Poetlister
Genius
kołdry
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Movement Charter Drafting Committee elections are now open

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:58 am

Voting for the election for the members for the Movement Charter drafting
committee is now open. In total, 70 Wikimedians from around the world are
running for seven seats in these elections.

As recommended by the Movement Strategy recommendations, the goal is to
assemble a Drafting Committee that will draft a Movement Charter to ensure
a common framework for decision making in the Wikimedia movement
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Strateg ... ion-making>.
The committee will consist of 15 members in total: The online communities
vote for 7 members, 6 members will be selected by the Wikimedia affiliates
through a parallel process, and 2 members will be appointed by the
Wikimedia Foundation. The plan is to assemble the committee by November 1,

Voting is open from October 12 10:00 UTC to October 24, 2021 23:59 (Anywhere
on Earth <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anywhere_on_Earth>).
Yet another distinctly pointless activity, I suspect. :hrmph:
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

The Adversary
Habitué

Re: Movement Charter Drafting Committee elections are now open

Unread post by The Adversary » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 am

Yeah, I kind of wonder how much power such a group will get? If they come up with something WMF-insiders don't like, will it be nicely filed in a shelf somewhere?

Looking at the Candidates: lots of unknowns, from outside Western Europe/North America. A few "old-timers", off course (Risker, Guardetta, Harej), but those who say they are "Wikimedian since: 2020", or 2021; will not impress many, I suspect.

Is there any reason we should bother voting here?

Silent Editor
Regular
Wikipedia Review Member: Silent Editor

Unread post by Silent Editor » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:45 am

The Adversary wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:31 am
A voted purely for the fleeting joy of not voting for several of them.

WikiWatcher
Contributor

Unread post by WikiWatcher » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm

It's a bit confusing trying to work out whether the two former WMF Board members standing are standing as "WMF-approved" candidates, or whether it's just a sign that not even the WMF Board has a coherent view of what the WMF should do.

But you can always vote for whoever you think is likely to do a good job of whatever kind of WMF-reform this ends up as.

Or, you can deliberately vote for whoever will do the most disastrous job so that the whole edifice collapses sooner rather than later. :deadhorse:

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:14 pm

WikiWatcher wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm
It's a bit confusing trying to work out whether the two former WMF Board members standing are standing as "WMF-approved" candidates, or whether it's just a sign that not even the WMF Board has a coherent view of what the WMF should do.

But you can always vote for whoever you think is likely to do a good job of whatever kind of WMF-reform this ends up as.

Or, you can deliberately vote for whoever will do the most disastrous job so that the whole edifice collapses sooner rather than later. :deadhorse:
The trick is to guess who can draft something that the WMF will accept but would be damaging to Wikipedia in the long term. I don't know if that could be done except by a very clever person who knows how the WMF ticks.

WikiWatcher
Contributor

Unread post by WikiWatcher » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:39 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:14 pm
The trick is to guess who can draft something that the WMF will accept but would be damaging to Wikipedia in the long term. I don't know if that could be done except by a very clever person who knows how the WMF ticks.
Wikipediocracy clearly missed a trick by not holding an open primary for the Wikipediocracy nomination. :dubious:

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:33 pm

I found it a little overwhelming to sort through ~70 candidates and rank them in order. I suspect most voters will do what I did, look for names they recognize as belonging to reasonably sane people and vote for them.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:41 pm

Why would you want to have an election for the Movement Charter drafting committee in the first place?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:32 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:33 pm
I found it a little overwhelming to sort through ~70 candidates and rank them in order. I suspect most voters will do what I did, look for names they recognize as belonging to reasonably sane people and vote for them.
No, I looked for statements that I recognized as being reasonably sane:
James Hare wrote:I have been a part of Wikimedia for way too long. I remember when Wikipedia was a radical experiment that no one took seriously. We proceeded anyway. Fast forward twenty years and Wikipedia is now looked upon as one of the last bastions of reliable nonpartisan information. I consider this to be a massive failure of the part of our society to take this kind of work seriously as a priority, but also a testament to the strength and resilience of Wikimedia's movement. One that is built organically around a common belief around the importance of sharing information. One where you do not need to formally join an association in order to participate.
With the movement charter we are presented a challenge to develop a governance framework for the Wikimedia movement. A decentralized movement which has, historically, resisted most forms of consolidation and imposition of hierarchy. This is a feature of our movement, not a flaw. But without a formally recognized institution like the Global Council, we are left with various scattered power structures that favor the well-organized and well-resourced. In practice this leaves volunteers feeling like they have no control over what the Wikimedia Foundation does even as the Foundation spends millions of dollars improving its community relations. The system may somewhat work but the belief will persist that it doesn’t.

