He is the architect of WMF's "destroy the evidence" strategy

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Triptych
Retired
kołdry
Wikipedia User: it's alliterative

He is the architect of WMF's "destroy the evidence" strategy

Unread post by Triptych » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:02 pm

He is the architect of WMF's "first thing we do is destroy all the evidence" strategy.
Philippe Beaudette, Wikimedia Foundation (talk) 18:56, 7 March 2014 (UTC) wrote:Giano, first, your question is predicated on a misunderstanding: Mr. Kaldari had no such access to private or sensitive records about volunteer identity. In fact, such records do not exist. We've made it very clear that we destroy documents submitted for identity verification once that's done, so no such files exist for him to access. The Wikimedia Foundation takes this circumstance extremely seriously. I don't know that your statement "using its own computers" is true - I also do not know that it is not. I see, above, where you asked that question, but I do not see a response, so I would urge you to be careful about presenting it as fact. As to your question regarding breach of trust, I'll be happy to carry any suggestions forward on your behalf. I believe that it's too soon for us to come to a knee jerk statement about changes to policies or steps to be taken; I'm the wrong person to speak to that regardless. It sounds like a question better suited for our executives - probably Gayle Karen Young, the Chief Talent and Culture Officer. It's rather outside of my purview and I think it would be inappropriate for me to comment or commit the Foundation to anything there.
Phillipe Beaudette, Phillipe Beaudette, emergency, come right away.

He is the Director of Community Advocacy, and I'm set on examining him a bit further because he enforces the cult of anonymity applied to Arbcom and the rest, while Wikipedia's living biography subjects get a bit less of courtesy treatment. Mr. Beaudette knows the game, and he does what he needs to do to keep those fat charity-paid paychecks rolling in. The game is "you give us content, Wikipedia community, and use your pseudo-governance to give us a legal liability shield. We make sure you stay secret secret secret and nobody ever holds you to account."

And it's him that does it. It isn't the first time he's said so. I'm not prepared to link it right now but the approach in which WMF looks at purported identity document for those administrators it accords access to IP and other privacy information on every Wikipedia editor, verifies it only that the person in the document is at least 18 and nothing else, that is Beaudette's approach. And then shreds everything. There was somebody sort of doing it before him not exactly the same but it is he that institutionalized and cemented it.

He's got a fairly informative userpage here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philippe_%28WMF%29) and posts a picture in which he looks like a reasonably handsome guy, ladies.

The reason I'm posting this is I believe I'm identifying defects in an harmful Wikipedia system that treats people poorly. Beaudette is at a key juncture of it. He's an accomplice. I may be unavailable for a few days after this post, but a lengthier explanation of my reasoning here is forthcoming, and I am going examine Beaudette's role and actions (and Beaudette) more closely.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Kelly Martin
Habitué

Re: He is the architect of WMF's "destroy the evidence" stra

Unread post by Kelly Martin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Triptych wrote:He is the architect of WMF's "first thing we do is destroy all the evidence" strategy.

[...]

And it's him that does it. It isn't the first time he's said so. I'm not prepared to link it right now but the approach in which WMF looks at purported identity document for those administrators it accords access to IP and other privacy information on every Wikipedia editor, verifies it only that the person in the document is at least 18 and nothing else, that is Beaudette's approach. And then shreds everything. There was somebody sort of doing it before him not exactly the same but it is he that institutionalized and cemented it.
The policy Beaudette is pursuing was developed when Cary Bass was "volunteer coordinator", although I don't know for sure if it was his idea or not. It's much older than Beaudette's involvement in the WMF.

Hersch
Retired
Wikipedia User: Herschelkrustofsky
Wikipedia Review Member: Herschelkrustofsky

Unread post by Hersch » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:27 pm

Flesh this out a bit, document it, and put it in language for the layman, and you will have a good blog post. Please keep me in the loop.
“If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.”
Malcolm X

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Oh yes. Quite a keeper.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Abd
Retired
Wikipedia User: Abd
Wikipedia Review Member: Abd

Unread post by Abd » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Triptych wrote:Mr. Beaudette knows the game, and he does what he needs to do to keep those fat charity-paid paychecks rolling in. The game is "you give us content, Wikipedia community, and use your pseudo-governance to give us a legal liability shield. We make sure you stay secret secret secret and nobody ever holds you to account."

