Barkeep49 RFA

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Jans Hammer
Gregarious
kołdry

Barkeep49 RFA

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:52 pm

Wikipedia:Requests_for_adminship/Barkeep49 (T-H-L)

22 in the Support column already

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Re: Barkeep49 RFA

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:58 pm

Nominated by MelanieN (T-C-L) and Premeditated Chaos (T-C-L). MelanieN is a good solid non-controversial admin. Premeditated Chaos might be controversial in some quarters, but can scarcely be regarded as one of the worst admins. It's currently running at 23/0/0 although the summary at the top says 7/0/0.
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Pudeo
Regular

Unread post by Pudeo » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Their Xtools edit count is pretty curious, almost full inactivity from August 2005 to December 2009. Then new inactivity period from April 2010 to March 2018.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Opposing on the grounds that they have only been active for 17 months would be legitimate. Do we expect anyone to do so!
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Kumioko
Muted
Wikipedia User: Kumioko; Reguyla
Nom de plume: Persona non grata

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Barkeep has all the qualities that are sought in an admin these days.

They have had an account for years; they aren't very active; they're not likely to rock the boat or do anything to attempt to improve or change the culture or the community; they're likely to blindly vote yes along with fellow admins; they probably won't use the tolls much other than to assist other admins and maintain the culture of admin domination on the project; they won't likely standup to editor abuse by admins. So they should pass in a landslide and will be given the recipe for the koolaid.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:16 pm

C&B wrote:Opposing on the grounds that they have only been active for 17 months would be legitimate. Do we expect anyone to do so!
RfA is obviously broken if there are no opposes just based on that. It's been about 170 months since Barkeep has registered. Roughly 24 of the 170 months (about 14%) the user has been active, making 40+ edits. The vast majority of the months had no edits at all.

No one passes an RfA for edits 10+ years ago so the entire basis is the editing from April 2018 to now. That's 17 months.
I'm sure if I nitpick I could find other issues as well.

As I post, it's 42/0/0.

The latest "Support - On the reputation of the nom. SlightSmile 17:10, 4 September 2019 (UTC)"

That is really shaky. "The nominator has a good reputation so I'll blindly support whatever they put forward", although I suppose it's better than the multiple blank "support" votes.
Last edited by 10920 on Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:31 pm

Yeah I always found those a bit silly as well. I always found it rather hypocritical that they would discount opposes if they didn't feel the oppose was justified, but they allow supports like this.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:57 pm

Look at it the other way: in those 17 months he's created a few hundred new articles and managed to bring 20 articles to GA status. That's fairly impressive. People often bitch that a lot of admins don't understand content editing, well this guy certainly does.

He was asked about this and I think his answer is reasonable enough, he started out just killing time at work but now is actually doing it as a hobby, not just a distraction.

But oh noes, Lourdes has is in for hm! https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =913991220 for redirecting hopeless articles to appropriate targets. It amuses me to imagine her thinking this is a smoking gun that will tank this RFA.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:03 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:Look at it the other way: in those 17 months he's created a few hundred new articles and managed to bring 20 articles to GA status. That's fairly impressive. People often bitch that a lot of admins don't understand content editing, well this guy certainly does.

He was asked about this and I think his answer is reasonable enough, he started out just killing time at work but now is actually doing it as a hobby, not just a distraction.

But oh noes, Lourdes has is in for hm! https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =913991220 for redirecting hopeless articles to appropriate targets. It amuses me to imagine her thinking this is a smoking gun that will tank this RFA.
So if he is doing all that content creation he doesn't need the admin tools anyway right? Isn't that the argument, that they don't really need them because they aren't doing admin stuff?

I never really had a problem with Lourdes myself, we always got along ok but I do agree that she isn't really helping her case any. If anything, those kinds of arguments are going to garner support for barkeep.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:32 pm

One annoying habit of Barkeep's is the redirect issue. I saw him once arguing for one of his redirects to be protected. The redirect had no value in the first place.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:36 pm

I see Barkeep decided to involve himself with the Fred Bauder issue after only a few months of active editing.

