Another WMF employee, er, admin, bites the dust

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
The Adversary
Habitué
kołdry

Re: Another WMF employee, er, admin, bites the dust

Unread post by The Adversary » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:16 am

Vigilant wrote: In that hot mess, one of his friends mentions that if Ryan hadn't been conned into "taking the DAT..." that it wouldn't have happened to him. Do we have a wannabe dentist on our hands?
Extremely unlikely; he does not have the background, it seems. Also: it makes no sense.
I do not know what DAT means here.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:17 am

After an interlude of (apparent) DDOSing, back to our regularly schhhhheduled program.

* Pinball enabler

* Programmer for discredited and defunct political group

* Hypocrisy
Ryan Kaldari says : March 22, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Glad to hear you guys are taking this seriously and will hopefully learn from the experience. Treating women as outsiders in the tech world is unfortunately all too common. The only way we can improve things is to be proactive and learn from our mistakes.
Says the guy with pictures of burned and tortured women on his site.

* Misogyny scold
Ryan Kaldari says:
June 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm

99% of the content on Jimmy Wales talk page is posted by other users. I doubt Wales even reads most of it. A User Talk page is basically a user’s “inbox” on Wikipedia.

Regarding the criticism of your class, I have read the Atlantic article, and frankly I’m amazed you are still defending the actions of your class. Your students blatantly violated the goodwill of the Wikipedia community and committed a serious breach of ethics. This seems to be obvious to everyone on the internet except yourself. Do you not understand that your students are creating huge amounts of unnecessary work for people who are volunteering their time? It’s like going to a community garden and dumping garbage over all the plants as an “experiment” to prove that food from community gardens might be tainted with garbage. Do you really expect the community gardeners to not be upset?

Why not issue an apology rather than all the defensive hand-waving? Whether you want to admit it or not, your class made a mistake by not adhering to basic standards of ethical research. No one is going to have faith in your future actions until you acknowledge that.
Irony!

* Take two!
Ryan Kaldari
November 24, 2010 at 11:25 AM

It’s quite true that misogyny and every kind of -ism and -phobia you can name run rampant on Wikipedia. It is in many ways a mirror of the biases inherent in our society (without the social filters that normally keep such behavior in check). The good news is that Wikipedia has policies and tools which can limit or mitigate this type of behavior. The bad news is that these policies and tools are rarely used effectively to combat such behavior. There was a discussion recently at WikiProject Feminism on this very issue. I’m not sure what the solution is other than tightening the policies and getting more female editors (perhaps a Catch-22). The overwhelming imbalance makes it difficult to even discuss these issues on-wiki without being overwhelmed with dismissive responses (I see a few in the comments here as well). I think there are signs of hope though. At least there are a few safe spaces and forums emerging for discussing the issue. See for example:
Not only there, but on sites run by WMF employees such as http://www.snuffster.com!! Try it now.

* Movie credits. Though none I'd claim for myself. Country Music Television!!

* How we got here.
Greetings,

I'm very excited to welcome Ryan Kaldari to the Wikimedia Foundation as the Front End developer for fundraising. Ryan joins us from MTV Networks: Country Music Television, where he worked as a web developer responsible for several integration and architecture projects. Previous to that he helped develop Sitemason, an enterprise content management system used by numerous businesses, organizations, and colleges.

He's a long time Wikimedian who's been editing Wikipedia since 2004 and has been an admin since 2005. Some of you may have met him at the Paris Multimedia conference.

You can find what's kept him busy at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Kaldari

He'll be starting June 1st and will work in the San Francisco office.

Ryan will bring in some much needed skills and experience to our fundraising software developments. He'll help us catch up on a lot of our pending fundraising software development projects, develop new tools and improve general infrastructure and will bring more general awesomeness to the team. He'll also work extensivelyto support and improve CiviCRM as our fundraising database platform.

Please join me in welcoming Ryan to the Wikimedia team! We'll be setting up his email as his start day gets closer but until then, you can reach him at <kaldari [at] gmail>.

--
Tomasz Finc
Engineering Program Manger - Fundraising, Mobile, & Offline
Morons. I got morons on my team.

