Admin resignations

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Admin resignations

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:09 pm

Casliber wrote:
Hex wrote:
Vigilant wrote: Readers don't give a flying fuck about FA/GA status.
It's internal wiki-masturbation and counting coup.
I'm pretty sure that the massive majority of readers have no interest in Wikipedia at all beyond quickly getting the information they want from articles.
Succinct, clear writing can be a joy to read (and a great way to make knowledge interesting), and anyone who facilitates this is highly worthwhile. The world's media is full of enough turgid drivel as it is, some of which seems to have the goal of driving off rather than engaging the reader......
And just how many wikipedia articles full of turgid drivel would you have to wade through to find this uranium unicorn of literary salve?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Casliber wrote:
Hex wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the massive majority of readers have no interest in Wikipedia at all beyond quickly getting the information they want from articles.
Succinct, clear writing can be a joy to read (and a great way to make knowledge interesting), and anyone who facilitates this is highly worthwhile. The world's media is full of enough turgid drivel as it is, some of which seems to have the goal of driving off rather than engaging the reader......
What the GA/FA process is, in actuality, is a mutual admiration society of ladder-climbing copyeditors more interested in the size of dashes and the insertion of reference templates than in any meaningful qualitative improvements to the content of the articles which they victimize.

I'm fine with copyeditors fixing what needs to be fixed on new articles coming through the queue and so forth, but the Good Article process is a massive time sink and a wankathon...

RfB

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:01 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Casliber wrote:
Hex wrote:
What the GA/FA process is, in actuality, is a mutual admiration society of ladder-climbing copyeditors more interested in the size of dashes and the insertion of reference templates than in any meaningful qualitative improvements to the content of the articles which they victimize.

I'm fine with copyeditors fixing what needs to be fixed on new articles coming through the queue and so forth, but the Good Article process is a massive time sink and a wankathon...

RfB
Now, you are being sloppy. Reference templates are optional for good articles.

I have 4 good articles. Name one that was not substantially improved through the good article reviewing process.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:05 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Casliber wrote:
Hex wrote:

RfB
In my experience, the only problem has been a lack of astronomy reviewers for my articles who are neutral and unbiased towards me (given the small size and extent of collaboration in that community). Otherwise, the process seems pretty solid, only it needs to be sped up for articles in the sciences. Plus, it's good that there is at least some form of editorial control deciding what gets onto the front of the Main Page.

I think that GA and FA are good, but need to become more like actual academic journal editorial boards, with the editors notifying disinterested editors to review the articles, rather than a mishmash of whoever boards the rain. In my experience, a mutual-admiration society is the last thing I've found GA and FA to be.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Jaranda
Critic
Wikipedia User: Secret
Wikipedia Review Member: Jaranda

Unread post by Jaranda » Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:36 am

HRIP7 wrote:
Volunteer Marek wrote:Mmmm. I wouldn't say that Inglot "can't write idiomatic English", or that the copy edits are particularly bad. Most of them appear to be just fine and at least some are quite legit (example http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =560583368).
Fair enough. Having now clicked through a dozen other copy edits by Inglok (and done my bit to keep Wikipedia at no. 7 on Alexa ... 7? When did it drop?), I didn't see any more that were problematic.
It fell as far as 8 before getting back to 7 all within the past month and a half.

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 am

Wer900 wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Casliber wrote:
Hex wrote:

RfB
In my experience, the only problem has been a lack of astronomy reviewers for my articles who are neutral and unbiased towards me (given the small size and extent of collaboration in that community). Otherwise, the process seems pretty solid, only it needs to be sped up for articles in the sciences. Plus, it's good that there is at least some form of editorial control deciding what gets onto the front of the Main Page.

I think that GA and FA are good, but need to become more like actual academic journal editorial boards, with the editors notifying disinterested editors to review the articles, rather than a mishmash of whoever boards the rain. In my experience, a mutual-admiration society is the last thing I've found GA and FA to be.
Ssome kind of editorial board is maybe not a bad idea, but as it would suggest there was actually someone in charge that would be anathema to WP. As to your general comments about your experiences with GA/FA I absolutely agree; a mutual admiration society it most certainly is not. Stiil, very few here are interested in the facts, or have any experience on which to call.

lilburne
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Nastytroll
Wikipedia Review Member: Lilburne

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Malleus wrote: Ssome kind of editorial board is maybe not a bad idea, but as it would suggest there was actually someone in charge that would be anathema to WP. As to your general comments about your experiences with GA/FA I absolutely agree; a mutual admiration society it most certainly is not. Stiil, very few here are interested in the facts, or have any experience on which to call.