He has since inserted himself into other Requests for Arbitration. I don't know if Bauder was his first or he had already been a regular there at that point.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:44 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:Look at it the other way: in those 17 months he's created a few hundred new articles and managed to bring 20 articles to GA status. That's fairly impressive. People often bitch that a lot of admins don't understand content editing, well this guy certainly does.

Lourdes does verge on the useless as an admin: I swear that much of the time she is deliberate.
"Someone requests clarification and before you know it you find yourself in the Star Chamber."

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:06 pm

C&B wrote:

Lourdes does verge on the useless as an admin: I swear that much of the time she is deliberate.
I'll be honest, the more I look into this character the more I am reminded of Ironholds. This person might put out some good conduct, but if they get the tools it's going to introduce drama to the project and give us here something more to discuss.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:45 pm

Pudeo wrote:Their Xtools edit count is pretty curious, almost full inactivity from August 2005 to December 2009. Then new inactivity period from April 2010 to March 2018.
We don't know the personal circumstances. There may well be a simple explanation.

Jeff Hawke
Critic

Unread post by Jeff Hawke » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:47 pm

Poetlister wrote:There may well be a simple explanation.
Using one of their other accounts?

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:48 pm

10920 wrote:I see Barkeep decided to involve himself with the Fred Bauder issue after only a few months of active editing.

He has since inserted himself into other Requests for Arbitration. I don't know if Bauder was his first or he had already been a regular there at that point.
So he's interested in what goes on behind the scenes. That's surely no bad thing for an admin candidate. Or are you suggesting that he was so well informed that he must have had another account? I think that if Bauder was the first involvement, he could well have had enough experience by then.

However, Jeff Hawke's suggestion is not implausible.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Jeff Hawke wrote:
Poetlister wrote:There may well be a simple explanation.
Using one of their other accounts?
Occam's razor would say yes.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:56 pm

Poetlister wrote:
10920 wrote:I see Barkeep decided to involve himself with the Fred Bauder issue after only a few months of active editing.

So he's interested in what goes on behind the scenes. That's surely no bad thing for an admin candidate. Or are you suggesting that he was so well informed that he must have had another account? I think that if Bauder was the first involvement, he could well have had enough experience by then.

However, Jeff Hawke's suggestion is not implausible.
Involving yourself in Requests for Arbitration that have nothing to do with you is not a good sign. If it were NYB, who had been a long-standing arbitrator, that would be one thing. This is from a relative newbie.

I checked his contributions and it seems the Fred Bauder case was his first.

Bring back Kurt Weber. These unopposed RfAs just won't do.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:But oh noes, Lourdes has is in for hm! https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =913991220 for redirecting hopeless articles to appropriate targets. It amuses me to imagine her thinking this is a smoking gun that will tank this RFA.
Lourdes can't have it in for him very strongly. Lourdes asked a pointed question, yes, but did not make an oppose vote or even a neutral one. To date, there is no oppose.

ZettaComposer
Contributor

Unread post by ZettaComposer » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:55 pm

We just got Andrew D’s token username question. Just need a pointless oppose over lack of activity, even more pointless debate over the oppose and a concentrated effort to get it removed because god forbid an RFA gets a single oppose, a message on the talkpage of the opposer from Kudpung recommending a reading of his RFA essay, and we can call it a day!

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:56 pm

ZettaComposer wrote:We just got Andrew D’s token username question. Just need a pointless oppose over lack of activity, even more pointless debate over the oppose and a concentrated effort to get it removed because god forbid an RFA gets a single oppose, a message on the talkpage of the opposer from Kudpung recommending a reading of his RFA essay, and we can call it a day!
That sounds about right.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:27 am

ZettaComposer wrote:We just got Andrew D’s token username question. Just need a pointless oppose over lack of activity, even more pointless debate over the oppose and a concentrated effort to get it removed because god forbid an RFA gets a single oppose, a message on the talkpage of the opposer from Kudpung recommending a reading of his RFA essay, and we can call it a day!
:offtopic: He has noticeably cut back on "anti Admin" brigade accusations since last year. I reckon he's lining up for ACE2019. Not sure what platform - could hardy be civility since he accuses almost everyone who passes even mild negative comment about him as a PA.