* Oh good! He's a commons admin too!! He'll fit right in over there.

* My new favorite pic...
Like peas in a pod. Last to be fired next to the next to be fired.

* Trying SO hard to be cool!
I have a jacket like that. Mine actually has 500K miles on it. Also, I do not own hipster sunglasses.

* Oh dear lord! They're letting him code payment code?!?!

* One for the road
"Don't donate money to Ryan Kaldari, he's gonna buy crack for sure"
Last edited by Vigilant on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:25 am

Jesus Christ, you just can't make this shit up. Wikipedia insider, admin and WMF employee tries to get our flamingferret banned from Wikipedia at the arbcom for being insensitive of another editor's suicide, only it wasn't true ... while said WMF employee has a snuffsite making fun of children murder victims. Did I get this right?

Thankyou Vigilant and tarantino and everyone else who had the stomach to dig this up. :bow:
Last edited by TungstenCarbide on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:32 am

And to Ryan: aren´t you glad you changed your name from the common (and virtually un-googable name) "Ryan Smith" to the unique "Ryan Kaldari"?
:rotfl:

Also, I feel this is Déjà vu all over again...spiced up with socks and a WMF-position.
Corbett for blog-post?

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:35 am

TungstenCarbide wrote:Jesus Christ, you just can't make this shit up. Wikipedia insider, admin and WMF employee tries to get our flamingferret banned from Wikipedia at the arbcom for being insensitive of another editor's suicide, only it wasn't true ... while said WMF employee has a snuffsite making fun of children murder victims. Did I get this right?

Thankyou Vigilant and tarantino and everyone else who had the stomach to dig this up. :bow:
There's so much more.
I feel like I'm wiping a brown marker every time I run this guy's dox on a new search engine or with a slight permutation.
Brown stain every single time.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:39 am

Vigilant wrote:
TungstenCarbide wrote:Jesus Christ, you just can't make this shit up. Wikipedia insider, admin and WMF employee tries to get our flamingferret banned from Wikipedia at the arbcom for being insensitive of another editor's suicide, only it wasn't true ... while said WMF employee has a snuffsite making fun of children murder victims. Did I get this right?

There's so much more.
I feel like I'm wiping a brown marker every time I run this guy's dox on a new search engine or with a slight permutation.
Hey, stop insulting brown stains!

But, yes, thanks for digging up stuff from websites I won't go to. I appreciate your publicizing such difficult material.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:46 am

enwikibadscience wrote:
Vigilant wrote:

There's so much more.
Hey, stop insulting brown stains!

But, yes, thanks for digging up stuff from websites I won't go to. I appreciate your publicizing such difficult material.
Someone start a pool!

What happens to the latest WMF shitheel:

* Shown the door like Sarah Striech.

* Transferred quietly to a new position like Oliver Keyes.

* Problems ignored like so many before.

* Allowed to resign like Carolyn Doran.

* Rallied round and protected like Kevin Gorman.

Remember kids, this is wikipedia stuff.
Vote early. Vote often. Don't get caught!

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:27 am

This is one of the hottest threads in WO history, at least on 7 March. At times, 40+ unregistered readers were looking at it.

Notvelty
Retired

Unread post by Notvelty » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:31 am

TungstenCarbide wrote:
Kelly Martin wrote:I have to say that snuffster.com looks to be an extremely tasteless site. It looks like Kaldari originally registered it back in 2002 or 2003, and it's possible that he's no longer actively involved in it, but if he's not his failure to disassociate himself from it ought to be viewed as problematic, at the very least. He certainly has no business lecturing other people on issues related to suicide or death.
sigh ... life is a series of tests.
Or, in the case of the wikimedia foundation, testes.
-----------
Notvelty

MilesMoney
Critic
Wikipedia User: MilesMoney

Unread post by MilesMoney » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:34 am

Jim wrote: Also, according to Wikipedia, the motto of the Ludwig von Mises Institute (T-H-L).
I think it's from Virgil (the Roman one, not the Thunderbirds pilot...)