If the movement charter drafting committee is successful, it will create a new polity that has been sorely missing: the organized counter-voice to the Wikimedia Foundation. Even with the best intentions, the current arrangement, with a few large organizations and many poorly organized volunteer communities, will inevitably produce conflict. There are sincere disagreements over what should be prioritized and why, and given how spending power is allocated, people will perceive the process to be unfair. And I honestly don’t think corporate hierarchies like the Foundation’s scale well to movements like ours; this is reflected in the velocity at which the Wikimedia Foundation makes improvements to the projects.

I consider these the top three priorities for the movement charter:
  • Build legitimacy in the process and institution by establishing clear and explicit power arrangements;
  • Empower the everyday and occasional Wikimedians to have say in the decisions made by movement-funded actors;
  • Help movement-funded organizations like the Wikimedia Foundation scale management and oversight of their work to the hundreds of language communities, sister projects, affiliates, and so on.
Ad Huikeshoven wrote:Imagine a world in which all editors of Wikimedia projects are happy, and have found balance in their lives. The reality here and now is different. You are addicted to editing one or more of the Wikimedia projects. It's not your fault nor are you to blame that you're addicted: it's quieting the pain of a childhood trauma.
The Wikimedia Foundation shamelessly exploits the fruits of your unpaid volunteerism. You put so much time into it that it comes at the expense of caring for your family, your friends, your job or your school. In case you are financially independent or retired, you are free to spend all your time as you wish - if you do not forget to drink, eat and sleep on time. As long as you are not yet financially independent, you could expect the Wikimedia movement to look after you and provide guidance and support where you need it most.

The Charter for the Wikimedia Movement is the place to establish the rights of unpaid volunteers. I want to work to ensure that locally, in all countries, there is professional support for local volunteers in their own language, which meets the local needs of those volunteers. This includes translation to (and from) local languages of (news) reports about the Wikimedia projects, localization of templates and gadgets, organization of community activities, and what you need to become happy, and find balance in your life.

My intention is to contribute to the drafting of a text that will be endorsed by the communities. This, I believe, will need to be an iterative process of community consultation. The committee will produce texts in several rounds and gather feedback from the communities - and other stakeholders. I will work to ensure that it will be an open consultation process based on making consent decisions. In the feedback rounds, anyone may object to parts of the text. For the Charter to eventually be ratified, the committee must have resolved any insurmountable objections before anyone is asked to ratify the text.
Yair Rand wrote:A major goal of the Charter is to "clearly define roles and responsibilities", set boundaries, and define what we're doing and how we do it. It is essential for the future functioning of the projects and supporting organizations, that we create ironclad safeguards against overreach by our institutions, firmly anchor long-standing principles and goals, and establish a solid and effective framework for how the various high-level processes and parts of Wikimedia interact with each other.
The new framework should unambiguously specify responsibilities and authorities, minimize conflict, and allow everyone to get on with their work. The Charter should organize structures to enable projects and groups to receive needed support, while protecting them from inappropriate interference. As expressed in the Strategy Recommendations, all of Wikimedia's supporting organizations should be bound by enforceable basic requirements, and certain structures should be distributed and decentralized.

I would like the creation of the Charter to be an open and participatory process, involving many volunteers directly editing numerous Charter drafts around Wikimedia, moving forward in a wiki-style manner, our many communities and groups cross-pollinating texts and ideas and arguments and points of discussion, and gradually converging towards coherent results with the assistance of the drafting committee.

