Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Anthonyhcole
Habitué
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Anthonyhcole

Admin resignations

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Boing! said Zebedee
I finally no longer wish to be part of what is becoming an increasingly tainted category of users. ... The core problem is that the Wikipedia power structure is fundamentally flawed, and while neither WMF nor Arbcom will do anything about it (the latter repeatedly refuses to do anything about blatantly-unsuitable admins), we'll just keep on repeating the same fights over and over again - and I'm not prepared to do that any more.
Drmies
I'll have whatever Boing is having.
after both argued passionately against Fram's one month block of Eric Corbett, and Eric's request to have the block made indefinite.

Tarc
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Tarc

Re: Admin resignations

Unread post by Tarc » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 pm

I'm sorry, but this is as much of the problem here as anything else, Malleus is such a drama-mongering cunt it's unbelievable. I don't think he should've been blocked either but for fuck's sake every time he is, he does this Scarlett O'Hara refusing-to-eat-her-vittles shtick, because now we have to feel sorry for poor, poor him when he says he's gonna quit.

And never does.
"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

Anthonyhcole
Habitué

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:28 pm

Tarc wrote:I don't think he should've been blocked
I supported the block, for his treatment of relatively new editor Inglok on his talk page and his treatment of Timeshifter on a project page. We don't need that.

And yes, it's another in a long line of diva flounces on Eric's part. I'm sorry to see him go (if this one is for real) but I'd rather he goes than stays behaving like that.
Last edited by Anthonyhcole on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jd turk
Contributor
Wikipedia Review Member: jd turk

Unread post by jd turk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:42 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:I supported the block, for his treatment of relatively new editor Inglok on his talk page and his treatment of Timeshifter on a project page. We don't need that.
Wikipedia doesn't need good writers, it just needs contributors. Sure, they pretend to value FA's and the like, but what they really need is people who buy in to the social aspects of the site to keep it going. Supposedly, Malleus is a very good writer (never cared enough to examine it, honestly). Is it worth it to keep him around to prop up some FAs, while he simultaneously drives away new editors who want to be in the club? Especially if there's a chance of getting a) work, and b) money from them?

It's a dysfunctional relationship on all sides, really. I don't understand why they keep him around, nor do I understand why he wants to do all this writing for free.

Anthonyhcole
Habitué

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:47 pm

jd turk wrote:Wikipedia doesn't need good writers, it just needs contributors.
Wikipedia does need good writers and tireless, generous contributors like Eric. It really is a shame to see him go. But, in my opinion, he can't stay while he treats others with such disrespect.

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:
Wikipedia does need good writers and tireless, generous contributors like Eric. It really is a shame to see him go. But, in my opinion, he can't stay while he treats others with such disrespect.
Perhaps the same social-networking crowd that decided to unnecessarily offend an entire religion with flimsy encyclopedic purpose, the same crowd that harangues good content contributors (Viriditas (T-C-L) being the latest whipping-post) on AN/I, and the same crowd that subverts the purpose of ArbCom for advantage over other users should learn a little about "respect".
Obvious civility robots are obvious

Anthonyhcole
Habitué

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Wer900 wrote:Perhaps the same social-networking crowd that decided to unnecessarily offend an entire religion with flimsy encyclopedic purpose, the same crowd that harangues good content contributors (Viriditas (T-C-L) being the latest whipping-post) on AN/I, and the same crowd that subverts the purpose of ArbCom for advantage over other users should learn a little about "respect".
Of course.

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:12 pm

The main reason people like Eric are needed on Wikipedia is that he brings articles up to a finished, quality level. Without the few editors like him, Wikipedia's high-profile articles never reach that level.

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

jd turk
Contributor

Unread post by jd turk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Zoloft wrote:The main reason people like Eric are needed on Wikipedia is that he brings articles up to a finished, quality level. Without the few editors like him, Wikipedia's high-profile articles never reach that level.
Sure. But again, who cares? When people go to WP they're looking for an article on something. All most people care about is that the article they want at that moment is adequate. It would be nice if the articles are all FA quality, and free of bias, and factually correct, and a lot of other things that quite honestly make me giggle to type. But in the end, there's a lot more chaos than there is high quality writing, and that's the way the system is set up.