Whatever! the GA/FA reviewers still let "in 1345 under Richard II" though the net.
They have been inserting little memes in everybody's mind
So Google's shills can shriek there whenever they're inclined

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:22 pm

lilburne wrote:
Malleus wrote: Ssome kind of editorial board is maybe not a bad idea, but as it would suggest there was actually someone in charge that would be anathema to WP. As to your general comments about your experiences with GA/FA I absolutely agree; a mutual admiration society it most certainly is not. Stiil, very few here are interested in the facts, or have any experience on which to call.

Whatever! the GA/FA reviewers still let "in 1345 under Richard II" though the net.
So you claim.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:19 pm

Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.
So I do. Now lets see who wrote it, and look who copy edited it.

:XD :banana: :XD
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:44 pm

lilburne wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.

That's a rarity for FA and GA. For really egregious problems in grammar, you should look no further than DYK. I've had to correct the grammar of articles written by Dr. Blofeld (T-C-L) himself, the king of DYK. DYK hooks are generally uninteresting, except for April Fools' Day. Nor is DYK that selective; four out of twenty articles I've written are DYKs, and those are just the ones that I bothered to nominate AFTER I found out about the nomination process. And never forget Gibraltar.

If the present RfC on FA governance is extended to GA as well, then those processes would be well on their way to being efficient peer review (FA and GA reviews individually are good, but the process overall is slow). Just have the FA coordinators get disinterested peer reviewers and all will be fine.

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:59 pm

lilburne wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.

I've never considered fact checking to be a part of copy editing.

dogbiscuit
Retired
Wikipedia User: tiucsibgod

Unread post by dogbiscuit » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.

But, but, the wisdom of the crowds. You don't need to know anything to magically evolve a perfect article.

(I'd probably not have spotted it).

I wonder where Ironholds copied paraphrased the text from.
Time for a new signature.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:59 pm

dogbiscuit wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.

But, but, the wisdom of the crowds. You don't need to know anything to magically evolve a perfect article.

He grabbed most of it from two journal articles written in the 1920s. Whether the source had mistaken Richard II for Edward III, or Keys got his date wrong is any one's guess. If was the source then who knows what else is wrong, if Keys then what else did he garble. What we do know is that it went all the way through GA and FA reviews without any one noticing.

Though the direct idiocy has been removed the article still makes the claim that Richard II was king in 1345.
Academics estimate that the Court of Chancery formally split from and became independent of the curia regis in the mid-14th century, at which time it consisted of the Lord Chancellor and his personal staff ...
By 1345 the Lord Chancellor began to be seen as the leader of the Court of Chancery, rather than as a representative of the King, and writs and bills were addressed directly to him. Under Richard II it became practice to consider the Chancery separate from the curia; academic William Carne considers this a key moment in confirming the independence of the Court of Chancery.
Have fun unraveling all that. Feature article one of the best :XD

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:40 pm

dogbiscuit wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.

It's Oliver Keyes. He has plenty of friends. Remember, even respected academic journals make a few retractions a year.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Wer900 wrote: It's Oliver Keyes. He has plenty of friends. Remember, even respected academic journals make a few retractions a year.
Yes they do, and perhaps the Texas Law journal that Keyes took the above from made a retraction, or issued an errata page. The problem here isn't that Keyes or Mally made a mistake, the problem is that the load of them are writing historical articles, pretending that they are academic and yet having little understanding of the context in which they are writing. With Richard II Shakespeare wrote a major play about him, so one has to assume that they are ignorant of literature too.

History is not something wikipedia is particularly good at. Once you start to look you'll find this sort of shite everywhere.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:51 pm

Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.
:facepalm:
Malleus wrote:I've never considered fact checking to be a part of copy editing.
Or maybe you just don't think having the facts right is important when it comes to "good" encyclopedia articles. :hamsterwheel:
This is not a signature.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:54 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.
Or maybe you just don't think having the facts right is important when it comes to "good" encyclopedia articles. :hamsterwheel:
Peer reviews and other editorial processes are for fact-checking. Copy-editing merely improves the prose and flow of the article, although I am inclined to do a little fact-checking on the side if I deem it prudent.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:58 pm

lilburne wrote:
Wer900 wrote: It's Oliver Keyes. He has plenty of friends. Remember, even respected academic journals make a few retractions a year.
Yes they do, and perhaps the Texas Law journal that Keyes took the above from made a retraction, or issued an errata page. The problem here isn't that Keyes or Mally made a mistake, the problem is that the load of them are writing historical articles, pretending that they are academic and yet having little understanding of the context in which they are writing. With Richard II Shakespeare wrote a major play about him, so one has to assume that they are ignorant of literature too.

