kołdry

RFA - Greenman

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:58 pm

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Re: RFA - Greenman

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:24 pm

He'll probably get in. Heck, I've never even heard of him - that's usually a pretty good indicator right there.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:23 am

Nominated by Leftcentreright (T-C-L), who is not himself an admin but as far as I know is a good solid contributor on matters regarding South Africa. So far, 16/1/1 with this oppose from Lourdes (T-C-L):
Oppose CoI editing is strongly discouraged on Wikipedia. Irrespective of whether his edits are acceptable or not, his continuing engagement with the MariaDB article (his part-time employers) makes it impossible to differentiate what is paid editing and what is not. If you're editing your employer's page, even if you are not getting paid for the edits but are being paid for any other work, the differentiation is but so little. If Greenman confirms he will stop editing the page and go to the talk page for any editing requests, I may reconsider this oppose. I am clear that other editors may not agree with my oppose. Thanks, Lourdes 07:36, 6 October 2019 (UTC)
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:46 pm

Poetlister wrote:Nominated by Leftcentreright (T-C-L), who is not himself an admin but as far as I know is a good solid contributor on matters regarding South Africa. So far, 16/1/1 with this oppose from Lourdes (T-C-L):
Oppose CoI editing is strongly discouraged on Wikipedia. Irrespective of whether his edits are acceptable or not, his continuing engagement with the MariaDB article (his part-time employers) makes it impossible to differentiate what is paid editing and what is not. If you're editing your employer's page, even if you are not getting paid for the edits but are being paid for any other work, the differentiation is but so little. If Greenman confirms he will stop editing the page and go to the talk page for any editing requests, I may reconsider this oppose. I am clear that other editors may not agree with my oppose. Thanks, Lourdes 07:36, 6 October 2019 (UTC)
She appears to have a solid point. Candidate hasn't posted anything yet today, he's going to need to answer questions about this and get in front of it right now if he is to have any chance of success.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:40 pm

Now 21/3/5. Lourdes' oppose has started a discussion about whether editing your employer's page is paid editing or just COI. Praxidicae (T-C-L) is opposing for the same reasons as Lourdes. The other oppose is perhaps less convincing.
Oppose Not encouraged by the AfD activities, especially that the candidate wants to occasionally restore deleted articles. Just looking at the votes from 2018 onwards, the nominator has failed to either give a policy/rationale in all of these, used WP:ITSNOTABLE (which is to be avoided), and didn't analyze whether the sources were in-depth/WP:SIGCOV. [7][8], [9][10] (no valid deletion rationale here and per X is also to be avoided), [11] (this one is especially bad in that regards) or the latest one with a non existing rationale that isn't grounded on guidelines/policies [12]. It becomes a bit better in 2017, may move to neutral if question answers are good. Jovanmilic97 (talk) 12:39, 6 October 2019 (UTC)

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:32 am

now. Doomed :blink:

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:25 am

Jans Hammer wrote:22
now. Doomed :blink:
22/18/2. That was a quick reversal of fortune. it's clearly down to concerns about COI editing.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:46 am

Poetlister wrote:...it's clearly down to concerns about COI editing.
Normally I don't care much about these RfAs, but this really looks like a knee-jerk overreaction on their part. I've looked at his edits to the MariaDB (T-H-L) article, and practically none of them are substantive - it's all just "gnome" stuff, updating the status of various versions. I guess they're saying he didn't sufficiently disclose it (until just recently), but to me it looks like they just didn't bother to check the actual edits.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:49 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Poetlister wrote:...it's clearly down to concerns about COI editing.
Normally I don't care much about these RfAs, but this really looks like a knee-jerk overreaction on their part. I've looked at his edits to the MariaDB (T-H-L) article, and practically none of them are substantive - it's all just "gnome" stuff, updating the status of various versions. I guess they're saying he didn't sufficiently disclose it (until just recently), but to me it looks like they just didn't bother to check the actual edits.
I quite agree with this analysis. That's the problem with crowdsourcing; it too often degenerates into mob rule, with people blindly following the leader without thinking or checking the facts. :angry:

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:03 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:I've looked at his edits to the MariaDB (T-H-L) article, and practically none of them are substantive - it's all just "gnome" stuff, updating the status of various versions.
Yeah, that's what I concluded as well. There is a moral panic over COI / paid editing at Wikipedia, which is propogated by Jimbo downwards. People don't look at the content or the edits, they just shout "ZOMG PAID EDITING" with all the critical thinking skills of a Sun reader.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:55 pm

