Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee/CheckUser and Oversight/2019

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
ShinkawaGirl
Contributor
kołdry

Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee/CheckUser and Oversight/2019

Unread post by ShinkawaGirl » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:25 am

The Arbitration Committee is seeking to appoint additional editors to the CheckUser and Oversight teams.
linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... s#Comments[/link]

C&B
Habitué

Re: Wikipedia:Arbitration Committee/CheckUser and Oversight/

Unread post by C&B » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:13 pm

L235 AKA Kevin = AGK-style "hat collecting moron".

How do we get that in a question :D
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:40 pm

I keep meaning to stand as a “none of the above” or “want to revert shit blocks by Bbb23” candidate, but always forget.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:I keep meaning to stand as a “none of the above” or “want to revert shit blocks by Bbb23” candidate, but always forget.
:like: Of course, you'd need to phrase it in a way that avoids accusations of violating WP:NPA. :B'
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

ZettaComposer
Contributor

Unread post by ZettaComposer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:04 pm

Flashback to the 2015 Requests:
How willing are you to block a user unilaterally (CU block)? With the advent of "Wi-Fi" and shared IPs would you consider whether or not the IP address was shared before making a decision?— Preceding unsigned comment added by 66.87.116.185 (talk • contribs) 16:29, 15 March 2015 (UTC)

My expectation is that initially I will be running CUs only pursuant to requests at WP:SPI. That's what I'm most familiar with now, and doing so will permit me to get used to the tools and how to use them properly. So, if by "unilaterally" you mean on my own, I don't expect to be doing it.--Bbb23 (talk) 20:50, 15 March 2015 (UTC)
Amazing what a few years of power can do to a person.

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:56 pm

ZettaComposer wrote:Flashback to the 2015 Requests:
How willing are you to block a user unilaterally (CU block)? With the advent of "Wi-Fi" and shared IPs would you consider whether or not the IP address was shared before making a decision?— Preceding unsigned comment added by 66.87.116.185 (talk • contribs) 16:29, 15 March 2015 (UTC)

My expectation is that initially I will be running CUs only pursuant to requests at WP:SPI. That's what I'm most familiar with now, and doing so will permit me to get used to the tools and how to use them properly. So, if by "unilaterally" you mean on my own, I don't expect to be doing it.--Bbb23 (talk) 20:50, 15 March 2015 (UTC)
Amazing what a few years of power can do to a person.
It is indeed. What a power-crazed jerk he turned out to be.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:31 pm

This process is weird.

They take applications, and may reject some out of hand as obviously unqualified.
Then they give that preliminary list to the functionaries for our comments. Candidates may or may not be removed based on our feedback.
Then they let the community ask them questions for a while. (Expect them to stress this year that it really isn't a vote because people seemed to think it was last year.)
Then they appoint whomever they want

For those who weren't around or don't recall, previously this was a straight election using SecurePoll. So the only feedback the candidates got was number of votes, with no idea who opposed them or why. In 2010, when the functionaries team was significantly smaller, they needed more oversighters, held an election, and only got one. (I was an also-ran in that election) So a few months later the committee trotted out this new way of doing it, where everyone gets a say but in the end arbcom does what it wants.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:51 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:This process is weird.

They take applications, and may reject some out of hand as obviously unqualified.
Then they give that preliminary list to the functionaries for our comments. Candidates may or may not be removed based on our feedback.
Then they let the community ask them questions for a while. (Expect them to stress this year that it really isn't a vote because people seemed to think it was last year.)
Then they appoint whomever they want

For those who weren't around or don't recall, previously this was a straight election using SecurePoll. So the only feedback the candidates got was number of votes, with no idea who opposed them or why. In 2010, when the functionaries team was significantly smaller, they needed more oversighters, held an election, and only got one. (I was an also-ran in that election) So a few months later the committee trotted out this new way of doing it, where everyone gets a say but in the end arbcom does what it wants.
The process is entirely consistent with the rest of WP's wierdness.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:07 pm

In the old days, that's how Arbcom was chosen. Jimbo did what he wanted. Then they had !votes, in the light of which Jimbo did what he wanted. We're slowly getting better there, though no doubt many here are dissatisfied with the resultant Arbcom.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:13 pm