I just don't see why people who can write and are "tireless, generous contributors" do it, especially once they've seen how little respect WP actually has for them.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:27 pm

jd turk wrote:
Zoloft wrote:The main reason people like Eric are needed on Wikipedia is that he brings articles up to a finished, quality level. Without the few editors like him, Wikipedia's high-profile articles never reach that level.
Sure. But again, who cares? When people go to WP they're looking for an article on something. All most people care about is that the article they want at that moment is adequate. It would be nice if the articles are all FA quality, and free of bias, and factually correct, and a lot of other things that quite honestly make me giggle to type. But in the end, there's a lot more chaos than there is high quality writing, and that's the way the system is set up.

I just don't see why people who can write and are "tireless, generous contributors" do it, especially once they've seen how little respect WP actually has for them.
Readers don't give a flying fuck about FA/GA status.
It's internal wiki-masturbation and counting coup.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:28 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:Boing! said Zebedee
I finally no longer wish to be part of what is becoming an increasingly tainted category of users. ... The core problem is that the Wikipedia power structure is fundamentally flawed, and while neither WMF nor Arbcom will do anything about it (the latter repeatedly refuses to do anything about blatantly-unsuitable admins), we'll just keep on repeating the same fights over and over again - and I'm not prepared to do that any more.
Drmies
I'll have whatever Boing is having.
after both argued passionately against Fram's one month block of Eric Corbett, and Eric's request to have the block made indefinite.
Power to both of them!

RfB

Malleus
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Wikipedia Review Member: Malleus

Unread post by Malleus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:30 pm

jd turk wrote: I just don't see why people who can write and are "tireless, generous contributors" do it, especially once they've seen how little respect WP actually has for them.
Neither can I.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Vigilant wrote: Readers don't give a flying fuck about FA/GA status.
+1

RfB

jd turk
Contributor

Unread post by jd turk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Malleus wrote:
jd turk wrote: I just don't see why people who can write and are "tireless, generous contributors" do it, especially once they've seen how little respect WP actually has for them.
Neither can I.
Glad to have you on board, Malleus.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:33 pm

Malleus wrote:
Neither can I.
It's good practice if you're between jobs in the PR industry...? :shrug:

jd turk
Contributor

Unread post by jd turk » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:35 pm

Vigilant wrote:Readers don't give a flying fuck about FA/GA status.
Exactly.

"I've written twenty Featured Articles for one of the top websites in the world!"

"Really? Cool. Now can I have my fries, please?"

Hex
Retired
Wikipedia User: Scott

Unread post by Hex » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm pretty sure that the massive majority of readers have no interest in Wikipedia at all beyond quickly getting the information they want from articles.
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:50 pm

I think anyone who chooses to be called Boing! said Zebedee should be disqualified from holding any positions of power. Likewise for Fluffernutter, Beeblebrox, etc.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:46 pm

Split head-conking to here: link

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Bishonen (T-C-L) is talking about getting in on the exodus as well. :popcorn:

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Wer900
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Wer900

Unread post by Wer900 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:37 am

Hex wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the massive majority of readers have no interest in Wikipedia at all beyond quickly getting the information they want from articles.
It's good if he information is accurate and well-presented, right? Many articles except GAs and FAs are hacked together and do not give proper context. Word hodgepodges do not a useful reference work make.
Obvious civility robots are obvious

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:44 am

jd turk wrote:
Anthonyhcole wrote:I supported the block, for his treatment of relatively new editor Inglok on his talk page and his treatment of Timeshifter on a project page. We don't need that.
Wikipedia doesn't need good writers, it just needs contributors. Sure, they pretend to value FA's and the like, but what they really need is people who buy in to the social aspects of the site to keep it going. Supposedly, Malleus is a very good writer (never cared enough to examine it, honestly). Is it worth it to keep him around to prop up some FAs, while he simultaneously drives away new editors who want to be in the club? Especially if there's a chance of getting a) work, and b) money from them?

It's a dysfunctional relationship on all sides, really. I don't understand why they keep him around, nor do I understand why he wants to do all this writing for free.
You may say Wikipedia doesn't need good writers, only contributors. But it's also a question of what level of competence you want to set as a minimum standard for participation, and what sort of average capability you want to strive for on something purporting to be an encyclopedia project.

Inglok can't write idiomatic English. Malleus can. So now Wikipedia is left with Inglok, and Malleus is gone. Not exactly a win, is it? Judging by that edit Malleus reverted, Inglok shouldn't go round doing copyediting. He lacks the skill to do it, and just ends up degrading things that were fine before. If Inglok wants to get into a pissing contest about something like that with someone who can write, he is a net negative.