There is a Large Question whether Greenmon really understands BLP and V: Both Policy.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:00 pm

C&B wrote:There is a Large Question whether Greenmon really understands BLP and V: Both Policy.
Is there a general expectation of administrators to know and understand policies?
Asking honestly. I don't mean do editors act like there is "a general expectation of administrators to know and understand policies"?
So far more than half of the administrators I met (1-2 dozen) were either oblivious to certain policies, or misinterpreted those in a way, that's either a logical failure (AGF) or an attempt to game the system (ABF). The statistical sample might be small, but includes "high-ranking" editors, with great influence on the community.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:23 pm

Literally nobody is thoroughly familiar with every single policy. There's just too many. However, there is an expectation that they be familiar with content policies as basic as verification of content through reliable sources, since that's something that's expected of everybody.

I was going to ask a follow up to my question but now it would feel like kicking him when he's down. Currently dead even at 28-28. That's "you should withdraw now" territory if I've ever seen it.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:42 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:Literally nobody is thoroughly familiar with every single policy. There's just too many. However, there is an expectation that they be familiar with content policies as basic as verification of content through reliable sources, since that's something that's expected of everybody.

I was going to ask a follow up to my question but now it would feel like kicking him when he's down. Currently dead even at 28-28. That's "you should withdraw now" territory if I've ever seen it.
Further, many policies are mutually contradictory. But if an admin doesn't have a better knowledge of policies than most editors do, he or she can't possibly do the job properly because part of the job is enforcing the policies and, if there are arguments, seeing who has violated what.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:24 pm

https://tools.wmflabs.org/apersonbot/vo ... p/Greenman

Oppose, cast on 07:36, 6 October 2019 by Lourdes
Oppose, cast on 07:52, 6 October 2019 by Serial Number 54129
Oppose, cast on 12:39, 6 October 2019 by Jovanmilic97
Oppose, cast on 19:33, 6 October 2019 by Praxidicae

Then the landslide:
Oppose, cast on 00:13, 7 October 2019 by John M Wolfson
Oppose, cast on 00:25, 7 October 2019 by Utopes
Oppose, cast on 01:21, 7 October 2019 by CoffeeCrumbs
Oppose, cast on 03:31, 7 October 2019 by Kudpung
Oppose, cast on 04:09, 7 October 2019 by Robert McClenon
Oppose, cast on 04:18, 7 October 2019 by Jbhunley
Oppose, cast on 04:26, 7 October 2019 by Alex Shih
Oppose, cast on 04:32, 7 October 2019 by OhKayeSierra
Oppose, cast on 04:35, 7 October 2019 by Ched
Oppose, cast on 04:45, 7 October 2019 by ThatMontrealIP
Oppose, cast on 04:57, 7 October 2019 by Mkativerata
Oppose, cast on 05:00, 7 October 2019 by Cryptic

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:57 pm

Oppose substantially exceeded support for a while but then support increased. It's now 36/37/3, which is clearly withdrawal territory. Voting is rather light, only 76 cast. In Kees08 there are 95 votes cast and it's not been going for as long.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:42 pm

I suspect, now that it's clear it's going to fail, people don't want to pile-on opposes. He's commented on his talk page that the whole process has helped reveal systemic bias, which he apparently thinks is the only reason his poorly cited articles are suddenly being nominated for deletion. What actually seems to be happening is that users who are good at this sort of thing are swooping in and adding more/better refs.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:I suspect, now that it's clear it's going to fail, people don't want to pile-on opposes. He's commented on his talk page that the whole process has helped reveal systemic bias, which he apparently thinks is the only reason his poorly cited articles are suddenly being nominated for deletion. What actually seems to be happening is that users who are good at this sort of thing are swooping in and adding more/better refs.
This is an oversimplification...

