Down with Ironholds?

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Kingsindian
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Re: Down with Ironholds?

Unread post by Kingsindian » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:09 am

Lightbreather wrote: When I bring up Eric it is usually "new stuff". If there is a single "Down with Eric Corbett" discussion here that is the officially sanctioned one old thread, please tell me which it is and I'll use it in future.

Also, if you're really being honest, when you bring up new stuff about Ironholds, it's usually accompanied by reminders of old stuff.
Look, just use the search function.

"Eric Corbett" gets more than 3000 hits.
"Malleus" gets more than 2000 hits.

Neither "Ironholds" nor "Oliver" comes close.

If you think that people here are soft on Eric Corbett, especially Vigilant, I don't know how to cure your delusion. It's just that it's a topic that's been discussed to death, and there's nothing much new.

Nowadays Eric Corbett seems semi or mostly retired. If he was making an ass of himself on the Wikimedia-l mailing list or in the Signpost comments section, I am sure you would hear about it.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:02 pm

Lightbreather wrote:When I bring up Eric it is usually "new stuff". If there is a single "Down with Eric Corbett" discussion here that is the officially sanctioned one old thread, please tell me which it is and I'll use it in future.
Dropping passive aggression and innocent newbie posing would help.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Once again, this thread has been turned into an offtopic rehased discussion about Somebody Else, based on the fact that one poster here has little else to say about any other aspect of Wikipedia.

Funny how that works. And works. And works. And works.

RfB

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:27 pm

All this proves is that Ironholds is a gun for hire in search of on-wiki allies, and has found a few in a nest of hyperaggressive feminists. Let's hope that he does not apply to the FDC for a grant to teach throat punching at a Wiki-bootcamp for women editors.

There are unintended consequences to every action. If the WMF hires less-than-the-best engineeers for its technical team, we all suffer. If hiring someone who has been an active admin on English Wikipedia enboldens him to make an above average number of bad blocks, we all suffer. If any group comes to Wikipedia for POV-pushing, we all suffer. If an WMF employee who continues to be an admin in his spare time allies himself with a POV-pushing clique, we get a perfect storm of unintended bad consequences.

Lightbreather
Resurrected

Unread post by Lightbreather » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:06 pm

Kingsindian wrote:If you think that people here are soft on Eric Corbett, especially Vigilant, I don't know how to cure your delusion. It's just that it's a topic that's been discussed to death, and there's nothing much new.

Nowadays Eric Corbett seems semi or mostly retired. If he was making an ass of himself on the Wikimedia-l mailing list or in the Signpost comments section, I am sure you would hear about it.
I didn't say Vigilant is soft on anyone. What I said is, some editors are indulged as perennial subjects here.

Lightbreather
Resurrected

Unread post by Lightbreather » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:12 pm

eagle wrote:... a nest of hyperaggressive feminists....
:lmao:

Lightbreather
Resurrected

Unread post by Lightbreather » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:19 pm

eagle wrote:.... throat punching....
:deadhorse:

While I agree that TALK of throat punching others is bad, how many *years* ago was this? Was it ever more than TALK? Has that kind of TALK continued?

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Read the thread before posting. You can use the site's search facilities to answer your recent insincere questions.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”

Lightbreather
Resurrected

Unread post by Lightbreather » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:06 pm

Lightbreather wrote:

While I agree that TALK of throat punching others is bad, how many *years* ago was this? Was it ever more than TALK? Has that kind of TALK continued?
The questions were rhetorical, but in case anyone wants the answers: 1. Seven years. 2. No. 3. No.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:23 pm

Lightbreather wrote:
Lightbreather wrote:
While I agree that TALK of throat punching others is bad,
  • 1. how many *years* ago was this?
    2. Was it ever more than TALK?
    3. Has that kind of TALK continued?
The questions were rhetorical, but in case anyone wants the answers:
  • 1. Seven years.
    2. No.
    3. No
On the contrary, your questions are legitimate but your answers are erroneous, as is obvious to anybody who has read the thread. Before you waste any more time, review a review:
Moral Hazard wrote:Ironholds (T-C-L)/Oliver Keyes, who used Wikipedia's IRC
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:44 pm

I suppose you could ask if he has actually harmed anyone (as some people on Wikipedia have done, or tried to do), or whether he is just a sick but probably harmless fantasist.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Kingsindian
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kingsindian

Unread post by Kingsindian » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:36 am

Now that Ironholds is no longer a WMF employee (and in a PR role at that), I don't really think his bad taste in jokes matters too much. I think this was Vigilant's (and others') biggest gripe in the early part of this thread.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:42 am

The only reason he gets mentioned here is that he still bloviates on the Wikipedia-l mailing list and a few other Wikimedia outlets as if he is an ethical stuffed shirt.