(I think "malis" might be "bad" or "evil" rather than "misfortune" but it might carry connotations of both...)
The LvMI is something I know a bit about. (I know so much that it was the only article I was banned from.)

The usual translation is "Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them."

The translation preferred by the LvMI is "Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it."

The former is more literal and emphasizes fortune, not morality, which is more plausible.

Jim
Blue Meanie
Wikipedia User: Begoon
Wikipedia Review Member: Jim

Unread post by Jim » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:44 am

MilesMoney wrote:
Jim wrote: Also, according to Wikipedia, the motto of the Ludwig von Mises Institute (T-H-L).
I think it's from Virgil (the Roman one, not the Thunderbirds pilot...)

(I think "malis" might be "bad" or "evil" rather than "misfortune" but it might carry connotations of both...)
The LvMI is something I know a bit about. (I know so much that it was the only article I was banned from.)

The usual translation is "Yield not to misfortunes, but advance all the more boldly against them."

The translation preferred by the LvMI is "Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it."

The former is more literal and emphasizes fortune, not morality, which is more plausible.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/malus#Latin (dative plural) - yeah, it's wiktionary, but the "mal" prefix suggests the "bad" or "evil" aspect to me. I see "misfortune" as less literal, if anything - but there is, as I said, the connotation of "bad luck" too. It's open to interpretation. Google translate agrees with you, though, giving it as first choice, above alternatives without "mal" - so what do I know... http://translate.google.com/#en/la/misfortune
How the quote is commonly used, is, of course, possibly a different matter again.
Last edited by Jim on Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:56 am

EricBarbour wrote:This is one of the hottest threads in WO history, at least on 7 March. At times, 40+ unregistered readers were looking at it.
Speaking of mal, thanks to Malleus for orginally pointing out the ANI thread. Lol, to find something this outrageous as that "confession" in that vermin-fest was a treat.

I posted as fast as my little fingers could post this sucker from an iPad.

Thank you, Malleus.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:13 am

This lady doth protest too much...
NO to McCarthyism/cyberbullying!

I don't know if the "sockpuppetry" of trying to report something you think is a wikicrime anonymously normally receives a block if you apologize for trying. The community is nuts about that whole issue - we should have a system whereby anyone can start as many new accounts as they want, and the weight given those accounts' opinions is light enough that this is not a gaming mechanism.

But what I do know is that this practice of claiming that Wikimedia employees should be "vetted" to see if they've ever in their lives said something outrageous -- of trying to get editors' real names claiming that is some step toward accountable behavior, immediately before using those names to try to collect together a list of oddities and photos you think are unflattering to try to make them feel uncomfortable -- those things are just plain and absolutely wrong and we have to hold absolutely firm against them. If we let these bastards pull this stunt, it could be like what they did to Fae all over again, and Wikipedia establishes itself even more firmly as a shining example of cyberbullocracy as a form of government. Sure, they should be free to have their giggles at WO if that's what they feel like, but the basis of that freedom is that we angrily resist any effort to use that to change our behavior. With freedom comes responsibility - and this is the responsibility. I urge Wikimedia to stand by Kaldari's right to free expression, and not allow a couple of edits to outweigh his day to day work history, let alone some content he may have something to do with that is totally outside of his duties at Wikipedia!

I say this despite the fact that I agreed at the time that Eric Corbett had been poorly treated - based on what he mentioned about his father, he deserves our sympathy just as much as anyone else in that story. There are many times when the best thing for us to do is nothing at all, sanction no one, but recognize that we should aspire to a higher standard of freedom than what we have. Wnt (talk) 05:04, 8 March 2014 (UTC)
Nobody forced Ryan Corbett Smith to host a site that makes fun of murdered children. That shit's on him.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:27 am

Vigilant wrote:This lady doth protest too much...
NO to McCarthyism/cyberbullying!

I don't know if the "sockpuppetry" of trying to report something you think is a wikicrime anonymously normally receives a block if you apologize for trying. The community is nuts about that whole issue - we should have a system whereby anyone can start as many new accounts as they want, and the weight given those accounts' opinions is light enough that this is not a gaming mechanism.