History is not something wikipedia is particularly good at. Once you start to look you'll find this sort of shite everywhere.
ItsZippy (T-C-L) is a 19-year old administrator. When he's not playing bannination! he's...
Irenaean theodicy (T-H-L) - expanded to Good Article status. Hope to get to Featured Article at some point in the future.
Augustinian theodicy (T-H-L) - created and brought to Featured Article status.
Privation (T-H-L) - expanded this to be more than just a definition; don't know what else I'll do here.
Ontological argument (T-H-L) - expanded to Good Article status. Still have a few improvements to make; may take to FA in the future.
Teleological argument (T-H-L) - have worked with Machine Elf 1735 in the past to expand & improve. May pick it up again later.
Prosperity theology (T-H-L) - worked on with Mark Arsten and reached Featured Article status.
Theodicy (T-H-L) - would like to improve and expand; have done a little work but not exactly sure what I intend to do yet.
Problem of evil (T-H-L) - would also like to improve; have done a little work by plan to look at it in greater detail in the future.
Problem of religious language (T-H-L) - created out of a disambiguation page and reached Featured Article status. DYK on 7 March 2012.
Kantian ethics (T-H-L) - created out of a redirect and worked with Fan Singh Long to reach Good Article status. DYK on 17 March 2012.
I am honestly afraid to look.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:00 pm

DanMurphy wrote:
lilburne wrote:

ItsZippy (T-C-L) is a 19-year old administrator. When he's not playing bannination! he's...
Irenaean theodicy (T-H-L) - expanded to Good Article status. Hope to get to Featured Article at some point in the future.
Augustinian theodicy (T-H-L) - created and brought to Featured Article status.
Privation (T-H-L) - expanded this to be more than just a definition; don't know what else I'll do here.
Ontological argument (T-H-L) - expanded to Good Article status. Still have a few improvements to make; may take to FA in the future.
Teleological argument (T-H-L) - have worked with Machine Elf 1735 in the past to expand & improve. May pick it up again later.
Prosperity theology (T-H-L) - worked on with Mark Arsten and reached Featured Article status.
Theodicy (T-H-L) - would like to improve and expand; have done a little work but not exactly sure what I intend to do yet.
Problem of evil (T-H-L) - would also like to improve; have done a little work by plan to look at it in greater detail in the future.
Problem of religious language (T-H-L) - created out of a disambiguation page and reached Featured Article status. DYK on 7 March 2012.
Kantian ethics (T-H-L) - created out of a redirect and worked with Fan Singh Long to reach Good Article status. DYK on 17 March 2012.
I am honestly afraid to look.
I think that they'd be okay, given that the GA and FA processes involve outside review.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Wer900 wrote:Peer reviews and other editorial processes are for fact-checking. Copy-editing merely improves the prose and flow of the article, although I am inclined to do a little fact-checking on the side if I deem it prudent.
I've seen copy editing introduce errors due entirely to improving the prose and flow. Peter Damian has a long list of examples where ignorant copy editing has created nonsense.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Wer900 wrote:I think that they'd be okay, given that the GA and FA processes involve outside review.
What do you mean by "outside"? I thought it was just a bunch of Wikipediots reviewing another Wikipediot's work.
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:15 pm

Wer900 wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.
Peer reviews and other editorial processes are for fact-checking. Copy-editing merely improves the prose and flow of the article, although I am inclined to do a little fact-checking on the side if I deem it prudent.
Well, in newspaper publishing, yes. Newspaper copyeditors also do what typesetters used to do because they're also involved in implementing page layouts.

Copyeditors for academic papers (i.e., publications that use references) are responsible for checking the footnotes to make sure they're citing the correct reference, and citing it correctly. It's an actual job that people have historically been trained to do and have made their profession of, as opposed to the rank amateurs giving out the grades at GA and FA.
This is not a signature.