He's still an influence, and is trying to steer policy.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:53 pm

Zoloft wrote:The only reason he gets mentioned here is that he still bloviates on the Wikipedia-l mailing list and a few other Wikimedia outlets as if he is an ethical stuffed shirt.

I doubt that there is a shortage of idiots on Wikimedia outlets. If he is an influence, what is he saying now? Let's judge that on its own merits, rather than the extraordinarily stupid and nasty things he said years ago. We have rightly condemned those already.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:21 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Zoloft wrote:The only reason he gets mentioned here is that he still bloviates on the Wikipedia-l mailing list and a few other Wikimedia outlets as if he is an ethical stuffed shirt.

I doubt that there is a shortage of idiots on Wikimedia outlets. If he is an influence, what is he saying now? Let's judge that on its own merits, rather than the extraordinarily stupid and nasty things he said years ago. We have rightly condemned those already.
You are correct, and when I get back from work today, I'll probably trim the cruft off this topic back to discussion of Ironholds's latest post.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:43 pm

Oliver Keyes, Erik Mo:leman and Brandon Harris have all entered that post employment haze while still thinking of themselves as the movers and shakers of 'teh community'.

They've all been terrible forever and show no signs of letting up on wikimedia-l or the facebook agony arm page.

They'll keep getting punked as long they keep saying stupid stuff.
Talk shit, get hit.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:58 pm

Vigilant wrote:Oliver Keyes, Erik Mo:leman and Brandon Harris have all entered that post employment haze while still thinking of themselves as the movers and shakers of 'teh community'.

They've all been terrible forever and show no signs of letting up on wikimedia-l or the facebook agony arm page.

They'll keep getting punked as long they keep saying stupid stuff.
Talk shit, get hit.
Basically agree. Also, shut up and we'll let up.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Newyorkbrad
Gregarious

Unread post by Newyorkbrad » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:37 pm

There are few people who would stand up well to being publicly judged on the basis of the most ill-advised or distasteful comments they ever made in what they thought (whether rightly or wrongly, smartly or stupidly) was a private conversation.

There is no reason to believe that Ironholds continues to make such comments, or that he ever posed or now poses an actual threat to anyone. In light of this, the continued emphasis here on dumb things he said on IRC several years ago constitutes bullying.

It might be worth reviving such a subject if the person in question were now, for example, seeking access to the nuclear button, but not because he offers his opinions on a mailing list concerning the management of a website. And it certainly is not justified to revive the subject whenever he says something, in an effort to deter him from speaking out about subjects of concern to him.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:53 pm

Newyorkbrad wrote:There are few people who would stand up well to being publicly judged on the basis of the most ill-advised or distasteful comments they ever made in what they thought (whether rightly or wrongly, smartly or stupidly) was a private conversation.
Shut up with that disingenuous shit, Ira.
He made most of his most egregious comments in the wikipedia admins' official IRC channel acting as the PR facing person for his work.
That is not a 'private conversation'.

I honestly cannot believe you try to run that lie here.
Shall we quote the findings of the ARBCOM case?
Newyorkbrad wrote:There is no reason to believe that Ironholds continues to make such comments, or that he ever posed or now poses an actual threat to anyone. In light of this, the continued emphasis here on dumb things he said on IRC several years ago constitutes bullying.
Has he ever apologized to the person he made the remarks to? Ever?
We both know the answer, don't we Ira?

In order to receive absolution, you must first repent.
We've learned that at the behest of the ARBCOM and ANI vultures.

Goose. Gander. Sauce.
Newyorkbrad wrote:It might be worth reviving such a subject if the person in question were now, for example, seeking access to the nuclear button, but not because he offers his opinions on a mailing list concerning the management of a website. And it certainly is not justified to revive the subject whenever he says something, in an effort to deter him from speaking out about subjects of concern to him.
He is emblematic of the failures of WMF hiring and management practices.
He publicly flails at Lila during the 'buh bye' debacle.
He got himself thrown off the island in the R community over give.head().
He has utterly humiliated himself on every front and still opines imperiously on things about which he knows nothing.

He is Ryan Kaldari pontificating about how terrible joking about suicide is while hosting snuffster.com.
He is Fae talking about the dangers of nepotism in wiki-management.
He is Eric Corbett worrying about bitey behavior.

He is hypocrisy incarnate.