1. PROD being used en masse on stubs created by the RFA nominee instead of AfD because Kudpung is a prick.

2. PROD tags being removed en masse because Kudpung is a prick.

3. New sources being added because of desire to avoid AfD.

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:07 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:which he apparently thinks is the only reason his poorly cited articles are suddenly being nominated for deletion.
Did his RfA become a boomerang-cleanup-spree, effectively canvassing deletionists? There is something "systemic" in that :rotfl:
Randy wrote: This is an oversimplification...
1. PROD being used en masse on stubs created by the RFA nominee instead of AfD because Kudpung is a prick.
Meet next years ArbCom nominee.
This "oversimplification" is still more informative, than the previous.
Randy wrote: 3. New sources being added because of desire to avoid AfD.
Now that's "being here to create an encyclopedia", or solution-oriented, as humans say.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:17 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:I suspect, now that it's clear it's going to fail, people don't want to pile-on opposes. He's commented on his talk page that the whole process has helped reveal systemic bias, which he apparently thinks is the only reason his poorly cited articles are suddenly being nominated for deletion. What actually seems to be happening is that users who are good at this sort of thing are swooping in and adding more/better refs.
This is an oversimplification...

3. New sources being added because of desire to avoid AfD.

RfB
That's fair enough, it is a dick move to flood someone's talk page with deletion noms while they are at RFA.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:05 pm

It's obvious that if you put yourself in the public eye by having an RfA, people are going to look at your contributions. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that they will PROD every article they find that they don't like, but, well, Wikipedia editors are Wikipedia editors alas.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:19 am

Beeblebrox wrote:That's fair enough, it is a dick move to flood someone's talk page with deletion noms while they are at RFA.
Quite revealing that my reply to this sexist "dick" nonsense has apparently been deleted without comment, as I suppose this comment will too.

Is there no limit to the double standards on display here?

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:37 am

Eric Corbett wrote:Is there no limit to the double standards on display here?
Not in your case, at least when the "c-word" is involved.

Be a mensch, Eric! You can do it! Remember, I have complete confidence in you.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:35 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:

I asked a reasonable question, you have provided an unreasonable, bigotted and insulting answer.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:52 pm

This RfA is an absurd example of witch-hunting. :blink:
Globally banned after 7 years.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Now at 63/49/10, so there has been a surge of support but there seems to be little prospect that it will be a success.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:50 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

I asked a reasonable question, you have provided an unreasonable, bigotted and insulting answer.

This isn't en.wp and we aren't your little razor gang.

If it's just all too much to bear, *back of right hand held delicately to forehead for great effect while peeking to see if the gesture is effective*, you know where the door is.

Try not to let it hit you where the good lord split you.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

This isn't en.wp and we aren't your little razor gang.

If it's just all too much to bear, *back of right hand held delicately to forehead for great effect while peeking to see if the gesture is effective*, you know where the door is.

Try not to let it hit you where the good lord split you.
Just as stupidly dishonest as usual. Nothing changes with you.

You don't even know what you're talking about in this case, do you. But then you rarely have even the most fleeting grasp on reality, so that ought not to be a surprise.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:42 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:You don't even know what you're talking about in this case, do you. But then you rarely have even the most fleeting grasp on reality, so that ought not to be a surprise.
Look, Mr. Corbett, I think we've all heard the argument that the phrase "dick move" is a form of "reverse sexism" that would be viewed as "gendered harassment" in various modern social venues.

Actually no, I take that back, nobody has heard that argument before because nobody ever makes that argument. (Except, maybe, you.) In spite of that, I remain 100% confident in your ability to rise above such mundane, petty personal concerns and show us all that you really do deserve the respect that comes with your years of personal experience with subjects of concern here. You can do it, man! Tough it out! Control, control, control!

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:You don't even know what you're talking about in this case, do you. But then you rarely have even the most fleeting grasp on reality, so that ought not to be a surprise.
Look, Mr. Corbett, I think we've all heard the argument that the phrase "dick move" is a form of "reverse sexism" that would be viewed as "gendered harassment" in various modern social venues.

Actually no, I take that back, nobody has heard that argument before because nobody ever makes that argument. (Except, maybe, you.) In spite of that, I remain 100% confident in your ability to rise above such mundane, petty personal concerns and show us all that you really do deserve the respect that comes with your years of personal experience with subjects of concern here. You can do it, man! Tough it out! Control, control, control!
I recognise and have to accept your dishonesty in this matter. Nothing more needs to be said.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

I recognise and have to accept your dishonesty in this matter. Nothing more needs to be said.
So, when are you leaving forever again?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:36 am

Midsize Jake threw an elbow.
Vigilant saw the response.
Cards & leaves are yellow.
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 am

:backtotopic:

73/52/9, so clearly not a success. But he hasn't given up.