It is worth knowing and understanding the potential conflict of interest. It's common in nonprofits, it's a hazard I've seen many times. Nonprofits depend on staff. Staff depends on income. The nonprofit board is advised by the staff. It can easily come to pass that the staff advises the board according to its own interests rather than the nonprofit purposes of the corporation.

Now, usually the interests of the staff and the purpose of the nonprofit are aligned. But there can be deviations. In particular, staff salaries can grow far out of proportion to the value developed by those staff members. Quite simply, not unusual. With for-profit corporations, the owners (shareholders) may exercise some restraint. With nonprofits, that kind of restraint is gone. There may be other restraints, but those, as well, can be problematic, even in the other direction.

I met a well-known fellow the other day who had raised more money for cancer research than had ever been raised before (by far). He lost his contract, because it was whacking the statistics on percentage of contributions that go for the target charitable purpose, as distinct from fundraising expenses and other overhead.

Suppose one spends $500,000 to raise $10 million for charity. 5% costs, not bad, eh? Now suppose one raises the costs to $50 million, but raises $200 million for research. 25% cost. And why is this guy making a huge salary? (I.e, comparable to what he'd have gotten in the for-profit sector, being a successful executive.) Off with his head!

And so it went, his organization was abruptly fired by the charity, very worried about backlash, and the fundraising figures collapsed. The point this particular guy was making was that charity is like every other economic activity. One spends money to make money. Parsimony in investment is penny-wise and pound foolish. He raised more money than anyone before because he spent money, and lots of it, with full-page ads that inspired people.

That was mass-audience fundraising. Raising money by targeted presentations to a few corporate boards can be quite different.

Now, back to the point. Yes, the goose that laid the golden egg, for the WikiMedia Foundation, is the "community" governance of Wikipedia. It allows them to assert almost total independence from responsibility for any damage caused.

Notice that Wikipedia relies on independent publishers for reliable source. That's because those publishers can be *sued* if they cause harm. So the unreliability of Wikipedia is directly related to this independence. There are no consequences for doing damage by providing unreliable/harmful information. The most outrageous users on Wikipedia, the largest loss they suffer is they are not allowed to edit any more. Under that name, anyway.

Given that, the WMF could still set up structures that would make the community operate far more reliably. But I've seen no sign that they have any intention of doing this. Why should they? They don't care that Wikipedia has a terrible reputation in academia. They are insulated from criticism.

Not their fault. The fault is Bad Editors, that's it. The fault, apparently, is Poetlister. Yeah, Poetlister, He Did It.

The only globally banned user.

Banned after a meta RfC started by a WMF Board Member, with what I judged to be actionable libel. (He later edited the filing, itself a problem. I.e., early responses were to what he claimed. Inertia established in the RfC, by the pile of early comments, he then backed off. He edited his claims, he did not use strikeout. So what did those early responses mean?)

Of course, he just did that on his own, I was merely surprised to see how naive he was.

Poetlister never elected to even threaten to sue, but he'd had plenty of cause over the years. He'd been subject to illegal extortion by a Wikipedia administrator, and that was known to ArbComm, which did nothing about it. Attempts had been made to damage his career.

Checkusers had released private information, that's how Longfellow, a permitted sock on Wikisource, I think it was, was outed as Poetlister. (He had disclosed identity to the 'crats, as was proper.)

(Poetlister did plenty to bring down approbation, and it still makes no sense to me, why he did what he did. But what he did and what he was accused of doing were different.)

So, the WMF has a privacy policy, but it has absolutely no teeth. Private checkuser information is disclosed to users who are not identifiable. Yes, they were *identified*, but who they are is then discarded. It's entirely unclear why they are identified at all. The whole purpose would be to ensure that only responsible users have access to the data, and "responsible" is not a character judgment, it indicates an actual consequence, personal harm, from policy violations. I.e., a checkuser, if immune to lawsuit from how they perform their job, is not responsible.

(If responsible is a character judgment, then error in the judgment creates responsibility on the part of the judge. So the WMF could be sued. None of this legal theory has been tested, to my knowledge. Testing it could be expensive, but a pro se litigant could cost the WMF quite a lot of money, while spending little. Or a volunteer lawyer could take the risk and possibly win fees.)