Poetlister wrote:In the old days, that's how Arbcom was chosen. Jimbo did what he wanted. Then they had !votes, in the light of which Jimbo did what he wanted. We're slowly getting better there, though no doubt many here are dissatisfied with the resultant Arbcom.
Are there any who aren't?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Poetlister wrote:In the old days, that's how Arbcom was chosen. Jimbo did what he wanted. Then they had !votes, in the light of which Jimbo did what he wanted. We're slowly getting better there, though no doubt many here are dissatisfied with the resultant Arbcom.
Are there any who aren't?
I haven't heard Turnedworm (= Worm that turned on WP) complain. :B'

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:02 am

I mean, I get why they changed the process becaue the last time it was done by straight election there were eight of us running and only one got elected, and they actually needed more people on board at that time. 300-something people voted, which for an secret ballot with no reason necessary to oppose, is not a great sample size. This process works better in that it results in people actually getting appointed, but sometimes I find the committee's decisions tone-deaf as regards community input. (but what else is new)

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Yeah, I don't get why anyone would want to input there, since the final decision will always be arbitrary. GW might make an attempt to explain, but the other one, I doubt she even reads that page as her mind are always already made up AFAIK.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:22 pm

A system by which you get who you want, and maybe as many as you want, regardless of what the peasants may say, is surely ideal for the ruling class. (I'd say the Cabal, but as we all know there is no Cabal.)

ZettaComposer
Contributor

Unread post by ZettaComposer » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:42 pm

Results are in.

Everyone who applied for Oversight got it. Everyone except Oshwah and RoySmith got Checkuser. RoySmith not getting it is understandable given the questions and comments. As for Oshwah, I'd jokingly accuse Ritchie of pulling some strings but I imagine he's still not on great terms with Arbcom. Though in all seriousness, while I don't think Oshwah would become the next Bbb23, I do worry about his block happy nature so I think it was for the best.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:48 am

I almost feel guilty about RoySmith. He seems like a stand-up guy in most regards but I have real concerns that he is too quick with the block button in certain situations.

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:39 pm

ZettaComposer wrote:As for Oshwah, I'd jokingly accuse Ritchie of pulling some strings but I imagine he's still not on great terms with Arbcom.
I think the bragging about blocking the US House of Representatives on IRC (as documented by Dykslyver) as if it was some big joke probably rubbed somebody up the wrong way.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:48 pm

Ritchie333 wrote:
ZettaComposer wrote:As for Oshwah, I'd jokingly accuse Ritchie of pulling some strings but I imagine he's still not on great terms with Arbcom.
I think the bragging about blocking the US House of Representatives on IRC (as documented by Dykslyver) as if it was some big joke probably rubbed somebody up the wrong way.
Given the way that many people on WP think, I'm surprised that it wasn't a point in his favour. :evilgrin:

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:15 pm

A fairly typical example of how this process functions.
Oshwah is already a functionary, got no negative feedback during the functionary consultation (although that would be awkward since he is on that list), got no negative comments during the public comment period, and then didn't get in. It is however possible that some objections were made privately by email.

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:16 am

That's why the entire "process" is a farce, when minds are already made up in the first place. Oshwah most certainly made minor mistakes routinely with OS also, and the nature of OS would mean that it wouldn't be broadcasted. Then we have folks that simply will continue to think he is not 1) mature enough (which is ironic because some argued OS requires more maturity than CU) 2) too eager to please people 3) reckless 4) too quick with buttons.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Alex Shih wrote:Then we have folks that simply will continue to think he is not 1) mature enough (which is ironic because some argued OS requires more maturity than CU) 2) too eager to please people 3) reckless 4) too quick with buttons.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:37 pm

Alex Shih wrote:That's why the entire "process" is a farce, when minds are already made up in the first place.
But that's how every process works on Wikipedia.

ShinkawaGirl
Contributor

Unread post by ShinkawaGirl » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:48 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Alex Shih wrote:That's why the entire "process" is a farce, when minds are already made up in the first place.
True an admin who clearly socked with an IP and edit warred is a functionary .

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:56 pm

ShinkawaGirl wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
True an admin who clearly socked with an IP and edit warred is a functionary .
As is pointed out ad nauseam on this site, admins get special treatment far too often. Someone may be along in a minute with a scene from Animal Farm.

ShinkawaGirl
Contributor

Unread post by ShinkawaGirl » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:52 pm

A very interesting situation has arisen that a oversighter socked with his college IP and real name early in career and it been rev Del and oversighted.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:55 pm

ShinkawaGirl wrote:A very interesting situation has arisen that a oversighter socked with his college IP and real name early in career and it been rev Del and oversighted.
Do you find that surprising?