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:53 pm

lilburne wrote:
Wer900 wrote:Peer reviews and other editorial processes are for fact-checking. Copy-editing merely improves the prose and flow of the article, although I am inclined to do a little fact-checking on the side if I deem it prudent.
I've seen copy editing introduce errors due entirely to improving the prose and flow. Peter Damian has a long list of examples where ignorant copy editing has created nonsense.
When I review articles for GA or FA I often add a "please revert me if I inadvertently guff the meaning" blurb somewhere...

Regarding fact-checking - yes it is important. Depends on how much free time I have and what I can prioritise really

Casliber
Gregarious

Unread post by Casliber » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:54 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Casliber wrote:
Hex wrote:
And just how many wikipedia articles full of turgid drivel would you have to wade through to find this uranium unicorn of literary salve?
"There is no black or white but only shades of grey (.....or brown in this case)" XD

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:58 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.
And maybe you just don't think at all, or are incapable of it beyond an elementary level.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Casliber wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Casliber wrote:
Hex wrote:
"There is no black or white but only shades of grey (.....or brown in this case)" XD
A new tagline

Wikipedia : 50 shades of brown.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:07 pm

Malleus wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.
And maybe you just don't think at all, or are incapable of it beyond an elementary level.
Eric,
We have standards for insults here.
Like any fine establishment with a dress code, we can offer to lend you a house insult if you arrive improperly prepared.

Casliber
Gregarious

Unread post by Casliber » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Casliber wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Casliber wrote:
Hex wrote:
"There is no black or white but only shades of grey (.....or brown in this case)" :XD
A new tagline

Wikipedia : 50 shades of brown.
In monobook or whatever the newer one is called...? :XD

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:25 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Malleus wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.
Eric,
Like any fine establishment with a dress code, we can offer to lend you a house insult if you arrive improperly prepared.
I have no idea why Zoloft lifted his block, but if you don't like my comportment or my dresss sense then please feel free to lock my accouint again. No skin off my nose.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:30 pm

I think that in editorial matters Casliber, Malleus, and I broadly agree. Like Carrite/RfB, we are critics of Wikipedia's operation, governance, and atmosphere, but have no wishes to tear it down to PR wars as Gregory Kohs would like.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:07 am

Malleus wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Malleus wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.
Eric,
I have no idea why Zoloft lifted his block, but if you don't like my comportment or my dress sense then please feel free to lock my account again. No skin off my nose.
I ain't gonna block you again. You fancy up the joint.
*dusts you off and stands you up near the sideboard*

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:17 am

Zoloft wrote:
Malleus wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Malleus wrote:
SB_Johnny wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:

So you claim.
Eric,
I have no idea why Zoloft lifted his block, but if you don't like my comportment or my dress sense then please feel free to lock my account again. No skin off my nose.
I ain't gonna block you again. You fancy up the joint.
*dusts you off and stands you up near the sideboard*
Like a bear that rides a tiny, tiny bicycle with while wearing a cute top hat and carrying an equally tiny umbrella.

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:52 am

Wer900 wrote:I think that in editorial matters Casliber, Malleus, and I broadly agree. Like Carrite/RfB, we are critics of Wikipedia's operation, governance, and atmosphere, but have no wishes to tear it down to PR wars as Gregory Kohs would like.
On editorial matters y'all have lost. There is more well meaning ignorance added every day then the "band of brothers" here can hope to defeat. You have no superior tactics and your fellows have been busy cutting your bowstrings, and replacing good yew with balsa.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:42 am

lilburne wrote:On editorial matters y'all have lost. There is more well meaning ignorance added every day then the "band of brothers" here can hope to defeat. You have no superior tactics and your fellows have been busy cutting your bowstrings, and replacing good yew with balsa.
Agreed, and I also point out: "content disputes" have a magical way of boiling down to :slapfight: , which Malleus can be accused of
promulgating, along with hundreds of other "content writers". Wikipedia equals juvenile name-calling and lunacy, not "content". The
"content" is there to support the name-calling.

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:18 am

EricBarbour wrote:
lilburne wrote:On editorial matters y'all have lost. There is more well meaning ignorance added every day then the "band of brothers" here can hope to defeat. You have no superior tactics and your fellows have been busy cutting your bowstrings, and replacing good yew with balsa.
Agreed, and I also point out: "content disputes" have a magical way of boiling down to :slapfight: , which Malleus can be accused of
promulgating, along with hundreds of other "content writers". Wikipedia equals juvenile name-calling and lunacy, not "content". The
You have a point of view and I have another, rather different one, which I would venture to suggest more matches the evident facts. But what do you care about facts?

