WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2019 Arbcom Election Time!

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever
kołdry
Wikipedia User: Carrite
Wikipedia Review Member: Timbo
Actual Name: Tim Davenport
Nom de plume: T. Chandler

Re: WP Sado-Masochism Festival — It's 2019 Arbcom Election Time!

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:00 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am
Bit of blue on wannabee blue this morning. GF going at Kudpung (who else):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia ... llaWarfare
GW is your GF???

RfB

P.S. The Hasten-The-Day crowd's hearts must be aflutter over the prospect of the thin-skinned man and GW being on the same email list together for a whole year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:13 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:00 pm
Jans Hammer wrote:
GW is your GF???

RfB
:rotfl: Yes. But GW is defo not Kudpung's GF :)

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:26 pm

Okay, lemme put on my scriptwriter's hat here... Here's how to make The Arbcom Show™ extremely entertaining for the 2020 season.
1. GW and Kudpung — a cliché Hollywood buddy movie pair if there ever was one — go back and forth against each other for the next five days, nonstop.

2. Kudpung finishes in last place, well under The Pie-Lady-Line.

3. Kudpung takes his butthurt on-Wiki and does something stupid with the tools.

4. An Arbcom case is started to detool Kudpung.

5. GW says she is going to recuse, then presents evidence against Kudpung, then votes anyway.

6. Kudpung loses his toolbox for behavior unbecoming of an administrator, subject to running for reapproval in a new RFA.

7. Kudpung leaps into the new RFA, and hilarity ensues. In the gargantuan Oppose section, Fram writes the wittiest punchline of the year...

My Patreon account awaits your donations. Alternatively, "Librapay really works!" </sarc>

RfB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:30 pm

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Killing me softly...

How did that car get there? The tire marks are in the wrong place. Oh wait...

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:36 pm

Day 3, 10:30 am in the Western US, and only 1,158 votes in the hopper. It's looking like participation is going to show a double-digit percentage decline in 2019 versus 2018, despite the crazy-fast start. Pace of voting continues to tail off, as it always does.

Maybe they're blocking 400 Kumioko socks this year or something...

RfB

P.S. Best user name I've seen in quite a while: Gnome de plume (T-C-L)...
Last edited by Randy from Boise on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Where's Abd's voting guide?
Or Giraffe Stapler's?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:59 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:48 pm
Where's Abd's voting guide?
Or Giraffe Stapler's?
It'd be a lot of fun to do an Onion-style parody of a guide "written" by Count von Tinfoil...

RfB

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:36 pm
It's looking like participation is going to show a double-digit percentage decline in 2019 versus 2018
Maybe they're blocking 400 Kumioko socks this year or something...
Certainly that. We wouldn't think wp is dying and "editor retention" efforts were in vain.
Randy from Boise wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:59 pm
It'd be a lot of fun to do an Onion-style parody of a guide "written" by Count von Tinfoil...
And to see the mighty Crow celebrating the obvious decline of wp.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:37 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
When you see a sitting arb or a fellow candidate go after someone that hard, that's probably their way of saying that no matter what happens, they think this person is grossly unqualified to be an arb, and no matter how it looks they want everyone to know it.

I did basically the same thing to Calidum, basically asked a question that he couldn't answer without admitting he'd acted in an absolutely terrible manner, abused rollback, and called another editor "faggot" (all at the same time) and somehow got off with just a short block instead of an indef. I never expected him to get elected, but some folks might've supported him just for being an outsider, and they had a right to know about this, in particular since he straight-up lied about it when answering a previous question about his block log.

The GW/Kudpung thing was painful to watch the first time around, unlike some of you I don't think Kudpung is such a horrible person, but there's no doubt he was on the wrong side in that incident. The smart move would probably have been to just ignore the question, or at least give a more conciliatory reply, but he went completely the other way and played right into GW's agenda. I don't think he was a particular strong candidate to begin with, but this certainly didn't help his case.
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:49 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:37 pm
Jans Hammer wrote:
When you see a sitting arb or a fellow candidate go after someone that hard, that's probably their way of saying that no matter what happens, they think this person is grossly unqualified to be an arb, and no matter how it looks they want everyone to know it.

