Project Wars

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
eppur si muove
Habitué
kołdry

Project Wars

Unread post by eppur si muove » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:01 am

The last proposed motions in each section of the proposed decision on the Fae case indicate an interesting ratcheting up of the conflict between the English Wikipedia and Commons.
wikimedia Commons and English Language Wikipedia
11) Files hosted on Wikipedia's sister-site, Commons and used on the English Language Wikipedia must still comply with all relevant policies, including that of copyright. Users must take care to properly license such files on Commons before adding them to the English language Wikipedia. Failure to do so can lead to community or Arbitration Committee sanctions

Support:
Wikimedia Commons is heavily involved with English Language Wikipedia. We may not be hosting the files, merely linking to the files that it hosts, however, if the copyright status of a file is invalid on Commons, we are on the same hook. So it behooves us to make sure that the files are properly licensed. Such concerns must however be worked through hand in hand with Wikimedia Commons as the file's host. SirFozzie (talk) 01:31, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
Fæ has been accused of infringing copyright
11)Fæ has been accused of infringing copyright on files he has uploaded to Wikimedia Commons, but no specific files have been alleged to infringe.

Support:
This has been a sidebar on the talk page, but in my review of the evidence posted, no one pointed to a specific file and say "This file uploaded by Fae has an incorrect copyright/license. So, we can't rule one way or the other. I set up a remedy down below to have this reviewed to make sure that the licenses and copyright are properly handed. SirFozzie (talk) 01:39, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
Encourage review of Fæ's file contributions
7) As no specific infringements of Fæ's file contributions have been entered into evidence, the Committee cannot rule on whether their submissions violate copyright. Instead, we suggest that a review of files that Fæ has contributed. This review should be similar to that done at WP:CCI, and any infringing files be removed from Commons and use on Wikipedia.

Support:
Again, no specifics were provided the Committee.. but there has been enough general information posted (here as well as on external sites) that I think a proper review needs to happen, and any infringing files removed. SirFozzie (talk) 01:46, 9 July 2012 (UTC)
Although anybody could carry out this review, the person who I can think of who has done most digging intop the copyright status of Fae's contributions to Commons is Pieter Kuiper, who of course is banned from Commons. Once the precedent is set with Fae, PK would presumably be able to look at copyright problems with several other Commonists active on the English WP. And if Pieter is as multi-lingual as the caricature Dutchman, then he can do something similar on several other WPs.

The other project war that might occur is between the English Wikipedia and WMUK. Let's see if Jon Davies or the rest of the Trustees have the common sense to get van Haeften to resign from all positions with them or if they are ridiculous enough to try to defend him.

piku
Critic
Wikipedia User: Pieter Kuiper
Wikipedia Review Member: pietkuip

Re: Project Wars

Unread post by piku » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:32 pm

eppur si muove wrote:Once the precedent is set with Fae, PK would presumably be able to look at copyright problems with several other Commonists active on the English WP.
Anyone in particular that I should have a look at?

I scrutinized Rlevse's contributions on Commons, who was then an ArbCom member. Look at http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commo ... _Teddy.jpg and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User_ ... eddy_Bears how such a position affects people's votes and their level of participation in a deletion discussion.

It was renominated after I made a comment in this DR. And deleted - nobody had anything to gain by supporting Rlevse after his plagiarism had been exposed on enwp.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Re: Project Wars

Unread post by eppur si muove » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 pm

piku wrote:
eppur si muove wrote:Once the precedent is set with Fae, PK would presumably be able to look at copyright problems with several other Commonists active on the English WP.
Anyone in particular that I should have a look at?
You know better than me. It would be amusing if Fae were not the only plagiarist involved with WMUK but I haven't heard any evidence against any of them.