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:22 am

Wer900 wrote:I think that in editorial matters Casliber, Malleus, and I broadly agree. Like Carrite/RfB, we are critics of Wikipedia's operation, governance, and atmosphere, but have no wishes to tear it down to PR wars as Gregory Kohs would like.
I believe that's the case, which is why we get so much hassle both here and on WP. Our middle ground is unacceptable to both parties.

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:52 am

Malleus wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
You have a point of view and I have another, rather different one, which I would venture to suggest more matches the evident facts. But what do you care about facts?
There isn't much name-calling I have done.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:30 am

Malleus wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:Agreed, and I also point out: "content disputes" have a magical way of boiling down to :slapfight: , which Malleus can be accused of
Thank you for verifying my point.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:04 am

EricBarbour wrote: ...I also point out: "content disputes" have a magical way of boiling down to :slapfight: , which Malleus can be accused of promulgating, along with hundreds of other "content writers". Wikipedia equals juvenile name-calling and lunacy, not "content". The "content" is there to support the name-calling.
The area of drama and controversy is a microscopic part of the whole. People can and do contribute productively with no drama for years and years and years if they want to. This does imply steering clear of hot topics. In my own case, that would mean staying away from Haymarket affair (T-H-L) while feeling free to create The Alarm (newspaper) (T-H-L) or not touching Alger Hiss (T-H-L) with a 20 foot pole while diving right into Harold Ware (T-H-L).

Certain controversial topics — generally the articles representing the highest traffic, most basic rendition of the subject — are no holds barred cage matches filled with annoying people. The same essential subject, on pages tailored to specialists and academics rather than the general public — no problem.

There should be a POV police. The current Alger Hiss brouhaha could be ended by "pairing" (to use the legislative term) the one Ludwigs2-like character on the talk page with a strong opponent like Andy the Grump and tossing both of them, leaving the rest to work things out. Problem solved. I'm not sure how to accomplish that in practice but that is what's needed.

RfB

Wer900
Gregarious

Unread post by Wer900 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:10 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
EricBarbour wrote: ...I also point out: "content disputes" have a magical way of boiling down to :slapfight: , which Malleus can be accused of promulgating, along with hundreds of other "content writers". Wikipedia equals juvenile name-calling and lunacy, not "content". The "content" is there to support the name-calling.
The area of drama and controversy is a microscopic part of the whole. People can and do contribute productively with no drama for years and years and years if they want to. This does imply steering clear of hot topics. In my own case, that would mean staying away from Haymarket affair (T-H-L) while feeling free to create The Alarm (newspaper) (T-H-L) or not touching Alger Hiss (T-H-L) with a 20 foot pole while diving right into Harold Ware (T-H-L).

Certain controversial topics — generally the articles representing the highest traffic, most basic rendition of the subject — are no holds barred cage matches filled with annoying people. The same essential subject, on pages tailored to specialists and academics rather than the general public — no problem.

There should be a POV police. The current Alger Hiss brouhaha could be ended by "pairing" (to use the legislative term) the one Ludwigs2-like character on the talk page with a strong opponent like Andy the Grump and tossing both of them, leaving the rest to work things out. Problem solved. I'm not sure how to accomplish that in practice but that is what's needed.

RfB
I did write a high-level proposal for Wikipedia reform on W:AN/I (T-H-L), but it has been largely met with derision by the admin who hatted it with snarky comments and a crop of [f|t]ools who, without reading beyond the first paragraph, rallied behind AndyTheGrump (T-C-L)'s simple, vapid "No."

lilburne
Habitué

Unread post by lilburne » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:05 am

Malleus wrote:
EricBarbour wrote:
Malleus wrote: I've never considered fact checking to be a part of copy editing.
Such a lack of self awareness.

Randy from Boise wrote: The area of drama and controversy is a microscopic part of the whole. People can and do contribute productively with no drama for years and years and years if they want to.
It doesn't matter. The site is so toxic with bitch fighting that it is leaking out into the press. The content is in many areas dire, and there is no guarantee that even the articles you write will be in any acceptable state at the point that some sap loads the page.