Whatever the method, the final outcome must be subject to community-wide ratification. Wikimedia is built by the volunteer community; it is the community that must decide whether to go forward with the Charter.
Anne Clin (Risker) wrote:I firmly believe that the individual projects – the Wikipedias, Commons, WIkidata, Wikisource, and the many other “sister” projects – are the centerpiece of the movement, and the movement infrastructure must be designed to help these projects to grow and develop in a healthy way. I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of any Wikimedia affiliate organization; nonetheless, my work on the FDC and the 2030 strategy project has inculcated a deep and abiding respect for these organizations and their value to the movement as a whole, as they are important aspects of the project support infrastructure.
Those are my four. I found no compelling reason to vote for anyone else.
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

No Ledge
Habitué
Wikipedia User: wbm1058

Unread post by No Ledge » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:41 pm

The Adversary wrote:
Yeah, I kind of wonder how much power such a group will get? If they come up with something WMF-insiders don't like, will it be nicely filed in a shelf somewhere?

Looking at the Candidates: lots of unknowns, from outside Western Europe/North America. A few "old-timers", off course (Risker, Guardetta, Harej), but those who say they are "Wikimedian since: 2020", or 2021; will not impress many, I suspect.

Guardetta?? Who's that? Is that a typo?
No coffee? OK, then maybe just a little appreciation for my work out here?

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:48 pm

No Ledge wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:41 pm
The Adversary wrote:

Guardetta?? Who's that? Is that a typo?
Ian Ramjohn (Guettarda) I guess.

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Guettarda

Guerillero
Contributor
Wikipedia User: Guerillero

Unread post by Guerillero » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:04 pm

If you bypass my map, I listed my votes on my substack as the B-story on Thursday

https://fish.substack.com/p/detailed-map-of-europe

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:32 pm

The results of the election: 1018 participants voted to elect seven members to the committee:

* Richard Knipel (Pharos)
* Anne Clin (Risker)
* Alice Wiegand (Lyzzy)
* Michał Buczyński (Aegis Maelstrom)
* Richard (Nosebagbear)
* Ciell (Ciell)
* Ravan J Al-Taie (Ravan)

The affiliate process has selected six members:

* Anass Sedrati (Anass Sedrati)
* Érica Azzellini (EricaAzzellini)
* Jamie Li-Yun Lin (Li-Yun Lin)
* Georges Fodouop (Geugeor)
* Manavpreet Kaur (Manavpreet Kaur)
* Pepe Flores (Padaguan)

The Wikimedia Foundation has appointed two members:

* Runa Bhattacharjee (Runab WMF)
* Jorge Vargas (JVargas WMF)

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:57 pm

A committee of 15?

I look forward to the camels.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:00 pm

Ryuichi wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:57 pm
A committee of 15?

The key decisions will be taken behind the scenes by the two WMF appointees and a couple of pro-WMF members.

Ryuichi
Gregarious

Unread post by Ryuichi » Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:00 am

Poetlister wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:00 pm
Ryuichi wrote:
The key decisions will be taken behind the scenes by the two WMF appointees and a couple of pro-WMF members.
I look forward to a camel, with a peacock's tail, and the face of a rhino.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:33 am

Ryuichi wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:00 am
Poetlister wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:00 pm
Ryuichi wrote:
I look forward to a camel, with a peacock's tail, and the face of a rhino.
I can show you something similar. :)
b7d7a135e4a1ce9960bfc3459683fc63.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thekohser
Majordomo
Wikipedia User: Thekohser
Wikipedia Review Member: thekohser
Actual Name: Gregory Kohs

Unread post by thekohser » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:37 pm

But who will FACILITATE it all?

It's an opportunity of a lifetime, and who doesn't love a 2-hour Sunday meeting, every other week?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nY9wve ... AW6Kp/view
"...making nonsensical connections and culminating in feigned surprise, since 2006..."

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:56 pm

thekohser wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:37 pm
But who will FACILITATE it all?

It's an opportunity of a lifetime, and who doesn't love a 2-hour Sunday meeting, every other week?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nY9wve ... AW6Kp/view
Purpose

Deliver facilitation for the Wikimedia Movement Charter Drafting Committee meetings to ensure
constructive conversations that pay attention to the diversity of perspectives, support equitable
participation across the whole group, and facilitate decision making to make progress. The focus will
be on advancing the work related to drafting of the Charter. The vendor is expected to work directly
with the committee to prepare and deliver the meetings.
Do they provide a truck to deliver the facilitation on, or does the vendor have to provide their own transport?