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:48 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
ShinkawaGirl wrote:A very interesting situation has arisen that a oversighter socked with his college IP and real name early in career and it been rev Del and oversighted.
Do you find it surprising that someone here is clearly out for revenge and will go to any lengths to gin up evidence to get said revenge?

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:58 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
Do you find it surprising that someone here is clearly out for revenge and will go to any lengths to gin up evidence to get said revenge?
Fram wants a word.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:36 am

Beeblebrox wrote:Do you find it surprising that someone here is clearly out for revenge and will go to any lengths to gin up evidence to get said revenge?
There's no proof of that. But it's not surprising, that you present it as a fact "clearly".
Vigilant wrote: Fram wants a word.
:rotfl:

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:35 am

Osborne wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:Do you find it surprising that someone here is clearly out for revenge and will go to any lengths to gin up evidence to get said revenge?
There's no proof of that. But it's not surprising, that you present it as a fact "clearly".
It depends on how you define "proof." I would imagine that to Mr. Beeblebrox, the fact that Ms. Shinkawagirl has consistently failed to address the counter-arguments directly (both in the private-forum thread about this and in this one) might be "proof enough" of a revenge motivation. In fact, I think it's fair to say she's ignored them.

Those counter-arguments basically consist of:
  • It happened six years ago when Vanamonde93 (T-C-L) was still a fairly new user;
  • All he really did was edit while not logged in, as opposed to "socking" involving a separate named account;
  • The "edit warring" wasn't obsessive, as it involved fewer than five articles (that I could find, anyway) and one actual issue, namely, whether or not certain Noam Chomsky books should be treated as reliable sources.
Normally when allegations like this are brought up, we give them a fair hearing, as I think we've done in this case. But we do have to draw the line somewhere, because if we don't, we just end up looking like a bunch of nitpickers, right? What this guy did looks forgivable to me. Then again, maybe I'm just saying that because I like Noam Chomsky.

MysteriousStranger
Critic
Wikipedia User: Muhahaha...I'll never tell!

Unread post by MysteriousStranger » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Osborne wrote:
It depends on how you define "proof." I would imagine that to Mr. Beeblebrox, the fact that Ms. Shinkawagirl has consistently failed to address the counter-arguments directly (both in the private-forum thread about this and in this one) might be "proof enough" of a revenge motivation. In fact, I think it's fair to say she's ignored them.

• It happened six years ago when Vanamonde93 (T-C-L) was still a fairly new user;
  • All he really did was edit while not logged in, as opposed to "socking" involving a separate named account;
  • The "edit warring" wasn't obsessive, as it involved fewer than five articles (that I could find, anyway) and one actual issue, namely, whether or not certain Noam Chomsky books should be treated as reliable sources.
Normally when allegations like this are brought up, we give them a fair hearing, as I think we've done in this case. But we do have to draw the line somewhere, because if we don't, we just end up looking like a bunch of nitpickers, right? What this guy did looks forgivable to me. Then again, maybe I'm just saying that because I like Noam Chomsky.
I prefer Nim Chimpsky myself.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:48 pm

MysteriousStranger wrote:I prefer Nim Chimpsky myself.
:like:

Oh yes, seconded!

ShinkawaGirl
Contributor

Unread post by ShinkawaGirl » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:40 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Osborne wrote:

Midsize Jake
I have never personally interacted with Vanamonde93 (T-C-L) or E.M.Gregory (T-C-L) or WJBscribe (T-C-L) or with anyone about him I have commented here personally.
Further honestly I had never heard about José Napoleón Duarte (T-H-L) before rather never knew who he was I am not concerned how his article is written. I have never followed Central American Politics.
  • Vanamonde93 (T-C-L) did sock even after being told clearly Also please remember to sign in every time you edit. Sometimes you edit as 137.22.171.215, sometimes as Vanamonde93. N.B. the policy on sockpuppetry: Wikipedia:Sock puppetry. (T-H-L) Accuracy88 (talk) on 29 September 2013‎
  • Trust is most important for functionaries and they should come clean.
  • He would not clear his RFA had his socking been known
  • Some unsolicited advice: come clean. I don't know the details of the history here, but the community looks far more favorably upon folks who can admit and learn from past mis-steps, if any, than those who ignore them or dissemble instead. Vanamonde (talk) 17:32, 7 February 2018 (UTC
    Advice Given by users truly to Ms Sarah Welch (T-C-L) after she was blocked for socking.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:38 am

YAWN