(This is in no way an encouragement to sue. It is a recognition of a risk, and it's essential that the risk be understood, so that it can either be consciously assumed, or avoided.)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:07 pm

Triptych wrote: He's got a fairly informative userpage here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philippe_%28WMF%29) and posts a picture in which he looks like a reasonably handsome guy, ladies.
Phillipe is gay. And speaking of, did you know that the Mobile Apps team is working on a gay reader app?

enwikibadscience
Habitué

Unread post by enwikibadscience » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:16 pm

tarantino wrote:
Triptych wrote: He's got a fairly informative userpage here (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Philippe_%28WMF%29) and posts a picture in which he looks like a reasonably handsome guy, ladies.
Phillipe is gay. And speaking of, did you know that the Mobile Apps team is working on a gay reader app?
He also appears to be jaundiced. A turn-off health issue to both genders.

WTF is a "gay reader app?" Is the reader gay? The app? The articles? WTF is the point?

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:39 pm

enwikibadscience wrote:
tarantino wrote: Phillipe is gay. And speaking of, did you know that the Mobile Apps team is working on a gay reader app?

WTF is a "gay reader app?" Is the reader gay? The app? The articles? WTF is the point?

Ha ha!
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Hex wrote:
enwikibadscience wrote:
tarantino wrote: Phillipe is gay. And speaking of, did you know that the Mobile Apps team is working on a gay reader app?

Ha ha!
Made you look.

MilesMoney
Critic
Wikipedia User: MilesMoney

Unread post by MilesMoney » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:13 pm

Abd wrote: (This is in no way an encouragement to sue. It is a recognition of a risk, and it's essential that the risk be understood, so that it can either be consciously assumed, or avoided.)
Still, you've proposed yet another way the Wikidebacle can end, which is through a single successful lawsuit bringing on a stream of others, which it cannot afford to defend against.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:55 pm

Kelly Martin wrote:
Triptych wrote:He is the architect of WMF's "first thing we do is destroy all the evidence" strategy.

[...]

The policy Beaudette is pursuing was developed when Cary Bass was "volunteer coordinator", although I don't know for sure if it was his idea or not. It's much older than Beaudette's involvement in the WMF.
I got the distinct impression that Cary was actually rather skillfully balancing the demands of the "community", the WMF legal team (such as it was), the trustees, and Jimbo. Had they paid him a lot more (and/or if he hadn't heard a higher calling), the WMF and its "Projects" might be in a much better state today.
This is not a signature.

neved
Gregarious
Location: Here, for whatever reason, is the world. And here it stays. With me on it.

Unread post by neved » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:05 pm

"Destroy the evidence" strategy is the first skill every WMF employee and almost every functionary should learn, if he wants to keep his employment and/or his power. Most of the them are dishonest cowards, but besides being a dishonest coward Philippe Beaudette is also an idiot.
In January of this year Beaudette misused his oversighting tools to cover up for his cronnie Mr.Urge1000

Why I say Beaudette misused oversighting tools? Because there was absolutely nothing to oversight. There was no outing, no links to external sites, no accusations, not even personal attacks. There were only some questions. The same questions have been raised on a different pages on Wiki, and nobody even revdeleted them, leave alone oversighted. The only difference in this particular situation was that the questions were addressed directly to the jerk Actually by oversiting the questions Beaudette has demonstrated those questions are legitimate.

Why I am saying that Beaudette is an idiot? Because he oversighted only questions leaving answers to be. Even by looking only at the answers one could see that demiurge1000 (T-C-L) did not feel like he was outed and/or harassed in any way. Just the opposite, he kept calmly pretending to be a maroon, when Beaudette came out swinging.
Below are the screen shots after and before Beaudette proved beyond a reasonable that he is an idiot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"We can forgive the Arabs for killing our children. We cannot forgive them for forcing us to kill their children." Golda Meir