I did basically the same thing to Calidum, basically asked a question that he couldn't answer without admitting he'd acted in an absolutely terrible manner, abused rollback, and called another editor "faggot" (all at the same time) and somehow got off with just a short block instead of an indef. I never expected him to get elected, but some folks might've supported him just for being an outsider, and they had a right to know about this, in particular since he straight-up lied about it when answering a previous question about his block log.

The GW/Kudpung thing was painful to watch the first time around, unlike some of you I don't think Kudpung is such a horrible person, but there's no doubt he was on the wrong side in that incident. The smart move would probably have been to just ignore the question, or at least give a more conciliatory reply, but he went completely the other way and played right into GW's agenda. I don't think he was a particular strong candidate to begin with, but this certainly didn't help his case.
He's banned so many people from his talk page or implied their involvement in non-existent PAs that he would likely need to recuse half of the AC cases next year. :blink:

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:02 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
More proof that he's a liar, really. Mr. 28bytes links to this diff in which Kudpung adds the words "PS. You just lost Women in Red an active supporter" immediately after his reaction to GW's asking to be referred to by her username "when discussed among men," and he posts a really snide reply about "proud" women (the word "proud" is linked to gay pride) accusing men who consider themselves supporters of women's rights of being "misandrists," and then he claims he wasn't referring to her. Ridiculous.

I don't think he wants the job — probably just wants some attention for himself.

Pudeo
Regular

Unread post by Pudeo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:03 pm

I was checking some unknown names in the voter log, and there seem to be plenty of quite fresh Pakistani and Indian accounts. Not surprising because of the number of English-speakers in those countries. But those sure are mystery votes because they don't have any community participation.

I had to vote again because I forgot who I voted for.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:11 pm

Pudeo wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:03 pm
I was checking some unknown names in the voter log, and there seem to be plenty of quite fresh Pakistani and Indian accounts. Not surprising because of the number of English-speakers in those countries. But those sure are mystery votes because they don't have any community participation.

Surely they can't vote unless they'vemade 150 edits. Or do you think only people who vote in RfAs should be allowed to vote?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:19 pm

It's pretty easy to make 150 edits without really engaging with the community, so long as they are uncontroversial, or on topics that few pay attention to. What's harder to figure is how folks who aren't engaged int he community com to their decisions on who to vote for. I guess they might actually read all the candidate statements and all their replies to the questions? I tend to assume most people don't vote that way, they look for names they recognize and vote for them, a problem all too common in many elections.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:31 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:19 pm
It's pretty easy to make 150 edits without really engaging with the community, so long as they are uncontroversial, or on topics that few pay attention to. What's harder to figure is how folks who aren't engaged int he community com to their decisions on who to vote for. I guess they might actually read all the candidate statements and all their replies to the questions? I tend to assume most people don't vote that way, they look for names they recognize and vote for them, a problem all too common in many elections.
I vote for everyone - holding my nose - and oppose only 1 :evilgrin:

ArmasRebane
Habitué

Unread post by ArmasRebane » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:40 am

Pudeo wrote:

I end up voting 3-4 times a year because I refactor things. I really should just write a list down and work on paper but since there's no issue with SecurePoll and multiple votes I just go wild.

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:28 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:02 pm
I don't think he wants the job — probably just wants some attention for himself.
That's what they said about Donald Trump.

RfB

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:30 am

Pudeo wrote:

Yeah, I like to check out a few passersby, just to kind of assure myself that things are on the up-and-up.

RfB

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:58 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:28 am
Midsize Jake wrote:
That's what they said about Donald Trump.
The parallels are uncanny... right down to the part about claiming to be a big supporter of women's rights. :peeking:

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:20 am

Midsize Jake wrote:
Jans Hammer wrote:
More proof that he's a liar, really. Mr. 28bytes links to this diff in which Kudpung adds the words "PS. You just lost Women in Red an active supporter" immediately after his reaction to GW's asking to be referred to by her username "when discussed among men," and he posts a really snide reply about "proud" women (the word "proud" is linked to gay pride) accusing men who consider themselves supporters of women's rights of being "misandrists," and then he claims he wasn't referring to her. Ridiculous.

Kudpung is less of a problem once you understand that he talks like Antoine Merriwether of the Men on Film.
Gorilla Warfare.
Hated it!
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Eric Corbett
Retired
Wikipedia User: Eric Corbett
Actual Name: Eric Corbett

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:47 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:30 am
Pudeo wrote:

Yeah, I like to check out a few passersby, just to kind of assure myself that things are on the up-and-up.

RfB
Are you advocating for check users to run CheckUser against arbitrarily chosen accounts? Or suggesting that they don't already do that, contrary to policy?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:47 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:30 am
Pudeo wrote:

RfB
Are you advocating for check users to run CheckUser against arbitrarily chosen accounts? Or suggesting that they don't already do that, contrary to policy?
Here's what I think:

1. IP editing should be terminated yesterday.

2. Registration should be made approximately as difficult as declaring a real-life identity for Arbcom: mail in a document, minimal checking by a real WMF-paid human, making use of a real-life email account.

3. Check users should have a permanent green light to investigate any new account they deem suspect, at their judgment, against a database of previous abusers of WP that has no expiration date.

So yeah, hell yeah, I think check users should run CheckUser arbitrarily against chosen accounts.

The policy is wrong, change the policy.

This starts with WMF, but they're more concerned with micromanaging demographics than with curbing actual abuse.

RfB

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:12 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:08 pm
3. Check users should have a permanent green light to investigate any new account they deem suspect, at their judgment, against a database of previous abusers of WP that has no expiration date.
RfB
I don't think you've thought that through.

For one thing, what's your definition of "abuser"? And for another, any individual named in that database would be entitled to see whatever information was stored about them - at least if they're an EU citizen - and potentially sue for libel/defamation of character.

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:12 pm
Randy from Boise wrote:
RfB

For one thing, what's your definition of "abuser"? And for another, any individual named in that database would be entitled to see whatever information was stored about them - at least if they're an EU citizen - and potentially sue for libel/defamation of character.
Speaking of which Eric, has there been any developments on your subject access request?

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:22 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
RfB

Speaking of which Eric, has there been any developments on your subject access request?
There has, as you can see at link

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:35 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:29 pm
Jans Hammer wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:22 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
RfB

There has, as you can see at link
K. Thanks. I had missed that. Cannot say I am impressed by one of the protagonists over there. :hrmph:

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Jans Hammer wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:35 pm
K. Thanks. I had missed that. Cannot say I am impressed by one of the protagonists over there. :hrmph:
Do you mean the one who is an ArbCom candidate?

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:54 pm

Between Giano's trolling and this nonsense https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =927283325 the election commission is having a rough day.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:06 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:54 pm
Between Giano's trolling and this nonsense https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =927283325 the election commission is having a rough day.
Perhaps not as rough as this election deserves, with candidates like you and Kudpung still in the running.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:24 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
RfB

Bullshit.

Nobody who spends their lives on wikipedia will ever sue. Ever.
Spineless dipshits to a man.
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:27 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:06 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Perhaps not as rough as this election deserves, with candidates like you and Kudpung still in the running.
Oh, your priceless wit has once again wounded me to my very core! Well played sir, truly a great takedown.

Eric Corbett
Retired

Unread post by Eric Corbett » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:27 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
Oh, your priceless wit has once again wounded me to my very core! Well played sir, truly a great takedown.
One can only speak the truth, something you have only a passing acquaintance with.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:51 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:36 pm
Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:27 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
Beeblebrox wrote:
One can only speak the truth, something you have only a passing acquaintance with.
And once again we are returned to peak pointlessness with the Ferret Diddler.

Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:06 pm

I forgot to check the time.

Have another pint, Eric.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:00 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Eric Corbett wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:47 pm
So yeah, hell yeah, I think check users should run CheckUser arbitrarily against chosen accounts.
The policy is wrong, change the policy.
Fishing means no harm to new users. Maybe to established users? I'm not sure, unless it is used for partisan purposes, as Bbb does.
The policy is wrong, silly and favors abusers. Creating a new account is 2 clicks, catching socks takes hours of research for evidence that's only possible after a lot of abuse already happened (after weeks or months). It's also easy to hide socks with patrolling edits. Pros make it to "editor in good standing" / "experienced editor" status.

All new accounts should be checked automatically, not even by a CU. Checkusering is not objective - the decision cannot be automated -, but the likeliness of a match can be determined. Likely matches should be listed to be checked and sacked by CUs. Accounts editing the same page from the same IP in a short timeframe should be listed also to catch socks before serious damage is done. "Likeliness" is not private information, thus regular editors should be able to get that information when they suspect a sock.