And so now, are you.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:41 pm

Ironholds has been discussed based on his recent behavior, as in this thread.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:13 pm

This may be just me, but I don't have the impression that anyone really takes him seriously anymore, if they ever did.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Anroth
Nice Scum

Unread post by Anroth » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:This may be just me, but I don't have the impression that anyone really takes him seriously anymore, if they ever did.
It was when ole throatpuncher started bleating about respect for others, etc etc that I went from considering him a misogynist to an imbecile misogynist.

-edit- I won't lie, it is my goal to get throatpuncher/ing into as many Ironholds related discussions as possible.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:50 pm

Anroth wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:This may be just me, but I don't have the impression that anyone really takes him seriously anymore, if they ever did.
It was when ole throatpuncher started bleating about respect for others, etc etc that I went from considering him a misogynist to an imbecile misogynist.

-edit- I won't lie, it is my goal to get throatpuncher/ing into as many Ironholds related discussions as possible.
Whatever floats your boat. To me it seems like a tired old meme.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:33 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Anroth wrote:

Pardon me if it seems to me like one hardened wiki-cultist trying to cover for another.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:35 am

Vigilant wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
Anroth wrote:

Pardon me if it seems to me like one hardened wiki-cultist trying to cover for another.
I'm gonna have a sad if we have to call this one for Beeblebrox.
This is not a signature.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:19 am

SB_Johnny wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
Anroth wrote:

Yeah, I really don't see how anything I said could be interpreted as covering for him. He's quite plainly been his own worst enemy, and now he seems to be fresh out of wiki-friends as a result.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:28 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
Anroth wrote:

Yeah, I really don't see how anything I said could be interpreted as covering for him. He's quite plainly been his own worst enemy, and now he seems to be fresh out of wiki-friends as a result.
'This is a tired old meme' is the rough equivalent of 'there's an encyclopedia to write'.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:18 am

Sometimes Beebs is right.
:)
Brief updates on Ironholds's latest incidents have been informative.

The thread would improve without iterating loop invariant (T-H-L)s (which have been discussed already in the thread):
Repeat
  • Ironholds did not do x or y;
    Ironholds actually did x [link(s)] and y [link(s)];
Until exhaustion;
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:07 pm

Oh look!
My favorite little monkey has more poo to fling.
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/w ... 83737.html

Oliver, why don't you, Brandon and Erik go away?
You guys were shitty engineers when you were with the WMF and now have no credibility whatsoever.
Oliver 'throatpuncher' Keyes wrote:Off the top of my head:
FYI, you forgot 'pointy'.
You've never been a deep thinker, but I have come to realize that your extemerpous extemporaneous thoughts are likely just as valid as your deep ones.
Oliver 'throatpuncher' Keyes wrote:1. Because we have absolutely no idea, from the briefs given, about
the technological stack and how well it meshes with our existing
expertise as a movement, or the WMF's existing expertise as a
technical entity;
Who is 'we'? Do you have a mouse in your pocket?
You left ... crying. You do't get a vote.
More to the point, you were never a sharp tech.
Even if you were still in the warm embrace of the only company that you'll ever get anywhere at, you'd still be ignored completely on matter of this sort because you don't have the technical chops to comment intelligently about it.
Please, for the sake of all that is holy, shut up when you know nothing about the topic.
Oliver 'throatpuncher' Keyes wrote:2. Because we have absolutely no idea, from the briefs given, how much
progress was made and thus how much work is needed or even if the
projects were a failure;
So nobody can send an email asking about these projects?
"It's not completely clear that this one email to a mailing list can prove that all of this stuff is done. We should abandon it forever because I'm a whiny turd!"
Further proof that you have no business in technology.
Go back to estate law.
Oliver 'throatpuncher' Keyes wrote:3. Because the policy you're linking to is a policy for 18F, and it's
totally unclear as to whether DARPA contractors or employees are
covered by that, or whether the source code would be released or fall
under the restrictions section given its origin in a military research
arena;
Perhaps another mindboggling difficult email is in order, no?
Pssst! the number after 3 is 4.
Oliver 'throatpuncher' Keyes wrote:3. Because "hey, we took a load of propaganda software from the US
military and now we're spending donor dollars on it" looks
*incredibly* bad and ominous to pretty much anyone outside the US,
including most of Africa, the Middle East, and Asia, areas we are
trying to expand into as their populations come online more and more
and areas the US military that wrote this software is continuously
bombing the shit out of.
Take your outraged Social Justice Warrior schtick somewhere else.
It's software and it's free and open source.
Nobody in a sane state of mind would take you seriously here.
Oliver 'throatpuncher' Keyes wrote:Basically it's far too early to make any useful determination about
this, and even if it wasn't, the optics are atrocious.
Eat a dick, Oliver.
You're completely out of your depth here.