But what I do know is that this practice of claiming that Wikimedia employees should be "vetted" to see if they've ever in their lives said something outrageous -- of trying to get editors' real names claiming that is some step toward accountable behavior, immediately before using those names to try to collect together a list of oddities and photos you think are unflattering to try to make them feel uncomfortable -- those things are just plain and absolutely wrong and we have to hold absolutely firm against them. If we let these bastards pull this stunt, it could be like what they did to Fae all over again, and Wikipedia establishes itself even more firmly as a shining example of cyberbullocracy as a form of government. Sure, they should be free to have their giggles at WO if that's what they feel like, but the basis of that freedom is that we angrily resist any effort to use that to change our behavior. With freedom comes responsibility - and this is the responsibility. I urge Wikimedia to stand by Kaldari's right to free expression, and not allow a couple of edits to outweigh his day to day work history, let alone some content he may have something to do with that is totally outside of his duties at Wikipedia!

I say this despite the fact that I agreed at the time that Eric Corbett had been poorly treated - based on what he mentioned about his father, he deserves our sympathy just as much as anyone else in that story. There are many times when the best thing for us to do is nothing at all, sanction no one, but recognize that we should aspire to a higher standard of freedom than what we have. Wnt (talk) 05:04, 8 March 2014 (UTC)
Nobody forced Ryan Corbett Smith to host a site that makes fun of murdered children. That shit's on him.
Yeah, 10 years of misogyny, that's "ever in their lives said something outrageous." Yeah, mocking suicides and dead children is "unflattering."

What a piece of shit this defending sycophant is. An admin, or just a butt-kissing piece of shit wanna-be?

Sorry for my language, but there is no defense for hiring hate-mongers and demanding they continue to be paid.

Then they keep wondering about the hostile atmosphere and loss of editors.

Stierlitz
Regular
Wikipedia User: not a Wikipedian
Wikipedia Review Member: N/A

Unread post by Stierlitz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:39 am

Vigilant wrote:After an interlude of (apparent) DDOSing, back to our regularly schhhhheduled program.

* Programmer for discredited and defunct political group
I don't think this group has anything to do with ACORN, the community organizers destroyed by James "fake pimp" O'Keefe. According to their website, they run "Chambana.net" and the Urbana, Illinois "Mini Makerfaire" and "Makerspace" (http://www.acornactivemedia.com/work/).

MilesMoney
Critic

Unread post by MilesMoney » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:43 am

Jim wrote: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/malus#Latin (dative plural) - yeah, it's wiktionary, but the "mal" prefix suggests the "bad" or "evil" aspect to me. I see "misfortune" as less literal, if anything - but there is, as I said, the connotation of "bad luck" too. It's open to interpretation. Google translate agrees with you, though, giving it as first choice, above alternatives without "mal" - so what do I know... http://translate.google.com/#en/la/misfortune
How the quote is commonly used, is, of course, possibly a different matter again.
You are, as always, a moron.

link

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:20 am

Statement from Kaldari at AN/I:
I created the Snuffster website as a parody of Friendster back in 2003. As you can see from this archive of Friendster, virtually every word on Snuffster is a direct parody. As the site was just an outdated joke, I never policed the content that other people added later. And for the record, I was only responsible for a single profile on the site which had nothing remotely offensive on it. If you want to accuse me of something, accuse me of not pro-actively censoring the offensive content that other people added. Now that it's been brought to my attention, I've disabled most of the site, although I left the home page if people are curious about it. The site had long outlived its purpose anyway. I'm not ashamed of having created it, however. Maybe it's a bit morbid, but I thought it was a fun experiment in creating a social networking site (and not a bad parody either). That's all I have to say on the subject. Kaldari (talk) 10:42, 8 March 2014 (UTC)

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:22 am

Kaldari has claimed the website is a parody, and explicitly stated "I'm not ashamed of having created it". Whether it is a parody or not is irrelevant; it is disgraceful, and if a regular employer found out about it, I can almost guarantee that they would find some way of sacking you.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:31 am

Lukeno94 wrote:Kaldari has claimed the website is a parody, and explicitly stated "I'm not ashamed of having created it". Whether it is a parody or not is irrelevant; it is disgraceful, and if a regular employer found out about it, I can almost guarantee that they would find some way of sacking you.

