HRIP7
Denizen
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Wikimedia Australia – illegitimate?

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:38 pm

Following an AGM, Wikimedia Australia has just acquired a new committee. None of the previous committee's officers stood for re-election, which seems to betray a certain amount of disaffection.

Tony1 argues that the AGM and new committee appear to have no legitimacy under the law and chapter rules.
Dear members

I write with regret concerning the actions of Wikimedia Australia's management committee in March 2013, which have thrown the chapter into a cascade of legal illegitimacy that will continue ad infinitum unless addressed very soon. The outlines of this may be familiar to some members of the chapter, but to my surprise the issue has been pushed under the carpet. I have informed WMF Legal and Community Advocacy that there may be a problem that will impact on the Foundation's trademark agreement with the chapter.

[...]
No response to that as yet.

EricBarbour

Re: Wikimedia Australia – illegitimate?

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:09 am

I will be amazed if there is any kind of "response", even a secret one. Vandenberg has managed to hijack the thing, and push out everyone likely to challenge him for power over it.

And what, precisely, does he have "power" over? A bankrupt and unrecognized Wikimedia chapter? Does it make him feel good to control a nearly-dead nonprofit group? If only someone in the godlike inner circle could deign to describe it to us miserable "outsiders". (Insert additional sarcasm here.)

PartikleZoo
Contributor

Unread post by PartikleZoo » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:18 am

I will be amazed if there is any kind of "response", even a secret one. Vandenberg has managed to hijack the thing, and push out everyone likely to challenge him for power over it.
John Vandenberg is no longer on the committee. He did co-nominate some of the new members, but it was a complete changeover, even though some have been on the committee before.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:36 am

PartikleZoo wrote:but it was a complete changeover
Yeah, riiiight.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:12 pm

PartikleZoo wrote:John Vandenberg is no longer on the committee. He did co-nominate some of the new members, but it was a complete changeover, even though some have been on the committee before.
John is nobody's fool. If he wants, he can be very influential behind the scenes.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche