Fram's RFA

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Re: Fram Request for Administration 2 — Now with more words!

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:07 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:Arbcom is the community's sole mechanism to rein in bad actors with tools; they found a history of sufficiently and consistently bad behavior to pull tools and refer the matter to the community.
No, they didn't.

The screaming lack of diffs presented by anyone on ARBCOM on the 'desysop Fram' side of things argues the opposite by the conspicuous absence of said diffs.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Why would a fairly inactive editor AFBorchert linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:C ... AFBorchert[/link] make what looks like their first ever RFA contribution to offer a support with more blue links than a blue link thing? linkhttps://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =918033412[/link]
That sort of thing takes some putting together. :blink:

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:30 pm

11:30 am in the West.

65 - 58 - 2 = 53%

Downward trend continues.

I'm out the door to work. Somebody else should track the stock market...

Carry on.

RfB

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:33 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:11:30 am in the West.

65 - 58 - 2 = 53%

Downward trend continues.

I'm out the door to work. Somebody else should track the stock market...

Carry on.

RfB
sub 50% by the time you get back....

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:36 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:I'm out the door to work. Somebody else should track the stock market...
I doubt we need half-hourly updates.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:20 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:8:30 am on the West coast of the USA and it's down to 68%.

Fram is fucked.

RfB

P.S. With the strange bedfellows I have made, I'm now feeling more than a little nauseous myself...
You should.

Pudeo
Regular

Unread post by Pudeo » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:23 pm

Looks like it will sank for sure. Drmies' numerous pals will be flocking to the oppose section to defend his honour after the failed ArbCom bid, and also the "Women in Red" folks seem to be mobilizing.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:25 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Oppose - Please note that RfA is about whether the community trusts the candidate to use the admin tools. This is not about whether Fram was treated fairly in previous matters, though I believe he has been given a great deal too much rope already and proven that he can't handle the responsibility that goes with being an admin. I personally will never be able to trust his word ever again (see my follow-up to question number 6). Smallbones(smalltalk) 16:24, 26 September 2019 (UTC)
THE CIRCLE IS COMPLETE!
START THE ARCANE RIGHTS!
Lot of strange bedfellows Carrite has now. If I woke up and found myself in bed with Peter Ex-man, Gamaliel, and the others that have been mentioned, I'd bolt as fast as my legs could carry me.

Nice of ArbCom to have the "clerks" proxy for them in the oppose column.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:33 pm

12:30 PDT
(71/66/3) 52%
stock market analysis

Some distraction:
Nosebagbear RfA
lolwut

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:35 pm

Pudeo wrote:Looks like it will sank for sure. Drmies' numerous pals will be flocking to the oppose section to defend his honour after the failed ArbCom bid, and also the "Women in Red" folks seem to be mobilizing.
That will be because of Elisa "Ancient Gay People Must Be Notable So I Must Copy Other People's Writing Verbatim" Rolle, whom Fram metaphorically fucked numerous times. Although what is often forgotten is that he Was Not The Only One To Do So.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 pm

Osborne wrote:12:30 PDT
(71/66/3) 52%
stock market analysis

Some distraction:
Nosebagbear RfA
lolwut
When Nosebagbear first contacted me to discuss the possibility of becoming an administrator, I did a quick check of their history and could only ask one thing - "What's wrong with you?".
Yeah, that makes me want to oppose.

Thanks nom!

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Fram blocked by User:WMFOffice for 1 year

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:41 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Vigilant wrote:
chowbok wrote:I'm sorry for not being important enough to co-nom.
Well, I still love you.
Interesting that Iridescent injected THEIR nomination right to the top. Can only imagine they believe it to be the most significant. :blink:
Yes, well everyone loves Iridescent so it will carry great weight. :mellow:

At 71/66/3, it looks rather unlikely to pass, but there's plenty of time.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:59 pm

Jeez, I turn in for the night, wake up and the whole thing's half over already. :blink:

Obviously I'm not personally concerned with the outcome of this one way or the other, but these "Oppose" votes about Mr. Fram's temperament strike me as, well... "full of shit" comes to mind, but I guess the proper term is "crocodile tears." The fact is, WIkipedia has dozens, maybe even hundreds of admins who are perfectly capable of trying to be unfailingly polite and courteous to established, vested, and even their all-new nepotism-protected! power users on WP while they post garbage product and agenda-driven crap for years on end, but do they try? No, of course not. For the last decade or so, they've basically had one guy who was willing to deal with those kinds of people in the only way they can really be dealt with, and now they're throwing him under the bus like everybody else who ever had the temerity to point out the shit-stains on the nice new carpet.

It's shameful, it really is. Then again, I guess he never did apologize to Guido den Broeder, did he? So hey, off with his head.

Casliber
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Casliber
Wikipedia Review Member: Casliber

Unread post by Casliber » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:01 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:8:30 am on the West coast of the USA and it's down to 68%.

Fram is fucked.

RfB

P.S. With the strange bedfellows I have made, I'm now feeling more than a little nauseous myself...
"nauseated" is a more exacting adjective than "nauseous". Also "strange bedfellows" has been a feature of all wikipedia criticism sites for a decade. I have always been amused at the diverse people who can unite here.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:18 pm

Am I reading it correctly that one of the major opposition points in this RfA something which is currently oversighted, and not available for the normal punter to read and make their own opinion of?

Seems a little Alanis Morissette to me.

Ansh666
Critic
Wikipedia User: Ansh666

Unread post by Ansh666 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:21 pm

el84 wrote:Am I reading it correctly that one of the major opposition points in this RfA something which is currently oversighted, and not available for the normal punter to read and make their own opinion of?

Seems a little Alanis Morissette to me.
That's...pretty normal, actually. Everyone just assumes that since it was oversighted, it must have been bad.

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:36 pm

I know, it's downright stupid. Unbanning Guido is disgusting on Arbcom's part, and there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, which is what that suppressed diff was.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:36 pm

Vigilant wrote: :rotfl:
Fram uncovered an undeclared sockpuppet from a serial shithead who is involved in paid COI editing with an external company and university.
This is worth investigating next.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:51 pm

Alex Shih wrote:I know, it's downright stupid. Unbanning Guido is disgusting on Arbcom's part, and there's nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade, which is what that suppressed diff was.
Just to be clear, I do believe Fram really should have apologized to Guido, at least once it became obvious that the insult was unwarranted (which it was). You're right in that the Arbcom pussyfooted around that whole situation - it was almost like they were doing the wrong thing for the right reason(s), or something. But he still should have apologized.

Honestly, of all the things I've seen in researching his background over the course of this whole fiasco, that's still the only thing that really struck me as being "over the top." The GW block was certainly wrong-headed, maybe even stupid, but he knew it was never going to stand anyway, and he did at least apologize for it.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:03 pm

More auspicious fellow travelers...
I'm not familiar with this user (apart from the recent drama), but they were recently found to be unsuitable for adminship by ArbCom. And their few, terse and dismissive answers here do not convince me that ArbCom was wrong. So I'll have to go with ArbCom's assessment. Sandstein 20:20, 26 September 2019 (UTC)
Oppose per Rosiestep et al. Andy Mabbett (Pigsonthewing); Talk to Andy; Andy's edits 18:54, 26 September 2019 (UTC)
Strong Oppose per many of the above comments, including those from @Drmies, Gamaliel, Kirill Lokshin, Montanabw, and SusunW, but also from a few others. --Rosiestep (talk) 18:38, 26 September 2019 (UTC)
Oppose. I don't wish to empower someone who is prone to behavioral problems. Fram can continue to contribute as a regular user. Binksternet (talk) 17:42, 26 September 2019 (UTC)
Oppose Simply too big of a cloud with what has gone on recently, and this could dent editor retention. A case of WP:NOTNOW, and we should see how the next 12-18 months pan out, with an emphasis of trust across the wider community. Lugnuts Fire Walk with Me 17:28, 26 September 2019 (UTC)
Just no - Reaper Eternal (talk) 16:31, 26 September 2019 (UTC)
Maybe Demiurge1000 can weigh in on the Oppose side and the dark portal will open completely.

P.S. Tim, I'm still waiting for the diffs/evidence you claim show an obvious failure for WP:ADMINCOND.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Yes, Sandstein chiming in with the "desysopped by ArbCom, so user must have done something really awful, and I'm too lazy and stupid to read up on it, so I'll just oppose and leave."

Several other opposes with the same.

I said this would happen.

Someone should point out that he wasn't actually desysopped by ArbCom, and that ArbCom refused to take responsibility for anything the WMF did when they were pressed on the point.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:14 pm

10920 wrote: Several other opposes with the same.
I said this would happen.
I expected more of these. Much more. Of course there are also the support votes, that are similarly deep and original.

el84
Gregarious
Actual Name: Andy E

Unread post by el84 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:29 pm

Vigilant wrote:More auspicious fellow travelers...
I'm not familiar with this user (apart from the recent drama), but they were recently found to be unsuitable for adminship by ArbCom. And their few, terse and dismissive answers here do not convince me that ArbCom was wrong. So I'll have to go with ArbCom's assessment. Sandstein 20:20, 26 September 2019 (UTC)
The King of AE claims to not be familiar with Fram?

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:05 pm

15:00 PDT
(84/80/5) 51% of 164 votes
Been oscillating between 53-51% for 4 hours, converging on 51%

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:27 pm

el84 wrote:
Seems rather unlikely. Sandstein's basic position is quite consistent though; whatever ArbCom gets up to is by his definition "right".
Last edited by Eric Corbett on Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:27 pm

el84 wrote:
Reminiscent of the Eric Corbett issue at AE where Sandstein showed that he was either a corrupt liar or doesn't read the cases he responds to.

link

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:29 pm

10920 wrote:
el84 wrote:
Reminiscent of the Eric Corbett issue at AE where Sandstein showed that he was either a corrupt liar or doesn't read the cases he responds to.

link
... or perhaps both.

The Adversary
Habitué

Unread post by The Adversary » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:02 pm

Osborne wrote:
Fram uncovered an undeclared sockpuppet from a serial shithead who is involved in paid COI editing with an external company and university.
Hmm, I want to hear more about this.

Gosh, I recognise so many incompetent grifters in the oppose sections.
All those people who get free rides to Wikimeets all over the world seem to have decided to have their next convention in the "oppose" section of Fram2
:sick:

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:20 am

The Adversary wrote:
Osborne wrote:
Hmm, I want to hear more about this.

Gosh, I recognise so many incompetent grifters in the oppose sections.
All those people who get free rides to Wikimeets all over the world seem to have decided to have their next convention in the "oppose" section of Fram2
:sick:
Makes you wonder if there's offwiki comms about this.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:21 am

Wow.
Oppose Not seeing any sign of remorse for all the trouble caused. Hawkeye7 (discuss) 00:03, 27 September 2019 (UTC)
How now, Tim cow?

Dysklyver
Cornishman
Actual Name: Arthur Kerensa
Nom de plume: Dysk

Unread post by Dysklyver » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:56 am

Regardless of the WMF ban drama there is absolutely no way Fram should be an admin, but it looks like the RfA going to fail anyway so that's all fine I guess. :evilgrin:
Globally banned after 7 years.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:05 am

Dysklyver wrote: that's all fine I guess. :evilgrin:
I don't find him apt to be admin, so it's ok by me, but even so I did not wish him this nosedive.
But his temperament comes to the surface again and again on the meta talk page, in his original self-nom, and last in his answers to Smallbones...
Carcaroth warned him not to answer like that, and that wasn't enough. He can't realize, this is not how he should.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:28 am

Vigilant wrote:Wow.
Oppose Not seeing any sign of remorse for all the trouble caused. Hawkeye7 (discuss) 00:03, 27 September 2019 (UTC)
How now, Tim cow?
Shocking that Hawkeye would oppose, given his strong grifting and LH roots. <rolls eyes>

musikaman
Contributor

Unread post by musikaman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:29 am

Dysklyver wrote:Regardless of the WMF ban drama there is absolutely no way Fram should be an admin, but it looks like the RfA going to fail anyway so that's all fine I guess. :evilgrin:
Sounds like you're one of those people who can't take criticism unless it's wrapped in civilized language you can't understand.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, opposing Fram at this point is more or less a thin skinned moron. The project will be worse without him, never better. You need him around to stand up to the people the rest of you are too gutless or ignorant to deal with.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:35 am

18:30 PDT
(94/92/9) 51%
Back to 51% from 50% with the help of Starship.paint and 28bytes.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:55 am

Support per Iridescent. Also, anyone disliked by the massed ranks of the Wikimedia DC chapter, with their undue influence in WMF circles, can't be bad. - Sitush (talk) 00:50, 27 September 2019 (UTC)

Support (Moral). After all the feedback I am sure Fram will be much more careful not to become exasperated at users. If not, ArbCom will deal with it swiftly, and I will support them in doing so. Fram, you probably should have waited to come to RfA and been more reflective on your errors to have improved your chances. In addition, I do not like the appearance that the WMF DC Chapter is playing games. I know political tricks are fashionable in Washington, but let's not import that stuff into Wikipedia. Jehochman Talk 01:49, 27 September 2019 (UTC)
Seems like I'm not the only to see this.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:58 am

musikaman wrote:Sounds like you're one of those people who can't take criticism unless it's wrapped in civilized language you can't understand.
I agree that he's wrong about Mr. Fram, but let's not make this personal. We've seen Mr. Dysklyver handle criticism appropriately despite it being wrapped in all sorts of language.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:02 am

Ring, Ring, it's 7:00 pm / Move yourself to go again...

96 - 94 - 1 = 51%

Food for thought:
93. Oppose To be clear, I believe that the one year WMF ban was both unjust and ham-fisted, and I am glad it was overturned by the very ArbCom that Fram despises. But the issue before us now is whether Fram's conduct has been acceptable for an administrator. In several cases, it is clear that he fell short, and in a few cases, he fell very far short. I came here hoping to see self-reflection and contrition. Instead, Fram chose this edit summary when beginning this RfA: "No discussion, no application of logic, no appeal to fairness or demand of actual evidence will change the position of those wanting to desysop. So let's get this started, shall we?" Instead of dissecting this strange and self-indulgent statement in detail, I will simply say that it represents Fram's usual attitude that any chaos and disruption he creates is the fault of other people who lack the ability to recognize and applaud his unique insights. I find the notion that we should only consider behavior in the last one year to be bizarre. Why not 18 months? Why not six months? Fram openly admits that he engaged in a two month spree of hostile, combative behavior less than two years ago, but he has not made a sincere humble apology to the community. I will not support Fram for administrator unless I see a dramatic change in his behavior, and so far, I haven't. Cullen328 Let's discuss it 6:36 pm, Today (UTC−7)
Plus, Kudpung is in the Support camp.

But I still need a shower...

RfB

musikaman
Contributor

Unread post by musikaman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:15 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
musikaman wrote:Sounds like you're one of those people who can't take criticism unless it's wrapped in civilized language you can't understand.
I agree that he's wrong about Mr. Fram, but let's not make this personal. We've seen Mr. Dysklyver handle criticism appropriately despite it being wrapped in all sorts of language.
I've been watching this debacle since it started and have done an intense amount of reading. It's frustrating to see this shit. I've seen it happen over and over again where communities lose their Fram and go in the bin. I truly think this is a turning point for the worse for WP... and I'm not being hyperbolic. The contributions of people like him aren't understood or appreciated. That's all outside of the travesty ARBCOM made of this case.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:27 am

musikaman wrote:
Midsize Jake wrote:
I've been watching this debacle since it started and have done an intense amount of reading. It's frustrating to see this shit. I've seen it happen over and over again where communities lose their Fram and go in the bin. I truly think this is a turning point for the worse for WP... and I'm not being hyperbolic. The contributions of people like him aren't understood or appreciated. That's all outside of the travesty ARBCOM made of this case.
There's nothing stopping him from making contributions. He does God's work getting in WMF's face about their shitty new products... That requires absolutely zero administrative buttons.

RfB

CoffeeCrumbs
Critic

Unread post by CoffeeCrumbs » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:32 am

Osborne wrote:
Dysklyver wrote: that's all fine I guess. :evilgrin:
I don't find him apt to be admin, so it's ok by me, but even so I did not wish him this nosedive.
But his temperament comes to the surface again and again on the meta talk page, in his original self-nom, and last in his answers to Smallbones...
Carcaroth warned him not to answer like that, and that wasn't enough. He can't realize, this is not how he should.
Being nasty to Smallbones makes me more likely to support an RFA, not less so. He's always been a barnacle (too incompetent to be a grifter) and his Signpost article on the FramBan was an ethical nightmare. If he were a writer I employed, I'd have either sacked him or exiled him to cover junior varsity badminton for 5 years (and I say that as someone who works as a credentialed journalist).

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:36 am

CoffeeCrumbs wrote: Being nasty to Smallbones makes me more likely to support an RFA
That will be one support vote, and there are already a handful of oppose votes referring to Q6.

CoffeeCrumbs
Critic

Unread post by CoffeeCrumbs » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:42 am

Osborne wrote:
CoffeeCrumbs wrote: Being nasty to Smallbones makes me more likely to support an RFA
That will be one support vote, and there are already a handful of oppose votes referring to Q6.
Which is really too bad. I believe Eric Corbett has a word for what Smallbones is.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:43 am

Randy from Boise wrote: There's nothing stopping him from making contributions.
Indeed. And he already has rollbacker rights, so now there's nothing stopping him from going on a rampage cleanup spree, either. :XD
I still have to see a good reason for having back admin rights that is not related to the "comfort" of having more power than most editors.
CoffeeCrumbs wrote: Which is really too bad. I believe Eric Corbett has a word for what Smallbones is.
Cool. Just curious, how is that related to, or influences the number of s/o votes.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:57 am

Lol
Oppose. I have read enough of the FRAMBAN material to see why there are supporters for this RfA, but I feel obliged to oppose. The tenor of some supports seems to be "yes, he's been a jerk and abrasive in the past, but he's improved/improving and he's a good admin". I've no opinion on the "good admin" question; I don't generally read the pages where admin actions are discussed, but I'm willing to believe that's true. However, my own experience with Fram, several years ago, left me wondering if he was temperamentally fit to be an editor, let alone an admin. His vitriolic posts on the Visual Editor feedback page made me unwilling to engage with him in discussion and another editor told Fram that his attitude was ludicrously beyond what was reasonable. I've no objection to strong language, or occasional crusty behaviour, or vigorous argument, but Fram's behaviour was none of those things. I felt he did not consider the other editor to be worth treating as a human being. For behaviour like that, a few months of better behaviour isn't nearly enough. I would want to see years of a clean sheet before I would risk giving someone who is capable of being that unpleasant any power over other editors. If I thought it had been isolated behaviour I might feel less strongly, but the posts I saw on VE/F were too numerous to be the product of a bad day or two, and others above -- even supporters -- seem to have the same opinion that I do, based on other interactions. Please do not give people like this the tools. Mike Christie (talk - contribs - library) 02:40, 27 September 2019 (UTC)−

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:58 am

When this RfA is over, someone needs to bring the Laura Hale/Maria Sefidari Huici case.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:07 am

Ooops. The vynil record jumped back a track again.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:24 am

Second edit of the year for Santa Claus of the Future (T-C-L) is his endorsement of Fram in the Support column.

The well is running dry...

RfB

rhindle
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Kafkaesque
Wikipedia Review Member: rhindle

Unread post by rhindle » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:27 am

Just checked and it's currently 99/99/9.

I'm not bothering to read that hot mess.

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:34 am

Yeah, 99/99/9, not sure if I have ever seen this hahaha. This is just getting boring now, people are just taking cheap shots from years back. Hopefully this RfA makes people realize even more that you should be mingling and socialize more around Wikipedia rather than doing actual useful stuff. Yuck