The person that was making a lot of changes to the Battle of Crecy article the other year was working from a base that was heavily influenced by Froissart, who wikipedia insists on calling French, and the addition of a whole bunch of nonsense gawd only knows where it came from. The current article is much better and the person that worked on it did a valiant job but not all of the base idiocy has been removed. Indeed I was listing to a podcast the other day which was repeating a load of the earlier nonsense.

lonza leggiera
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: David J Wilson (no longer active); Freda Nurk
Wikipedia Review Member: lonza leggiera
Actual Name: David Wilson

Unread post by lonza leggiera » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:38 am

lilburne wrote:
dogbiscuit wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:
Malleus wrote:
lilburne wrote:
Malleus wrote: ...

So you claim.

He grabbed most of it from two journal articles written in the 1920s. Whether the source had mistaken Richard II for Edward III, or Keys got his date wrong is any one's guess.
Come on! Of course it was Keyes misinterpreting his source (although it was the reigning king rather than the date that he got wrong):
William Carne in Virginia Law Register wrote:About the middle of the 14th century (1345, 19 Edw. III), the Chancellor comes to be regarded as the head of the council, and petitions come to be addressed directly to him: "Al Chaunceleret as autres Seigneurs diuCounsail notre Seigneur le Roy." This fact seems to show that the Chancellor had come to act without delegation from the council. Under Richard II it became the settled practice and marks a stage in the separation of the Chancery from the Council.
E voi, piuttosto che le nostre povere gabbane d'istrioni, le nostr' anime considerate. Perchè siam uomini di carne ed ossa, e di quest' orfano mondo, al pari di voi, spiriamo l'aere.

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:35 pm

lilburne wrote:
Malleus wrote: I've never considered fact checking to be a part of copy editing.
Such a lack of self awareness.
Such a lack of common sense.

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:07 pm

:slapfight:
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:46 am

There is a proposal for a bureaucrat-led desysop process at Wikipedia's Village Pump. It arose from the recent discussions at the bureaucrats' noticeboard, where there is also a related bureaucrat poll.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:09 am

HRIP7 wrote:There is a proposal for a bureaucrat-led desysop process at Wikipedia's Village Pump. It arose from the recent discussions at the bureaucrats' noticeboard, where there is also a related bureaucrat poll.
Wiki is totally dysfunctional, far worse than before. That's why this is needed. Hopefully crats will step up to the plate, because arbcom sure isn't. PumpkinSky talk 23:15, 13 July 2013 (UTC)
:lmao: Partly because of you, Randy......

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:07 am

HRIP7 wrote:There is a proposal for a bureaucrat-led desysop process at Wikipedia's Village Pump. It arose from the recent discussions at the bureaucrats' noticeboard, where there is also a related bureaucrat poll.
On the whole, and with the odd notable exception, bureaucrats tend to be relatively sane. I'd say any bureaucrat-led process can't be worse than the present [lack of] system. And if bureaucrats lose their rename powers, they have to be given something else to do.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Hex wrote:Talking of Bishonen (T-C-L),

- Bishzilla (T-C-L)
- Bishapod (T-C-L)
- Darwinfish (T-C-L)
- Darwinbish (T-C-L)
- Little Stupid (T-C-L)
- Cassandra at the peak of her insanity (T-C-L)

This is one of the people entrusted to "administer" the people who can alter the first page of Google results for any topic (commonly referred to as "Wikipedians"). Aren't we lucky.
Bishonen has done a lot of work and should be allowed her in jokes, which don't harm anybody and amuse many.

An encyclopedia should welcome intellectuals whose personalities were not stamped-out of a cookie cutter.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:25 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Zoloft wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
The Devil's Advocate wrote:Bishonen (T-C-L) is talking about getting in on the exodus as well. :popcorn:
Good.
I hope she get's hit by a bus.
Watch your apostrophes now. Oh, and the *waves* faux bodily harm thing too.
Damn.
Foiled by the grammar Nazis.

I'm really, really tired from five hours of dirty construction work for a worthy cause.

Now, if I'd said, "I hope I get to run her over with my bus!", I'd be a shoe-in for a WMF contract.
Bishonen hasn't abused her tools. In fact, she is likely to think and write before blocking, which means that she doesn't block much.

Violent images can only hurt the reputation of Wikipediocracy.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:55 pm

Kiefer.Wolfowitz wrote: An encyclopedia should welcome intellectuals whose personalities were not stamped-out of a cookie cutter.
And people who enjoy spending their time engaging in puerile (and not a little creepy) play-acting as well, evidently. Well, if that's your bag, go have fun doing it.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)