Ritchie333

Discussions on Wikimedia governance
AngelOne
Regular
kołdry

Re: Ritchie333

Unread post by AngelOne » Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:50 am

The iban remains in place. Since Ritchie said he wanted to be able to bring up the ban in UCoC discussions, ArbCom helpfully passed a motion:
stating the obvious, ArbCom wrote:In the interest of furthering discussion around the UCOC, admin sanctions, and other such reforms, the interaction ban between Praxidicae and Ritchie333 is amended after the last sentence to add Parties may discuss the existence of the ban, and examine its implications, but remain forbidden from discussing each other and interacting with each other.
Even if Praxidicae hadn't objected to removing the iban, I don't think it would have been lifted based on that appeal. Reading between the lines, I saw "I didn't do anything wrong and if I did overstep it was because I was in a really bad place. Also if I did overstep it was justified because gender gap. Also what I did couldn't be harassment because I know exactly what harassment is, there's only one way to do it, and I didn't do that."

I have every sympathy for what Ritchie was going through in his personal life back then, and I'm glad that he's doing better now. I don't think the iban is unjustified (even if I think it was handled badly by Arbcom) and I hope someday it can be lifted.

Jazzman
Contributor

Unread post by Jazzman » Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:52 am

I also have every sympathy for Ritchie333 (T-C-L) who is is certainly not one of the admin rights group that WO generally chooses to hate. I would however hate to see him do something silly that would finally get Arbcom to wrench his bits.

Despite all the perennial claims on RFAs that it's hard to desysop an admin later, Arbcom has been gleefully making a show over the last 2 years of how easy it actually is by simply pandering to the whims of the usual pirchfork club and sometimes even to the personal the vengeance of their own members.

This has been a long thread, and what follows are a few snippets from the long Ritchie thread (cherry-picked and edited of course, but not disingenuously) with a couple of comments. More importantly, the main leitmotif doesn't seem to be Ritchie at all, but more about what a crap, corrupt institution Arbcom really is, and I share that belief.
Kudos to Beeblebrox (T-C-L) who went against his word and joined it again, and providing some frank insights about it.

Looking over again at some of the major cases since Framgate, later iterations of the committee rarely seem to get things right where admins are concerned, and like their predecessors just seem to be hell bent on ridding Wikipedia of some of its most industrious admins/outreach workers. Ironically, some of its own new members have come dangerously close to being thrown out for dubious behaviour (RexxS affair).

Arbcom seems (IMO) to be generally made up of two factions: some really nice people (of all genders), and some really nasty pieces of work (from all genders). The really nice ones tend to abstain or recuse themselves to avoid losing face with some of the others who appear to be the incompetent nasty ones.