MrErnie
Habitué

Unread post by MrErnie » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:40 am

Wyatt2049 (T-C-L) earned himself a CU block after daring to ask a question. This seems to be a perfect example of a fishing CU. His unblock appeal is great:
I got blocked for doing vandalism while not logged in. I promise to never do it again, and I beg for 1 chance. I am asking for forgiveness. Please let me have 1 chance. I solemnly swear that I, Wyatt2049, will never do vandalism again ever.
L235 Okay. I will not lie. Please trust me. Give me one chance please. I spent an hour crying over it. I have disobayed God by lying. Please give me one more chance. With regards, Wyatt2049

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:17 am

Now that's an appeal to higher authority.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:30 am

There are now three opposes. AlexEng (T-C-L) argues "that the candidate does not have any particular need for the tools in order to continue doing the good work that they already do on the project". Nihlus (T-C-L) notes that Barkeep49 doesn't seem very interested in admin work. Ejgreen77 (T-C-L) is worried that Barkeep49 might support deleting articles that Ejgreen77 wants to keep.

Still, at 109/3/1, it looks like a sure thing.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 am

Poetlister wrote:There are now three opposes. AlexEng (T-C-L) argues "that the candidate does not have any particular need for the tools in order to continue doing the good work that they already do on the project". Nihlus (T-C-L) notes that Barkeep49 doesn't seem very interested in admin work. Ejgreen77 (T-C-L) is worried that Barkeep49 might support deleting articles that Ejgreen77 wants to keep.

Looks like it. Baring a revelation that he is an Eric sock :evilgrin:

Alex Shih
Regular
Wikipedia User: Alex Shih
Actual Name: Alex Shih

Unread post by Alex Shih » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:07 pm

MrErnie wrote:Wyatt2049 (T-C-L) earned himself a CU block after daring to ask a question. This seems to be a perfect example of a fishing CU. His unblock appeal is great:
I got blocked for doing vandalism while not logged in. I promise to never do it again, and I beg for 1 chance. I am asking for forgiveness. Please let me have 1 chance. I solemnly swear that I, Wyatt2049, will never do vandalism again ever.
L235 Okay. I will not lie. Please trust me. Give me one chance please. I spent an hour crying over it. I have disobayed God by lying. Please give me one more chance. With regards, Wyatt2049
Right? While Wyatt2049 is obviously a dumb kid at school and should be and remain blocked, they weren't even abusing multiple accounts, just doing logged out vandalism at school. When you see an account with low edit count at a page that usually requires experience, it doesn't matter whether or not it's RfA, CU will run a check with the sole reasoning of "suspect socking/returning nuisance?". These kind of checks are far closer to the very definition of "fishing" and happens on regular basis.

Kumioko
Muted

Unread post by Kumioko » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Poetlister wrote:There are now three opposes. AlexEng (T-C-L) argues "that the candidate does not have any particular need for the tools in order to continue doing the good work that they already do on the project". Nihlus (T-C-L) notes that Barkeep49 doesn't seem very interested in admin work. Ejgreen77 (T-C-L) is worried that Barkeep49 might support deleting articles that Ejgreen77 wants to keep.