Btw this used to be the Elections topic. While it's nice to pass the time, as I remember there is a checkuser specific topic.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Don't worry, Primefac is already on it. "ped*" trigger.
Saved for posterity, before she revdels:
original, archive, webarchive.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:02 pm

Eric Corbett wrote:
Of course, "abuser" is one of those words that has a particular meaning on Wikipedia which may well differ greatly from the everyday meaning.

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:04 pm

Vigilant wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:24 pm
Eric Corbett wrote:
Randy from Boise wrote:
RfB

Bullshit.

Nobody who spends their lives on wikipedia will ever sue. Ever.
Spineless dipshits to a man.
There is no shortage of people who have been checkusered who do not spend their lives on wikipedia. Indeed, many of them have been banned. THey have nothing to lose by suing (other than a lot of money).

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:00 am

File under: Totally Fucking Stupid

A 15th hour voters' guide from SMcCandlish (T-C-L)...

link

+
Thryduulf

Kudpung

Rambling Man

DGG

Fuck it, read it yourself. This guy has proven himself a complete shit-eating moron.

Done.

RfB

Poetlister
Genius

Unread post by Poetlister » Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:00 am
This guy has proven himself a complete shit-eating moron.
Is he a candidate himself? :XD

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:02 pm

With 8 days to go, sitting just north of 1,300 votes cast. A total of 70 people voted yesterday, Nov. 22nd. Total votes cast will probably land within about 10% of last year — probably a little on the short side.
link

RfB

Moral Hazard
Super Genius
Wikipedia User: Kiefer.Wolfowitz
Nom de plume: Kiefer Wolfowitz

Unread post by Moral Hazard » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:55 pm

Speaking of Teutonic folklore:

Can you or Giraffe Stapler put a Valkyrie on the hood of Elon Musk's Tesla Cybertruck (T-H-L) with broken glass and adorned with
No Kudpung!
--Trust & Safety
surrounded by unicorns with the names of the civility-über-alles candidates?
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
Kiefer.Wolfowitz (T-C-L)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
Neal Stephenson (T-H-L) Cryptonomicon

Jans Hammer
Gregarious

Unread post by Jans Hammer » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:09 pm

:like: :rotfl:

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:25 pm

New slogan for the site?

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:31 pm

Appropriate font :XD Which one is it?

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Osborne wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:31 pm
Appropriate font :XD Which one is it?
A TrueType font called "Luminari."

t

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:04 pm

I count 22 voter guides this year, a rather large percentage of them are unhelpful or badly conceived.

Some of them are done in a way that suggests the user compiling them is genuinely trying to make a helpful guide based on the best information available, with of course their own opinions as well.

Others are simple "did they give the right answer to my question?" axe-grinders.

And then there's a few that are just.... inexplicable. It's like people who vote "neutral" at RFA with comments like "I haven't done the research yet so this is a placeholder" as if everyone is just dying to know what their specific opinions on the subject are, "ego guides" if you will.

And of course one or two painfully unfunny joke guides.

Osborne
Habitué

Unread post by Osborne » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:40 pm

Randy from Boise wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:03 pm
A TrueType font called "Luminari."
Thank ya.

The Devil's Advocate
Habitué
Wikipedia User: The Devil's Advocate

Unread post by The Devil's Advocate » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:02 am

Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:32 pm
Final Prediction

1. NewYorkBrad
2. Casliber
3. KrakatoaKatie
4. Worm That Turned
5. Maxim
6. Xeno
7. David Fuchs
8. Beeblebrox
9. Gadfium
10. SoWhy
11. Barkeep49

=====

12. Bradv
13. llywrch
14. DGG
Since last year showed the voter guides have a strong predictive value and Carrite lost out, I think it is worth posting here to note how the guides say this will end up. Here is how the rankings look based on the net support/oppose breakdown:

1. Worm That Turned
2. Casliber
3. NewYorkBrad
4. Xeno
5. Gadfium
6. SoWhy
7. Maxim
8. David Fuchs
9. Barkeep49
10. Bradv
11. Llywrch
_
12. DGG
13. The Rambling Man
14. Beeblebrox
15. Thryduulf
16. Enterprisey
17. KarakatoaKatie
18. Kudpung
19. Hawkeye7
20. Isarra
21. Richwales
22. Calidum

Those with the highest net support typically end up on ArbCom, though towards the edges it gets murkier. Whoever gets the most support in the guides is often the top vote-getter and who gets the most opposes is usually at the bottom. Based off this, it would suggest Worm might actually end up at the top over NYB, which is admittedly an odd result. However, there may be a reason for it as I do detect a certain anti-incumbency sentiment. A lot of the guide support is for fresh blood with only respected stalwarts managing to make it out with high marks. This may benefit Worm, who has had a much shorter tenure than NYB. It is a close contest, though.