Really?
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Michaeldsuarez
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Michaeldsuarez
Wikipedia Review Member: Michaeldsuarez

Unread post by Michaeldsuarez » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:28 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:Someones are suggesting he be blocked, others arguing to protect him.

Time for a block?[edit]
Is there any real argument against blocking, really? Do you really need to consult the endless WP:* arcana of rules and essays and policies to tell you that this is an a) deceptive and b) disgusting human being that no one in their right mind should wish to be associated with? I realize this runs counter to the hipster/libertarian streak that permeates much of this websites these days, one that loathes to ban people just because they believe in or advocate distasteful thing. But seriously, a WMF staffer masquerading socks and operating a faux snuff site has to be a scale-tipper here. Tarc (talk) 00:33, 8 March 2014 (UTC)
So, WMF hires drunkards, crooks, liars, and now this.
Kaldari has already lost his sysop rights and his respect within the community. I don't believe that he needs to be blocked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=User_talk:Alison&diff=598679206&oldid=598679103:
Hey Ali, how's tricks? As you know, there's a thread over at [[WP:ANI]] where some guy is described as being involved with a site that made fun of murdered children. Just to provide a little context for the doubtless terribly dramatic discussion that will follow, I mentioned another website that does so, and your (past?) involvement with that website. So, not that it's needed, but this is just to let you know you were mentioned. --[[User:Demiurge1000|Demiurge1000]] ([[User_talk:Demiurge1000|talk]]) 11:39, 8 March 2014 (UTC)
Demiurge1000, the difference between Alison and Kaldari is that Alison combats sockpuppetry while Kaldari engages in it. The real issue here is sockpuppetry conducted in order to covertly combat one's enemies, not some parody sharing site.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:36 pm

Demiurge1000 (T-C-L)'s hyperactive passive-aggression has a new chapter of sexism, two weeks after he replied to Bishonen (T-C-L)as "sweetie".
You're edit warring on Giano's talkpage. You should stop. I hardly suppose I need to refer you to WP:3RR. Bishonen | talk 12:13 am, 23 February 2014, Sunday (14 days ago) (UTC+1).

I am? Seriously? --Demiurge1000 (talk) 12:19 am, 23 February 2014, Sunday (14 days ago) (UTC+1)

Well now, I just looked there, and I saw you "edit-warring". Perhaps you should go to bed. --Demiurge1000 (talk) 12:21 am, 23 February 2014, Sunday (14 days ago) (UTC+1)

Excuse me? I've reverted once. You've reverted four times in half an hour, and you say you "saw me edit-warring"? I'll report you if you persist. Bishonen | talk 12:31 am, 23 February 2014, Sunday (14 days ago) (UTC+1).

Goodness me! I shall be reported if I "persist"! I am wondering if this is some surreal joke, actually for now I will assume it's all totally straight-faced. Keep on with that, sweetie. --Demiurge1000 (talk) 12:51 am, 23 February 2014, Sunday (14 days ago) (UTC+1)
Today, after he smeared Alison (T-C-L) with association with Encyclopedia Dramatica (T-H-L),
link
Another similar website
Above we have claims that Kaldari (T-C-L)was involved in a website that made fun of murdered children. And we have a plausible statement by Kaldari that he was not responsible for posting the material concerned; and he states that he's now removed that material.

Another website that makes fun of murdered children, where the material in question has ''not'' been taken down, can be found by googling "Encyclopedia Dramatica Madeleine McCann". The Google search results give you an idea of the sort of content there; visiting the page itself may be inadvisible for many. That's only the most notable example that springs to mind; there's a great deal more like that on that site.

And we have an English Wikipedia oversighter, checkuser and OTRS member (Alison (T-C-L), K.W.) who says in 2009 (that's really rather recent, compared with things Kaldari was up to in 2004) "I'm also a sysop on Encyclopedia Dramatica. Yes, it's true! ... I keep both these arenas very separate". The big graphic on that page is an interpretation of Encyclopedia Dramatica's logo; there's an even bigger one on her current userpage that's similar.