Someone could accuse him of being one of my socks, he'll get 20 opposes just from the allegation alone.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:36 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
For the record, now that he has passed, Lourdes liked his answer and ended up supporting. Total blowout 233/5
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:

I suppose you meant "barring", but now I'm an admin who can stop me?

eagle
Eagle

Unread post by eagle » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:16 am

Eric Corbett wrote:
Jans Hammer wrote:

I suppose you meant "barring", but now I'm an admin who can stop me?
Obviously, Maria and Laura. :D

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:59 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
For the record, now that he has passed, Lourdes liked his answer and ended up supporting. Total blowout 233/5
That's very impressive. Apart from the special case of Floquenbeam, it's the most supports since Enterprisey in January.

tarantino
Habitué

Unread post by tarantino » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:17 pm

English professor Kate Ozment, who teaches Early English Feminism, was inspired to write a book because Barkeep49 (who she doesn't name, but refers to him as a "misguided banana hammock") put Hroswitha Club (T-H-L) up for deletion three years ago.
https://twitter.com/GrubStreetWomen/sta ... 9777912837

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:31 pm

:banana:

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:56 pm

The article as it first appeared was brief and the sourcing weak.

It appears that Nora Lockshin (T-C-L) wrote the article in her talkpage, and then somehow turned her whole talkpage into an article?

During the AfD, sources were provided that show Hroswitha (T-H-L) is a notable club. But Wikipedians are sticklers for the rules, and they are caught in an eternal dichotomy. By traditional standards there shouldn't be an article on the club because there don't appear to be any reliable secondary sources dealing directly with the subject. In this case, the Wikipedians have had to cobble together documents from across the internet to write the history, which is something Wikipedia does very well at times, but it is essentially Original Research and Synthesis, both of which are outlawed.

This happens quite a lot.

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:12 pm

Seems a bit odd this was the only topic on the entire forum with Barkeep49 in the name.

He's attained quite the influence as far as I can see. Certainly the most visible ArbCom member, their de facto Chair I would say. He seems to always have his finger on the pulse, and he pokes it in many pies. He might even be the only prominent Wikipedian looking for proactive solutions to the many crises facing Wikipedia right now, rather than just chipping in or worse, griping.

He doesn't come close to NewYorkBrad in terms of longevity. But he perhaps now demands the same respect? A leader. It's never seemed to work, this idea Wikipedia can exist without a leader. The theory is sound. But it assumes too much of the puny humans, many of whom are only Wikipedia editors for the most shallow of reasons, if they're being honest.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:25 pm

Now you've stooped to necro-posting two year old threads to try to get some screen time?

Dude.

Have some self-respect.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

greenday61892
Critic
Wikipedia User: Greenday61892

Unread post by greenday61892 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:21 pm

Literally what was even the point of necro'ing this thread if not for attention lol

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:48 pm

greenday61892 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:21 pm
Literally what was even the point of necro'ing this thread if not for attention lol
I think he's trying to say that Mr. Barkeep49 (T-C-L) has achieved a level of influence in just 5-6 years (since becoming an Admin) that Mr. Newyorkbrad took roughly a decade to achieve, and with arguably less "fanfare," which includes the fact that there's been relatively little attention paid to him by us here at Wikipediocracy. Is it because he seems like a nice guy, or is.... dare I say it... well-behaved? :blink:

Not like Newyorkbrad, obviously, who is a total "bad boy" as evidenced by the existence of his super-taboo Wikipediocracy account.

However, we might also note that Mr. Barkeep's first contribs date all the way back to 2005, so he's actually been on WP almost a year longer than NYB — except that as noted earlier in this thread, Mr. Barkeep had an 8-year inactivity period from 2010 to 2018, which Mr. NYB didn't have.

So maybe the real question is, what was he doing during that 8-year period? Who did he work for? Was he somehow involved in the Comet Ping Pong Pizza conspiracy? Is he, in fact, Q? Was he building sex-slave farms on Mars? We simply don't know.

C&B
Habitué

Unread post by C&B » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:52 pm

Idle curiosity speaks... were there any desysops for cause late 2017, early 2018 by any chance?

Kraken
Banned

Unread post by Kraken » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:07 pm

Focusing on the bad boys, while paying little heed to who seems to wield significant power on Wikipedia, is perhaps where Wikipediocracy has been going wrong all these years.

