27 pm

Casliber wrote:"faith" is a pretty black/white word though. I don't have "faith" at all in the personal values of Michael Jackson or (probably) Pete Townshend but it doesn't stop me humming along in the car when a song I like that they wrote comes on....
I guess that you're right. Floquenbeam is still involved with Wikipedia and is proposing changes, so I guess that there's still something [good?] about Wikipedia that keeps him or her "humming along", even if Floquenbeam sees more bad than good.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:09 pm

Michaeldsuarez wrote:
Casliber wrote:"faith" is a pretty black/white word though. I don't have "faith" at all in the personal values of Michael Jackson or (probably) Pete Townshend but it doesn't stop me humming along in the car when a song I like that they wrote comes on....
I guess that you're right. Floquenbeam is still involved with Wikipedia and is proposing changes, so I guess that there's still something [good?] about Wikipedia that keeps him or her "humming along", even if Floquenbeam sees more bad than good.
I believe Floquenbeam is a he, and I agree its good that they are trying to make some changes, particularly in regards to the Arbcom. I find it unlikely they will succeed though. Many of the things that the Arbcom does need to be done by someone, I have my opinions who should do them, from the WMF to the community depending, but those other groups need to accept the responsibility. Arbcom got some of these things because no one wanted them. But there comes a point where you need to accept that if no one wants it, then maybe it doesn't need to get done. I mean really, what would happen if we didn't have an AUSC? They don't do anything anyway. And if we didn't have a BASC? Again, we don't even know what their workload looks like, there are no metrics and everything is secret. Even then, the majority of those contacting the Arbcom are ignored and those that are accepted (rare though that are) slide in with no mention so the community doesn't even know. The case decisions are usually questionable at best and at worst totally incompetent and incomprehensible legalistic haze. So I really don't think we need an Arbcom, because what little they do is mostly bad decisions anyway.