There's nothing to indicate that person has edited the pages about murdered children there - either to add to them or to make them less offensive - just as no-one has suggested that Kaldari added any of the similar material mentioned above. But Kaldari does seem to do a better job of keeping "these arenas very separate"; he's not promoted or mentioned his Friendster parody on Wikipedia.

The English Wikipedia community has historically been quite tolerant of editors involved in such things. Maybe it's one of these "free speech" things. --Demiurge1000 (T-C-L) 12:32 pm, Today
Demiwit went to her talk page and asked her a cliched question given to prostitutes, "how's tricks?".

link to Demiurge1000's sexist insult
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:48 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote: Demiwit went to her talk page and asked her a cliched question given to prostitutes, "how's tricks?".
I'm no fan of Demiurge1000, but... no.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:55 pm

lilburne wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:Kaldari has claimed the website is a parody, and explicitly stated "I'm not ashamed of having created it". Whether it is a parody or not is irrelevant; it is disgraceful, and if a regular employer found out about it, I can almost guarantee that they would find some way of sacking you.
Really?
I'm not really sure that bad taste should be a capital offense.
This is not a signature.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:35 pm

I have defended Kaldari, at least some of his actions as being sincere or having a basis in policy, in the past.

A reasonable person does not start a website about snuffing victims, pay for it for years, and welcome Internet scum to post pictures to it, with apparently no supervision or suppression until yesterday. Perhaps many of you don't know what "snuff" means?
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:38 pm

Did he give up the bit or not?

It seems he did not.

I post this here to assist those voting in V's poll in selecting option J-Jack shit, he's a privileged insider.

(Thanks to DarknessShines (T-C-L).)

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Another vote, another vote!

How many more times will Kaldari use his global rights for administrative actions to benefit him on en.Wikipedia after "resigning" his bit for sock puppetry?

Kaldari will act as an adminidtrator on his own behalf after sanctimoniously and fakely resigning his bit....

A. 0 more times
B. 1 more time
C. 2 more times
D. As many more times as benefits him, you thought the de-sysop was real?
E. As many more times as he wants, you non-WMF-employee peon.
F. De-sysop? Lol, he paid for 10 years of murdered-children-are-funny site maintenance. Now that's a sysop.

People are questioning whether using admin powers for your benefit after resigning your admin powers is controversial. (And, yes, I read and followed how he could do it, but it was a clear en.Wiki admin action.)

:picard:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:13 pm

How is it that this says he was desysoped but he can still protect his talk page??

Edit:stupid router.
Last edited by Vigilant on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:28 pm

Vigilant wrote:How is it that this says he was desysoped but he ca still protect his talk page??
Coders have global edit interface rights for coding. He used this right to act as an admin and protect his own talk page. Not sneering at you, Vigilant, but it was easy information to find, and none of the admins or editors discussing this on the ANI thread seem able to find this info. If I can find it, it's easy to figure out.

And, I found it out because it was pointed out to me in the ANI thread.

Editinterface on WikiMedia.

Kaldari's global rights.
Last edited by enwikibadscience on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:30 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:Did he give up the bit or not?

How many more times will Kaldari use his global rights for administrative actions to benefit him on en.Wikipedia after "resigning" his bit for sock puppetry?

Kaldari will act as an adminidtrator on his own behalf after sanctimoniously and fakely resigning his bit....

A. 0 more times
B. 1 more time
C. 2 more times
F. De-sysop? Lol, he paid for 10 years of murdered-children-are-funny site maintenance. Now that's a sysop.

People are questioning whether using admin powers for your benefit after resigning your admin powers is controversial. (And, yes, I read and followed how he could do it, but it was a clear en.Wiki admin action.)

Does the WMF office have an open bar?
This is not a signature.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:33 pm

Vigilant wrote:How is it that this says he was desysoped but he ca still protect his talk page??
Coders have global edit interface rights for coding. He used this right to act as an admin and protect his own talk page. Not sneering at you, Vigilant, but it was easy information to find, and none of the admins or editors discussing this on the ANI thread seem able to find this info. If I can find it, it's easy to figure out.
My main Internet connection is being shitty today.
I found this reference and then the router from Satan went tits up.