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:15 am

neved wrote:"Destroy the evidence" strategy is the first skill every WMF employee and almost every functionary should learn, if he wants to keep his employment and/or his power. Most of the them are dishonest cowards, but besides being a dishonest coward Philippe Beaudette is also an idiot.
In January of this year Beaudette misused his oversighting tools to cover up for his cronnie Mr.Urge1000
Reading here and at Wikipedia I often pick up hints here and there that there are these social relationships between User A and User B and User C, and I gather they extend off-Wikipedia, but it's nebulous to try to discern their nature. Back during Kiefer Wolfowitz and Oliver Keyes thing, Wormthatturned was in there against Kiefer, but it seemed to me that Worm was into it because of Demiurge1000, whom Kiefer had sounded alarm bells about (because Kiefer was genuinely concerned about young users he had noticed Demiurge interacting with). Worm portrayed Kiefer's bell-ringing as unconscionable and rancid insinuation, never quite making an accusation, but the fact was that Kiefer was prohibited by policy, WP:CHILDPROTECT and so forth, from speaking directly and in details. It wasn't that Kiefer is the type who prefers to beat around the bush. So I wondered well what is the relationship between Worm and Demiurge1000? Is there more than meets the eye there? Who knows? It makes one crazy to try to sort it out. And then much later there's the back-and-forth at Phillipe Beaudette's page that you posted, Neved. You say Demiurge1000 is Phillipe's "crony" but I didn't really see that, it looked to me that the IP brought the matter to Phillipe's page, because Phillipe is senior WMF figure, and the IP was still concerned the child protection question hadn't been addressed.

Wikipedia was never a means for me to socialize. I mean I'd have cordial and friendly relationship with fellow editors who happened to work on the same article or article grouping, there'd be humor and sometimes a bit of irritation, but it was never a socializing environment. But others I've noticed do use it that way, particularly in tandem with or as an outgrowth of their socializing on IRC. And of course with the recent massive thing where Kevin Gorman deeply character attacked and threatened to block Eric Corbett, it turned out that a Facebook social chat with Wiki-parties unknown was guiding Gorman, according to Gorman. The socializing aspect seems to me is more on the administrative side of the house. A large majority or all of the arbs are constantly on IRC, and so is a mega-portion of administrators. A lot of times to that works to the detriment of those that they are blocking, who are often all alone, under a genuine handicap in self-defending, because they're not in that social-networking zone and on IRC. They're just trying to make articles.
Triptych. A Live Journal I have under other pseudonym, w. email address: Tim Song Fan. My Arbcom Accountability Project: in German. In art.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:24 am

tarantino wrote:
So this is Tarantino humor! Making us go try and find out the deal for the Wikipedia "gay reader app." Hilarious! We've been missing out, Wikipediocracy!

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:08 pm

My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:21 pm

Part of the reason the WMF doesn't care about Wikipedia or the other not for profit projects like Wiktionary, commons, etc. is because they are, for all intents and purposes, free advertising for the for profit Wikia projects and the MediaWiki software. Sure they do some good, but they are also the first to get all patches and potentially useful applications, they are high visibility and fairly popular and most importantly they have a lot of free labor putting efforts into building them.

Now I have known this for a long time, years in fact, and I have continued to participate because despite the obvious use of Wikipedia and associated apps as guinea pigs, my feeling was they did a fair amount of good. Even the for profit Wikia projects are useful and a lot of people participate in the knowing that a profit is being generated off their free labor. Although, admittedly, Wikia uses a different editing modal.

Having said that, I have long thought that the WMF doesn't care one iota about Wikipedia or any of the other projects. Whether they admit it or not, they are a marketing tool for the Wikia projects and especially the MediaWiki software. Additionally, they get a lot of free revenue from investors to maintain their "non profit" and a lot of that goes into paying for "improvements" and other things that, shockingly I know are shared with Wikia, which is, for those that don't know, in the same building (just downstairs if I remember correctly). They also work together quite a bit like the development of Visual Editor.

So, it doesn't surprise me in the least that the WMF doesn't want to keep documentation on Wikipedia editors. They are expendable and when and if they get into trouble, they are cut loose as can be seen by the numerous lawsuits levied on editors over the years where the WMF has left alone and without support.

Triptych
Retired

Unread post by Triptych » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:12 pm

Hersch wrote:Flesh this out a bit, document it, and put it in language for the layman, and you will have a good blog post. Please keep me in the loop.
I will write the front-page article generally as I described it and otherwise in accordance with your guidance, but I want access to the confidential Wikipediocracy forum.