ZettaComposer
Contributor

Unread post by ZettaComposer » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:14 pm

It made a nice comeback from the high 40s, but it looks like this one is going to be a little short of the discretionary range. Even if it got there I don't think the crats would promote.

On a side note, Silktork posted a long rambling oppose vote that is hurting my brain to read. Maybe Greenman owes him money?

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:24 pm

SilkTork wrote: we expect admins to make themselves available in a timely manner to respond to questions about their actions - and during a RfA, which only runs for seven days, we expect candidates to remain alert for that period.
12 hours, SilkTork? What about the polite wp:adminacct question I addressed to Bbb23 in public, in front of the ArbCom, 3 months ago?
I don't remember you giving him a "nudge", to answer those difficult questions.

collect
Regular
Wikipedia User: Collect

Unread post by collect » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:13 pm

Osborne wrote:
SilkTork wrote: we expect admins to make themselves available in a timely manner to respond to questions about their actions - and during a RfA, which only runs for seven days, we expect candidates to remain alert for that period.
12 hours, SilkTork? What about the polite wp:adminacct question I addressed to Bbb23 in public, in front of the ArbCom, 3 months ago?

Politesse and ST are incompatible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... om_Collect

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Osborne wrote:
Bbb23 is an admin now. He doesn't have to answer to anyone because it's almost impossible to do anything about him. Someone running for admin is in a very different position!

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Good joke :XD
Here's a reflection, erring on the side of seriousness:
SilkTork is an Arbitrator now. His voluntarily requested responsibility is to ensure the policies of the English wikipedia community are upheld, even by administrators, entrusted by the community. :evilgrin:

Zoloft
Trustee
Wikipedia User: Stanistani
Wikipedia Review Member: Zoloft
Actual Name: William Burns
Nom de plume: William Burns

Unread post by Zoloft » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:11 am

88/59/9 - 60%

My avatar is sometimes indicative of my mood:
  • Actual mug ◄
  • Uncle Cornpone
  • Zoloft bouncy pill-thing

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:28 am

Poetlister wrote:Bbb23 is an admin now.
Bbb23 is a troll (now!)
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:51 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

Perhaps we should be gender-neutral and refer to Kudpung as an "asshole."

I wouldn't want to melt any PC snowflakes with my misandrous man-bashing...

RfB
“I tell ya, it's a bit rich to see Silver seren post about the bad offsite people considering how prolific he was (is?) at WR.” —Mason, WPO, April 12, 2012

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:26 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

RfB
Works for me.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:38 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:

RfB
Works for me.
I would prefer to call Kudpung a cunt and that is not intended to be any sort of snide jibe because Eric is here. I have called out Kudpung for years as an absolute utter, 100% twat and I think asshole is too generous. I also fear that this is his year for AC. :angry:

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:25 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:I would prefer to call Kudpung a cunt and that is not intended to be any sort of snide jibe because Eric is here. I have called out Kudpung for years as an absolute utter, 100% twat and I think asshole is too generous. I also fear that this is his year for AC. :angry:
Isn't the English language wonderful? There are so many words to describe someone you don't like.

Anyway, the vote is now 99/64/9 or 61% so support is creeping up. However, with only a few hours left it looks like the support is too little, too late.

Graph

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:59 pm

final tally: 104-66 61%

If he takes criticism on board he may be able to successfully run in 6-12 months, but since he seemed to find all the criticism amusing and rooted in systemic bias he may not.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:00 am

It's kicking off at BQ and on DQs talk page. Crat on Crat about dodgy close. Looks like she couldn't wait to be the one to press the button to close as an unsuccessful RfA and folks now demanding it should have been a crat chat.
linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... eenman_RfA[/link]

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:39 am

Yeah, it's not the first time DeltaQuad rushes to arbitrary judgements. A 'crat chat may not have been necessary, but in close situations you need to give a rationale and have the courtesy to ask other 'crats, particularly when 1) there is a similar precedent not so long ago 2) a chance that you may been seen as prejudging the result prior to closure.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:26 pm

It was definitely below the normal discretionary range. However, it can always be argued that since RfA is a !vote rather than a vote, anything not unanimous could go to crat chat, whether above or below the range.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Moral Hazard wrote:Midsize Jake threw an elbow.
Cards & leaves are yellow.
7 / 7 / 7 ???

Are you hai?

Jake threw an elbow.
Yellow cards and leaves.

RfB

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Man people love to find reasons to argue.