He needs to be stripped clean of "rights" and blocked the same as any other user would have been.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:34 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:

A. 0 more times
B. 1 more time
C. 2 more times

Does the WMF office have an open bar?
That seems to be the case. Maybe the editing-while-inebriated en.Wiki editor can find a job.

:blink:

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:35 pm

Vigilant wrote:
My main Internet connection is being shitty today.
I found this reference and then the router from Satan went tits up.

He needs to be stripped clean of "rights" and blocked the same as any other user would have been.
No brainer there.

I added the links to my post.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Kaldari is in global group "interface editors", which includes the ability to protect or unprotect any page on any Wikimedia project. This privilege was likely granted consequent to his role with the fundraising department; some people may recall that, when the WMF started running big-ass fundraising banners, some projects threatened to remove, delete or disable them, prompting the WMF to implement measures such that its developers (such as Kaldari) could forcibly reinstate or tweak them without having to go through the local community.

Basically, this was abuse of his staff rights in contravention of local community policy. I doubt he will be sanctioned for it, though.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:41 pm

[Vigilant - just no, ok?] - Allie

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:42 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Kaldari is in global group "interface editors", which includes the ability to protect or unprotect any page on any Wikimedia project. This privilege was likely granted consequent to his role with the fundraising department; some people may recall that, when the WMF started running big-ass fundraising banners, some projects threatened to remove, delete or disable them, prompting the WMF to implement measures such that its developers (such as Kaldari) could forcibly reinstate or tweak them without having to go through the local community.

Basically, this was abuse of his staff rights in contravention of local community policy. I doubt he will be sanctioned for it, though.
Pretty straight-forward abuse, using global rights to act as an administrator on your own behalf, when such action was not called for, and after resigning the bit.

But, you are right, sanctions are unlikely.

Lukeno94
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Lukeno94

Unread post by Lukeno94 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:

There's an ANI subthread open on that bit as well.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:59 pm

Lukeno94 wrote:There's an ANI subthread open on that bit as well.
Which is pointless masturbation as the decision on that matter will be made by Phillip Beaudette, or by whoever Ryan's supervisor at the WMF is, and I rather doubt either of them care terribly much about what a bunch of dramaboard junkies on the English Wikipedia have to say.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:34 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Lukeno94 wrote:There's an ANI subthread open on that bit as well.
Which is pointless masturbation as the decision on that matter will be made by Phillip Beaudette, or by whoever Ryan's supervisor at the WMF is, and I rather doubt either of them care terribly much about what a bunch of dramaboard junkies on the English Wikipedia have to say.
As to not caring, I agree. But this tool can be removed by stewards if a local community reaches consensus and then requests it. Although as a coder tool, that might be an exception. Still, he used a global tool to act as an administrator on his own behalf after losing his admin rights. I am enjoying this feces-fest.

And we all know how Philippe deals with community consensus, he ignores it.

This arbitrary application of rules, one set for those in favor, another for those out, always leads to hours and days of drama. Although there are a lot of admins involved, and admins don't seem to spend much time creating content, it is dragging content creators in, also. If they had just blocked him for two weeks, editors at least would be "creating" content.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:41 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:As to not caring, I agree. But this tool can be removed by stewards if a local community reaches consensus and then requests it.
No, it cannot. He has his global rights by WMF edict, and stewards cannot contravene that. The stewards are not going to go to war with Beaudette over this.

I still can't get over his LinkedIn recommendation, from his former WMF supervisor, claiming that he's "zero drama".

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:46 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:As to not caring, I agree. But this tool can be removed by stewards if a local community reaches consensus and then requests it.
No, it cannot. He has his global rights by WMF edict, and stewards cannot contravene that. The stewards are not going to go to war with Beaudette over this.

I still can't get over his LinkedIn recommendation, from his former WMF supervisor, claiming that he's "zero drama".
Yeah, I caught that, but not really sure how to read most of Wikipedia. I think that if WMF had a community representative who gave a turd about the community he was representing to them, en.Wiki asking that the tool be removed might have some impact, at least a warning.