Time goes fast and yet another ACE is already looming on the horizon. Perhaps if some of the users here (who are not blocked or banned) were to come out of hiding and express their thoughts about Arbcom openly on-Wiki...
mendaliv wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:34 am
I'm trying to figure out on what grounds the Committee did that anyway. It's just a motion out of nowhere. No findings of fact, no evidence. Exactly the opposite of what they're supposed to be doing.
Jans Hammer wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:19 am
It has quickly brought rent-a-mob out with their pitchforks
10920 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:51 pm
Like I said before, this has to be the most inept and incompetent ArbCom in history.
ZettaComposer wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:16 pm
I've always considered Ritchie to be a generally good person […] but every super active person in Wikipedia's dramatic areas end up losing their cool at some point or another.
Alex Shih wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:18 pm
…Praxidicae/Chrissymad's antagonistic approach to the project needs to be corrected at one point. […]… a motion that perfectly reflected the prejudgement of guilt.
Dysklyver wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:24 pm
Well Praxidicae is kinda abrasive, […] having to ever talk to them is something to be avoided.
Kumioko wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:58 pm
Most of the very active admins are on Facebook, twitter, Quora, etc. talking about Wikipedia stuff. .
Kumioko (T-C-L) couldn’t be more wrong, but then, he usually is.
mendaliv wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:05 am
The most egregious aspect of these secret proceedings is how badly the Committee twists its role in the community. […] But the changing role of the Committee over the years…means that there's an expectation of findings of fact such that the greater community can understand why decisions were made and take corrective action with respect to their own behavior…
mendaliv wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:51 am
I'm honestly of the opinion that the entire Arbitration Policy needs to be rewritten. The people who are in there now are treating it like a dais from which they can promulgate anything about anybody without any accountability.
Poetlister wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:02 pm
What has gone wrong is that [Arbcom] fancies itself as a court, so its rulings establish precedents of wide applicability. While there have been lawyers on it, such as Fred Bauder and NYB, basically it is unqualified for this role.
10920 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:29 pm
The members of ArbCom continue to provide more and more evidence that they're either extremely incompetent or downright corrupt.
Alex Shih wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:49 am
Looks like WTT is revealing his true face. I've long said the "nice guy" persona that he tries to play on Wikipedia has deceived many.
10920 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:22 pm
I fail to see how shutting down the conversation is honorable.
Ritchie wanted to point out that ArbCom was lying and Worm did not like that.
Vigilant wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:11 am
And a sitting arbiter comes to the talk page of the recently sentenced, taunted, blocked, and taunted again to vent her spleen...
Is hypocrisy a necessary trait to be elected to ARBCOM or do they provide on the job training?
GorillaWarfare is referred to there - of course - removing posts she doesn’t like. GW might not actually be as well-liked on Wikipedia as she thinks she is.
10920 wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:22 am
Until the current ArbCom is voted out, it'd be downright foolish to involve yourself in any sysopping.
Unfortunately this appears to be a new trend and subsquent Arbcom elections have not shown any change of heart.
Jans Hammer wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:49 am
I am looking forward to 12 months time when some of the whinging, whining, ever-complaining, never satisfied, wikilawyering, borish loudmouths are elected in ACE2019 and have served 7 months. Yes, the current AC is poor by virtually any standard, but the future.... could be even worse.
It certainly didn’t get any better either in ACE2019 or ACE2020.
mendaliv wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:24 pm
Letting the Committee make things up as they go along is how we got into this mess. Especially as we're seeing the emergence of new Committee procedures, many actions are being taken, perhaps by analogy to real-world situations, without fully understanding those situations.[...] Most of this stuff is straightforward enough, it just requires a willingness to look at some fine details of the process.
10920 wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:28 pm
...you'd be hard-pressed to come up with any iteration of ArbCom that has done worse than the current one.
It does get worse with every new iteration…
Alex Shih wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:38 pm
WTT is once again revealing his true hypocritical face that I have been criticising in WT:ACN. [...] Throwing shade at Ritchie [...] is almost identical to the same tactics of outright lying WTT (Worm That Turned (T-C-L)) employed against me previously.
Ritchie joins the thread with his first (and very long) WO post:
Ritchie333 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am
The basic problem of Praxidicae (T-C-L) is one that has (IMHO) caused terminal damage to Wikipedia for at least 12 years and shows no signs of stopping.
Praxidicae then came onto my talk page shouting like a trooper; I told them to calm down, then when that didn't work I told them to get lost.
Your problem is you appear to go around looking for trouble, defacing articles and nominating them for deletion, and when you are challenged on it, you get angry and upset and start insulting the other parties. You need to assume more good faith."
I can't see any way that that's toxic, incivil or a personal attack. editors and conduct. I realise that some of you might be saying "Come on Ritchie, it took you - what - ten years to figure this out? Some of us had cottoned on about it ages ago", but there you go.
[…] I realise much of the above is long-winded and goes into excessive detail, but you can't reduce something like this to simple slogans and soundbites.
TheElusiveClaw wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:11 pm
Praxidicae is a a-hole and always has been, regardless of the name they use. Now anyone who isn't very good at writing for the 'pedia, and attracts the attentions of an Admin can go running to Tits&Shits or ArbCom and scream "Harrassment!" and they are halfway home to having the case decided in their favour. [...] the result can be given as a fait accompli and ArbCom wil never, ever, ever back down, even if they are shown they've made the entirely the wrong decision
Sound familiar?
Kumioko wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:30 pm
Let me start off by saying welcome and I hope you stick around and comment on some other topics.
Obviously we are not fans of each other so it may shock you to hear that I agree with almost everything you said above. Almost! [...] Prax is toxic, I agree, but so are a lot of other users and admins, many of which have been discussed here. [...] I also think that this is a perfect example of the frequently seen attitude on Wikipedia that "I don't care about what happens to others until it happens to me". Many other users have been wrongfully sanctioned, blocked and banned by arbcom and others due to lies, manipulation of policy, secret evidence, etc....
What Kumioko forgets is that he was actually defended by one or two admins - one of whom claims to have met him in RL - and others who saw his socking but didn’t report it. Kumioko dug his own hole and thinks everyone else is to blame.
Beeblebrox wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:39 pm
It really is a shit job, By the time I'd been on for a few months I was glad I only got a one-year term and knew I wouldn't run again, there's now ay I could've done that for three years without burning out. It's just endless, there's always something that's not getting done, and there's always somebody telling you how much you suck. And, being perfectly frank, there is always at least one arb who does suck.
Thanks for being (mostly) honest, Beeblebrox (T-C-L), but here in 2021 you are’ back on the committee again…