Never mind. After talking with the higher-ups of the Hasten-the-Day party here at WO, I would like to retract all previous words in this post and suggest that rehiring Oliver 'throatpuncher' Keyes, this time for his rightful position of CTO/SJW, would be a more thoughtful and appropriate approach to this situation.

Hot box!

Edit:
Spelling. Good catch Spartaz. WTF spellchecker?! I trusted you! :crying:
Last edited by Vigilant on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spartaz
Critic
Wikipedia User: Spartaz
Wikipedia Review Member: Spartaz

Unread post by spartaz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:31 pm

What does extemerpous mean?
Evil by definition
Badly spelled by crappy tablet
Humbugg!

Pablo
Critic
Wikipedia User: pablo X

Unread post by Pablo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:26 pm

"Extremely porous thoughts"
clockwork oranges are not the only fruit

Demonology
Critic
Actual Name: Beatrix

Unread post by Demonology » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:53 am

Vigilant wrote: Pssst! the number after 3 is 4.
Oh, dear, he really did do that. :D

What exactly is the throatpuncher giving his ever so valued opinions about?

"Broad Operational Language Translation (BOLT) program is aimed at enabling communication with non-English-speaking populations and identifying important information in foreign-language sources by: 1) allowing English-speakers to understand foreign-language sources of all genres, including chat, messaging and informal conversation; 2) providing English-speakers the ability to quickly identify targeted information in foreign-language sources using natural-language queries; and 3) enabling multi-turn communication in text and speech with non-English speakers. If successful, BOLT would deliver all capabilities free from domain or genre limitations."

and

"tools to support the efforts of human operators to counter misinformation or deception campaigns with truthful information."

Those both sound like horrible, evil things and should be destroyed! How dare the WMF even think of "rescuing" them.
"Aurora borealis?? At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your kitchen?!"

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:00 am

Demonology wrote:
Vigilant wrote: Pssst! the number after 3 is 4.
Oh, dear, he really did do that. :D

What exactly is the throatpuncher giving his ever so valued opinions about?

"Broad Operational Language Translation (BOLT) program is aimed at enabling communication with non-English-speaking populations and identifying important information in foreign-language sources by: 1) allowing English-speakers to understand foreign-language sources of all genres, including chat, messaging and informal conversation; 2) providing English-speakers the ability to quickly identify targeted information in foreign-language sources using natural-language queries; and 3) enabling multi-turn communication in text and speech with non-English speakers. If successful, BOLT would deliver all capabilities free from domain or genre limitations."

and

"tools to support the efforts of human operators to counter misinformation or deception campaigns with truthful information."

Those both sound like horrible, evil things and should be destroyed! How dare the WMF even think of "rescuing" them.
I know, right?!

The optics, man ... the optics ...

LynnWysong
Banned

Unread post by LynnWysong » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:28 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Moral Hazard wrote:Viriditas has been mentioned many times on Wikipediocracy, because of his behavior and interests.
Probably not enough times, but yes.
Here's a classic discussion among Wnt, Viriditas, and normal (Wikipediocracy) contributors.
Folks, you are all being trolled silly. Robert Greenwald exposed this nonsense in Fox Attacks: Decency and "Fox News Porn" in 2007.[3][4] Fox "News" is in no position to criticize Wikipedia for hosting sexual content when, according to Greenwald, Fox "News" has a long and sordid history of distributing it on their own network channel 24/7.[5] Viriditas (T-C-L)(talk) 00:34, 7 June 2012 (UTC)

Fox News has its issues, but I myself support the idea of some kind of filter on WMF projects' adult content. Cla68 (T-C-L) (talk) 00:41, 7 June 2012 (UTC)

That's how repressive regimes begin. First you start with the sexual content that offends people, then you move on to the religious content, and finally, the political content. Funny how it's always the people screaming "freedom" and "liberty" the loudest who are always trying to curtail it. The facts show that Wikipedia is an encyclopedia that covers some topics and subjects that might concern sexual content. As good people who only want the best for this site, we hope such content is conveyed with a respectful and reasoned approach, in an educational manner and with an eye on informing readers and improving access to knowledge. Nothing about this statement says that we must cover all subjects, just that it should be relevant and informative to human knowledge. Can Fox "News" say the same? No, they cannot, and more importantly, will not, because their primary impetus is not to inform and educate but to disinform and promote ignorance. More to the point, they sexualize the content they report in a demeaning and gratuitous manner, so much so, that many people would call Fox "news porn". Viriditas (T-C-L)(talk) 00:51, 7 June 2012 (UTC)