This is what you get for employing drama queens.

Wait, he's not one, WMF says? He didn't create a sock to scum another editor, act despicably, get caught, resign, then immediately use his resigned admin powers to lamely and unnecessarily protect his own talk page!?!!?

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:53 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:Yeah, I caught that, but not really sure how to read most of Wikipedia. I think that if WMF had a community representative who gave a turd about the community he was representing to them, en.Wiki asking that the tool be removed might have some impact, at least a warning.
He may get "talked to" by his supervisor, but from what I can put together they're generally satisfied with his actual work. Plus, he's a white guy with a generally appealing appearance (yeah, he has the stupid hat and beard, but those are totally hipster and Wikipedia tries hard to appeal to the hipster crowd, and the hat in particular is a signal), so he's entitled to privilege, which is why he won't get the Sarah Stierch treatment. The only test will be whether he continues to properly project the belief that Wikipedia is awesome; if he does that he'll keep his job. Hell, he might even get promoted.

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:00 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:Yeah, I caught that, but not really sure how to read most of Wikipedia. I think that if WMF had a community representative who gave a turd about the community he was representing to them, en.Wiki asking that the tool be removed might have some impact, at least a warning.
He may get "talked to" by his supervisor, but from what I can put together they're generally satisfied with his actual work. Plus, he's a white guy with a generally appealing appearance (yeah, he has the stupid hat and beard, but those are totally hipster and Wikipedia tries hard to appeal to the hipster crowd, and the hat in particular is a signal), so he's entitled to privilege, which is why he won't get the Sarah Stierch treatment. The only test will be whether he continues to properly project the belief that Wikipedia is awesome; if he does that he'll keep his job. Hell, he might even get promoted.
The last? Probably.

And, yes, because he is white. He is a guy. He fits the desirable demographic that gathers a large army of sycophants, and they are working it on his behalf.

No way they'll Sarah Stierch him. You got that right.

On the other hand, I was a little surprised they Sarah Stierched Sarah. I should not have been (see white, guy).

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
That article is classic. Pure and unadulterated truth being told to the hipsters and bronies.

I can hear the sounds of teeth gnashing and fedoras being spindled going on as I type.

MilesMoney
Critic

Unread post by MilesMoney » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Vigilant wrote: That article is classic. Pure and unadulterated truth being told to the hipsters and bronies.

I can hear the sounds of teeth gnashing and fedoras being spindled going on as I type.
:popcorn:

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:39 pm

Interface editors are a very select group. Currently, there are only 11. Note that the page about the right is still only a proposed policy.

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Interface_editors
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:40 pm

The Ryan Kaldari incident has now been memorialized by the mainstream media.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

MilesMoney
Critic

Unread post by MilesMoney » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:43 pm

thekohser wrote:The Ryan Kaldari incident has now been memorialized by the mainstream media.
I vaguely remember trying to use the Examiner as a source but having my edit blocked by filters.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:49 pm

MilesMoney wrote:
thekohser wrote:The Ryan Kaldari incident has now been memorialized by the mainstream media.
I vaguely remember trying to use the Examiner as a source but having my edit blocked by filters.
While we don't know for sure, it seems highly likely the reason the Examiner is blacklisted at Wikipedia is because Greg Kohs occasionally writes for them.

MilesMoney
Critic

Unread post by MilesMoney » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:55 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
MilesMoney wrote:
While we don't know for sure, it seems highly likely the reason the Examiner is blacklisted at Wikipedia is because Greg Kohs occasionally writes for them.
But that would be petty. :D

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:03 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
MilesMoney wrote:
That's not the reason. Examiner.com was put on the "spam blacklist" many months before I ever authored my first news story for them. I can see how Examiner was a problem, as writers get paid mostly on a pay-per-pageview basis. So, Wikipedia was very enticing for Examiners to spam-link their stories.

Thing is, now that I've been writing for them for years, there is certainly no way that Wikipedia and Examiner could come to some sort of "truce", even if Examiner was willing to self-police.

By the way, have we noted that Kaldari has taken down his old blog, AngelBlade.com?
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."