A good proportion of the cases where Malleus was rude to someone were much like that. Wikipedia doesn't select for ability, but for civility, because ability is harder to recognise for those who don't have it. So they end up with a lot of superficially polite people who can't write, and whose reading and research skills are probably not too brilliant either.

DanMurphy
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Dan Murphy
Wikipedia Review Member: DanMurphy

Unread post by DanMurphy » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:52 am

HRIP7 wrote:
jd turk wrote:

You may say Wikipedia doesn't need good writers, only contributors. But it's also a question of what level of competence you want to set as a minimum standard for participation, and what sort of average capability you want to strive for on something purporting to be an encyclopedia project.

Inglok can't write idiomatic English. Malleus can. So now Wikipedia is left with Inglok, and Malleus is gone. Not exactly a win, is it? Judging by that edit Malleus reverted, Inglok shouldn't go round doing copyediting. He lacks the skill to do it, and just ends up degrading things that were fine before. If Inglok wants to get into a pissing contest about something like that with someone who can write, he is a net negative.

A good proportion of the cases where Malleus was rude to someone were much like that. Wikipedia doesn't select for ability, but for civility, because ability is harder to recognise for those who don't have it. So they end up with a lot of superficially polite people who can't write, and whose reading and research skills are probably not too brilliant either.
Yes. All that and Dunning-Kruger too.

jd turk
Contributor

Unread post by jd turk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:54 am

HRIP7 wrote:You may say Wikipedia doesn't need good writers, only contributors. But it's also a question of what level of competence you want to set as a minimum standard for participation, and what sort of average capability you want to strive for on something purporting to be an encyclopedia project.

Inglok's not a good case here because he obviously shouldn't be writing copy, but there are still plenty of other things WP could be using him for (including possibly soaking up donations). You can try and work him somewhere else where he can be of use, or you can call him an asshole and try and run him off yourself.

For the most part, people who can't write don't know they can't write. I'd have to think there's a better way to encourage a volunteer to be productive than by calling him an asshole.

For example, YouReallyCan was an atrocious writer, but he had lots of friends and defenders because he worked in an area where no one else wanted to.

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:58 am

HRIP7 wrote:
jd turk wrote:

I think Wikipedia has to be left to the children now. A pity, because I once did really believe in the idea.
Last edited by Malleus on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

jd turk
Contributor

Unread post by jd turk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:00 am

Malleus wrote:I think Wikipdia has to be left to the childen now. A pity, because I once did really believe in the idea.
The "idea" is that you take your skills and donate them for free to a system that profits from you and refuses to even acknowledge your gifts. That way people who don't have a tenth of your ability or knowledge can point to what you created and say, "I did that."

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:01 am

DanMurphy wrote:
HRIP7 wrote:Yes. All that and Dunning-Kruger too.
A sort of Gresham's Law (T-H-L) applies.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:09 am

jd turk wrote:
Malleus wrote:I think Wikipdia has to be left to the childen now. A pity, because I once did really believe in the idea.
The "idea" is that you take your skills and donate them for free to a system that profits from you and refuses to even acknowledge your gifts. That way people who don't have a tenth of your ability or knowledge can point to what you created and say, "I did that."
I'm not in the mood to argue with that, but there was a time when i thought there was nobler purpose behind all the hard work. Obviously I was wrong.

jd turk
Contributor

Unread post by jd turk » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:13 am

Malleus wrote:
jd turk wrote:
I'm not in the mood to argue with that, but there was a time when i thought there was nobler purpose behind all the hard work. Obviously I was wrong.
No sin in it. I'm pretty sure most of the people who are on this board felt that way at one time (not counting the ones who made cash at it, who were the smart ones). You live, you learn, you realize you're wasting time and you move on. Such is life.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:55 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:Bishonen (T-C-L) is talking about getting in on the exodus as well. :popcorn:
Good.
I hope she get's hit by a bus.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Zoloft
Trustee

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:59 am

Vigilant wrote:
The Devil's Advocate wrote:Bishonen (T-C-L) is talking about getting in on the exodus as well. :popcorn:
Good.
Watch your apostrophes now. Oh, and the *waves* faux bodily harm thing too.

• Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:22 am

Zoloft wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
Good.
Watch your apostrophes now. Oh, and the *waves* faux bodily harm thing too.
Damn.
Foiled by the grammar Nazis.

I'm really, really tired from five hours of dirty construction work for a worthy cause.

Now, if I'd said, "I hope I get to run her over with my bus!", I'd be a shoe-in for a WMF contract.

Volunteer Marek
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Volunteer Marek

Unread post by Volunteer Marek » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:18 am

HRIP7 wrote:
jd turk wrote:

Mmmm. I wouldn't say that Inglot "can't write idiomatic English", or that the copy edits are particularly bad. Most of them appear to be just fine and at least some are quite legit (example http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =560583368). The "the" thing in that edit might be just American vs. British usage (Americans tend to over use it). The corrections weren't wrong, though I guess they can upset someone's particular sense of aesthetics.

Anthonyhcole
Habitué

Unread post by Anthonyhcole » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:51 am

HRIP7 wrote:Inglok can't write idiomatic English. Malleus can. So now Wikipedia is left with Inglok, and Malleus is gone. Not exactly a win, is it?
Inglok's "the" was redundant. And it must be immensely frustrating when someone demands you explain why the "the" is wrong. Still, there's no call for that kind of abuse, Eric.
HRIP7 wrote:A good proportion of the cases where Malleus was rude to someone were much like that.
True. That's been the problem all along. His abuse is mostly directed at irritating well-meaning idiots or truly toxic people, and it's very hard to condemn him for it. If he limited it to the truly toxic and those who know him and can give it back (and kept it off article and project space - where people are trying to work) I wouldn't care.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 pm

How telling that the moment that some admins choose to throw their toys out of the pram is when it appears that some real action is finally going to be taken against one of the worst nuisances on the project. Where have all these fine words and stands taken on principle been until now? Could it be that the members of their special buddy club matter more to them than Joe/Jane Average Editor, perhaps?
:tinyviolin:
My question, to this esteemed Wiki community, is this: Do you think that a Wiki could successfully generate a useful encyclopedia? -- JimboWales
Yes, but in the end it wouldn't be an encyclopedia. It would be a wiki. -- WardCunningham (Jan 2001)

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:53 pm

Hex wrote:How telling that the moment that some admins choose to throw their toys out of the pram is when it appears that some real action is finally going to be taken against one of the worst nuisances on the project. Where have all these fine words and stands taken on principle been until now? Could it be that the members of their special buddy club matter more to them than Joe/Jane Average Editor, perhaps?
:tinyviolin:
Assuming that you're talking about me, what action is about to be taken? Do you simply not understand the way that verb tenses work, or are you privy to some scheme being hatched up in one of your disgusting IRC channels?

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:37 pm

Tarc wrote:I'm sorry, but this is as much of the problem here as anything else, Malleus is such a drama-mongering cunt it's unbelievable.
The heat is getting to people and making them grumpy. This place needs better air-conditioning!
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:52 pm

Malleus wrote:Assuming that you're talking about me, what action is about to be taken?
Maybe he's referring to the "Visual Editor," and the "nuisance" is just the fact that people have been forced to learn WikiML until now...? Mr. Martin hasn't shown too many serious problems with verb tense in the past. :unsure:
Mr. Past, Mr. Present, and Mr. Future were sitting together in a bar, having a drink. Soon, however, they got into an argument, though they couldn't agree on the subject. In the end there was no violence, but there was definitely a lot of tense.

SB_Johnny
Habitué
Wikipedia User: SB_Johnny
Wikipedia Review Member: SB_Johnny

Unread post by SB_Johnny » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:41 pm

Malleus wrote:
Hex wrote:How telling that the moment that some admins choose to throw their toys out of the pram is when it appears that some real action is finally going to be taken against one of the worst nuisances on the project. Where have all these fine words and stands taken on principle been until now? Could it be that the members of their special buddy club matter more to them than Joe/Jane Average Editor, perhaps?
Assuming that you're talking about me, what action is about to be taken? Do you simply not understand the way that verb tenses work, or are you privy to some scheme being hatched up in one of your disgusting IRC channels?
If he is talking about you, I'm going to have to re-evaluate my opinion of him. I did that in regards to you a week or so ago, and now feel free to hold you in low esteem.
This is not a signature.