While DGG or Beeblebrox might be able to pull through, the gap between them and Llywrch is not small. Given how utterly murdered Katie was in the guides, it would be quite astonishing if she ended up on the Committee and that happening would probably be enough on its own to suggest the guides are not a great gauge of voter sentiment. Calidum is almost certain to be at the very bottom and I don't think that should surprise anyone. Most of the rankings aren't a huge shock, I think, with Katie failing and Brad not being no. 1 being the biggest upsets if the guides end up proving predictive again.

"For those who stubbornly seek freedom around the world, there can be no more urgent task than to come to understand the mechanisms and practices of indoctrination."

- Noam Chomsky

Randy from Boise
Been Around Forever

Unread post by Randy from Boise » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:30 am

The Devil's Advocate wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:02 am
Randy from Boise wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:32 pm
Final Prediction

1. NewYorkBrad
2. Casliber
3. KrakatoaKatie
4. Worm That Turned
5. Maxim
6. Xeno
7. David Fuchs
8. Beeblebrox
9. Gadfium
10. SoWhy
11. Barkeep49

=====

12. Bradv
13. llywrch
14. DGG
Since last year showed the voter guides have a strong predictive value and Carrite lost out, I think it is worth posting here to note how the guides say this will end up. Here is how the rankings look based on the net support/oppose breakdown:

1. Worm That Turned
2. Casliber
3. NewYorkBrad
4. Xeno
5. Gadfium
6. SoWhy
7. Maxim
8. David Fuchs
9. Barkeep49
10. Bradv
11. Llywrch
_
12. DGG
13. The Rambling Man
14. Beeblebrox
15. Thryduulf
16. Enterprisey
17. KarakatoaKatie
18. Kudpung
19. Hawkeye7
20. Isarra
21. Richwales
22. Calidum

Those with the highest net support typically end up on ArbCom, though towards the edges it gets murkier. Whoever gets the most support in the guides is often the top vote-getter and who gets the most opposes is usually at the bottom. Based off this, it would suggest Worm might actually end up at the top over NYB, which is admittedly an odd result. However, there may be a reason for it as I do detect a certain anti-incumbency sentiment. A lot of the guide support is for fresh blood with only respected stalwarts managing to make it out with high marks. This may benefit Worm, who has had a much shorter tenure than NYB. It is a close contest, though.

While DGG or Beeblebrox might be able to pull through, the gap between them and Llywrch is not small. Given how utterly murdered Katie was in the guides, it would be quite astonishing if she ended up on the Committee and that happening would probably be enough on its own to suggest the guides are not a great gauge of voter sentiment. Calidum is almost certain to be at the very bottom and I don't think that should surprise anyone. Most of the rankings aren't a huge shock, I think, with Katie failing and Brad not being no. 1 being the biggest upsets if the guides end up proving predictive again.
While I freely acknowledge that my predictions were off last year, your list of outcomes of “the guides” is actually your own personal prediction wrapped in the guise of a consensus list. Not all polls are equal; some of them are frankly terrible, others are incomplete. Show your math: what weights are you giving to each particular poll? Which ones are you excluding and why?

There's nothing wrong with your list mind you; we disagree on, what, two slots? I’ve got Beebs and Katie on, you've got Bradv and Llwrch (in your 10th and 11th slots, incidentally; I have them just out of the money at 12 and 13). You could be right. I could be right. We'll see. Names making or missing the cut at the bottom of the list are pretty much a coin toss proposition.

I suspect that the thing that has your panties in a wad about such a small discrepancy between our lists is my (fairly safe) prediction that Katie will garner copious support as the only woman in the race; whereas you read the panning of her candidacy in a majority of the guides as indicative. Wanna bet $5 to charity on that proposition: whether she wins or loses? I’m sure you can come up with a soup kitchen for hungry white nationalists or some such that would inflict sufficient psychic damage upon me if you win. As for me, I will be putting the kitties aside and going straight ACLU for you, baby.

Whattaya say?

tim