Nihonjoe was a good boy after all. Little noticed. I'm dying to know how he came to the attention of Eddy Landwher. If nobody wants to spill the WO:BEANS, the depressing reality might well just be that it was dumb luck. A chance discovery while someone was looking for something else entirely.
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:29 pm

Kraken wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:07 pm
Nihonjoe was a good boy after all. Little noticed. I'm dying to know how he came to the attention of Eddy Landwher. If nobody wants to spill the WO:BEANS, the depressing reality might well just be that it was dumb luck. A chance discovery while someone was looking for something else entirely.
"Eddy Landwehr" is a pseudonym (obviously?) for someone who, like yourself, has been on the periphery of WP a long time, and I can say with some assurance that this actually has more to do with Nicholas Alahverdian and his own LDS Church connections than "dumb luck." That is, unless we're saying our involvement with the Alahverdian case was dumb luck (I don't think it was, but I guess the argument could be made that only a limited number of people had dealt with Alahverdian on Wikipedia, and at least one of them was known to Mr. "Landwehr" or was, in fact, Mr. Landwehr himself).

For good or ill, the LDS Church has been manipulating Wikipedia for many, many years. They're very subtle, and also very, very polite about it, but the fact remains that the Mormons' version of their own history has always been very much at odds with everyone else's version, and they go to great lengths to insist that their version gets as much exposure as possible. Eventually, someone connected to Wikipedia — and most likely, someone not on Wikipedia — was going to speak up about it, despite all that subtlety and politeness.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:32 pm

Midsize Jake wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:29 pm
Kraken wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:07 pm
"Eddy Landwehr" is a pseudonym (obviously?) for someone who, like yourself, has been on the periphery of WP a long time, and I can say with some assurance that this actually has more to do with Nicholas Alahverdian and his own LDS Church connections than "dumb luck." That is, unless we're saying our involvement with the Alahverdian case was dumb luck (I don't think it was, but I guess the argument could be made that only a limited number of people had dealt with Alahverdian on Wikipedia, and at least one of them was known to Mr. "Landwehr" or was, in fact, Mr. Landwehr himself).

For good or ill, the LDS Church has been manipulating Wikipedia for many, many years. They're very subtle, and also very, very polite about it, but the fact remains that the Mormons' version of their own history has always been very much at odds with everyone else's version, and they go to great lengths to insist that their version gets as much exposure as possible. Eventually, someone connected to Wikipedia — and most likely, someone not on Wikipedia — was going to speak up about it, despite all that subtlety and politeness.
Reminds me of Jeff Merkey tangling with the LDS mafia on Mountain_Meadows_Massacre (T-H-L).
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Jester
Contributor

Unread post by Jester » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:28 pm

C&B wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:52 pm
Idle curiosity speaks... were there any desysops for cause late 2017, early 2018 by any chance?
Cursorily looking at Wikipedia:Former administrators/chronological/2018 (T-H-L), I see Salvidrim! (T-C-L), Arthur Rubin (T-C-L), and Magioladitis (T-C-L). None of them look anything like Barkeep to me.

Edited for formatting reasons
Last edited by Jester on Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May your light shine / And the little birds, /Bring joy with their singing, / They are welcome to me

redbaron
Critic

Unread post by redbaron » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:27 pm

Jester wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:28 pm
C&B wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:52 pm
Cursorily looking at Wikipedia:Former administrators/chronological/2018 (T-H-L), I see User:Salvidrim! (T-C-L), User:Arthur Rubin (T-C-L), and Magioladitis (T-C-L). None of them look anything like Barkeep to me.
They are all still active anyway... though Arthur Rubin is indefinitely banned from article space of all places :hmmm:

Disgruntled haddock
Critic

Unread post by Disgruntled haddock » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:50 pm

Barkeep has such a distinctive and consistent communication style (and I like that about him) that I don't think he matches any obvious former admins. He strikes me as one of the good ones, even if his ArbCom is "one step forward, two steps back" pretty frequently.