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 pm

SB_Johnny wrote:
Malleus wrote:
If he is talking about you, I'm going to have to re-evaluate my opinion of him. I did that in regards to you a week or so ago, and now feel free to hold you in low esteem.
That you might even consider that I give a rat's arse about the esteem you hold me in, or that I hold you in, is rather a surprise. And for the sake of those who are slow of understanding "low" doesn't even get close.

Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz

Unread post by Kiefer.Wolfowitz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Malleus wrote:I think Wikipedia has to be left to the children now. A pity, because I once did really believe in the idea.
Wikipedia needs to require children to have parental consent before they can edit, which seems to be required by U.S. law (see my comment on the ArbCom case for links). This would reduce exploitation and risk.

A side effect would be reducing the "editors" in half without removing any writers.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
You run into assholes all day; you're the asshole.

TungstenCarbide
Habitué
Wikipedia User: TungstenCarbide
Wikipedia Review Member: TungstenCarbide

Unread post by TungstenCarbide » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Malleus wrote:I think Wikipedia has to be left to the children now. A pity, because I once did really believe in the idea.
It is a good idea, mostly. Some of the problems that need fixing are; toxic culture, no merit based leadership, no quality or release system, Google juice short circuiting potential competition that would otherwise help the concept evolve and improve. A lot of the problems we discuss here in detail are a consequence of these.
Gone hiking. also, beware of women with crazy head gear and a dagger.

EricBarbour

Unread post by EricBarbour » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:55 pm

How charming, that Mr. Cole is bringing up his pathetically failed attempt to desysop Hex, back in January,
and using it as an "example" to justify dumping "problem admins" on Arbcom.

In the past, Arbcom has shown a repeated, determined unwillingness and inability to deal with "problem admins".
Asking them to "take command" again is not merely fruitless, it is outright idiocy.

Malleus
Habitué

Unread post by Malleus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:03 pm

EricBarbour wrote:How charming, that Mr. Cole is bringing up his pathetically failed attempt to desysop Hex, back in January,
and using it as an "example" to justify dumping "problem admins" on Arbcom.

In the past, Arbcom has shown a repeated, determined unwillingness and inability to deal with "problem admins".
Asking them to "take command" again is not merely fruitless, it is outright idiocy.
It is indeed.

HRIP7
Denizen
Wikipedia User: Jayen466
Wikipedia Review Member: HRIP7
Actual Name: Andreas Kolbe

Unread post by HRIP7 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Volunteer Marek wrote:Mmmm. I wouldn't say that Inglot "can't write idiomatic English", or that the copy edits are particularly bad. Most of them appear to be just fine and at least some are quite legit (example http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... =560583368).
Fair enough. Having now clicked through a dozen other copy edits by Inglok (and done my bit to keep Wikipedia at no. 7 on Alexa ... 7? When did it drop?), I didn't see any more that were problematic.

Hex
Retired

Unread post by Hex » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:19 pm

Talking of Bishonen (T-C-L),

- Bishzilla (T-C-L)
- Bishapod (T-C-L)
- Darwinfish (T-C-L)
- Darwinbish (T-C-L)
- Little Stupid (T-C-L)
- Cassandra at the peak of her insanity (T-C-L)

This is one of the people entrusted to "administer" the people who can alter the first page of Google results for any topic (commonly referred to as "Wikipedians"). Aren't we lucky.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:55 pm

I know he's not an admin, but did anyone notice Volunteer Marek's quiet exit?
Volunteer Marek wrote:Contaminated

It's dying anyway.

eppur si muove
Habitué

Unread post by eppur si muove » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:59 pm

Smiley wrote:I know he's not an admin, but did anyone notice Volunteer Marek's quiet exit?
Volunteer Marek wrote:Contaminated

It's dying anyway.
Hm. We need to give it some time before taking this as an exit. He's left here at least once and reappeared.

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:05 pm

Anthonyhcole wrote:
Anthony, have you scrolled up through Eric's talk page and looked through the history? Before the last kerfuffle there are loads of constructive article-related discussion, help with writing and copyediting articles all over the place. Does this look like a net negative? Really?

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:10 pm

Hex wrote:
Succinct, clear writing can be a joy to read (and a great way to make knowledge interesting), and anyone who facilitates this is highly worthwhile. The world's media is full of enough turgid drivel as it is, some of which seems to have the goal of driving off rather than engaging the reader......