The cinema has had age ratings for decades. It has not affected the ability of people on any end of the political spectrum to make movies one way or the other. Wikipedians are the only ones who see their ability to show the most bizarre types of porn to children as somehow inextricably linked with human freedom. And most of them don't even have children. JN466 (T-C-L) 19:23, 7 June 2012 (UTC)

Nonsense. The heavy hand of the censor is brutally apparent in American movies under this ostensibly "voluntary" system. Think of how many films didn't dare to show even a purely romantic same-sex kiss until just a few years ago, and the impact that this had on youth already facing significant persecution. There have been an appalling number of suicides by teens who just couldn't take the constant wearing down. Censorship doesn't just make for bad movies, it kills people. It is palpably and deliberately evil. Wnt (T-C-L) (talk) 21:59, 7 June 2012 (UTC)

Agreed. Now, can someone explain why the people who are always trying to censor sexual content have no interest whatsoever in censoring violence? Why is it unacceptable to use a dirty word or show a breast, but perfectly acceptable to point a gun at someone, threaten to kill them, and then, using realistic special effects, show damage to the human body and dramatize emotional and physical trauma? In other words, why are we arguing about sexuality and pleasure, when threats to commit violence and the depiction of violent imagery have the greatest social harm? If someone can answer this glaring contradiction, I would be most grateful. Viriditas (T-C-L) (talk) 22:08, 7 June 2012 (UTC)

Both of youse, Wnt and Viriditas are into some heavy Goodwin's Law territory. Somehow, unless Common is allowed to show low quality photos of people sticking toothbrushes into all sorts of places, people will kill themselves. Seriously? And teen-suicides are all about the fact that there's a NC-17 rating? And then there's the whole red-herring of violence... how is this exactly related? Unless you're talking about stuff like the crappy misogynist Donkey Punch video which the same group of Commons admins fought to keep and insert into Wikipedia articles. What the hell does it have to do with the topic? Way to derail the subject. And welcome to planet Insane.VolunteerMarek (T-C-L) 23:44, 7 June 2012 (UTC)

I'll say again - if you cite Godwin's law when no one else has mentioned Hitler, you're the first to mention Hitler (by reference) which makes you the loser of a Usenet argument. Besides, Mike Godwin is, alas, not the WMF counsel anymore. What I cited was not a comparison to Naziism, only an example of one of the many ways that censorship kills people. Not a stretch, not hyperbole, but a commonplace. Censorship killed people in the 1980s when TV stations were too "moral" to run condom ads, and even the Surgeon General was being daring to mention the word. Censorship killed people when protesters were infiltrated and disrupted from stopping the war in Vietnam or the terrorist attacks on Nicaragua.
It kills people when bestgore.com is threatened with an obscenity prosecution for the crime of catching Luka Magnotta [This seems like something I don't want to Google. --KW], and people stop talking about the horrors of the world.
Wnt (T-C-L)???

Wnt,
just shut up.
If you really think that the existence of a NC-17 rating in movies "brutally kills people" or something then your opinion really has no place in intelligent discourse. And now you're going off on some crazy tangents about Vietnam and Nicaragua and comparing the obviously horrible things that happened there to ... lack of ads for condoms during the 1980's. Why do normal, reasonable, common sense, constructive Wikipedia editors have to put up with this bat shit crazy stuff and why are reasonable proposals (and ones supported by both Jimbo and WMF - just so we're clear here) held hostage to nutzoids like you? And people wonder about the dismal editor retention on this project.VolunteerMarek (T-C-L) 02:00, 8 June 2012 (UTC)

Never mind Godwin. If you want a Godwin, I'll give you something beyond a Godwin, an answer to Viriditas about why it is important to protect the right to view violence, often even more than the right to view sexual matter. I present you with a modern day Christian martyr, a man who surely shall stand beside Perpetua in the Kingdom of Heaven. I present you with that quite possibly "obscene" site, a truly terrible video, though it was freely broadcast in Egypt: [6] And I say this: what is most remarkable about this video is not the blood, or the severing of the vertebrae, but the calm and resolute faith of the man, even as his life is so brutally ended, his willingness to refuse even to make a token white lie of recantation and acceptance to Islam. Never mind the powers of rules and knives; the power of belief, see that power conquer all, in our world and the next.
Wnt (T-C-L)(talk) 01:48, 8 June 2012 (UTC)
Updated with emboldening of some of the craziness.
I miss Volunteer Marek.
Viriditas has been missing for four months now.