Fast forward:
AngelOne wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:50 am
I have every sympathy for what Ritchie was going through in his personal life back then, and I'm glad that he's doing better now. I don't think the iban is unjustified (even if I think it was handled badly by Arbcom) and I hope someday it can be lifted.

ZettaComposer
Contributor

Unread post by ZettaComposer » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:20 am

Jazzman wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:52 am
Time goes fast and yet another ACE is already looming on the horizon. Perhaps if some of the users here (who are not blocked or banned) were to come out of hiding and express their thoughts about Arbcom openly on-Wiki...
I’m not active on Wikipedia anymore because I’ve had better things to do with my life lately, but best of luck fighting the good fight or whatever it is you are trying to accomplish with this gigantic text dump.

Gregarious

Unread post by 10920 » Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:34 pm

Jazzman wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:52 am

Despite all the perennial claims on RFAs that it's hard to desysop an admin later, Arbcom has been gleefully making a show over the last 2 years of how easy it actually is by simply pandering to the whims of the usual pirchfork club and sometimes even to the personal the vengeance of their own members.

This is accurate. Several examples over the past few years of admins being stripped by ArbCom over minor things.

Beeblebrox
Habitué
Wikipedia User: Just Step Sideways

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:57 am

I certainly have not experienced any "glee" related to a desysop case. They are an important and necessary function of the committee, but they are not any fun. I mean, no arbcom case is fun, but dessyop cases are a guaranteed headache no matter what you do. You take the tools, you're a cruel unfeeling tyrant, you don't take them, you're soft on your cabal pals who probably bribed you. :sadbanana:
information is not knowledge, knowledge is not wisdom

Vigilant
Sonny, I've got a whole theme park full of red delights for you.
Wikipedia User: Vigilant
Wikipedia Review Member: Vigilant

Unread post by Vigilant » Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:09 am

But being an admin is no big dealio, right?
Hello, John. John, hello. You're the one soul I would come up here to collect myself.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:24 pm

Beeblebrox wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:57 am
I certainly have not experienced any "glee" related to a desysop case. They are an important and necessary function of the committee, but they are not any fun. I mean, no arbcom case is fun, but dessyop cases are a guaranteed headache no matter what you do. You take the tools, you're a cruel unfeeling tyrant, you don't take them, you're soft on your cabal pals who probably bribed you. :sadbanana:
You did volunteer to be on Arbcom. :tinyviolin: Nobody twisted either of your necks, did they? :D
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:56 am

I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for me or for arbcom, I'm just saying it's ridiculous to suggest we desysop admins for fun.

Jazzman
Contributor

Unread post by Jazzman » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:55 am

Probably not for 'fun' per se, but we would be naive to believe that some of the more recent past and present members of Arbcom didn't join in the hope of the opportunity to flex their muscles on a high profile desysoping. Isn't such a case what makes it all worthwhile?

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:58 pm

RexxS was not a case of ArbCom showing strength. They picked off a recent (and very very weakly) promoted admin where a warning/admonition would've probably sufficed.

If they went after the obviously politically-motivated characters like, say, MastCell, then they would show they weren't just picking off the stragglers who had fallen out of grace after a recent promotion. Speaking of whom, I see they continue to fight the good fight for the "best" among the WikiWarriors:
MastCell wrote:OpPoSiNg BiGotRy iS tHE rEaL biGotRy. I thought you knew? :P

source = UserTalk:MjolnirPants
too lazy to figure out how to color the capitals blue and the lower-case letters red...
los auberginos

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:08 pm

I'm not sure how this seems to escape so many people, but arbcom takes cases that are brought to it, it does not "go after" anyone, except in the case of bright-line violations so extreme that they merit an immediate desysop.

Poetlister
Genius
Nom de plume: Poetlister

Unread post by Poetlister » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:18 pm

I hope that most people here realise that ArbCom is not resourced to be a police force. Maybe a solution to some of the problems on Wikipedia would be to have police who do "go after" offenders. I can't see that ever happening, and if it did, how would we ensure that these police aren't as bad as the rogue admins or troublesome editors who should be caught?
"The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly" - Nietzsche

Giraffe Stapler
Habitué

Unread post by Giraffe Stapler » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:59 pm

Poetlister wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:18 pm
I hope that most people here realise that ArbCom is not resourced to be a police force. Maybe a solution to some of the problems on Wikipedia would be to have police who do "go after" offenders. I can't see that ever happening, and if it did, how would we ensure that these police aren't as bad as the rogue admins or troublesome editors who should be caught?
In the Wikipedia justice system, the Community is represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The Wikipolice, who investigate wikicrime, and the Arbitration Committee, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.

Beeblebrox
Habitué

Unread post by Beeblebrox » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:11 pm

Giraffe Stapler wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:59 pm
In the Wikipedia justice system, the Community is represented by two separate yet equally important groups: The Wikipolice, who investigate wikicrime, and the Arbitration Committee, who prosecute the offenders. These are their stories.
(DUN DUN noise)

I mean... kind of, except the cops are self-appointed. And are sometimes the actual "criminals".

Bezdomni
Habitué
Wikipedia User: RosasHills

Unread post by Bezdomni » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:28 am

Beeblebrox wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:08 pm
... arbcom takes cases that are brought to it, it does not "go after" anyone, except in the case of bright-line violations so extreme that they merit an immediate desysop.
Yes, I guess my informal use of the term "go after" is what brought this all on. As BbbRx knows, in the case of MastCell a case was brought to ArbCom and declined, as there was some danger it might expand into AmPol3, which would surely have been untidy in the summer of 2020.

I guess that now we know what it takes for ArbCom to "go after" someone (having the mob vote a banned sock -- who isn't Cirt as far as we know -- onto the ModSquad).

Meanwhile this thread is supposed to be about Ritchie333, who voted to give IW the golden ring (twice). :D
los auberginos

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:51 am

Midsize Jake
Site Admin
Wikipedia Review Member: Somey

Unread post by Midsize Jake » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:03 am

Holy shit, admins aren't allowed to bash politicians? Why would anyone want to be an admin at all, under such conditions?

Whatever will they come up with next... The Kardashians? Geriatric rock musicians? Tom Hanks? Other websites?

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:22 am

I took a peek at the nominator’s user page to see what kind of userboxes he prefers, but was overwhelmed with the sheer quantity of them to read any. They’re very colorful, though.

FelinaLavandula
Regular
Nom de plume: Arugula

Unread post by FelinaLavandula » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:38 am

I hate to be crude, but the only one of any importance, to my mind, is the one that says “This user’s waifu is Wikipe-tan”… speaking of userboxes that deserve to be deleted. :hmmm:

Mason
Habitué

Unread post by Mason » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:45 am

Eww

AndyTheGrump
Habitué
Wikipedia User: AndyTheGrump (editor/heckler)

Unread post by AndyTheGrump » Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:22 am

FelinaLavandula wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:38 am
I hate to be crude, but the only one of any importance, to my mind, is the one that says “This user’s waifu is Wikipe-tan”… speaking of userboxes that deserve to be deleted. :hmmm:
You clearly haven't seen said user's Commons uploads.

Ritchie333
Gregarious
Wikipedia User: Ritchie333

Unread post by Ritchie333 » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:31 pm

I've recently added "This user despises Vladimir Putin and thinks he should be tried in The Hague for war crimes" but that hasn't made it to a user box yet.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:25 pm

And if you say nice things about politicians you get blocked...

Guess some editors are more equal than others...

Lyallpuri
Critic

Unread post by Lyallpuri » Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:38 pm

Well, no, that user was blocked for denial of the Uyghur genocide. That they also happen to support Assad is not a coincidence, of course, but it's not the reason that the banhammer was applied.

Smiley
(Not a cat)

Unread post by Smiley » Sat Mar 05, 2022 4:37 am

Scorpions13256
Now living on a nice farm upstate
Wikipedia User: Scorpions13256

Unread post by Scorpions13256 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:37 pm

I had a feeling that she would eventually get blocked for genocide denial. I'm mad at myself for not reporting her racist userspace rant last summer.